ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB 2025 Recruiting Thread

@BraydonRoberts5 what about Taliyah Henderson — any idea of her schedule? Last I heard staff had taken at least two visits to AZ and they went well. I don’t think she has been to campus yet (tho I could have missed it).

Also, do you know the nature of Deals injury? Thx as always for the good insight.

Reactions: letsgosports
@BraydonRoberts5 what about Taliyah Henderson — any idea of her schedule? Last I heard staff had taken at least two visits to AZ and they went well. I don’t think she has been to campus yet (tho I could have missed it).

Also, do you know the nature of Deals injury? Thx as always for the good insight.
Henderson recently visited Oregon. Looks like Michigan, Utah, Cal, & Oregon have been at her games in January according to social media posts.

Also, do you know the nature of Deals injury? Thx as always for the good insight
I think it was a high ankle sprain.

Here's my source on the Deal injury: https://www.ocregister.com/2023/12/...-to-miss-remainder-of-the-season-with-injury/

Henderson's HS team played Tuesday, but also play tonight, so it's not her.

Reactions: shikreto
2nd official visit! Wow. Very exciting.

Some offers: Tennessee, Iowa, Illinois, Utah, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Colorado, North Carolina, Washington, Maryland, Indiana, K-State, Duke, Oregon.

Not a bad list at all (but not elite either). Could bode well for us...Iowa is def the highest profile of those listed above (unless I missed some). She's not currently in the ESPN Top 100 but that may be bc it's hard to get attention when you live in Alaska.

2nd official visit! Wow. Very exciting.

Some offers: Tennessee, Iowa, Illinois, Utah, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Colorado, North Carolina, Washington, Maryland, Indiana, K-State, Duke, Oregon.

Not a bad list at all (but not elite either). Could bode well for us...Iowa is def the highest profile of those listed above (unless I missed some). She's not currently in the ESPN Top 100 but that may be bc it's hard to get attention when you live in Alaska.
Her recruitment blew up after Chicago last summer. High level footwork for someone that height & age. Mallegni, Guyton, Heiden, Houston, Deal, and her would be incredible.

She got quite a show tonight.

Edit: I wanted to add to my comment from last night. That takes quite a commitment to make the trip to Iowa during the season. Probably flew to Minny and then to CR. Not an easy trip. She got to see history being made. Hope she joins the 2026 class. Hays and Heinen would make for quite the inside presence for the Hawks in the future.

Last edited:
Can’t be her her 2nd official visit as a recruit now can take unlimited official visits but only oneperteam.

Kyle wrote an article regarding Layla's visit. In the article he reported her aunt is Leah Magner who played for Iowa in the early 2000s. I believe she was recruited and played for Angie Lee, but Jan and Lisa coached her for her final year. I'd think that connection should help our story.

Kyle wrote an article regarding Layla's visit. In the article he reported her aunt is Leah Magner who played for Iowa in the early 2000s. I believe she was recruited and played for Angie Lee, but Jan and Lisa coached her for her final year. I'd think that connection should help our story.
I have a good feeling about her based on the article. If she doesn’t come, I think it will be because she wants to commit to a school on the West Coast or somewhere with more access to nature (**cough** Colorado).

Also, what a perfect game to come and see on your visit! I wonder when state tournaments are scheduled for some of our recruits. If schedules line up correctly, I bet we will see some recruits visiting the weekend of the OSU game at home or when we host games in the tournament.

Last edited:
She actually played her last two years for Lisa. Amazing that Angie Lee recruited two good players out of Alaska, both Leah Magner and Beatrice Bullock.

Reactions: UptownHawk
Leah Magner - The Alaskan Assassin. She made a huge 3 in I believe was her last game or one of her last. She had injured her ankle and could hardly walk and she was in late when the game was on the line and nailed a huge 3 that won the game as I recall.

You guys should check out Addie Deal's Likes on Twitter. It's absolutely flooded with Iowa stuff. She likes stuff by Megan Gustafson, Jan, Raina, Kyle, Go Iowa Awesome, anything about Clark...

I get that social media doesn't necessarily mean *anything at all*, but man...it's obvious there's no other program/coaching staff she's in touch with/follows at this level. She also has affection for Iowa State, Ohio State, Indiana, LSU, Alabama and Stanford, and a bit more for Oregon, Baylor, TCU, and Utah....but she's not engaging with their stuff anywhere near the level she is with Iowa. She used to engage with LSU pretty regularly but it seems that's cooled...

I would still guess LSU and Stanford are her other top options...if LSU gets her, it's gotta come down to money. If Stanford gets her, it's gotta be academics/location and I can't really fault her for that. If anyone else gets her, it'll be very disappointing.

Really trying to manifest a 2025 class of Houston, Hays and Deal with good juju....

Pop Tv Please GIF by One Day At A Time

Last edited:
You guys should check out Addie Deal's Likes on Twitter. It's absolutely flooded with Iowa stuff. She likes stuff by Megan Gustafson, Jan, Raina, Kyle, Go Iowa Awesome, anything about Clark...

I get that social media doesn't necessarily mean *anything at all*, but man...it's obvious there's no other program/coaching staff she's in touch with/follows at this level. She also has affection for Iowa State, Ohio State, Indiana, LSU, Alabama and Stanford, and a bit more for Oregon, Baylor, TCU, and Utah....but she's not engaging with their stuff anywhere near the level she is with Iowa. She used to engage with LSU pretty regularly but it seems that's cooled...

I would still guess LSU and Stanford are her other top options...if LSU gets her, it's gotta come down to money. If Stanford gets her, it's gotta be academics/location and I can't really fault her for that. If anyone else gets her, it'll be very disappointing.

Really trying to manifest a 2025 class of Houston, Hays and Deal with good juju....

Pop Tv Please GIF by One Day At A Time

This video from July of 2022, so after her 9th grade year. Looks like a great slasher; I especially like how she uses the backboard on lots of shots. Kind of a lost art these days, but I've long maintained that if you practice it you'll shoot a higher percentage than those who attempt the straight-in method. I'm saying my prayers and rubbing my rabbit's foot on her.

That takes quite a commitment to make the trip to Iowa during the season. Probably flew to Minny and then to CR. Not an easy trip. She got to see history being made. Hope she joins the 2026 class. Hays and Heinen would make for quite the inside presence for the Hawks in the future.
I know right? I was thinking this too. If she’s not the kind of kid that loves multi-leg itineraries that can run up to 10 hours, her recruiting journey is gonna be a slog. Really glad she thought Iowa was worth the time and effort.
Hopefully she doesn't get the text that changes everything. Her older sister plays at Eastern Washington.
Looks like they offered her back in June.

Prospects Nation does rate Hays # 21 for the '25 class.
Wow! As always, appreciate the good updates.

Just did a scroll through the PN rankings of 2025. If Bluder could somehow pull off the miracle of landing Deal, Speiser, and Hays -- in addition to Houston of course -- that could conceivably (for a moment in time, at least) be their #1 recruiting class. Their ranks are #5, #14, #21, and #30 respectively. Not to mention Taliyah Henderson at #35 and Destiny Jackson at #37...

The lack of an offer to Zediker is still a head-scratcher lol.

In any case, Bluder has certainly set her sight very high for this class. The next six months will be very interesting as commitments pick up in Spring/Summer.

Last edited:
Wow! As always, appreciate the good updates.

Just did a scroll through the PN rankings of 2025. If Bluder could somehow pull of the miracle of landing Deal, Speiser, and Hays -- in addition to Houston of course -- that could conceivably (for a moment in time, at least) be their #1 recruiting class. Their ranks are #5, #14, #21, and #30 respectively. Not to mention Taliyah Henderson at #35 and Destiny Jackson at #37...

The lack of an offer to Zediker is still a head-scratcher lol.

In any case, Bluder has certainly set her sight very high for this class. The next six months will be very interesting as commitments pick up in Spring/Summer.
Zediker's offer list wasn't particularly impressive. A fair bit worse than Levin's from what I could find quickly.

My guess is she was a secondary target, but one they didn't want to offer before they knew what Deal, Speiser, etc. will do. To the extent that Deal and Speiser seem like real possibilities if they offer Zediker and she commits quickly that throws a wrench in the best-case plan.

I hope she (and our other big recruiting prospects) visits during the weekend of the OSU game or when we host in the tourney!
Good news! Coach Jensen confirmed that they are expected to have “a lot of great recruits” visiting this weekend and will be in attendance for the OSU game. Unfortunately, I don’t have any names confirmed. Does anyone know who is supposed to be visiting?

Hopefully, we get a big win and have a lit atmosphere for College Game Day!

Quite a few AZ fans pulling for Henderson to stay home. Adia Barnes took them to the Final Four only a few years ago, not too crazy to think Henderson would be tempted to become Wildcat.

But they faded fast after that run and they seem to be trending anywhere but up….this year has been a head scratcher for them, and it keeps getting weirder….

Quite a few AZ fans pulling for Henderson to stay home. Adia Barnes took them to the Final Four only a few years ago, not too crazy to think Henderson would be tempted to become Wildcat.

But they faded fast after that run and they seem to be trending anywhere but up….this year has been a head scratcher for them, and it keeps getting weirder….

Arizona feels eerily similar to Oregon: huge success, then a decently big falloff after the players that had that success graduated. They've also had some trouble with players transferring out.

That's not to say that Henderson won't pick them, but there are plenty of teams that have offered her that have a more optimistic outlook IMO.

Arizona feels eerily similar to Oregon: huge success, then a decently big falloff after the players that had that success graduated. They've also had some trouble with players transferring out.

That's not to say that Henderson won't pick them, but there are plenty of teams that have offered her that have a more optimistic outlook IMO.

Oregon is a rly good comp. Lots of “toxic environment” whispers (and some full on allegations) amidst a slew of transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT