ADVERTISEMENT

is deacon hill the average qb we've been searching for?

no-absolutely.gif

I swear Deacon and the Illinois quarterbacks could have each thrown three interceptions each. But he had no space to throw to guys. Our receivers and tight ends made some crazy catches while Illinois guys had great coverage.

My casual observation is that he is much better while moving than when planted in the pocket. When he rolls out and throwsit ten yards down field I feel pretty good about it. When he stands in the pocket and throws it 20 yards I know it’s going to be tough to tell who he was aiming for.

In Deacon’s first 4 games, he completed just under 37% of his passes.

In his last three games, he’s completed over 65% of his passes.

I’m just trying to figure out what could have happened a little over 3 weeks ago that could have influenced this change in offensive production.

I’m just trying to figure out what could have happened a little over 3 weeks ago that could have influenced this change in offensive production.
Practice, experience, repetition. He barely played in HS. Covid impacts.

More #1 reps in practice. His last #1 reps were early in camp.

I don't think Deacon is the answer as QB1 in the future but he's improved to capable backup status. Don't turn the ball over, take advantage of short fields, stay calm/focused and execute when a big play is there for the taking.

Reactions: desihawk
Practice, experience, repetition. He barely played in HS. Covid impacts.
That darn Covid.🤔😷😃

He has looked great the last two games as he's finally turned down that cannon a few notches.
Deacon made some great throws yesterday in tight windows. And he can get it out fast enough to make the WR screen effective.

Hill combines the worst attributes of Jake Christensen, Spencer Petras, and Frankenstein’s monster. He struggles completing any passes greater than 10 yards. A program with Iowa’s resources can, and should, do much better.

I swear Deacon and the Illinois quarterbacks could have each thrown three interceptions each. But he had no space to throw to guys. Our receivers and tight ends made some crazy catches while Illinois guys had great coverage.
The first play of the game, a pass to Ragaini went through 2 IL DB. I thought for sure it was going to be intercepted.

I don’t think Deacon will be on the team next season, unless it is looking likely going into spring camp that Cade will not be healthy enough to go by the start of the season. The new OC will not settle on him as the clear QB2, and I don’t picture him sticking around to compete for QB2 with a freshman and probable transfer also.

The first play of the game, a pass to Ragaini went through 2 IL DB. I thought for sure it was going to be intercepted.
Yep. That one. There was another play where he threw a pass near midfield that went right through a linebackers hands and Seth Anderson made a great contested catch. Kaleb Brown got open on a play action for some big yards but other than that Deacon was throwing into tight or non existent windows.

Reactions: desihawk
Yep. That one. There was another play where he threw a pass near midfield that went right through a linebackers hands and Seth Anderson made a great contested catch. Kaleb Brown got open on a play action for some big yards but other than that Deacon was throwing into tight or non existent windows.
The 3rd down conversion near midfield on the 4th quarter TD drive is a great example. I think NR only caught the ball because DH embedded the ball into his chest protector while Nico had a guy all over him. One of the biggest plays of the day.

Body of work. Hill isn't average yet.

Every time the Hawks went empty backfield I was scared to death it was going to be a sack or an int.

It speaks to the offensive scheme when Hawk receivers are rarely wide open. Heck, the Iowa defense allows receivers to get loose a few times a game, but it seems like almost every Iowa completion is to a well-guarded receiver.

The 3rd down conversion near midfield on the 4th quarter TD drive is a great example. I think NR only caught the ball because DH embedded the ball into his chest protector while Nico had a guy all over him. One of the biggest plays of the day.
Lol embedded the ball into his chest protector

Last two games
against IL: 19/29 65.5% 167yards 1TD 0 INT Rating 125.3
against RU: 20/31 64.5% 223yards 1TD 1 INT Rating 129.1

Nothing crazy but that completion percentage is exactly what we've been missing for a long time.
Hill still ranks LAST nationally in most QB stats. And even so, his terrible stats don't tell the whole story, as he had 4 or 5 very interceptable balls against Illinois that were simply dropped by the defense because the balls were so poorly thrown.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT