ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Womens Bball Portal Targets

Best case scenario Guyton is on the court by November. That means she misses all summer and fall — she won’t learn the system. She’ll miss strength and conditioning. When the actual season comes around, “practice” becomes rarer and rarer. I don’t see her having time to catch up. Especially since it probably won't be best-case scenario. Many kids take a full year (or more) to get back to form.

Johnson will also miss summer (not as essential for a sophomore but still a critical piece for anyone who hasn’t seen meaningful minutes) and won’t be healthy til even later. And she will now likely regress in the weight room, which is essential for her to be able to get on the floor. She was already someone doubtful to be ready to step up as starting PG….this makes it MUCH harder.

We NEED a veteran PG from the portal. Stremlow and Levin are better than nothing, but it’ll be a bumpy ride.
Guyton tore her ACL late December, not sure when she had surgery, but if she had it February 1st, August 15th would be 7 months. I would think she would be competing hard come mid September.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Right after one of their best players said she’s return for Year 5 too.
Fired with a winning percentage north of 66%.

Standards!

Falling to 3/4/5 in the SEC pecking order likely not acceptable with boosters.

Fired with a winning percentage north of 66%.

Standards!

Falling to 3/4/5 in the SEC pecking order likely not acceptable with boosters.
I agree that Top 2 is probably their standard, but that's also a fairly tough pitch to a new coach. The seat is already pretty hot if you must top one of Staley or Mulkey in 4 years or else you're out of a job.

For the most part, I think people on this thread are very respectful of the players and focus on their abilities and team needs. But occasionally we do seem to devolve into personal attacks against each other. Spurious accusations included. On this particular subject, the notion that Kate and Georgia might be some sort of couple is germane if it means that Amoore might be more likely to commit to Iowa. However, KM will most likely be playing in Europe next year, so don't know if it matters.
Kate will most likely be on a college staff somewhere coaching.

Reactions: amahawk
Tom, a bit off topic, do you know the nature of Houston’s knee injury? I feel like we didn’t get a straight answer here and I kinda forgot about it. TIA as always for your input.
I believe it was cartilage tearing away from the bone, if I understood what she was saying correctly...not ACL. Mom said it would be a 6 month rehab. Before the surgery Journey didn't have much of a limp and they didn't seem overly concerned. A big deal, obviously, but far from panicking about the injury.

She also has the 'do not contact' tag next to her name. Good chance she knows where she's heading, but would love to see her run Lisa's offense for a season.
Thank you for posting! Haven’t seen that detail anywhere tbh — and I’ve been asking various reporters. If it says Do Not Contact, it’s KY. No reason to speculate further.

Besides a point guard, what’s the chance of us going after a workhorse upfront that can rebound with her offense for one year? I know it’s LSU but man we got pounded on the boards. A lot of teams have got the best of us.

Reactions: amahawk
Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post
Vaguely transfer related but more about last year -- Didn't someone post here that Iowa contacted Aneesah Morrow last offseason but Morrow didn't return the call? Looking for verification of that

Vaguely transfer related but more about last year -- Didn't someone post here that Iowa contacted Aneesah Morrow last offseason but Morrow didn't return the call? Looking for verification of that
I believe it was stated Iowa reached out to a couple of players but no one officially confirmed names though many suspected Morrow was one of them...not 100% sure???

I believe it was stated Iowa reached out to a couple of players but no one officially confirmed names though many suspected Morrow was one of them...not 100% sure???
Also Lisa stated on a podcast early in the year that they reached out to a select few transfers, but they were above Iowas salary cap. Looking at what Iowa had coming back (3 centers plus Stuelke). they either needed a dynmic 4 or a big5 that was better that where they thought Sharon/Addie could get to. That's actually a small list. I dont think people appreciate how many power 5 teams OGrady could start for. We all complain about corporations that just hire from outside ignoring in house talent, but fans do the same thing when it comes to the portal. There just aren't that many 6'5 centers that can play the way Iowa plays and will mesh with the players on the team. This year we need a point guard that can play the Iowa way, fit in, and would be an upgrade over what we have (3 really inexeperienced 2 of which are hurt, a couple of people out of position), and the list of condidates that meet that criteria is still pretty small.

Penn State likes to play fast. She was integral to their team being very good this year. Could be a very good — and very realistic — fit, tho her assist numbers aren’t elite for a PG. Shot stellar from 3 her freshman year and regressed just a bit her soph year.

Not super tall but she was #56 in her class.
Had offers from NC state, NC, Louisville, UCLA, V Tech. Not too shabby at all….Only a soph, so we’d have to risk burning an eligibility year (not sure how much we rly should worry about that tho).

Last edited:
Not familiar with this one. Seems to be a big deal. Of course, her coach just got the new VT job….but she’s been in the portal longer. So either the HC nudged her in or she wasn’t a fan of the HC to begin with.

Best case scenario Guyton is on the court by November. That means she misses all summer and fall — she won’t learn the system. She’ll miss strength and conditioning. When the actual season comes around, “practice” becomes rarer and rarer. I don’t see her having time to catch up. Especially since it probably won't be best-case scenario. Many kids take a full year (or more) to get back to form.

Johnson will also miss summer (not as essential for a sophomore but still a critical piece for anyone who hasn’t seen meaningful minutes) and won’t be healthy til even later. And she will now likely regress in the weight room, which is essential for her to be able to get on the floor. She was already someone doubtful to be ready to step up as starting PG….this makes it MUCH harder.

We NEED a veteran PG from the portal. Stremlow and Levin are better than nothing, but it’ll be a bumpy ride.
Guyton related to former Drake player Gus?

I heard today that Iowa did not reach out to Morrow because they didn’t think she was a fit.

Reactions: undersized_post

I was waiting for this one tbh based on her season and that of MS State. Bluder was all in on her a couple years ago. She is Kennise’s best friend (at least she was in HS— they are still very connected on social media tho) and former AAU teammate. She is a PG.

Her other finalists were Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers and Pitt. She was ranked right around where Hannah was in the low 40s, with an offer list from all over the country but few elite programs in the mix (kinda like Affolter). I see Raoul mentions she had a ND offer but I would guess that window has closed with their return to glory and plethora of guards.

MS state was very trendy at the time of her commitment due to their new coach and tbh it felt like a very not serious choice (he had never been a HC before). But she did a podcast discussing her recruitment, where she spoke very highly of Bluder and the value of her many years of experience.

Illinois will probably go hard for her. Michigan State has a new coach but probably will as well. Rutgers will probably reach out but if she wants to have a better season, Rutgers wouldnt be a good pick. Not sure if Bluder feels she still wants her / would prefer someone with more experience….she and Raina both still follow her on twitter.

In some ways, she would be an ideal replacement for Guyton, who was Plan A —a similar profile, but a year older and a bit more highly regarded. The two of them could be a great PG tandem duo.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any info whether Bluder is actually pursuing a PG in the portal? It seems like a given to a lot of us here, but she always plays this stuff very close to the vest.

Does anyone have any info whether Bluder is actually pursuing a PG in the portal? It seems like a given to a lot of us here, but she always plays this stuff very close to the vest.
The only confirmed target is Maddie Scherr from Kentucky and she was going to wait until a new coach was named before making a decision on whether to stay or not. Hard to say what she'll do with them signing Amoore. She definitely won't see much time at the PG position however Brooks could use her as a 2. I would think if she feels there is a role for her, she ends up staying.

Reactions: Kurt Johnson

I was waiting for this one tbh based on her season and that of MS State. Bluder was all in on her a couple years ago. She is Kennise’s best friend (at least she was in HS— they are still very connected on social media tho) and former AAU teammate. She is a PG.

Her other finalists were Michigan State, Illinois, Iowa, Rutgers and Pitt. She was ranked right around where Hannah was in the low 40s, with an offer list from all over the country but few elite programs in the mix (kinda like Affolter). I see Raoul mentions she had a ND offer but I would guess that window has closed with their return to glory and plethora of guards.

MS state was very trendy at the time of her commitment due to their new coach and tbh it felt like a very not serious choice (he had never been a HC before). But she did a podcast discussing her recruitment, where she spoke very highly of Bluder and the value of her many years of experience.

Illinois will probably go hard for her. Michigan State has a new coach but probably will as well. Rutgers will probably reach out but if she wants to have a better season, Rutgers wouldnt be a good pick. Not sure if Bluder feels she still wants her / would prefer someone with more experience….she and Raina both still follow her on twitter.

In some ways, she would be an ideal replacement for Guyton, who was Plan A —a similar profile, but a year older and a bit more highly regarded. The two of them could be a great PG tandem duo.

This could be interesting. I always thought that the Kennise Johnson recruitment was in an effort to get Brown.

Adding Brown now might affect the recruitment of other future players they want more. I think in a perfect world they truly just want a 1 year player to fill in at PG until Stremlow and Guyton are ready to take over.

Definitely worth watching. I know they really wanted Brown out of high school. Now they have an injured Guyton, is there still room for Brown?

I don't see them going after someone with multiple years of eligibility left. With that said, it will be interesting to see what happens if they can't find a one year player. They need an experienced PG more than they needed a post last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT