ADVERTISEMENT

Joe T gone

Man I am bummed but I get where Joe is coming from. To highlight some facts Joe. T did rank 96th nationally at assist rate and 8th at steal rate. He did do some things very, very well and was a tenacious and infectious competitor. He was not a great scorer or shooter but someone I really liked having on the team. How many times did JBo get backdoored against Richmond? Fran wants to play fast but you have to have guys that can go. I also worry that Fran is never going to get the D there. I will be rooting for Joe T wherever he goes.

Once again the NCAA tournament has proven that if you want to advance, it requires elite guard play both offensively and defensively and Iowa's roster currently is void of that. After Perkins, I don't see another solid two way player at the guard slot to help make a tournament run past the first weekend.

Once again the NCAA tournament has proven that if you want to advance, it requires elite guard play both offensively and defensively and Iowa's roster currently is void of that. After Perkins, I don't see another solid two way player at the guard slot to help make a tournament run past the first weekend.
Joe was also the only player with a body that looked like it had seen a weight room.

Sorry to see Joe leave because of his hustle and toughness. But, he was a below average PG for a P5 team and a way below average PG for a top 25 team. Some of you guys seriously overrated him if you think Fran mistakenly ran him off. I think Joe wants to have a larger role, but that’s not going to be on a to 5 B1G team

as soon as he was benched( and he still got significant playing time) Iowa went from a team going nowhere but mediocrity to one of the hottest teams in the country. Fran did the right thing obviously since it worked, Joe was a hustle guy and a good teammate, but he proved he was not a starting caliber PG on a good team.
It showed that against teams with non-athletic guards, JBo wasn't enough of a defensive liability to offset what he brought offensively.

When we played teams with athletic guards, JBo was a net negative because he got exposed on defense and couldn't get open to produce offense.

Unfortunately, Fran couldn't figure that out and Iowa's performance suffered/Joe T transferred.

Man I am bummed but I get where Joe is coming from. To highlight some facts Joe. T did rank 96th nationally at assist rate and 8th at steal rate. He did do some things very, very well and was a tenacious and infectious competitor. He was not a great scorer or shooter but someone I really liked having on the team. How many times did JBo get backdoored against Richmond? Fran wants to play fast but you have to have guys that can go. I also worry that Fran is never going to get the D there. I will be rooting for Joe T wherever he goes.
Joe collected those numbers in just 17 minutes per game. He led the team on a per 40 basis in assists and steals and it wasn't close. Had he played 30+ he likely would have been top 10 in the nation in assists and steals per game.

Joe collected those numbers in just 17 minutes per game. He led the team on a per 40 basis in assists and steals and it wasn't close. Had he played 30+ he likely would have been top 10 in the nation in assists and steals per game.
Doesn't assist rate take this into account?

Joe T ceiling was an average guard in the big 10 at best. He has been below average thus far. If you can’t see this you are blind.

I’m trying to figure out why people think JT was good. He made 4 to 5 terrible passes or dribbled the ball off his leg/foot a game.

As big of a douch as he is, Fran should get involved in the Curbelo recruitment. I just don’t know if he can get away with 5 travels a game like he did at Illinois if he came to Iowa.

I’m trying to figure out why people think JT was good. He made 4 to 5 terrible passes or dribbled the ball off his leg/foot a game.

Played great defense. Made several great assists per game. Got us out in transition where the team excelled. Made free throws. Played with toughness that seemed to be contagious and helped the team.

He didn't have 4 or 5 turnovers per game...

Go watch about 2 minutes of Bowens tape and you’ll know why Joe is transferring. My guess os Fran gave him a very straight forward answer that Bowen was likely going to start next year and he’d rather go be a back up on a contending team next year. Joe was a great hawkeye just not a guy you can trust to run your offense for 30 minutes. He will go be be a fantastic back up pg for a contender
This is silly. Fran told Joe that Bowen is the starting pg next year? Not a chance. $20 says so.

It showed that against teams with non-athletic guards, JBo wasn't enough of a defensive liability to offset what he brought offensively.

When we played teams with athletic guards, JBo was a net negative because he got exposed on defense and couldn't get open to produce offense.

Unfortunately, Fran couldn't figure that out and Iowa's performance suffered/Joe T transferred.
Not quite sure why anyone haha'd this... This is the most accurate post on this board I have seen in awhile.

I don't know about far below, but agreed it's less as of today. He's had one less year to develop though. As discussed at end of the season, he needs to rediscover his confidence and shoot 74898394543 shots this off-season. With some improvement he can be a wash in terms of roster composition for JT next year.
Maybe with a bigger role next year Ahron will rise to the occasion

This is silly. Fran told Joe that Bowen is the starting pg next year? Not a chance. $20 says so.
I could see Connor moving back to PG like you said but you really need him at the 3 or 4 for depth. I don’t think Fran promises starting spots but I’m sure he can be honest with Joe about his chances of starting. Did you want Joe T playing 30 minutes? He’s good in bursts but not the guy you want playing big minutes.

I could see Connor moving back to PG like you said but you really need him at the 3 or 4 for depth. I don’t think Fran promises starting spots but I’m sure he can be honest with Joe about his chances of starting. Did you want Joe T playing 30 minutes? He’s good in bursts but not the guy you want playing big minutes.
Conner is a point forward and will compelment the PG if he comes back

I would have been happy with Joe playing 30 next year. He was a difference maker on defense and the best assist pg on the team. Fran will start Cmac at PG because that's his best position, he wants him to play significant minutes, and Fran trusts him to run things over everyone else. There aren't any other positions that fit those characteristics.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Haven’t read through this thread, but this is reason for optimism for me for a couple of reasons

1) it could mean that Dasonte Bowen is the truth, which I’ve long suspected. He is Fran’s handpicked point guard, after all

2) if Fran is not confident in Dasonte, Iowa now has a gaping hole at the point guard position to where we could easily attract a needle-moving point guard in the transfer portal

3) I am a huge Toussaint fan. I was one of his biggest supporters all season. That said, he is undersized, not a scoring threat, and his on-ball defense is not great. Ulis is a substantially better on-ball defender, rebounder, and more capable of running Fran’s offense without killing flow/disruption. The Richmond point guard toasted Bohannon and Toussaint alike in the first round of the tournament. He wasn’t going to be a starter on a Sweet 16 team. Now the door is open for somebody who can be

I love everything that Joe brought to this team and program, but our backcourt will be more versatile next year without him

Joe was here 3 f——— years and he Did receive a fair shot. Great kid but Fran was unable to promise him a starting job. As a poster earlier pointed out the season turned around when JBO returned as the starter. Most felt it was a great move byFran.

Reactions: perryhawk
I like Joe but he tried to always play hero ball. Sometimes it worked out for him and other times he was out of control and didn’t know how to let the game come up him.

With that said, Saint Peter’s paging Joe T, Saint Peter’s paging Joe T.

Good luck Joe. Wish you the best and hope you do well.

Senior Day is always such a great day. It makes me sad that Iowa fans won't get to share that moment with a guy like Joe who put so much work in. Best of luck going forward.

Joe's post seems pretty blunt in stating this was about PT. Interesting in the sense because he would be expected to start based on being a 4 year guy. Fran is honest with his players, so he must've told Joe that the bench is likely. Likely a sign that they're projecting Bowen to start. I'm the president of the Ahron Ulis fan club though so I won't dismiss him. Didn't have the year I was hoping from him and his end product was lacking. But haven't been dissuaded in thinking he has talent.

There will be no one on next year's roster below 6'3" which could be good or bad. Good in the sense that you have great length on the perimeter to contest shots. It will be interesting to see if quick PG's in the 6'0"-range give Iowa troubles.

I don’t think it’s good for CBB but overall but it’s beneficial to individual players.
Not sure it is good for all players. It seems like there is a fairly high percentage that don't get offers "comparable" to the school they are leaving.

Personally I'm sorry to see JT leave and hope he's able to find a place where he can excel.

Loved Joe's attitude and defensive play, but on offense he looked like he was playing on skates half the time. After seeing the guards in the tourney (including those for smaller schools like Richmond and St Peters), we have to be better at PG. Hoping Bowen is a move in that direction, but also need to go after one more in portal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT