ADVERTISEMENT

It's a Bye Weekend: Where Will the Coaches Be Out Scouting and Recruiting?

States Iowa Coaches will be visiting this week:
Iowa
Wisconsin
Illinois
Ohio
Indiana
Michigan
Tennessee
Missouri
Texas

As noted previously, KF is leaving the state. Most coaches are doing multiple states.

Do you think Purdue would try and patch things up, or just kick him to the curb for the mistake? Do you think they even have a policy in place that scares recruits into thinking that they must lie about something so ridiculous?
I doubt the Purdue staff cares....The HC as already been fired...the rest are prolly polishing up their resumes and trying to sell their houses...

Reactions: David1979
So reading this thread I was LOLing at the comments about the staff hitting the CR Xavier games and other eastern Iowa games this weekend. Thought it was funny and then got kind of pissy that Western Iowa was being ignored. This leads me to the next thought that came through my head.

Does the Iowa staff realize how many in-state kids they have missed on? We all know about David Johnson and him going to UNI. They whiffed on Andrew Van Ginkel, but now have a second shot at him. I'm going to tell you about another player that Iowa has majorly whiffed on and that is Austin Simmons out of Council Bluffs. When he graduated he was the best QB in the state in his class. Iowa's loss was South Dakota's gain as I got to witness this weekend. How would I describe him? Drew Tate 2.0. The kid his a monster arm & can hit the deep ball with precision. Watched him side step a couple of would be tacklers in the pocket, and without setting his feet, throw a 50+ yard rope on the spot to a receiver deep down field. I came away from Saturday's game giddy about USD's future. Simmons probably made the right call anyways as KF and GD would have ruined his potential.

So reading this thread I was LOLing at the comments about the staff hitting the CR Xavier games and other eastern Iowa games this weekend. Thought it was funny and then got kind of pissy that Western Iowa was being ignored. This leads me to the next thought that came through my head.

Does the Iowa staff realize how many in-state kids they have missed on? We all know about David Johnson and him going to UNI. They whiffed on Andrew Van Ginkel, but now have a second shot at him. I'm going to tell you about another player that Iowa has majorly whiffed on and that is Austin Simmons out of Council Bluffs. When he graduated he was the best QB in the state in his class. Iowa's loss was South Dakota's gain as I got to witness this weekend. How would I describe him? Drew Tate 2.0. The kid his a monster arm & can hit the deep ball with precision. Watched him side step a couple of would be tacklers in the pocket, and without setting his feet, throw a 50+ yard rope on the spot to a receiver deep down field. I came away from Saturday's game giddy about USD's future. Simmons probably made the right call anyways as KF and GD would have ruined his potential.

So they whiffed on David Johnson.

What if he told the staff. My senior year is going really good and I now have some other options available to me that I would like to explore. I understand if you consider me not committed to the program and that you might fill my spot.

Can't be trusted. Kick him to the curb.

I'm sure they will be out looking for the best 2 stars available, and, oh yes, the potential walkons.
They probably have a Ph.D. botanist and master concrete layer maintain the sidewalk so that it's absolutely irresistible in order to seduce guys to "walk on".

Well I've got an answer to the question I posed in the OP. Kirk will be hopping in his Rolls Royce (which he can pay cash for simply by coaching for one quarter of one game...even the 4th quarter of the Purdue game) and travelling to...drum roll...2 hrs south of Iowa City to see AJ Epenesa play. That is the extent of his bye weekend. The hardest worker in sports, that guy is.

LeVar Woods will be in St. Louis (I believe, a good use of our resources)

Greg Davis is going to Texas to see Payton Mansel play. Probably a good move if they are high on this QB. But I hope he also scouts other Texas kids while down there.

Bobby Kennedy will be in Texas as well.

I believe Brian Ferentz, the highest paid man under 35 in the state of Iowa, will be staying within an hour of his cozy home in Iowa City. He hasn't reeled in many recruits over the past few years, but that hasn't stopped him from getting promoted, so why work hard now.

Love that they just stopped recruiting Daniels. Idiots. Just think if they didn't have Epenesa in this class? Yikes.

So Iowa coaches are headed to Tennessee to watch a RB who is committed to Purdue? Huh seems about right.

This RB only other major Power 5 offers are Purdue, Wisky, and Vandy. Everyone else is small FBS or FCS.

Do our coaches just look for the bottom of the barrel every time. I have noticed a lot of recruits Iowa & Wiksy have gone head to head for. Iowa has lost a lot of those battles. Bummer.

To a coaching staff/team that you committed to and are expected to follow their rules and policies, it could very well be.

That's right. All you fancy pantsy SOBs who think that it's OK to commit such a grave offense against a coach should be ashamed of yourselves.

Well I've got an answer to the question I posed in the OP. Kirk will be hopping in his Rolls Royce (which he can pay cash for simply by coaching for one quarter of one game...even the 4th quarter of the Purdue game) and travelling to...drum roll...2 hrs south of Iowa City to see AJ Epenesa play. That is the extent of his bye weekend. The hardest worker in sports, that guy is.

That must be a fast Rolls. Edwardsville is over 4 hours from Iowa City and is basically a suburb of St. Louis.

BF recruited-
Rugamba
Jones
Harrel
IKM
Nieman x2
McKnight
Wade
Hockaday

Not great...not that bad either.

BF will be in Chicago along with watching a DT prospect in Peoria..

Not bad? Which coaches on the Iowa staff have had less success in the past 3-4 years (we've got 90 commits in that span)? Not Woods, Kennedy, Morgan. Jim Reid had much more success but he left this year. Wallace has only been a position coach for a year and even he's having more success. Even Davis, a coordinator whom Ferentz doesnt like being on the road recruiting, has been credited with landing our QB and WR recruits out of Texas for next year.

Sure, Brian has got a few commits too, like every coach on the staff, but he is objectively our worst recruiter numbers wise. His claim to fame as a recruiter was landing the great qb jack benevetti...The kid who was so terrible after he committed to Iowa (he was completing like 33% of his passes) that he was benched on his own high school team. Eventually, I would had to do the less than scrupulous act of pulling the scholarship due to performance.

BF recruited-
Rugamba
Jones
Harrel
IKM
Nieman x2
McKnight
Wade
Hockaday

Not great...not that bad either.

BF will be in Chicago along with watching a DT prospect in Peoria..

Last edited:
Not bad? Which coaches on the staff have had less success in the past 4 years (we've got 90 commits in that span)? Brian is objectively our worst recruiter and frankly I don't get the love for him on this board.

yeah he has been pretty bad compared to how Iowa used to do in Illinois. Also has only gotten one good one out of ohio in Welsh.
Texas recruiting has been pretty bad as well. The best recruiter is Morgan.

Not bad? Which coaches on the staff have had less success in the past 4 years (we've got 90 commits in that span)? Brian is objectively our worst recruiter and frankly I don't get the love for him on this board.
I listed the recruits from the past 2-3 classes..I didn't go back since his first day...As far as total numbers...I'd say the top 3 are Morgan,Kennedy,and BF..

yeah he has been pretty bad compared to how Iowa used to do in Illinois. Also has only gotten one good one out of ohio in Welsh.
Texas recruiting has been pretty bad as well. The best recruiter is Morgan.
BF had nothing to do with the class from Illinois that produced-Keppy,Ward,Goebel, and Sealby..

Not a fan of James and LeShun Daniels out of OH?

BF had nothing to do with the class from Illinois that produced-Keppy,Ward,Goebel, and Sealby..

I forgot they were from Ohio. LeShun has been ok, wasn't a great recruit, and they only got James because of his brother. What are the great Illinois recruits? Some of them are too young to tell really but so far the results aren't that good. And if you want to talk about on the field. The last two years Iowa has had two of the worst pass blocking lines ever under K. Ferentz. Really hasn't done anything to justify the salary he gets.

Reactions: iowalaw
I forgot they were from Ohio. LeShun has been ok, wasn't a great recruit, and they only got James because of his brother. What are the great Illinois recruits? Some of them are too young to tell really but so far the results aren't that good.
I have no idea how "great"any of them were or have the potential to be...I said his recruiting wasn't great...and not that bad either...I will stand behind that statement...I think guys like Jones,Rugamba,Wade,IKM, and Hockaday have potential to be quality players. Great players? Don't know..

I have no idea how "great"any of them were or have the potential to be...I said his recruiting wasn't great...and not that bad either...I will stand behind that statement...I think guys like Jones,Rugamba,Wade,IKM, and Hockaday have potential to be quality players. Great players? Don't know..
Jones, Rugamba, and Hockaday all pushed by more veteran players for their spots on the 2 deeps as freshman. That is pretty impressive and doesn't happen often. These 3 should turn out to be very good players, probably pros.

Jones, Rugamba, and Hockaday all pushed by more veteran players for their spots on the 2 deeps as freshman. That is pretty impressive and doesn't happen often. These 3 should turn out to be very good players, probably pros.

lol. Pros? That is going a little too far.

I like LeShun just fine. But he was not a highly touted recruit and I believe we beat out Akron and Boston College for him, so the Iowa name did most of the heavy lifting for his services. His kid brother was a great get, but he was not hard to recruit either, as he wanted to play with LeShun first and foremost. Wish we could have tapped in more heavily into Ohio like in years past...pre-Brian Ferentz.

Funny story, I went back to Iowa for a game years ago and visited practice. Spoke to Phil Parker and we started talking Arizona HS football. I had been trying to get the coaches to recruit in AZ for a couple years. Direct 2 hour flights from Mesa to Iowa City, large alumni base in the Phx area, and plenty of talent that don't want to stay home and play for ASU or Arizona. Phil finally asks me to go watch a kid from power Chandler HS. If I remember correctly, Phil Parker played football with this kids dad or uncle. I go to Chandler's next game and email Phil that the kid is the real deal. Parker writes back and says thanks for checking him out.
Not sure why nobody ever came down to visit or try to contact the kid but nothing ever came of it. Who was that kid? None other than ALL Pac 12 and current NFL running back Paul Perkins. UCLA offered in November and he chose them with Northwestern a close 2nd.

What's the point of this story? Iowa could get more talent if they would think outside the box and not be so stubborn in the states they recruit and won't spend any energy recruiting.

Remember when Iowa needed to find talent and didn't care where it came from? I do, it was in 1999 and 2000 when we had a bunch of hungry coaches and recruiters that needed to find talent. They went to Florida and found boat loads of talent, they went to California and found Cervantes, Ochoa, & Bradley, they went to Texas, they went to New Jersey, they went to Ferentz' home state of Pennsylvania. They went all over the place, wherever they could find talent.

Funny story, I went back to Iowa for a game years ago and visited practice. Spoke to Phil Parker and we started talking Arizona HS football. I had been trying to get the coaches to recruit in AZ for a couple years. Direct 2 hour flights from Mesa to Iowa City, large alumni base in the Phx area, and plenty of talent that don't want to stay home and play for ASU or Arizona. Phil finally asks me to go watch a kid from power Chandler HS. If I remember correctly, Phil Parker played football with this kids dad or uncle. I go to Chandler's next game and email Phil that the kid is the real deal. Parker writes back and says thanks for checking him out.
Not sure why nobody ever came down to visit or try to contact the kid but nothing ever came of it. Who was that kid? None other than ALL Pac 12 and current NFL running back Paul Perkins. UCLA offered in November and he chose them with Northwestern a close 2nd.

What's the point of this story? Iowa could get more talent if they would think outside the box and not be so stubborn in the states they recruit and won't spend any energy recruiting.

Remember when Iowa needed to find talent and didn't care where it came from? I do, it was in 1999 and 2000 when we had a bunch of hungry coaches and recruiters that needed to find talent. They went to Florida and found boat loads of talent, they went to California and found Cervantes, Ochoa, & Bradley, they went to Texas, they went to New Jersey, they went to Ferentz' home state of Pennsylvania. They went all over the place, wherever they could find talent.
Well, they are dipping their toe in a couple southern states this weekend that they haven't hit hard in the past. They had a group of TN kids in for a visit last week. With K.Bell recruiting in MS..maybe grabbing B.Smith, will lead to a couple others from there soon. They have a chance at Maxwell from Florida and have Turner on board currently. Coach White has offered a few in Philly in the last couple of years...that is a new area for Iowa. The experiment in Ga has produced nothing so far...that was a newer area over the past 4 years..They offered a kid in Utah this year..Think that is the 4th kid they have offered in KF's time here. They have looked at plenty of states and offered kids in many states...results? Meh..

Read the last paragraph in Law's post.....It would be a violation if KF did what the OP wants him to do...

So ... Iowa's bye week came during a "quiet period"? Or is the whole season a "quiet period"? If it's just this week then Iowa got screwed by the schedule makers. If it's something else, please explain if you can -- I appreciate it if you'd be going out of your way to do so because I don't know in-season recruiting rules. Or a link to a site explaining.

EDIT: Never mind, found the info. So Harbaugh must have slept over at a kid's house in the summer because it appears the quiet period is from September through November.

A big issue is there aren't a lot of great recruiters on this staff. Iowa needs a couple young Bret Beliema's that can get athletes out of the south or out west.

How many FBS programs actually offered all 3 combined?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT