ADVERTISEMENT

Is KF aware of any top OC's who run a more explosive type offense?

Or sarcasm
Don’t think he would be a decent OC? I mean I don’t see the Garrett Riley and Ryan Grubbs of the world beating the door down to work with KF… so to me this wouldn’t be a bad hire, with the west coast guys coming into the league it wouldn’t hurt to have someone from out there with the recruiting ins…

According to Tom K when he was on Hawkeye of the storm postgame show. He said Iowa has in fact reached out to Utah OC.
You have to think the only way a good OC would take the job is with an eye on taking over as the HC when KFz retires.

Not knowing whether he might be interested in leaving the NFL, but the Detroit Lions OC Ben Johnson could make a huge difference for our program. He's young, creative, accomplished, and has made the Lions into a title contender this year.

Not knowing whether he might be interested in leaving the NFL, but the Detroit Lions OC Ben Johnson could make a huge difference for our program. He's young, creative, accomplished, and has made the Lions into a title contender this year.
Good thought, but Ben Johnson will be on a short-list of potential NFL HCs this year

Leave a pro job with an up and coming team to go become a college coordinator? Who does that?

All of those that whined for BF to be fired are going to be greatly disappointed whoever the next OC ends up being. Everyone knows what KF formula for Iowa football is, (and it has worked just fine) physical run up the middle, eat up the clock, with some screens,maybe a WR reverse, play action passes and passes to tight ends over the middle. It is what Iowa football is and is not going to change.
I think many of those same people are expecting to see some kind of drastic changes like a spread passing game with mobile running QB. Those people need to stick to watching football on video games .

Nobody is expecting massive change. We are hoping for a reasonably competent offense. Mediocre would be a significant improvement.

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Kirk went the Fry route when he started. He hired a bunch of great coaches who aspired to take on programs eventually.

After that initial 2001-2004 success, Kirk seemed to lean more into culture hires. Meaning guys who fit an Iowa narrative, either thru past association of playing for Kirk, or shared the same coaching vision.

Its been less about guys using Iowa jobs as a springboard.

So i don’t see Kirk hiring some exciting, up and coming OC who has dreams of taking over a program.

He will hire someone who fits in with the Kirks philosophies.

This COULD work as long as they’re not as incompetent as Brian.

Tho now that we lose divisions, i do believe it’s more crucial the offense gets better than average.

Average will win the West easily every year. Now, average might get us 3rd - 6th place in the conference

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Well I think it has to be someone fairly old- a young guy will not want a situation where he knows retirement is within 2-4 years. So focus on a late 50’s, early sixties and out of a job this Spring.
I think Paul Chryst is 57, so I see where you are going with this….😉

My guess is he does. Don’t believe he wants explosive. Get back to a strong running game, play action passing with both TE’s and WR involved is ok with me.

I know what you mean and how you would feel because 1) an internal hire is just lazy on KF's part because 2) and an internal hire really means that person who is promoted was probably better than Brian.

There has to be some more OC's out there who can call the running game but also have a better passing game. A passing game that routinely has routes that get guys open.
NDSU, SDSU, Liberty, Tulane....

Reactions: littlez
I agree. What needs to happen is if he hires outside the program, he better hire someone who can recruit. I'm think it will be Budmyer, so don't expect changes, either in scheme or an upgrade in recruiting.
Let's remember Budmyer is the one who recruited Hill to Wisconsin

Yet somehow no matter how often they see other teams doing it, or even having it work for themselves, they still recruited statues for years…
There has been a huge shift with that the last 4 years tho… Labas Lainez resar and I suppose Cade at one point can move… I think Marco might be next to get a shot. If Michigan tees off on deacon for 3 quarters Marco might get a shot in championship game… unless it’s close I guess but that ain’t happening
Just the threat of a qb that can run forces the defense to plan for it. If he would actually run with a planned play would be all the better.

Just the threat of a qb that can run forces the defense to plan for it. If he would actually run with a planned play would be all the better.
This is the maddening part: the stubborn refusal to move away from QBs built like Greg Brunner.

Iowa’s best offenses have featured QBs capable of breaking off runs of more than 15 yards.

The best OC on the planet can’t help an immobile QB operating behind tissue-paper pass protection.

Prior to Brian's dismissal announcment I am not sure KF even had an idea of some OC candidates. And do any of is think he has 5 names on his radar or list of an OC that runs what we might call an more explosive type offense and an OC who has developed some very good passing teams? That is what this team needs, better passing to open up the running.

Is KF prepared to make a very good hire?
I’m aware of ALL of them.

This is the maddening part: the stubborn refusal to move away from QBs built like Greg Brunner.

Iowa’s best offenses have featured QBs capable of breaking off runs of more than 15 yards.

The best OC on the planet can’t help an immobile QB operating behind tissue-paper pass protection.
I seriously doubt that the best college OC on the planet, in his 7th year in the program, would have a QB, WR and OL room that looks like ours...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT