ADVERTISEMENT

Jeez - we really are a 3rd world country when it comes to counting votes!

NDallasRuss

HR Legend
Dec 5, 2002
There's no way it should be this hard!!

If I'm making the rules...

#1A. All voting is online.

Early voting through election day, it's all online.

Ever registered voter gets a unique code/ identifier and can vote during the voting window.

If for some reason you don't have access to the internet after 30 years of widespread access, then go request a paper ballot, but it had better be submitted in advance of voting day.

This is just terrible - its now Friday and there's still places counting.

If i can do every single thing online (except for my water bill, because I'm in a small town), voting should be online also!

Ever registered voter gets a unique code/ identifier and can vote during the voting window.

If for some reason you don't have access to the internet after 30 years of widespread access, then go request a paper ballot, but it had better be submitted in advance of voting day.

If i can do every single thing online (except for my water bill, because I'm in a small town), voting should be online also!
I’m wondering what everyone thought would happen when all the signature verification and ballot challenge laws. These all passed a year ago and everyone was honky-dory. Not offense, but this post couldn’t be more American. I.e. we want all this extta verification, but we want our results now!

I’m wondering what everyone thought would happen when all the signature verification and ballot challenge laws. These all passed a year ago and everyone was honky-dory. Not offense, but this post couldn’t be more American. I.e. we want all this extta verification, but we want our results now!
It shouldn't take this long! If you're registered to vote you get a code - that's your voting code. Use that to login and vote on the state's secure voting website.

Whatever other accommodations are required happen before the deadline, and don't continue after.

Reactions: nelly02

Thank your local Republican legislature

It shouldn't take this long! If you're registered to vote you get a code - that's your voting code. Use that to login and vote on the state's secure voting website.

Whatever other accommodations are required happen before the deadline, and don't continue after.
That’s never going to happen. Hell the GOP in Texas doesn’t even allow online registration.

Reactions: NoleATL
The government can. There are groups that don’t want that to happen.
Let’s stretch the legs on this thought- because to be fair I think you mean republicans.

FanDuel, even stock trading apps, make me scan my ID, and then do a face recognition thing. All in addition to providing other personably identifying information.

The long held argument by R has been, just identify yourself to establish who you are to vote - which is countered by 1 of 2 arguments- you want this why? Because cheating? There’s no cheating if you can’t prove it. Or, it somehow disenfranchises people.

I’m living in a fantasy world to assume we could all vote online and just use the simple method of scan face and ID.
But, to be fair- my 15 year old took her drivers test online, at home, with me using an app to validate myself as the auditor or whatever- so it’s not like there’s no precedence

Nobody really cares about Russ or RockyMtNole. If we get hacked it’s just bad luck.

Hacking US elections? I think that’d be pretty enticing to bad actors.
But i find it really hard to believe that we're not farther along than to be able to get secure logins to a site to vote. Use 2-factor identification or whatever, but let's stop having to mark bubbles on paper sheets and take 3+ days to figure out who won.

LOL, everyone thinks "online" solves everything.

When we transitioned to UltiPro, the idea was that employees "self service" themselves for all their work needs. Guess what? Some employees don't (or can't, or won't) do that.

Same thing when we got OnShift. Employees need to have an app on their phone for it to work. Well, everybody knows how to download and navigate an app, right?

WRONG.

You would not believe how many people simply cannot do these sorts of things.

Let’s stretch the legs on this thought- because to be fair I think you mean republicans.

FanDuel, even stock trading apps, make me scan my ID, and then do a face recognition thing. All in addition to providing other personably identifying information.

The long held argument by R has been, just identify yourself to establish who you are to vote - which is countered by 1 of 2 arguments- you want this why? Because cheating? There’s no cheating if you can’t prove it. Or, it somehow disenfranchises people.

I’m living in a fantasy world to assume we could all vote online and just use the simple method of scan face and ID.
But, to be fair- my 15 year old took her drivers test online, at home, with me using an app to validate myself as the auditor or whatever- so it’s not like there’s no precedence
So there are layers to the concern. Some of them are : (1) the concern about hacking; (2) people voting for other people; ultimately the ease of voting and how many would vote if you could vote on line are the biggest issues

So there are layers to the concern. Some of them are : (1) the concern about hacking; (2) people voting for other people; ultimately the ease of voting and how many would vote if you could vote on line are the biggest issues
Yeah that’s fair. But- you gotta admit that we’re a ways behind. I don’t know the solution, but to be counting votes days later - are we voting with rock and chisel?

Reactions: NDallasRuss
At minimum- I’d say if there is a national candidate on the ballot, all states should have a uniform voting procedure. How early votes are counted, what early voting looks like, when those votes are counted and how, etc.

You're missing the key roadblocks to any of this moving forward. 1) The GOP is staunchly against nationwide voting regulation and standardization. 2) The GOP is all in on planting seeds of doubt regarding the security and veracity of the election process as a motivation strategy. 3) Implementation of such a broad change and standardization process would require a Constitutional ammendment, which is as likely as the Hawks winning the BIG Football championship game this season.

Reactions: TennNole17
But i find it really hard to believe that we're not farther along than to be able to get secure logins to a site to vote. Use 2-factor identification or whatever, but let's stop having to mark bubbles on paper sheets and take 3+ days to figure out who won.
You know how I know you slept through covid?

Why is Florida so efficient?

Reactions: dandh

All voting needs to be governed by the feds. It's crazy to think states can do what they want to elect a federal official.

I don't get this. Who cares? Vote by mail has increased exponentially in the last few years which is creating the delays in some states. More important they get it right.

From what I understand, they are still counting ballots in Florida, they just didn't have any high-profile close races in Florida, although if someone wants to correct me on that go for it.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
The states are supposed to be sovereign, except in the defined areas where the Constitution makes the federal government supreme.
To this end- if there’s a national race on the ballot, shouldn’t there be some universal standards? Am I finding a loophole?

I don't get this. Who cares? Vote by mail has increased exponentially in the last few years which is creating the delays in some states. More important they get it right.

From what I understand, they are still counting ballots in Florida, they just didn't have any high-profile close races in Florida, although if someone wants to correct me on that go for it.

Not really a correction, but Florida law requires mail-in votes be received at the county supervisor of elections office by 7 p.m. on election day (except for mail-in ballots from military members stationed overseas... those continue to be counted after election day).

From a hacking perspective, one ring to rule them all is preferred.

1648760640-MV5BNzI4OTJhNmMtZjBjYS00ZjQxLWJiZDItM2Q5MDQ1NGEyMzhmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE-V1-FMjpg-UX1280-.jpg

Reactions: Joes Place
AZ is going to be slow. Every early/mail vote has the signature checked by both a Republican and Democratic vote counter. Every voter is then notified via text that their vote was counted. That is why it is so hilarious that maga-nuts keep crying fraud. AZ goes to great lengths to guarantee the vote count is accurate.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye

Cannot happen as not everyone has access to a computer or tablet or cellphone. Only possible way is if the guvment provides a new computer to every citizen in his or her 18th birthday. Just like some can’t provide ID nor arrange transportation to polling locations.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition

Too easy to hack

And impossible to correctly "recount" if hacked.
It's why paper ballots are the most secure and re-checkable option.

Any proof to this statement?
A online voter registration bill has been introduced in legislature since 2017 and never makes it to a vote. A federal judge ordered Texas to comply with the National Voter registration act and we did not. The COA reversed because the plaintiffs were able to eventually register, thus claims were moot. Currently Texas is on of (I believe) 6 states that don’t allow online registration

• Wow
Reactions: Joes Place
I guess I don't understand why taking what amounts to an extra week is such a big deal. When are all these elected officials going to take office, January I presume? The world is not coming to an end knowing that the House and Senate majorities still haven't been determined.

Be patient.

Reactions: Joes Place and sob5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT