ADVERTISEMENT

Jeez - we really are a 3rd world country when it comes to counting votes!

Op I hope your dream doesn’t happen. Voting in person is one of the few remaining things we do where we can actually see and feel democracy in action with our fellow community members . We’re already so, so, so disconnected and isolated from one another — ESPECIALLY those who don’t look like us, pray like us, etc. I love the ritual of voting in person. And don’t mind the extra time needed to count every ballot. It’s one of the few things that is actually suggestive of “every vote matters”.

Reactions: mientkiewicz
But i find it really hard to believe that we're not farther along than to be able to get secure logins to a site to vote. Use 2-factor identification or whatever, but let's stop having to mark bubbles on paper sheets and take 3+ days to figure out who won.

My grandparents are in their 80s. They have internet but login to like 3 sites. There is no way that age group could get it done. My parents are in their 60s. Maybe 1/3 of them could do it.

I think it fits the younger folks for sure and I do see it moving that direction as time moves along. I do worry about breaches with that model though. Technology is great until it isn't

Amen OP

if I can pay the government online I sure as hell can be able to vote too.

there are a lot of smart internet security folks out there I’d think they could figure it out.

I guess I don't understand why taking what amounts to an extra week is such a big deal. When are all these elected officials going to take office, January I presume? The world is not coming to an end knowing that the House and Senate majorities still haven't been determined.

Be patient.
Because the perception is that the more time counting, the more time for shenanigans, especially after you get some data and can forecast trends from the vote tallies.

• Haha
Reactions: sob5 and Mpchillin
Not really a correction, but Florida law requires mail-in votes be received at the county supervisor of elections office by 7 p.m. on election day (except for mail-in ballots from military members stationed overseas... those continue to be counted after election day).
This is the easy solution.

Actually the easy solution is make in person voting with an ID the rule, not the exception, and make Election Day two weeks long to give people the chance to do it.

Absentee voting limited to shut ins and military.

Reactions: AreWeCross

Actually the easy solution is make in person voting with an ID the rule, not the exception, and make Election Day two weeks long to give people the chance to do it.

I have voted both ways for 60 years and see no difference as the vote has always taken 2 days for the results in Penna. As far as IDs, it is presented every year when i register so i have no idea why the cons can't see this. In Pa, no vote can be counted or touched until the last person has voted, thats just crazy.

There's no way it should be this hard!!

If I'm making the rules...

#1A. All voting is online.

Early voting through election day, it's all online.

Ever registered voter gets a unique code/ identifier and can vote during the voting window.

If for some reason you don't have access to the internet after 30 years of widespread access, then go request a paper ballot, but it had better be submitted in advance of voting day.

This is just terrible - its now Friday and there's still places counting.

If i can do every single thing online (except for my water bill, because I'm in a small town), voting should be online also!
Have you been called "racist" and a "bigot" enough yet?

I guess I don't understand why taking what amounts to an extra week is such a big deal. When are all these elected officials going to take office, January I presume? The world is not coming to an end knowing that the House and Senate majorities still haven't been determined.

Be patient.

Because the R's feel like if you don't have 32 million security measures you can't trust the vote.

If the vote takes a long time to count thanks to 32 million security measures than the R's feel like people are out "finding votes"

Either way they can scream that the election is rigged every time they lose.

To be fair I am not on board with this elections are rigged BS. But I would not trust an online vote.

It's not the security of the voter's elibility that I am concerned about It's the fact that potentially hacking it and changing the results would be the mother load for anyone who has an interest in the outcome (which is damn near everyone).

Putin would spend half his country's national budget in order to be able to change the outcome of our elections.

Because the perception is that the more time counting, the more time for shenanigans, especially after you get some data and can forecast trends from the vote tallies.

That perception is entirely an invention of your side which then enacted a billion security measures to make sure that the vote count took a long time.

That perception is entirely an invention of your side which then enacted a billion security measures to make sure that the vote count took a long time.
So your position is that the political parties will spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to win an election, but that nobody would ever try to cheat? That seems naive.

So your position is that the political parties will spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to win an election, but that nobody would ever try to cheat? That seems naive.
Of course there is cheating going on. Anyone who doesn't think so is a fool.

And for the record, I am not a stooge for a single party, like most on here. I vote for candidates from both.....as well as the occasional independent. I vote for the person. I put country over Party.

Seniors would be scammed out of their voter codes by Russian bots who would then vote on their behalf.

Of course there is cheating going on. Anyone who doesn't think so is a fool.

And for the record, I am not a stooge for a single party, like most on here. I vote for candidates from both.....as well as the occasional independent. I vote for the person. I put country over Party.
Who is cheating?

No idea what your second point is. I never said that.
When it takes a week to count votes in Nevada, when batches of ballots that are overwhelmingly in one candidates favor get added at 3 in the morning, or when people are opposed to common sense security measures, it is reasonable to have suspicions. People cannot be counted on to always be honest unfortunately.

Nobody’s mind gets changed by getting shouted down and calling them election deniers and threats to democracy. That actually just leads to more crazies like we saw on J6.

• Haha
Reactions: Mpchillin
When it takes a week to count votes in Nevada, when batches of ballots that are overwhelmingly in one candidates favor get added at 3 in the morning, or when people are opposed to common sense security measures, it is reasonable to have suspicions. People cannot be counted on to always be honest unfortunately.

Nobody’s mind gets changed by getting shouted down and calling them election deniers and threats to democracy. That actually just leads to more crazies like we saw on J6.
Ok…

Be patient.
The problem isn't the wait. The problem is that it takes Florida, New York and California two hours to count millions of votes. It takes Arizona a day to count 60K.

Why does it take such a different time. It just opens the states/country to a host of problems that are its own doing

Reactions: goldmom

Why can't the military get their ballots sent in time?

Any reason those should be "received and counted" past election day, while others cannot be? Nope.

Make the rule consistent for everyone.

Why can't the military get their ballots sent in time?

Any reason those should be "received and counted" past election day, while others cannot be? Nope.

Make the rule consistent for everyone.
I am all for mail in voting, but think states should not accept/count ballots received past 7pm local time on Election Day. If you miss the mail in window, drive it to a drop box. Otherwise, plan better next time. No exceptions for military, shut ins, etc.

Reactions: goldmom
I am all for mail in voting, but think states should not accept/count ballots received past 7pm local time on Election Day. If you miss the mail in window, drive it to a drop box. Otherwise, plan better next time. No exceptions for military, shut ins, etc.

It's either "postmarked by" or "received by".

Make it consistent, whatever that rule is going to be. And adjust schedules for early voting and drop boxes, accordingly.

OR and CO track every ballot they mail out with envelope barcodes. So, when you drop it off, or send it back in, they know who it's supposed to be from, they know what the signature is supposed to look like, and they send email/text notifications to the voter who sent it. So, if you didn't send yours in, and you get that notification, you know your ballot was stolen and can request another one; they'll set the original aside as "forged", and will send you a new one, with a new unique barcode. If it's too close to election day, you'll have to either vote in person, or pick one up in person (with the same unique envelope identifier).

There's simply no reason this secure method cannot be adopted by other states.

How in the world can he know? None of us know. However to think that nobody would do it if given the opportunity is naive.
There always has been, and always will be, one-off occurrences of cheating. Some have been prosecuted and convicted. There has yet to be any proof of a material level of current day cheating. Only dangerous lies created by materialistic nut jobs for their financial benefit and propagated by a narcissist who was too narcissistic to admit defeat and too many otherwise smart people who fell for those lies because they didn't want the narcissist to lose. sorry for the run-on sentence.

Reactions: Joes Place
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT