ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa WBB 2025 Recruiting Thread

Academia is way overrated, unless you want to work in academia, then it's everything.

Got my undergrad degree at Iowa, now work in the medical field. Never once was asked where I went to school.

My 29 year-old daughter is an editor for the online edition of the San Francisco Chronicle. I'll give you one guess where she got her journalism degree. That's right, the U of Iowa.

Going to Iowa will not hold you back academically.
Agree- couple of boys with communication degrees and both making a lot of money in fields not related to communication-

Reactions: amahawk
Ohio State women reloading, too...commitment from the #2 recruit in the country.

Ohio State women reloading, too...commitment from the #2 recruit in the country.
That actually happened awhile ago. She's the sister of a current roster player. They're always gonna have a lot of talent but their coach is only okay. He has disappointed more often than not, including this year. If Bluder was their coach they'd be national champs. They're also prone to massive roster turnover which is happening again this off-season -- they only return 5 players for next year I think. But yeah, a tough out for us unless we can continue to up the athleticism of our recruits.

Last edited:
Been pretty quiet on the 2025 front. Keeping my fingers crossed that we hear from McGaughy or Hays soon. Love Speiser's game also, she can really shoot, but she has been awfully quiet.

Been pretty quiet on the 2025 front. Keeping my fingers crossed that we hear from McGaughy or Hays soon. Love Speiser's game also, she can really shoot, but she has been awfully quiet.
McGaughy still has some visits left. She said she wants to choose before summer. Glad we won’t have to wait too long for that one.

Reactions: letsgosports
McGaughy still has some visits left. She said she wants to choose before summer. Glad we won’t have to wait too long for that one.
Was wondering why hadn't seen a "Thanks for the awesome visit" from Brynn regarding Duke. Poster on Duke board says she's visiting there in May.

Was wondering why hadn't seen a "Thanks for the awesome visit" from Brynn regarding Duke. Poster on Duke board says she's visiting there in May.
She was just there! She posted an Instagram story from there lol. Maybe she didn’t like it? Haha weird. I guess it’s possible the first one was just a swing by while she was at UNC. God I hope not, that’d be very not good for us.

And a time or two at Duke with Stanford and Cal joining the ACC.
Thing is, for McGaughy California really isn't close. Cal and Stanford are more than 800 miles away. USC and UCLA are more than 1,100 miles. Those are all far closer than Iowa City, but it wouldn't be easy for her her family to go see her at any of those schools.

The only major schools anywhere near her are Washington and Gonzaga and even Washington is a 4 plus hour drive.

I have the sense we've arrived at a point where one of our top recruit targets is going to decide in the next couple of weeks. Seems like most of their questions should be answered by now?

Further, I think Bluder and staff are probably feeling a lot more confident in their ability to recruit beyond the Midwest, and among top 20 players. Both Deal and Olsen remarked how effective/welcoming Iowa's approach was in their choice. Hope I'm getting this right!

I have the sense we've arrived at a point where one of our top recruit targets is going to decide in the next couple of weeks. Seems like most of their questions should be answered by now?

Further, I think Bluder and staff are probably feeling a lot more confident in their ability to recruit beyond the Midwest, and among top 20 players. Both Deal and Olsen remarked how effective/welcoming Iowa's approach was in their choice. Hope I'm getting this right!
Any clue as to who that is?
Ok if you want to keep it a secret.

Any clue as to who that is?
Ok if you want to keep it a secret.
I have no new information to provide, unfortunately. Just posting around the notion that there's not much mystery left around their decision-making after major portal players have committed. But there have been positive signs from a few different players indicating they might be close. Esp. Layla Hays, but also Skinner, Speiser, and McGaughy have shown some interest. I'm feeling the most confident about Hays, but I don't know that her commitment sways the others, However, if one of the other three commits, then we might see another, or both of them choose Iowa. If not, we may lose all three. These girls all follow/communicate with each other; and I cannot pretend to understand that dynamic. But there are others on this thread who follow some of them more closely than I do; let them chime in.

Reactions: Nile High and Torg
Mcgaughy and Speiser are both forwards, one signing could actually mean the other goes elsewhere. McGaughy said she wants to choose by summer and she still has to visit at least two more schools. Hays and Skinner I think are likely to visit more schools into the summer.

Reactions: HIWILLE and Torg
Mcgaughy and Speiser are both forwards, one signing could actually mean the other goes elsewhere. McGaughy said she wants to choose by summer and she still has to visit at least two more schools. Hays and Skinner I think are likely to visit more schools into the summer.
We could use all the 6'-6'2" athletic players that can also shoot we can sign. Plenty of minutes available in Lisa's system for them!

McGaughy in some highlights of her teams win yesterday.

I have no new information to provide, unfortunately. Just posting around the notion that there's not much mystery left around their decision-making after major portal players have committed. But there have been positive signs from a few different players indicating they might be close. Esp. Layla Hays, but also Skinner, Speiser, and McGaughy have shown some interest. I'm feeling the most confident about Hays, but I don't know that her commitment sways the others, However, if one of the other three commits, then we might see another, or both of them choose Iowa. If not, we may lose all three. These girls all follow/communicate with each other; and I cannot pretend to understand that dynamic. But there are others on this thread who follow some of them more closely than I do; let them chime in.
Saw a

Thing is, for McGaughy California really isn't close. Cal and Stanford are more than 800 miles away. USC and UCLA are more than 1,100 miles. Those are all far closer than Iowa City, but it wouldn't be easy for her her family to go see her at any of those schools.

The only major schools anywhere near her are Washington and Gonzaga and even Washington is a 4 plus hour drive.
McGaughy's recruitment is interesting. Saw a west coast report that had Iowa down the pecking order behind UCLA, UConn, Duke, and NC. UConn now has openings with several portal entries. Don't know where she stands. with UCLA. She recently visted Duke and NC, which were on her list. Can her visit to Carver Hawkeye move the needle in our favor? If Iowa could get Brynn, that would be a major coup for Coach Bluder.

We could use all the 6'-6'2" athletic players that can also shoot we can sign. Plenty of minutes available in Lisa's system for them!
Shikreto is right, it's more likely we get one of the two. But also one reason I thought we might see someone commit a little early to snag the spot. If Hays also commits, I'm sure Bluder's priority is Skinner or another PG. Not sure we'll have another roster spot available.

Shikreto is right, it's more likely we get one of the two. But also one reason I thought we might see someone commit a little early to snag the spot. If Hays also commits, I'm sure Bluder's priority is Skinner or another PG. Not sure we'll have another roster spot available.
I don’t rly think one scenario is more likely than the other, just that it’s possible. Look at Duke — they just signed Fournier, very similar profile to McGaughy. We speculated that that could impact her decision. It may not. Same goes for Iowa is all.

The thing about Skinner is Iowa already has an heir apparent PG in Greenway for ‘26. I have a hard time seeing Greenway committing if we sign someone like Skinner (unless such a ‘25 kid ends up playing the 2).

To be clear I think Bluder signs any of these kids given the chance lol I’m just trying to be realistic about what these kids could be thinking. I don’t see Bluder telling Speiser no thanks if McGaughy signs. I still think Speiser and Hays are (perhaps significantly) more likely to become hawks than McGaughy or Skinner.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torg
McGaughy's recruitment is interesting. Saw a west coast report that had Iowa down the pecking order behind UCLA, UConn, Duke, and NC. UConn now has openings with several portal entries. Don't know where she stands. with UCLA. She recently visted Duke and NC, which were on her list. Can her visit to Carver Hawkeye move the needle in our favor? If Iowa could get Brynn, that would be a major coup for Coach Bluder.
UCONN has 2 scholarships available if they choose though many suspect Reagan Beers will get one. They & Duke signed top 10 kids at McGaughy's position in the 24 class which should help Iowa's cause with regard to playing time. I believe she has visits to Oregon and Washington left?? Have not seen anything about her visiting UCLA.

Reactions: Torg and Nile High
UCONN has 2 scholarships available if they choose though many suspect Reagan Beers will get one. They & Duke signed top 10 kids at McGaughy's position in the 24 class which should help Iowa's cause with regard to playing time. I believe she has visits to Oregon and Washington left?? Have not seen anything about her visiting UCLA.
Beers visiting OU today.

Good for her, that shuts me up. I guess the UConn follows came after a visit rather than a commitment. I hope she goes to OU and they kill the Big 12. I want Jennie B to be as successful as possible before she becomes head hawk :)
You mean kill the SEC?

Seeing some things online about someone hacking into players personal accounts/photos? No idea what it's about, but some people are pretty angry about it.

I don’t rly think one scenario is more likely than the other, just that it’s possible. Look at Duke — they just signed Fournier, very similar profile to McGaughy. We speculated that that could impact her decision. It may not. Same goes for Iowa is all.

The thing about Skinner is Iowa already has an heir apparent PG in Greenway for ‘26. I have a hard time seeing Greenway committing if we sign someone like Skinner (unless such a ‘25 kid ends up playing the 2).

To be clear I think Bluder signs any of these kids given the chance lol I’m just trying to be realistic about what these kids could be thinking. I don’t see Bluder telling Speiser no thanks if McGaughy signs. I still think Speiser and Hays are (perhaps significantly) more likely to become hawks than McGaughy or Skinner.
I think Lisa would have a hard time saying no to a commitment from Skinner on the chance Greenway might sign the following year.

• Love
Reactions: HIWILLE
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT