ADVERTISEMENT

ISU off to a bomb of a start over seas. UAB still hanging on their back

I guess just the first ISU game or games that Iowa State loses are all that Iowa fans are interested in posting about. Below is the story of the second and third games they played, both wins. One of the 3 non scholarship players playing in Spain just graduated from Gilbert high school so I imagine he's not quite up to speed with the college game let alone the international rules.

I think for any team even at full strength there are adjustments to be made with the international rules, refs and the 24 second shot clock. Even though all four of their games are in Spain they seem to have different rules depending on what team they play because in today's game with Barcelona they played four quarters instead of two halves. Makes more sense to do that though because both high school and NBA games play quarters.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10700&ATCLID=210268557

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/08/27/iowa-state-cyclones-georges-niang-transforms-body

Last edited:
And the clowns just lost their tallest player. Something is rotten on the state of Denmark.

What the hell is going on in Ames?? Sure, they probably won't be bringing in as many thugs now but when your new bible beating coach comes in and loses their biggest player right away....there might be some more dominoes tumbling.

The Jayhawk conference will be BAU

And the clowns just lost their tallest player. Something is rotten on the state of Denmark.

What the hell is going on in Ames?? Sure, they probably won't be bringing in as many thugs now but when your new bible beating coach comes in and loses their biggest player right away....there might be some more dominoes tumbling.

Do you know anything about that tallest player? Other than he is tall, of course.

Reactions: Myvue
Little brother has been annoying for so long he's got some big hurt coming. If this were the CF board, you might have a point. But you are here, little brother, asking for it.

What big hurt is it you speak of? My guess is it's a very close football game and ISU wins easily in Hilton this year in hoops. Now wrestling? I'll give you that one.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
Tallest player.....who played a total of 35 minutes last season. Not a bad kid, but no real loss either.

As for other dominos falling? I think you are stretching on that.

Also, jealousy is no way to live you life.

Yeah they are not making a big deal out of this Greek kid leaving but the truth is they were really counting on him to be their future at the Five. Looks like now ernst is the bright future.

Yeah they are not making a big deal out of this Greek kid leaving but the truth is they were really counting on him to be their future at the Five. Looks like now ernst is the bright future.
You nailed it. The future has left the building.

Both statements are a real stretch. I don't think any Cyclone ever thought the Greek was going to be a star or the future of the program. If he reached his potential he could have been a nice role player (outside shooter), but he likely never would have been much of a rebounder or defender.

You nailed it. The future has left the building.

That is hilarious. Thanks for adding a bit of levity to the thread.

I sure seem to remember a lot of chest pounding and braggadocious claims about this kids future before he bolted

Reactions: DanL53
The kid is a Greek Pro. He is very long. You bet this hurts them. Laugh all you want and pretend you don't care.

Reactions: DanL53
He was very homesick after the the Thanksgiving or Christmas break last year in which he went home a few days and wasn't sure if he would return, but did. I don't think his decision was a big surprise.

I sure seem to remember a lot of chest pounding and braggadocious claims about this kids future before he bolted

Link? Most people I talked to knew he was a project and also knew Hoiberg took him on because of his height and hoping he could turn him into a contributor in a couple years.

Reactions: icu81222
M

Yep I remember that thread. I agree there was a lot of excitement on that thread....along with some "who the heck is this kid?". But how is that chest beating/bragging?

It is! It's football season! Just letting you know so you can go follow Cyclone football now.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
To say he would never contribute is harsh but I certainly didn't see him helping the team any time soon. You never know with bigs, however. He could really shoot but at 7' and lacking skills to do anything but that he was a ways off.

To say he would never contribute is harsh but I certainly didn't see him helping the team any time soon. You never know with bigs, however. He could really shoot but at 7' and lacking skills to do anything but that he was a ways off.
Well I understand he will be playing Pro ball so apparently somebody thinks he can play.

Reactions: icu81222

Isn't it the coach's duty to develop young talent? Or is it only Coach McCaffery that can't get that done?

Well I understand he will be playing Pro ball so apparently somebody thinks he can play.
Yep, only Cyclone fans can come up with logic like that.

Clown: "No big loss....We didn't really want him. Besides, he wouldn't have helped us anyway."

Everyone else: "But he is signing a pro contract. Some pro team thinks pretty highly of him...."

Clown:

Everyone else:

Clown: [logs off]

So what was the deal with the Greek kid? A wasted reach or a player with potential that left?

Tough to say. He absolutely had potential but he was a hoiberg guy. Any potential was after next year though, he still wouldn't have played this year much at all.

Tough to say. He absolutely had potential but he was a hoiberg guy. Any potential was after next year though, he still wouldn't have played this year much at all.

So like many bigs development would have been the key. He left. It happens.

So what was the deal with the Greek kid? A wasted reach or a player with potential that left?
I don't think the scholarship was wasted, because I don't think ISU was unable to get somebody else as a result of giving one to the Greek.

I think he had potential. I think anybody who says a 7-footer who goes pro at age 17 in Europe has no potential. I think if he had stayed at ISU, he probably would have been a valuable contributor in his fourth, and probably third year.

I don't think his departure will have much, if any, effect on the program. I think the scholarship will end up going to someone who contributes at least as much as he would have, albeit not necessarily the same type player.

Reactions: mtdew_fever
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT