ADVERTISEMENT

is deacon hill the average qb we've been searching for?

I swear Deacon and the Illinois quarterbacks could have each thrown three interceptions each. But he had no space to throw to guys. Our receivers and tight ends made some crazy catches while Illinois guys had great coverage.
I remember 3 coming back to the huddle shaking his head after being overthrown by 10 yards when he was open.

Reactions: uihawk82
I swear Deacon and the Illinois quarterbacks could have each thrown three interceptions each. But he had no space to throw to guys. Our receivers and tight ends made some crazy catches while Illinois guys had great coverage.
I’ll say yesterday Deacon threw into some tight windows and I haven’t seen our receivers make as many tough catches as they did. All of them made some really tough catches with the defense all over them. Normally we would have dropped at least 4-5 of those. Kudos to our receivers.

Stanley was the average QB we needed. Hill is far below that.
we've only seen hill briefly. not disagreeing with you but there have been a few (easy) passes for big yardage that deacon has completed that nate and petras routinely missed.

Last two games
against IL: 19/29 65.5% 167yards 1TD 0 INT Rating 125.3
against RU: 20/31 64.5% 223yards 1TD 1 INT Rating 129.1

Nothing crazy but that completion percentage is exactly what we've been missing for a long time.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

I'd take Petras any day over Hill .
Two weeks ago yes but it is a push now. The pass protection this year has been better than last year so Petras might have completed a few more.

But I will say that Hill puts the ball near his targets better at a slightly higher rate than Petras or Padilla.

I am hoping MarcoL is outstanding and beats out everybody next year.

More #1 reps in practice. His last #1 reps were early in camp.

I don't think Deacon is the answer as QB1 in the future but he's improved to capable backup status. Don't turn the ball over, take advantage of short fields, stay calm/focused and execute when a big play is there for the taking.
I'd like to see him lose 50 lbs. If he worked on his weight, he could move bettet.

Two weeks ago yes but it is a push now. The pass protection this year has been better than last year so Petras might have completed a few more.

But I will say that Hill puts the ball near his targets better at a slightly higher rate than Petras or Padilla.

Hill throws a less-pickable ball than Petras or Padilla.

He's made some bad decisions/reads, but he can at least make simple throws out into the flats and towards the sidelines without it getting picked.

There is also a very small bit of value in him sailing balls over receivers' heads so that either our guy catches it......or nobody catches it.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Lol really? You followed Iowa long?
A new OC coming in and if they really know QB play and Marco excels what would keep him off the field. He seems to be taller, faster, and maybe a better runner and passer than Cade, Hill, Labas, etc

Last two games
against IL: 19/29 65.5% 167yards 1TD 0 INT Rating 125.3
against RU: 20/31 64.5% 223yards 1TD 1 INT Rating 129.1

Nothing crazy but that completion percentage is exactly what we've been missing for a long time.
No, but to his credit, he seems to be working hard and improving. Of course the bar had fallen ridiculously low.

Remember this was an offense that hit a point where it went, what, 6 quarters without a completion to a WR? I’m glad to see Hill starting to get a little more rhythm with Brown & Anderson.

He's made some bad decisions/reads, but he can at least make simple throws out into the flats and towards the sidelines without it getting picked.

There is also a very small bit of value in him sailing balls over receivers' heads so that either our guy catches it......or nobody catches it.
Sailing passes over the middle is how the hawks intercept so many passes. I would rather Hill was a tad low with passes and are receivers would be the only ones to go down and get them

Body of work. Hill isn't average yet.

Every time the Hawks went empty backfield I was scared to death it was going to be a sack or an int.

It speaks to the offensive scheme when Hawk receivers are rarely wide open. Heck, the Iowa defense allows receivers to get loose a few times a game, but it seems like almost every Iowa completion is to a well-guarded receiver.
First off, why should Iowa ever go empty backfield and just tell the defense to pin their ears back and squash are qbs. Some of those empty backfields were on 2nd and 3rd a less than 5 yards to go. Leave a running back in with the QB just to threaten a power run.

First off, why should Iowa ever go empty backfield and just tell the defense to pin their ears back and squash are qbs. Some of those empty backfields were on 2nd and 3rd a less than 5 yards to go. Leave a running back in with the QB just to threaten a power run.
🤷‍♂️

Sailing passes over the middle is how the hawks intercept so many passes. I would rather Hill was a tad low with passes and are receivers would be the only ones to go down and get them
tate sucked at first. so did stanley. then they learned

Guys, the last 2 games Hill has looked serviceable. His completion percentage. passer rating, and QBR these last few games are significantly better than what Cade had this season. He's light years better than when he started, and had he not started out like he did I think a lot of you would have a more favorable opinion of how he's performing today.

A new OC coming in and if they really know QB play and Marco excels what would keep him off the field. He seems to be taller, faster, and maybe a better runner and passer than Cade, Hill, Labas, etc

Kirk will still be making all the decisions and he's proven over the years he knows absolutely nothing about who should be at qb

The last 2 games is Push, I agree.

BF/Hill are throwing more to WR's and that has opened up the field. Kaleb Brown emergence has been huge.

I think Petras has the edge on accuracy but Hill stays in the pocket and doesn't panic. Petras used to bail the pocket and get sacked by DEs his OT's were still engaged in blocking.

Surprisingly on the 1-scramble/QB run we saw out of Deacon, he looks at least as quick as Petras who was quite slow footed.

Serviceable is still in eye of beholder. We put up 15 pts vs crappy Illini team and one of the TDs was generated by long RB run, not QB play. Hill needs to improve his accuracy and we still need better WR play. The Oline looks much improved.

The last 2 games is Push, I agree.

BF/Hill are throwing more to WR's and that has opened up the field. Kaleb Brown emergence has been huge.

I think Petras has the edge on accuracy but Hill stays in the pocket and doesn't panic. Petras used to bail the pocket and get sacked by DEs his OT's were still engaged in blocking.

Surprisingly on the 1-scramble/QB run we saw out of Deacon, he looks at least as quick as Petras who was quite slow footed.

Serviceable is still in eye of beholder. We put up 15 pts vs crappy Illini team and one of the TDs was generated by long RB run, not QB play. Hill needs to improve his accuracy and we still need better WR play. The Oline looks much improved.
Our wide receiver play on Saturday was as good as it's been all year. I know, I know, that's not saying much. However, Brown basically catches everything thrown his way right now. Made at least 2 catches on Saturday w/guys draped all over him, as did Nico and Anderson I know made 1. That's 5 balls that we were not catching earlier in the year. I feel Brown is an actual number 1 receiver you can build around in the future. A 4 star guy that went to Ohio State. Anderson could be a solid number 2. Scheme is huge, whether some of you believe it or not. We need a coordinator that can scheme guys open just a bit. Our tight ends are open, why are our receivers rarely open? IF, and big if, we can get a competent coordinator we have pieces.

Reactions: NI hawk
Our wide receiver play on Saturday was as good as it's been all year. I know, I know, that's not saying much. However, Brown basically catches everything thrown his way right now. Made at least 2 catches on Saturday w/guys draped all over him, as did Nico and Anderson I know made 1. That's 5 balls that we were not catching earlier in the year. I feel Brown is an actual number 1 receiver you can build around in the future. A 4 star guy that went to Ohio State. Anderson could be a solid number 2. Scheme is huge, whether some of you believe it or not. We need a coordinator that can scheme guys open just a bit. Our tight ends are open, why are our receivers rarely open? IF, and big if, we can get a competent coordinator we have pieces.
I strongly believe this is all scheme and qb play. Hell we had a first team all American as our fourth string receiver. If that ain’t indicative of a coaching and scheme problem, I don’t know what is.

He's looked decent and ok.
Considering the circumstances he’s been ok. Along with the injuries to the TE’s, RB’s and moving people around up front he gets a passing grade. He’s stayed healthy so compared to the rest of them he’s filled in as best as he could.

Reactions: amahawk
Sometimes I think he throws the ball 180mph cause he’s afraid of being picked off. I just wish he would put a little more “touch” on the ball. But he is not doing too bad and if he runs for one first down a game than it’s a bonus!!

Did not realize how great his stats were in the 1st half against Ilinois, until I re-watched the game. Was there on Saturday and knew it seemed good.

Just maybe needs to learn a little better as to when to get out and throw the ball away though.

He has 5 INT's not sure they are "less pickable" ... 5 of 7 games he has thrown picks.

Marco likens his game to Banks. We should be so lucky.

Hes settled in and is playing a little better. With that said, he had a few Saturday, that were damn close to going the other way (One for sure that was batted down by an Illini D lineman, thank god)

Hes settled in and is playing a little better. With that said, he had a few Saturday, that were damn close to going the other way (One for sure that was batted down by an Illini D lineman, thank god)
I swear there should have been like six interceptions thrown, half by each team, and there wasn’t actually even a single pick Saturday! It was crazy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT