ADVERTISEMENT

Jack McCaffery: Officially Not Considering Iowa

If I remember right, Miller left because he got into it with the AD - was that Evy? AD didn't want to improve BB facilities or something like that. As for Lute leaving, the 'fish bowl' is a small town, everyone knows you, you can't go anywhere without people knowing who you are. Actually the opposite of being run off by fans, it was the fame and 'love' from the fans that was too much.
That and Lute’s wife hated the winters here. There is a reason they went to Arizona.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Agree. I think with Lute it was the opposite. He was revered by most in Iowa City and he just ended up being uncomfortable with being a huge fish in the tiny pond that was Iowa City. He said as much after he left for Tucson where the entire town doesn't revolve around college athletics.

I lived in Tucson in lutes early years, he created expectations quickly there and fans turned ugly at times. But he had a larger city to be blend into.

I don’t disagree. Iowa City is within four(ish) hours of Minneapolis, Chicago, KC, St Louis and Omaha / Indianapolis aren’t much farther. Iowa was also ranked last in the B1G for recruiting base by the coaches.

Minneapolis and Chicago haven’t been the easiest places to pull from and if not mistaken, Patrick played with a lot of the talent from Minnesota.

Where Iowa is gaining ground is the in state talent seems to be coming back up over the past few years. Add in pulling from the IL QC’s. I’d probably argue Iowa’s recruiting base is better than Nebraska’s. Going forward I’d say recruiting base is pretty much pointless with NIL in play. Kids will go where the money is and distance won’t factor in really all that much. At least for the top 100 or so.
LOL. You'd have to be going about 90 miles an hour to get to KC in 4 hours.....

LOL. You'd have to be going about 90 miles an hour to get to KC in 4 hours.....

It’s 4 hours and 28 minutes from Iowa City to Kansas City. At 90 mph, it would take you about 3 hours 25 minutes.

Are you taking the back roads when you come back? You did see the part where it said four(ish) right? You really “LOL’d” over 28 minutes of a four hour drive?

Iowa City to KC at 75 mph is 4 hours and 4 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Speculation on your part or inside knowledge?
I've heard rumblings about it from my West side friends w/ kids still in HS. Much like the accident it seems to be common knowledge among the West siders. When I asked the neighbor kid about Jack leaving he confirmed it. I then asked "does anyone know he's leaving?" and his response was "everyone knows he's leaving. that's old news".......take it for what it's worth......

Reactions: skydog0784
So you think every Coach that leaves a school is “ run off”? And it’s only Iowa fans? Making millions requires some success
Are you on hallucinogens'? You think I was saying that every coach that leaves a
school is run off but somehow all those other coaches that must have been run off could not have happened because it's only Iowa fans that run off coaches.
A small group of Iowa fans are very vocal with their demands and their expectations. Why should I or any other sane individual with a sound mind give a damn about the opinion of some delusional jerk?
Under whose authority do these idiots speak? My guess is they have no authority. My guess is that most of these idiots have issues with their own self worth.
I was on campus for 4 of Lute's years.....I don't remember fans running him off.
Then you are conveniently forgetting the fan turmoil after the Jim Bain debacles at Purdue after Lute rushed the court. Many fans were highly critical of Lute for his actions and they were very vocal. And, when Lute left there was hardly a goodbye. He and Bobby left about as quick as Alford. Lute was who complained about having to work in the ''fishbowl'' that was Iowa and that he couldn't even go out to dinner with his wife without fans bothering them. He didn't like that. When he mentioned that , many fans turned sour.

I've heard rumblings about it from my West side friends w/ kids still in HS. Much like the accident it seems to be common knowledge among the West siders. When I asked the neighbor kid about Jack leaving he confirmed it. I then asked "does anyone know he's leaving?" and his response was "everyone knows he's leaving. that's old news".......take it for what it's worth......
I tend to believe this. If this materializes, the question then becomes “does Fran stick around just this year (which I suspect Fran and the entire family really wants) or does he stay one more year to get the IA all-time total wins record (which Fran probably wants too)?”

Last edited:
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
giphy.gif

What if Notre Dame is in the Big 10 in 2 or 3 years. Does the family have any inside information on this, and that is why they are interested in going there, because of family history and wanting to give Iowa and the fan base the middle finger.
That would not be unprecedented because that is exactly what the extremely passive aggressive Tom Davis did. Partly, maybe mostly, because stupid Iowa fans make such wild and ignorant statements.

• Haha
Reactions: GHawk
Lute had battled for two studs out of Chicago and come up 2nd or 3rd...Isaiah Thomas and Cumming, both
ended up being NBA players. So I think Lute realized that recruiting to Iowa was tough but AZ being close to CA was a place he could recruit more easily.

Then there was the weather in Iowa ....Lute and his wife and his kids had come out of Long Beach in CA. My take is the Fishbowl aspect of Iowa City was the least influential.

Looking back, Lute had recruited guys lke Todd Berkenpass, Snedeker, and Anderson...no very good B-ball players. It was good time for Lute to leave someone else with that mess.

Raveling really did a great job restocking the talent level and looking back was underrated. Davis gets a lot of credit, but given the talent on that 87 squad, really he coulda/shoulda won it all. I don't think we'll ever see a Final Four or Elite 8 again. Collge B-ball landscape has changed a lot. Fran did a good job collecting Garza, Weezy, and two Murrays on one team and he blew it.

I doubt Fran makes a run in NCAA before he leaves. He's got a system that wins 51% of his B1G games, good enough to satisfy Fran Fans. Not playing defense means early exit in NCAA.

If Jack is really responsible for that accident he needs to leave town and get a fresh start. That is going to follow him around wherever he ends up

Good post, although Lute had established some strong connections in the Chicago area (which Davis later burned) and throughout the Midwest. Both Payne and Greg Stokes were big gets for him, and I think he would have continued to upgrade recruiting. Still not sure why the team played so poorly Raveling's first year. I think Lute's wife was by far the biggest reason why he left, and he had even more connections out west.

Iowa fans would run off the next Lute Olsen as a matter of factly as they did the first Lute Olson.
Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, George Raveling, Steve Alford are all amongst the coaches that Iowa fans ran off.
Running off a highly ranked player who happens to be the coach's kid will set new precedent.
Congratulations Hawk fans. You know who you are.

So if the Jack rumors are true about the auto accident are true, you don’t think that might impact his decision to get out of town?

I talked to someone today who is close to the family and he said they are looking for a prep school for Jack to attend.

It’s 4 hours and 28 minutes from Iowa City to Kansas City. At 90 mph, it would take you about 3 hours 25 minutes.

Are you taking the back roads when you come back? You did see the part where it said four(ish) right? You really “LOL’d” over 28 minutes of a four hour drive?

Iowa City to KC at 75 mph is 4 hours and 4 minutes.
My apologies. I live east of KC metro, and it takes me about 45 minutes to get to that I35 area on the north side of KC. It takes me a good 5+ hours and then plus a little extra for a couple of bathroom breaks. At 64 I can't make that drive without a couple of stops. I guess I should have said, I can't make that in 4 1/2 hour.

It's really a shame that (assuming he was indeed not driving recklessly or veered off the road cause he was fiddling with his phone, but the longer there's no leaks, I'd say the more likely, as it was just a tragic accident) the kid will likely be haunted forever by what very possibly was a 100% innocent tragedy, a la the Boeheim,one for example. Wrong place at wrong time

Are you on hallucinogens'? You think I was saying that every coach that leaves a
school is run off but somehow all those other coaches that must have been run off could not have happened because it's only Iowa fans that run off coaches.
A small group of Iowa fans are very vocal with their demands and their expectations. Why should I or any other sane individual with a sound mind give a damn about the opinion of some delusional jerk?
Under whose authority do these idiots speak? My guess is they have no authority. My guess is that most of these idiots have issues with their own self worth.

Then you are conveniently forgetting the fan turmoil after the Jim Bain debacles at Purdue after Lute rushed the court. Many fans were highly critical of Lute for his actions and they were very vocal. And, when Lute left there was hardly a goodbye. He and Bobby left about as quick as Alford. Lute was who complained about having to work in the ''fishbowl'' that was Iowa and that he couldn't even go out to dinner with his wife without fans bothering them. He didn't like that. When he mentioned that , many fans turned sour.
lmfao. His kids and his wife wanted out of Iowa long before the Jim Bain game. jfc. you are dead on about the fishbowl tho. Not its affect on coaches, but it affect on fans.

Reactions: dekhawk
I haven’t seen Jack play…how does his game compare to Patricks?

These are Jack's sophomore highlights. There is lots to like. Rim protector. Nice step back and pull up 3. Nice pull up jumper, post up game and handle. Great size (he's listed at 6'9). Runs the floor well.

And I don't think he's done growing; plus, he's got 2 more years to work on his body and his game before college.

He's gonna be a great college player.

Watch and let me know what you think.

• Sad
Matt Gatens will be the next coach.

Well that would be silly.
I agree Rock, Gatens is way too inexperienced at this point. We need a guy that has long term high major assistant experience and mid-to-major head coaching experience and success.

DeVries fits the bill nicely. I’m sure there are other viable candidates too.

I'd say she probably raised her sons better than your mother raised you.

Says the dude who says a young Millennial (i.e. Matthew Gatens) should be the next coach.

And the verdict is out how well my mother raised me LMAO. The only thing I can say for sure is, she never viciously berated a minimum wage employee at Carver in front of thousands of fans. That's good enough for me. Dbag.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Says the dude who says a young Millennial (i.e. Matthew Gatens) should be the next coach.

And the verdict is out how well my mother raised me LMAO. The only thing I can say for sure is, she never viciously berated a minimum wage employee at Carver in front of thousands of fans. That's good enough for me. Dbag.
**** you douche canoe. You want to berate others that haven't done anything to affect you whatsoever. I say your mama should of beat your ass until it drew blood. ****ing idiot.

He's 34. I think he's old enough to be a head coach and yes at a DI college, ****ing idiot.

What's sad is the same people who have been screaming nepotism for why Connor & PMac got scholarships will now be screaming that Fran can't even land his highly rated son, Jack.

Jack is good now and he's got 2 more years in high school to develop

Maybe Jack will change his mind over the next 2 years; if not, the fans screaming nepotism will have gotten what they wanted, which is NO SCHOLARSHIP for Fran's kid!

So true. I also don't think Fran retires soon with the incoming freshman he has.

Reactions: Franisdaman
I agree Rock, Gatens is way too inexperienced at this point. We need a guy that has long term high major assistant experience and mid-to-major head coaching experience and success.

DeVries fits the bill nicely. I’m sure there are other viable candidates too.

I forgot what his coaching resume looked like & had to look it up. DeVries was a longtime assistant at Creighton before becoming the head coach at Drake in March, 2018. He's a UNI grad and is 48 years old. His 5 year record at Drake is 122-48 (.718).

Every AD has "a list" in their back pocket; besides DeVries, I wonder who else is on that list.

So true. I also don't think Fran retires soon with the incoming freshman he has.

I always thought Fran would be here until at least 2029, which is when Jack would graduate from college and when he would turn 70.

Now, of course, some people think Fran will be done in a year or 2.

Well, I haven't seen any sign of him slowing down or that his time is about up. One example: since June 15 he has extended 17 offers for the 2025 class.

Reactions: Bishop1971
I forgot what his coaching resume looked like & had to look it up. DeVries was a longtime assistant at Creighton before becoming the head coach at Drake in March, 2018. He's a UNI grad and is 48 years old. His 5 year record at Drake is 122-48 (.718).

Every AD has "a list" in their back pocket; besides DeVries, I wonder who else is on that list.
Long term assistant at Creighton under two successful coaches in Altman and McDermott.

IA should have some good candidates when the time comes for a new HC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT