ADVERTISEMENT

Is Kirk leaving us worse that Hayden did?

Currently, it’s not close. Not anywhere close. In a roster sense, not within 100 miles. They are not talentless, they are however not put in any position to succeed on offense, and then that is exacerbated by some crippling injuries.

Iowa lost on Saturday. What a long two weeks are in for…
Not sure about your assessment. Where do we have anyone on offense who would start for any other team? A TE or RB maybe. Buying players with NIL will be our only chance. It's only gonna get worse next year so yes we are as bad as Haydens last years

Reactions: IAHUNTER
Can’t get dumber than this post.

It’s stupid ass shit posting fan attitudes like this that keeps some instate recruits away, other out of state recruits from deciding Iowa, bc all their is, is the small majority loud ass Whitney flakes spewing dumb shit like this to set the fan base tone outside of Iowa…. Well done.
"Can't get dumber than______"

Then proceeds to blame recruiting on message board posts instead of having the worst offense in the country. Really can't make this stuff up.

Holy hell…It’s hard to describe how dumb that is.

Iowa would likely have been Michigan State, if we are in the business of trying find the closest comp in the East.
Too bad i dont care what the last 10 results vs each of the Big 3 is considering Ohio state was on the schedule twice and Michigan 3 times (not counting B1GCG) since the East snd West became a thing. Thats a lot of avoidance being in the B1G west.

Currently, it’s not close. Not anywhere close. In a roster sense, not within 100 miles. They are not talentless, they are however not put in any position to succeed on offense, and then that is exacerbated by some crippling injuries.

Iowa lost on Saturday. What a long two weeks are in for…

What makes you think this "talent" you speak of is going to stick around?

(Iowa loses one game to Minnesota, with a massive assist from the zebras)

This board: If everything aligns perfectly, Iowa could have a competitive team again in half a decade.

Calm the fvck down. Iowa will be quite good next year, if they hire any random high school coach to run the offense, and Kirk leaves him the fvck alone. If they don’t, I have feeling they’ll be competitive. Just like they have been nearly every year for the last 45 years.

McNamara and All would disagree. Both top flight offensive recruits and transfers. McNamara getting hurt in fall camp hurt his ability to get timing and reps with the receivers and he played hurt and now out for the season as is All and Lachey.
Thank you. Iowa has been a run and TE first offense since Ferentz got here. How quickly everyone forgets not having our two top TE's and QB. In addition RB injuries have not helped. Would our offense play as badly with these guys, no. Would we score 25 a game, probably not. Should Brian be canned, yes. He gets out coached every second half. I personally don't think he coaches well, off script.

Not sure about your assessment. Where do we have anyone on offense who would start for any other team? A TE or RB maybe. Buying players with NIL will be our only chance. It's only gonna get worse next year so yes we are as bad as Haydens last years
A healthy KJ, Lachey, All, … u can’t be serious. Kj rides a bike for 10 mins before entering the game. His carries r preempted and have to be planned by bike time, thus he has a significant soft tissue injury that is obviously hampering his play. He was looked at as an all BIG type of back coming off of last yr. Again, some of you have no clue.

• Haha
Reactions: TRHawkeye145
Chuck Long said on a podcast that Fry wanted to retire after the 95 season and the players talked him into to staying. If Kirk decided to retire the defense talent is fine but most obvious is the offense needs new life.

I don’t see any offensive talent in the next few years, and there also appears to be a drop coming on the defensive side of the ball. Hayden left the cupboards not completely bare, a few snacks here and there. Kirk’s offensive philosophy has made recruiting offensive players….well, top flight players, impossible. It’s going to affect the defensive recruiting as well. Am I the only one who sees several years of losing ahead, regardless of who is coaching next year?
When Fry left the cupboard was empty. So no - we are not close to where we were when Fry left. There is talent on this team.

I think it’s safe to say we all scratch our heads about why Kirk has dug his heels in when the offense has reached catastrophic proportions.

We had Ken OKeefe and who woulda thunk we’d long for those days

He brought in Davis and that was a flop

And then he named buy wonder the OC in what has to be one of the biggest coaching gaffes in recent times

KF should step away at the end of the season. Brian will be gone. And competition is going to get way harder. Now, Brian will be lucky to be OLine coach at Jefferson Elementary. Kirk did his son no favors.

The time for change is now. Kirk’s stubbornness and flippant reactions to any question that even half-way resembles a difficult question - shows he believes he is larger than Iowa football.

Reboot now … there is no Kirk 4.0

Can’t get dumber than this post. 1 game away from the BIG Champ game last yr, shud be 7-1 this yr with a completely depleted OFF personnel.
The last 8 yrs has done the following:

8-5
10-4
6-2
10-3
8-5
9-4
8-5
12-2

It’s stupid ass shit posting fan attitudes like this that keeps some instate recruits away, other out of state recruits from deciding Iowa, bc all their is, is the small majority loud ass Whitney flakes spewing dumb shit like this to set the fan base tone outside of Iowa…. Well done.
oh the tired, look at his records response

KF has done nothing to shore up one huge part of the program and we should just accept 8-4 average record?

by golly gee, thanks Kirk for beating up a bunch of no name non-conference teams and the bottom of the barrel big ten west teams

I don’t see any offensive talent in the next few years, and there also appears to be a drop coming on the defensive side of the ball. Hayden left the cupboards not completely bare, a few snacks here and there. Kirk’s offensive philosophy has made recruiting offensive players….well, top flight players, impossible. It’s going to affect the defensive recruiting as well. Am I the only one who sees several years of losing ahead, regardless of who is coaching next year?
I think a lot of defensive recruits would love to play for PParker. He can make them a lot better, especially in the secondary, and his Lbkrs are in the league, as well as DLinemen. If Parker stays the defense will be very good to great.

Remember, the goofers beat iowa 55-0 or something like that in Fry's last game. Kirk could get the offense better by next year with a new OC, more portal players etc

But Kirk is pushing 68 so I think it is time for him to retire and let's get a coach who can score 31 pts per game avg

Can’t get dumber than this post. 1 game away from the BIG Champ game last yr, shud be 7-1 this yr with a completely depleted OFF personnel.

8-5
10-4
6-2
10-3
8-5
9-4
8-5
12-2

If I was a talented high school prospect, the first thing I'd do is go online and study the crap out of every team's fan message boards. Dumbass

The last 4 games of Hayden's career in 1998 were:

31-0 loss vs (9) Wisconson
36-14 loss at Purdue
45-14 loss vs (7) Ohio State
49-7 loss at Minnesota (who finished 5-6)

Was at the last game in Metrodome. It was uncompetitive and the team was completely deflated. That is the bar.
I was there also how sad. Looks like it’s happening again.

Reactions: Bruceman44
We are not reacting to the Minnesota loss, we are reacting to three years of offensive decline, with no sign of hope. It has a snowball effect on recruiting. He needs to get out now, or at least turn the offense over to a real OC and leave it up to them. He’s lost the right to have a say on offense.
The Hawks are 23-9 over the last 3 years. HF was 3-8 in his last year. All is not lost as this point.

Yes, much worse and the athletic department will be broken from decades of the Ferentz fraud. With little or no payback too. Besides the one time bribe to the hospital that he knew would get him the job for life.

oh the tired, look at his records response

KF has done nothing to shore up one huge part of the program and we should just accept 8-4 average record?

by golly gee, thanks Kirk for beating up a bunch of no name non-conference teams and the bottom of the barrel big ten west teams
This thread is not comparing the Iowa program to "good". It's comparing it to the end of the Fry era.

The program is in much better shape than it was when Fry retired.

Reactions: kceasthawk

8-5
10-4
6-2
10-3
8-5
9-4
8-5
12-2

Jeez just think if Kirk and Brian would have done just an AVG job on offense. I would say those records after the 2015 season would each have at least 1 more win in them, probably two wins in the 8 win years.

Everything else being the same and with an avg #60 ranked offense, last years record includes easy wins over ISU, ILL, and Nebby and 11-2 record

2021 Iowa beats Purdue and Kentucky at least for a 12-2 record
2020 Iowa's offense was ranked about 90th so they beat jNW at home, win the West, and are 7-1
2016 and 2018 at least 2 more wins

And those are stratospheric records in Iowa football history. Might even be a couple more wins in there for 8-10 more wins and Kirk is 3rd all time in Big Wins

Wow, you've really cracked the code that it's easier to beat average and bad teams than elite teams.

Stellar analysis.

I've made the argument a dozen times if Ferentz would have recruited skilled offensive players and graduated to a modern offensive scheme Iowa would not be at the bottom of Division 1 in total offense yearly. What's so hard to grasp? Watch other games. This is modern day football. QBs throw the ball and WRs catch the football. 1st downs. TDs. How many TDs has Iowa scored? How many has the offense scored?

Defense is great but when the offense is powerless the defense is on the field. 10 points against Minny. Jesus. One capable(?) QB. Minus rushing yds in a half. This is 3rd rate football.

I grew up a fanatic Iowa fan. I an Iowa fan, not a Ferentz fan as more than many seem to be. The game left him.

History does not make a coach make, or keep.

I've made the argument a dozen times if Ferentz would have recruited skilled offensive players and graduated to a modern offensive scheme Iowa would not be at the bottom of Division 1 in total offense yearly. What's so hard to grasp? Watch other games. This is modern day football. QBs throw the ball and WRs catch the football. 1st downs. TDs. How many TDs has Iowa scored? How many has the offense scored?

Defense is great but when the offense is powerless the defense is on the field. 10 points against Minny. Jesus. One capable(?) QB. Minus rushing yds in a half. This is 3rd rate football.

I grew up a fanatic Iowa fan. I an Iowa fan, not a Ferentz fan as more than many seem to be. The game left him.

History does not make a coach make, or keep.
Again, I do not dispute the fact the Iowa offense is abysmal, likely broken and in need of a complete overhaul or it will continue to cost Iowa games and Kirk Ferentz affection from the Iowa fan base.

But AGAIN, none of that invalidates the accomplishments he has achieved as a future College Football Hall of Fame coach at Iowa.

Betts, Woods, Kampman, Khalil Hill, decent TEs, McCann better than what we have now
Jeremy Allen FB Pro
Kevin Kasper WR Pro
Ladell Betts RB Pro
Zeron Flemister TE Pro
Austin Wheatley TE Pro
Dallas Clark TE Pro
Eric Steinbach OL Pro
Robert Gallery OL Pro
Bruce Nelson OL Pro
Levar Woods LB Pro
Aaron Kampmann DL Pro
Matt Bowen DB Pro
Jason Baker P Pro

Again, I do not dispute the fact the Iowa offense is abysmal, likely broken and in need of a complete overhaul or it will continue to cost Iowa games and Kirk Ferentz affection from the Iowa fan base.

But AGAIN, none of that invalidates the accomplishments he has achieved as a future College Football Hall of Fame coach at Iowa.
*College Football Hall of Fame coach at Iowa.

*Potential, not there yet

Lol. Why do you guys keep typing this? So all of a sudden Kirk at 68 years old is going to fire his son (sure he is) the offensive line coach, and whatever position Budamyr is. This is all on him. 100%. He’s not doing any of that. He’s already said he doesn’t like to do it. Kirk is in charge. If he could have changed the offense he would have already done it. Is Brian over his head? Clearly. Whose fault is that? Not only did he give his son the keys to the offense he also then doubled down and made him QB coach.
Stone cold facts right here. We only have his entire tenure to base this on after all.

Reactions: wxhawk
When Kirk leaves after this season, if we can retain a couple of coaches on defense and special teams, hire Chris Klieman, hit the portal hard, we will be just fine.

Of course he would not. In fact, the pattern is that whoever takes over after Brian will just be worse.

To say that it looks like Kirk might leave the program in worse shape than Hayden did is too stupid to find a word in the English language to describe.

The OP is either too young to remember 1998/99, is experiencing some sort of Mandela effect, or just hates Ferentz.
I’m 47, no aspect or our team then was as bad as out offense has been. Recruiting offensive skill positions is going to get worse over the next few years. I think Kirk is a great person, did a great job for years. He’s getting in his own way now.. also, did you see the nfl talent on that team.

Jeremy Allen FB Pro
Kevin Kasper WR Pro
Ladell Betts RB Pro
Zeron Flemister TE Pro
Austin Wheatley TE Pro
Dallas Clark TE Pro
Eric Steinbach OL Pro
Robert Gallery OL Pro
Bruce Nelson OL Pro
Levar Woods LB Pro
Aaron Kampmann DL Pro
Matt Bowen DB Pro
Jason Baker P Pro
No question KF inherited much more Offenses talent than we have now. The defense and culture took a bit to turn around, I would guess discipline got pretty lax Hayden’s last 5 years.

I’m worried about our image, it’s going to be impossible to recruit offensive talent to Iowa right now.

In my view the 1997 was the sure sign that Hayden was finished, as he went 7-5 with the two best in-state skill position players of the past 50 years -- Tim Dwight and Tavian Banks -- both in their senior seasons. Hayden couldn't incorporate Dwight into a passing game, and Iowa's run scheme was outdated that showed up against the good teams on their schedule that year (Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin). Iowa also had a poor Kicker that season.

Kirk has had championship level defense and special teams from 2021-present, and just wasted them with an offense that crated starting in the middle of 2021. After 2021, Kirk made no changes ("betting on themselves"), then after last year, made no changes to the coaching staff or offensive scheme, figuring that the portal transfers would make a difference (didn't happen and the QB they brought was damaged from his 2022 knee surgery).

If Kirk stays for 2024, the offense is guaranteed to continue to crater, as it will be impossible for Iowa to attract any decent transfers or recruits on the offensive side of the ball -- also expecting transfers from the group of RBs. Unfortunately, 2024 with Kirk will look a lot like 1998 did for Hayden.

If Kirk stays for 2024, the offense is guaranteed to continue to crater, as it will be impossible for Iowa to attract any decent transfers or recruits on the offensive side of the ball -- also expecting transfers from the group of RBs. Unfortunately, 2024 with Kirk will look a lot like 1998 did for Hayden.
If he gets a new OC it would add a few years, and some decent recruits would want to be a part of it.

Betts, Woods, Kampman, Khalil Hill, decent TEs, McCann better than what we have now

And yet, McCann (as a freshman) was 9-20 with 3 INTs and 115 yards and Reiners 2-7 with 1 INT for 20 yards in the 49-7 loss at Minnesota. In McCann's first season, in 8 games, he had 2 TDs and 5 INTs. Looks familiar. :) Those players improved under Ferentz. Jury is still out on the current team.

Here are Kyle McCann's over all numbers at Iowa. Bad to start. Improvement - yes.

Passing
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
1998IowaBig TenQB88615954.111797.46.325114.2
1999IowaBig TenQB4255644.62805.04.20183.1
2000IowaBig TenJRQB67913658.18626.35.854117.6
2001IowaBig TenSRQB1114822665.518678.37.51611148.5
CareerIowa33857758.641887.36.42321125.4

Reactions: IAHUNTER
And yet, McCann (as a freshman) was 9-20 with 3 INTs and 115 yards and Reiners 2-7 with 1 INT for 20 yards in the 49-7 loss at Minnesota. In McCann's first season, in 8 games, he had 2 TDs and 5 INTs. Looks familiar. :) Those players improved under Ferentz. Jury is still out on the current team.

Here are Kyle McCann's over all numbers at Iowa. Bad to start. Improvement - yes.
YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate

Passing
1998IowaBig TenQB88615954.111797.46.325114.2
1999IowaBig TenQB4255644.62805.04.20183.1
2000IowaBig TenJRQB67913658.18626.35.854117.6
2001IowaBig TenSRQB1114822665.518678.37.51611148.5
CareerIowa33857758.641887.36.42321125.4
65% his Sr year? Wow. That’s incredible compared to what we have now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT