ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kirk leaving us worse that Hayden did?

Iowa is losing a lot of defensive talent and Taylor after this season, the incoming recruiting class is not very good, these coaches have proven to be failures at portal recruiting, and the schedule competition increases significantly next year. 2024 is going to look at lot like 1998. The only question is will it be another excruciating year of KF/BF, or will it be the first year of a rebuild under a new regime, with some glimpses of hope for the future (with a chance of a decent to good season if the new coaches have some home run portal recruits).

And yet, McCann (as a freshman) was 9-20 with 3 INTs and 115 yards and Reiners 2-7 with 1 INT for 20 yards in the 49-7 loss at Minnesota. In McCann's first season, in 8 games, he had 2 TDs and 5 INTs. Looks familiar. :) Those players improved under Ferentz. Jury is still out on the current team.

Here are Kyle McCann's over all numbers at Iowa. Bad to start. Improvement - yes.
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate

Passing
1998IowaBig TenQB88615954.111797.46.325114.2
1999IowaBig TenQB4255644.62805.04.20183.1
2000IowaBig TenJRQB67913658.18626.35.854117.6
2001IowaBig TenSRQB1114822665.518678.37.51611148.5
CareerIowa33857758.641887.36.42321125.4
What qb has improved under Kirk the last 15 years

Can’t get dumber than this post. 1 game away from the BIG Champ game last yr, shud be 7-1 this yr with a completely depleted OFF personnel.
The last 8 yrs has done the following:

8-5
10-4
6-2
10-3
8-5
9-4
8-5
12-2

It’s stupid ass shit posting fan attitudes like this that keeps some instate recruits away, other out of state recruits from deciding Iowa, bc all their is, is the small majority loud ass Whitney flakes spewing dumb shit like this to set the fan base tone outside of Iowa…. Well done.
Never change, my friend....

What qb has improved under Kirk the last 15 years

Point taken.

I guess I was pointing out the OP ... is Iowa better than when Hayden left. From an offensive standpoint, I am not sure there is much difference. And I think the defense and special teams now seem ahead of 1998, but we aren't at the end of the story yet.

I think people forget how bad the Iowa offense was in 1998. Again, passing numbers were 50% completion percentage, 6 TDs and 15 INTs for the entire season. And rushing was 2.2 yards per carry and 80 yards per game for the season.

This season, so far, passing is 44% completion percentage for 116 yards/game and rushing is 115 yards per game at an average of 3.5 yards per carry.

Both very ... very bad.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Can’t get dumber than this post. 1 game away from the BIG Champ game last yr, shud be 7-1 this yr with a completely depleted OFF personnel.
The last 8 yrs has done the following:

8-5
10-4
6-2
10-3
8-5
9-4
8-5
12-2

It’s stupid ass shit posting fan attitudes like this that keeps some instate recruits away, other out of state recruits from deciding Iowa, bc all their is, is the small majority loud ass Whitney flakes spewing dumb shit like this to set the fan base tone outside of Iowa…. Well done.
L.O.F.L.

Speaking of 'spewing dumb shit' .......

If a recruit bases their choice on a school's fan message boards, we don't ****ing want them and their snowflake personalities.

If a kid has a list of a thousand reasons for either choosing/denying a school to attend, "random internet opinions" shouldn't even be on there, let alone at the bottom of it.

You misspelled your screen name, btw. It should be FerentzChugger.

Again, we recruit lineman, lbs, and TEs. That’s our gig, and gives us a chance. We’ll never be a destination for specialty players and OFF weapons, no history of such before KF or during. Weather, population, other cold powerhouse programs near by etc. huge obstacles. KF knows where he can make a dent and get tons of NFL respect, thus continued interest in those area from recruits.

Bullshit. Our "gig". JFC. You win, go to a Rose Bowl...and follow it with a 2* recruiting class!!!! Ferentz shut down recruiting when there were tons of multi-star recruits still available. I couldn't believe it. That's when I knew he was lazy and didn't give a shit.

Don't even start with recruiting ratings don't matter. The successful programs recruit high rated players. Iowa's failure is not recruiting skilled offensive players. We are consistently among and often the worst offense in Division 1. Goddam what do you think that means? It has been worsening for years. It takes fierce effort to compete for the high-profile athletes, the type needed to compete for even Division titles.

As far as Iowa players in the NFL, look at the positions. TEs, LBs, OLs, LBs, DBs. I don't believe NFL rosters are an automatic endorsement for college programs but see the absence of offensive skilled players. Google same for power programs and you will see skilled offensive positions. Even Iowa State which has RBs, WRs and of course, Purdy on active rosters.

Iowa has one 4 star recruit for next year - on OL, of course. Nebraska has five 4 star recruits the last time I checked. Recruiting is invisible but is the blood feeding the system.

Ferentz can sit on his derriere and draw his 4.5 million since enough fans are happy beating up on Nevadas and Utah States and Big Ten West softies to win 6 or 7 games and get to one of what, 36 bowl games. Well, that's going to change the B1G expands and winning will take WINNING. Ferentz will no doubt bail out and assume his legendary status.

Because Iowa recruits a lot of quality young men. They're not quitters.

I grew up with Jim Zabel's voice on a transistor radio, hanging on every play through those horrible winless seasons. I love Iowa football and Iowa sports. I hate watching Ferentz's lackadaisical demeanor and passing off failure as, "oh well, gee whizz". 23 years, 24 years as a head coach is way too long.

Of course, he recruits quality young men. But damn it, go where the big guns go and recruit what it takes to go against the big guns.

This "oh we're just poor little Iowa City" is bullshit. Gable built a perennial powerhouse. Stringer built a successful program that would have morphed. Bluder is a national star with recruiting to get to 1000 wins and (already) Hall of Fame. Iowa sells out (so far) a 69,500 seat stadium. The TV glamour has faded with the lack of offense.

Reactions: DewHawk
A healthy KJ, Lachey, All, … u can’t be serious. Kj rides a bike for 10 mins before entering the game. His carries r preempted and have to be planned by bike time, thus he has a significant soft tissue injury that is obviously hampering his play. He was looked at as an all BIG type of back coming off of last yr. Again, some of you have no clue.
Lachey and Kaleb are the only two players...why I said a TE or RB

I think that wrestling recruiting and woman's basketball has nothing to due with football. Iowa has produced many NC wrestlers from the state of Iowa, heck CR alone produced Davis, Zalesky, and Ironside among others.

Iowa in 2019 had the #20 college football attendance with Michigan, PSU, and OSU number 1-3. Nebraska #9, Wisconsin #16 and MSU #19 as well as in state rival ISU at #21. So if this is important we are in the middle of the Big 10.

Recruiting opportunity from the 2024 recruiting class where Florida has 6 five star recruits and 68 four star recruits while neighboring Georgia has 5 five star and 46 four star recruits. By comparison Illinois has 1 five star and 11 four star recruits and Iowa usually produces 2-5 four star recruits. Why would these kids come to Iowa when every Florida school has won at least 2 NC since 1991? Parents get to see them play if they pick a SEC or ACC school.

The psychical appearance of the team on Saturday was a little concerning, not a lot of dudes that make you say damn that's a big S.O.B. besides the QB lol

Pretty sure that Cooper Y. Black D. Craig & R. Feth were the only guys that looked different, I don't recall that being the case 5 or 10 years ago. even the reserve WR & RB's looked very small, I know it's supposed to be a developmental program but damn.

Lol. Why do you guys keep typing this? So all of a sudden Kirk at 68 years old is going to fire his son (sure he is) the offensive line coach, and whatever position Budamyr is. This is all on him. 100%. He’s not doing any of that. He’s already said he doesn’t like to do it. Kirk is in charge. If he could have changed the offense he would have already done it. Is Brian over his head? Clearly. Whose fault is that? Not only did he give his son the keys to the offense he also then doubled down and made him QB coach.
I don't know if Brian is over his head or just hog tied

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Again, I do not dispute the fact the Iowa offense is abysmal, likely broken and in need of a complete overhaul or it will continue to cost Iowa games and Kirk Ferentz affection from the Iowa fan base.

But AGAIN, none of that invalidates the accomplishments he has achieved as a future College Football Hall of Fame coach at Iowa.

That's true and the conundrum.

Reactions: littlez
Again, I do not dispute the fact the Iowa offense is abysmal, likely broken and in need of a complete overhaul or it will continue to cost Iowa games and Kirk Ferentz affection from the Iowa fan base.

But AGAIN, none of that invalidates the accomplishments he has achieved as a future College Football Hall of Fame coach at Iowa.
Clearly not. However, many people on here ( and not saying you are one as I don't know) think because of what he's done he should be allowed to go out on whatever terms he wants. In my opinion that's just ridiculous. Does he honestly "deserve" until 2029 to keep doing it his way? This is absolutely not sustainable the way we are playing. Someone has to be the adult in the room, whether it's the new Ad (interim) President, or whoever. Kirk and Brian can't be allowed to just come back next year and say and do the same things, because as we know nothing will change. How do you feel about him living out his contract to 2029?

The team had some talent. No denying it.

However, the way the 1998 season ended was demoralizing. They lost their last 4 games by a combined 161-35. There was no excitement, no juice, no nothing in the program.

Minnesota (a non-bowl team) beat Iowa 49-7 in the Metrodome. Iowa had 68 plays for 221 yards. Minnesota had 73 plays for 501 yards. And, that is with Minnesota's QB Billy Cockerham going 9-23-1-139 yards. It was bad. Almost Bob Commings bad.

What I wouldn’t do to see any Iowa football team gain so many offensive yards against Minnesota.

Reactions: hawkirugged17
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT