ADVERTISEMENT

ISU

Please stop making these threads and then complaining about them coming over here.

Go Kansas.

That's one way for Hawks to get some positive basketball exposure -- unfortunately, about the only way.
"Texas Tech is Big 12's version of Rutgers" ?? I don't think any major conference has a version of Rutgers. They scored 26 points in an entire game. Ouch!

Originally posted by soybean:

Iowa State has a better tean than Iowa does this year...its that simple. There can be no disputing that. That doesn't mean we couldn't beat them if we played them again. And it doesn't mean they will go further in the NCAA than we will. And it doesn't mean that ISU is the most popular team in the state now either. The Cyclones are a better team in 2015 than Iowa and they have accomplished more than the Hawks - I can live with that...for now.
This is all true. I will watch ISU-Kansas tonight and pull for the Clones but the inferiority complex of Clones fans is mind boggling even when they are better. I went to S. Ant. last year to watch ISU and despite having an outstanding team, ISU fans were still talking about the Hawks.

I will never root for those clowns. If China drops a bomb on Ames today i will join the Chinese Air Force tomorrow.
laugh.r191677.gif

Hawkeye fans like you just make me smile and shake my head. You live in such a world of delusion.

Many, many years ago, "your" university adopted the state of Iowa's nickname - the Hawkeye state - as its own nickname. You claim the state has taken on your university's nickname, but you cannot comprehend that it really happened the other way around.

You claim that no matter how many times Iowa State University beats the University of Iowa in football or basketball (which is a pretty regular occurrence lately), you still have the better program because your football team always has a better record at the end of the season. Of course, you always conveniently ignore the fact that your strength of schedule in football regularly pales in comparison to Iowa State's. It's funny how scoreboard settles every argument….unless it's with a Hawkeye fan.

You claim that regardless of its lack of success in competition against Iowa State University, the University of Iowa still "owns" the state and always will. Once again, this statement couldn't be any further from the truth. Among Iowa's high school graduates, Iowa State University ranks as the most popular university in 74 of the 99 counties, while the University of Iowa is the most popular university in 15 counties and the University of Northern Iowa is the most popular university in 10 counties. Iowa State has always been the most popular university among Iowa's college students every single year, without exception. Yet, as the smaller and less popular university, you still like to refer to Iowa State University as the "little brother".

While that perception may be true among the tavern patrons, the reality is that Iowa State University is the most popular university in this state with the people who matter most, and it's not even close.

And a poll of all Iowans showed Iowa is the favorite school by a 60-40 margin. Also on a recent trip to the DOT i noticed that last year there were 19000 Hawkeye vanity plates to 13000 of the same clown plates. So shut up you ignorant sub-human clown. My God you jerkoffs are pathetic.
roll.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 3/14 11:39 AM by Guidotheguide

This post was edited on 3/14 9:40 AM by Guidotheguide

Really hate getting in these pissing matches, but go home.

Better school, more valuable sports program, better brand recognition, etc. Bring up any metric you want and you will be disappointed.

Your sports teams have beat ours a few times in recent years. Hang your hat on that and show yourself out.

JwIIcxN.png

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by kwik44:
It's always been clear of who the first thought in this state is. Nothing - absolutely nothing - can change the national perception of ISU compared to Iowa. Look at how ESPN views them. This is their glory month.

Iowa has a whole year of sports to enjoy. Might not be what Iowa fans view as huge success, but think of what ISU has to suffer with in football, wrestling, baseball. Basketball is their fun time, let them enjoy the few months.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
And yet the Cy-Hawk trophy, which goes to the school that does better in ALL sports, will be safely in Ames for the second straight year.
That's like winning a trophy for being the taller midget.

images

Originally posted by FormerlyCyberCy:

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:

More success on the court for ISU this year but you are not as relevant as the Hawks in this state on your best day as we are on our worst
You watch Hawkeye basketball because it's relevant. We watch ISU basketball because it's fun. Enjoy being relevant tomorrow night!

This post was edited on 3/14 7:51 AM by FormerlyCyberCy

Your fans sure don't sound like they're having fun whenever I'm watching a game on tv.

It's always been clear of who the first thought in this state is. Nothing - absolutely nothing - can change the national perception of ISU compared to Iowa. Look at how ESPN views them. This is their glory month.

Iowa has a whole year of sports to enjoy. Might not be what Iowa fans view as huge success, but think of what ISU has to suffer with in football, wrestling, baseball. Basketball is their fun time, let them enjoy the few months.

And yet the Cy-Hawk trophy, which goes to the school that does better in ALL sports, will be safely in Ames for the second straight year.
I figured some Cyclone would bring up the Cy-Hawk trophy. What a joke 8 of the 12 sports contested are Women's sports. Who cares are these. Also how's your baseball, tennis and field hockey teams doing this year. Oh I guess you don't have these.

Field Hockey? Field Hockey? Is that the game played by Amazons in black & yellow with hairy armpits?
Or are they just the cheerleaders?

It's going to be there for a while. Hard to see the Hawks winning at Hilton next year, and we all know the trajectory for Iowa football.

Originally posted by HawkFT:

Originally posted by ISUFAN80:
Don't use facts Lone Clone, they don't like that.
The facts are Iowa State has hired a wunderkind basketball coach who has had a really nice run for 2 years and Iowa is building their program with 3 consecutive 20 win seasons. ISU basketball still has some catching up to do historically.

Iowa basketball history
NCAA Tourney- 23 times (3 final fours, 4 Sweet Sixteens, 1 Elite eight)
NIT- 7
Conference Titles-6
Conference Tourney Champs-2

Iowa State basketball history
NCAA Tourney- 16 times (1 final four, 3 Sweet Sixteens, 1 elite eight)
NIT-3
Conference Titles-6
Conference Tourney Champs-3

And for football historically the Cyclones are the worst program in the history of D-1 college football and Iowa has had a solid program for almost 40 years. Iowa has inexplicably lost to the worst college football team even under the KF tenure more often than not, good for ISU. Then ISU continues to measure up to their own pathetic abilities while Iowa pursues bowl games.

As for wrestling, not worth going there.

But hey enjoy your little run with BB, it doesn't happen often for you guys in sports! You are overdue!

This post was edited on 3/14 9:16 AM by HawkFT
I will add just a little more to this.
Iowa vs ISU 43-25
Iowa vs UNI 34-10
Iowa vs Drake 57-10

Iowa 27 NCAA wins
ISU 16 NCAA wins
UNI 3 wins.
Drake 5 wins.
I am certainly not enjoying this current NCAA drought. Despite the internet smack talk I am still able to pull for all Iowa schools though it does get tougher.

We're talking about universities, not professional sports teams. The only metric that matters is where students prefer to enroll. Iowa's students vote with their feet and they vote overwhelmingly for Iowa State University every single year. It's true that Walmart sells more Hawkeye t-shirts than Cyclone t-shirts, but I can live with that.

Originally posted by 77clone:
Beep...you are an asshat to put it bluntly.......ISU is the sports university in the state right now,......BB well the hawks suck in a crappy league
Until an Iowa State varsity athletic team beats an Iowa varsity athletic team 15 years in a row, Iowa State is not even close to being the sports university in Iowa.

Originally posted by IACentralHawk73:

Beep...you are an asshat to put it bluntly.......ISU is the sports university in the state right now,......BB well the hawks suck in a crappy league
Until an Iowa State varsity athletic team beats an Iowa varsity athletic team 15 years in a row, Iowa State is not even close to being the sports university in Iowa.
I doubt any of those clowns could beat their meat 15 times in a row lol.
roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by relishingwinning18:

And yet the Cy-Hawk trophy, which goes to the school that does better in ALL sports, will be safely in Ames for the second straight year.Â
If Iowa State fans want to quit being seen as little brother, they need to stop running to this board after everything victory. It's just plain bizarre. I had to go actually look up the cyhawk series to see what was involved, because nobody cares about that except for Iowa State fans. We are tied 6 to 6 with softball to go. Safely probably isn't the right word. In no way shape or form is this an accurate description of either athletic program. Especially when we can't even beat your guys ass and baseball because you dropped your program. Congrats on the wins in cross country, that must make you feel awesome. Meanwhile I'll take Iowa better in four of the five sports I even care about.
"Safely" is absolutely the correct word. ISU has a 13-11 lead, with only softball remaining. If Iowa wins softball the score will be tied at 13 and the trophy will remain with the team that won it last, which is ISU. It will mark the first time since the series was created that the trophy was not won by the team that hosted most of the events.

The scoring is simple. Each sport counts 2 points except football, which counts 3. Iowa State has won the head-to-head in 6 sports, including football, for 13 points. Iowa has won 5 sports, for 10 points, and also received a bonus point for having a graduation rate higher than the general student body. This is a bonus both teams can get, and both have gotten in previous years.

I have always wondered why football is worth 3 points. Imo it is no more important than men's and women's basketball or wrestling. Or for that matter any other sport the two schools compete against each other in. But i guess Hy-Vee sponsors it so they can make their own rules.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Guidotheguide:
I have always wondered why football is worth 3 points. Imo it is no more important than men's and women's basketball or wrestling. Or for that matter any other sport the two schools compete against each other in. But i guess Hy-Vee sponsors it so they can make their own rules.
smile.r191677.gif
IMO football should be worth 25 points while everything else is 1.

Originally posted by wyohawk:

smile.r191677.gif
IMO football should be worth 25 points while everything else is 1.

I used to like football except now.... all the crippling injuries.

When is grabbing people and throwing them to the ground supposed to be fun to watch. Or getting under someone when they go up in the air and turning them upside down? The elbows?

After watching all that during Big Ten basketball games...I just can't handle watching a football game at all.

So, history is okay to use when comparing yourself to ISU? When Huskers do that in football, you scream like little bitches that history is not relevant. So.....which is it?

"You are truly stupid"

Better a good retreat than a bad stand.

Originally posted by IACentralHawk73:

I doubt any of those clowns could beat their meat 15 times in a row lol.
roll.r191677.gif
For some reason, I bet you have accomplished that quite often.......

Originally posted by B1G RED RULES:
So, history is okay to use when comparing yourself to ISU? When Huskers do that in football, you scream like little bitches that history is not relevant. So.....which is it?
Depends what fits the excuse....

What a great win by ISU today. Think about what they did - came back from 3 double digit deficits vs NCAA teams (yes, TX deserves to be in). They didn't beat Penn State and Rutgers, they beat Oklahoma and Kansas. If Iowa had done this, Hawk fans would talk about it for years. Instead, Iowa lost to a 13 seed.

Back to back Big 12 tourney champs - that's a huge accomplishment. Fred is 7-3 in conference tourney play. That's impressive.

ISU basketball and Fred Hoiberg are beloved by the national media. Yes, that's important. Top HS recruits see that, and want to be part of it.

As much as Iowa fans try to dismiss it, ISU basketball is everything that they want, but can't achieve. ISU basketball is relevant on a national scale, while remains irrelevant, and more of an afterthought. Losing to a bad PSU team on Thursday afternoon keeps Iowa among the irrelevant in college basketball. Winning a conference tourney 2 years in a row, winning back to back tourney titles, and a likely 2 or 3 seed keeps ISU among the big boys in college basketball. The best thing is, ISU will be even better next year.

High school recruits don't care about Final Fours from 35+ years ago. They care about here and now.

Bottom line, ISU continues to rise while Iowa is the third base st team in the state.

Originally posted by stender72865:
What a great win by ISU today. Think about what they did - came back from 3 double digit deficits vs NCAA teams (yes, TX deserves to be in). They didn't beat Penn State and Rutgers, they beat Oklahoma and Kansas. If Iowa had done this, Hawk fans would talk about it for years. Instead, Iowa lost to a 13 seed.

Back to back Big 12 tourney champs - that's a huge accomplishment. Fred is 7-3 in conference tourney play. That's impressive.

ISU basketball and Fred Hoiberg are beloved by the national media. Yes, that's important. Top HS recruits see that, and want to be part of it.

As much as Iowa fans try to dismiss it, ISU basketball is everything that they want, but can't achieve. ISU basketball is relevant on a national scale, while remains irrelevant, and more of an afterthought. Losing to a bad PSU team on Thursday afternoon keeps Iowa among the irrelevant in college basketball. Winning a conference tourney 2 years in a row, winning back to back tourney titles, and a likely 2 or 3 seed keeps ISU among the big boys in college basketball. The best thing is, ISU will be even better next year.

High school recruits don't care about Final Fours from 35+ years ago. They care about here and now.

Bottom line, ISU continues to rise while Iowa is the third base st team in the state.
Dude, farmer clown wanted facts so we gave them facts (and another poster kindly provided more facts for me). And now you are complaining about our fact finding over our tradition rich sports programs over a 40 year period and is still going strong- we are just not at our PEAK.

You are at your PEAK of all time for bball and good for Fred (that guy deserves it) and has it trending upward. Right now this trend is over a 2 year period! We won two big ten tourneys under Alford and it was hardly our glory days. Enjoy your run, it doesn't happen often for you guys! If they go Final Four then repeat a string of NCAA tourney runs for say 10 plus years, then much closer to our glory days.

So let's see how the clowns do in this tourney. Now go celebrate and get off our board. People like you represent a strong portion of the clown fan base and are the sole reason for the disdain of all things the clowns represent. Humble yourself and act a little more like Fred and you will gain more respect.

No, the reality is ISU will never, ever, ever be the team thought of when talking about the state of Iowa. The bickering ends with that.

Stender, better coach: Fred Holberg or John Calipari?

That's not a fair question bc Calipari has been caught cheating at both U Mass and Memphis. Hard to say if he won based on his abilities as a coach, or because he benefitted from cheating.

That's not a fair question bc Calipari has been caught cheating at both U Mass and Memphis. Hard to say if he won based on his abilities as a coach, or because he benefitted from cheating.
Link to Calipari getting caught cheating?

Alright, then. Better coach: Fred Holberg or Shaka Smart?

i wonder if any ISU grads with kids playing sports wished that ISU would offer more than 16 sports and rather than bragging about finishing higher than iowa in the directors cup.

Look it up yourself, but both Final Fours at UMass and Memphis were vacated. Calipari is slimy.

I give the edge right now to Smart (157-54 with a Final Four) over Hoiberg (115-55).

Hey Stender how much does it suck knowing that isu is still "little brother" despite Lord Hoiber and his band of thugs? Who knows maybe with a few more cast-offs err "transfers" the clowns could win a national title as Lord Hoiber touts.

ISU plays in the first group of games Thursday....it would be hilarious if they got bounced before the tourney even got started.

I agree. the basketball team has way more tradition in last 40 years than iowa state. multiple big 10 regular season titles all the time in the 80's and 90's. i national power back then when iowa state was lagging around last in big 8.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT