ADVERTISEMENT

ISM

JStandefer

HR MVP
Apr 9, 2015
I am very excited to see what Ihmir Smith-Marsette can do, not only in the passing game but, in the return game.

He has had two kick returns for touchdowns in his last two games. He seems to have ‘put down his phone’ and 100% bought in.

It reminds me of Freddie Russell his last year with nutrition and training. Or Akrum for his senior season.

I would really like to see what he could do this year. I also would love to see him return punts as well. That speed would be deadly in the punt return game. If not him then I would say put Tracy back there with his speed and cut ability.

Reactions: 1inamillion
Those two returns showed off a lot of what ISM can do--just brilliant plays. However, I want to give a lot of credit to the entire unit, identifying some tendencies and executing as a unit. They really put it together. Hope the success can continue!

I am so thankful this years team has the leadership of ISM, BS, and Nico to lead the offensive skill guys. This year in particular culture is going to be huge and ISM seems to be learning and leading with his past shortcomings.

Punt returner has to be a possession guy, not someone like Tracy or ISM who in their minds have one thought: MAKE A BIG PLAY.

Punt return is about completing the defensive stop by catching the ball first. If no one is around you, ok, run like hell.

Many of the best kick returners (ISM is a great one) fail at punt returning because it's two different mindsets.

Punt returner has to be a possession guy, not someone like Tracy or ISM who in their minds have one thought: MAKE A BIG PLAY.

Punt return is about completing the defensive stop by catching the ball first. If no one is around you, ok, run like hell.

Many of the best kick returners (ISM is a great one) fail at punt returning because it's two different mindsets.
This right here would be a good premise for the importance of Max Cooper this year.

hopefully we get to see him this year. Can you imagine not being able to utilize the best WR group Iowa has ever had? That would be a gut punch.
Given Iowa's offensive prowess over the course, of well...........it's entire history............that would be BAU.

Of course, reading that back now, I realize you were talking more about football being cancelled (it won't be), and less about Iowa wasting the talented WR group they have this year given that they are breaking in a new QB and several new OL a year after we had a very up and down performance with a Senior QB and a more veteran OL..................................................

But I'm still optimistic about Iowa's chances of winning the national championship. :)

Desmond King says hello.

good points. very good points. remember the Mississipi state game? we were fortunate enough to pull that one out at the end.

Desmond King says hello.

I'd say hello right back to him! That's a counterpoint on the kick returner/punt returner thought I was trying to make.

So it brings up a better thought: Star defensive backs "should" make for better punt returners than wide receivers.

Here's why:

Say Iowa makes a stop and Desmond King fumbles the punt return trying to make a play. His defensive teammates smack him on the butt and say, we got you.

A backup wide receiver fumbles a punt and the defense looks at him like, bro, seriously?

And lastly, the fact we are debating the art of the punt return shows how much I miss sports.

The kick returns for TDs against Nebraska and USC overshadow (probably rightfully so) his 60 yard return at Indiana in 2018, but they shouldn’t. For those who’ve forgotten, look at the moves turning this one from a potentially boneheaded screwup into one of the plays of the year:

Also should be mentioned that he almost returned one for a TD as a freshman in 2017 at Nebraska, but Geno Stone was called for a block in the back placing the ball at Nebraska’s 20 or so. Wish we could play in Lincoln with him again!

(58:20 mark)

Last edited:
The kick returns for TDs against Nebraska and USC overshadow (probably rightfully so) his 60 yard return at Indiana in 2018, but they shouldn’t. For those who’ve forgotten, look at the moves turning this one from a potentially boneheaded screwup into one of the plays of the year:

Also should be mentioned that he almost returned one for a TD as a freshman in 2017 at Nebraska, but Geno Stone was called for a block in the back placing the ball at Nebraska’s 15 or so. Wish we could play in Lincoln with him again!
Didn’t ISM hurt his leg on that hurdle?

This is what's so exciting about this coming year.... ISM is on everyone's radar after his dominating game against USC, but if you focus too much on him we got homerun hitters of Goodson and Tracy to house defenses... I honestly don't remember the last time we had 3 legit guys where every time they touch the ball, everyone is holding their breath because they have a chance to take it to the house

I agree, although I always liked Desmond King as a punt returner, as he had that extra wiggle, and Tim Dwight was the king of punt returns...always expected him to take it the distance.

I think ISM is the type of tall, lanky fast player who excels at KR, but those skills wouldn't translate to PR.

King is the short, quick kind of guy who excels at PR.

Reactions: owenhawk
This is what's so exciting about this coming year.... ISM is on everyone's radar after his dominating game against USC, but if you focus too much on him we got homerun hitters of Goodson and Tracy to house defenses... I honestly don't remember the last time we had 3 legit guys where every time they touch the ball, everyone is holding their breath because they have a chance to take it to the house
4....Brandon Smith has shown he can make the big catch. Just needs to be healthy.

Reactions: ichawk24
Last year, Brandon Smith had arrived, and was becoming a dominant force.

The injury derailed what was becoming a great season.

I expect huge things from him this year.
As do I...with all the attention ISM has garnered for himself and Goodson, Tracy and LaPorta coming on last year I almost feel like he’s kind of the ‘forgotten’ man in a way....I’m sure other teams are aware of his athletic ability but with the talent and athleticism we now have at the skill positions it should be difficult for defenses to scheme for the Hawks O. Barring injuries this team could be really fun to watch. And the way recruiting has been going the last few years it’s hard to not be excited for hawkeye football. I don’t think there will be a team in the big ten that we can’t/won’t hang with or beat on the right saturday....As long as we can keep bringing in this level of talent I will keep going back to OSU in 2017 and thinking we have a chance at anybody.

Reactions: ichawk24
I love in this video around the 12:00 minute mark the replay angle from almost field level of the ISM kickoff return vs USC. Just shows how fast and explosive ISM is.

Thanks for sharing that 17...….the fact that ISM housed Kickoff returns in
2 straight games, on the road...AWESOME.

Also, rewatching reminds me that Nick Niemann and his brother Ben, had BIG BOWL SEASONS! Nick was star of Iowa defense in Holiday Bowl and Ben had key plays for KC CHIEFS in Super Bowl !!!

We got some dudes returning that will make this team very successful. ISM can change the complexion of a game if he gets the chance. Hope he shows out this season and leads us to some Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge wins!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT