ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa landing recruits that can compete with Penn St for the next coming years?

Riggins could very well end up at that level, I agree he looks very talented but I was talking more on paper his overall ranking is not in that top tier. Schriever wasn't in the top tier either after the injuries. Right now Schriever would be ranked outside AA level in the #15 give or take neighborhood. Bottom line is we need high AA and national champ level wrestlers to win titles. Next year we have Spencer, Cass and Warner coming back who meet that criteria, (all top tier recruits) and it will be the last year for 2 of them. Nobody else on the team has proven they are likely top 4 and the 3 most encouraging to get there are Ayala and Kennedy who were top tier recruits and Henson who was right there close. To be a yearly title contender you need your fair share of top tier recruits.
Riggins is in the top tier. Made a world team final taking a match from Levi Haines, and has also traded matches with Josh Barr. He was also a Fargo finalist. His body of work isn’t quite as extensive but his trajectory certainly suggests that he’s a blue chipper. Gets to legs against everybody, and is a good athlete. I would take him over any recruit in this class not in the top 10. Criminally underrated

Wrestling raised their own money. It's not coming from the budget.
Understand the facility was not to receive funding from the dept. my question was is it fully funded from private sources. If not don’t think a loan is in the offering considering the $262 million debt of the athletic dept. the answer to this question may bear on date of groundbreaking.

If he comes back healthy, Van Ness is expected at 149 for PSU next year and could be a tough matchup for Murin.

Levi Haines is unbeaten in two college opens so far this year and he is killing people. PSU will probably plug him at 157 as a true freshman. He could face Paddy Gallager in the semis at Edinboro Open and if Gallager takes the mat I wouldn't be surprised if Haines wins. Probably will be AA level right out of the gate.

Howard will be 125 for them. If RBY actually does move on you can bet they will convince a high AA transfer to hit the portal. 141 will be Bartlett, 149 probably Van Ness although he hasn't proven any more than Bartlett to this point. I'd guess Haines at 157, Facundo at 165, Starocci at 174, Brooks 184, Dean 197 and Kerk 285. Beard enjoying Bench time.
Plenty of good points and so many things can still happen as has been stated. Does RBY actually move on? Will this kid come back healthy, does this freshman or redshirt turn it on??? Add in who stays healthy, what young studs do the work in off season?

As always, will be fun, and the bottom line is. Neither team is going anywhere soon!

Haines and Gallagher set to meet in the semis. Chance Lamer looking pretty tough for Michigan. Looks like they are pulling his shirt for 149. He has the varsity singlet on today at Edinboro.
Haines wins 8-3. 1-1 going into the 3rd. Gallager got a TD. Escape Haines and then got his own TD and got a turn off a turk for 4.

Reactions: PSUer1989
Paddy wasn't trying.
After the TD he quit. Haines smelled blood and turned him.

Paddy had a great single but ran out of time in 2nd.

But Haines ran him off the mat probably 4-5×s and didn't get a stall any of them.

125: Howard
133: ? (Maybe Cael convinces RBY to come back?)
141: Bartlett
149: SVN
157: Berge
165: Facundo
174: Starocci
184: Brooks
197: Dean/Beard
285: Kerkvliet

3 holes?

vs.

125: Lee
133: Schriever/Ayala
141: Henson
149: Murin
157: ?
165: Kennedy
174: Brands
184: Assad
197: Warner
285: Cassioppi
So holes at 33, 41, 57/65 and 49. Iowa likely with two champs next yr ain’t no long shot

3 holes?

vs.

Two 4 timers plus Kerk and Dean, they don't need RBY. They're tough out for 3/4 years with what they have w/o new recruits. We need some serious recruiting in PA and Ohio again.

ohio

fosu has yet to prove they can excel with top recruits, the exception being Sasso. I’ll believe it when I see it.
Logan Stieber (1, 1, 1, 1) and Kyle Snyder (2, 1, 1, 1) say hi. As do Nathan Tomasello (1, 3, 3, 3) and Myles Martin (1, 6, 2, 3). Bo Jordan (3, 3, 2, 5), too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Longbeard4097
Understand the facility was not to receive funding from the dept. my question was is it fully funded from private sources. If not don’t think a loan is in the offering considering the $262 million debt of the athletic dept. the answer to this question may bear on date of groundbreaking.

Dude, you can post this 10 times and it isn’t going to change the answer. You also aren’t going to suddenly start to understand what you’re talking about.

Logan Stieber (1, 1, 1, 1) and Kyle Snyder (2, 1, 1, 1) say hi. As do Nathan Tomasello (1, 3, 3, 3) and Myles Martin (1, 6, 2, 3). Bo Jordan (3, 3, 2, 5), too.
Developed largely by Lou Rosselli and Tervel Dlagnev, both of whom are gone.

Credit to Jay Jaggers for Sasso.

Remains to be seen how Logan Stieber and Kharchla's dad do with development.

Reactions: Inthecircle
I think we Hawks fans need to acknowledge that with NIL (and their boosters' vast treasury) the lions are now going to be stacked like they are this year indefinitely. It's not going to be just two great ones like Ruth with Taylor, a good supporting cast, and a hole or two. It's going to be four/five great ones and the rest being a good supporting cast that's the norm.

Unless we can consistently have a team like we've had the past two years, we'll be fighting for second.

I think we Hawks fans need to acknowledge that with NIL (and their boosters' vast treasury) the lions are now going to be stacked like they are this year indefinitely. It's not going to be just two great ones like Ruth with Taylor, a good supporting cast, and a hole or two. It's going to be four/five great ones and the rest being a good supporting cast that's the norm.

Unless we can consistently have a team like we've had the past two years, we'll be fighting for second.
How has NIL really changed this? I mean it's brought it a bit more above board I suppose.

How has NIL really changed this? I mean it's brought it a bit more above board I suppose.
A bit above board? How many were really being paid below board? They can now openly be paid from doing anything from commercials or some group buying a thousand t-shirts.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
Arnold, Jesuroga, Riggins, Ayala and Kennedy is a good enough core group to beat anybody.
If we don't match the mega talent PSU gets where they get close to 100 points out of 4 guys then we need to have 10 weights of AA caliber guys with 6-7 mid to high AAs and a couple finalists/champs.

Reactions: LIV4GOD

3 holes?

vs.

Unless a transfer comes in for PSU (or RBY stays), expect Robbie Howard to go 133 and Gary Steen to go 125. Expect 157 to be manned by a transfer or Levi Haines.

( SARCASM >>>SARCASM ) Couldnt we convince TnT to scour the old record books and find any great wrestlers from the past who have moved on with life one way or another....to come back and fill any holes in our line up like Carl has??? a Little NIL and hush slush money would get you to unretire from coaching or overlook CTE issues and wrestle again for the fun of it...all puns intended... I refer to the PSU gang as the NY Yankees of NCAA Wrestling...they just go and rent whatever weight class guys they need for 2 or 3 months....whatever it takes to beat Iowa AND I am not attacking the Transfer Portal because that has been a change and a commitment but guys like Hildebrandt and Berge wont be at PSU the week after Nationals.. Suriano and others are doing the same thing...it will be the ruination of college sports if its not better regulated.

( SARCASM >>>SARCASM ) Couldnt we convince TnT to scour the old record books and find any great wrestlers from the past who have moved on with life one way or another....to come back and fill any holes in our line up like Carl has??? a Little NIL and hush slush money would get you to unretire from coaching or overlook CTE issues and wrestle again for the fun of it...all puns intended... I refer to the PSU gang as the NY Yankees of NCAA Wrestling...they just go and rent whatever weight class guys they need for 2 or 3 months....whatever it takes to beat Iowa AND I am not attacking the Transfer Portal because that has been a change and a commitment but guys like Hildebrandt and Berge wont be at PSU the week after Nationals.. Suriano and others are doing the same thing...it will be the ruination of college sports if its not better regulated.
It would be interesting to see the tax returns of PSU wrestlers. How much are they making for coaching camps, how much income came from each NIL, etc. I suppose each athlete makes their own contract with said companies, as to what their royalty is per item sold?
I’d think Hildebrand and Berge complete their classes. Hildebrand is probably in a Masters Program and will stay with NLWC.
Berge was a good student. I am mot sure if he has his degree in Telecommunications or not.
Suriano is a different story. I’d like to know how many college credits he has?
Maybe he sticks around at Michigan’s RTC?

It would be interesting to see the tax returns of PSU wrestlers. How much are they making for coaching camps, how much income came from each NIL, etc. I suppose each athlete makes their own contract with said companies, as to what their royalty is per item sold?
I’d think Hildebrand and Berge complete their classes. Hildebrand is probably in a Masters Program and will stay with NLWC.
Berge was a good student. I am mot sure if he has his degree in Telecommunications or not.
Berge already said he is going back to SDSU when done.

This thread is about the pieces of the puzzle, which make the puzzle whole.
Let me be more succinct, it’s about the TEAM race. SMH.

No reason we shouldn't be doing the same thing as PSU. Many here have a beta mentality that PSU has so much money we can't compete. I don't believe that. They fill their holes better than Iowa, and they've had more higher end guys. Thats it. Honestly, what's a new facility going to do that a remodel couldn't, other than maybe have a place without cockroaches? Its wrestling. Not that we can, but we'd be better off taking those donations and hiring a NIL marketing firm and hiring a few studs for HWC.

Reactions: Goathead88
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT