ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Toussaint "Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye"

lonestar50

HR All-American
Sep 3, 2007
Good to see there's no hard feelings between Joe and Iowa.

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — Joe Toussaint knows what the Iowa basketball team is getting into Thursday in its NCAA tournament opener.
The former Hawkeye point guard, in his first season with West Virginia, scored nine points against Auburn in the Mountaineers’ 80-77 victory the Tigers in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge in late January.

“They’re a gritty team, very gritty, athletic. Very good defensively," Toussaint said Wednesday before West Virginia took the court at Legacy Arena to prepare for its opener against Maryland. “Their bigs are really good. Their guards are crafty. They’re a really tough team. They’re really going to defend you."

Toussaint said he speaks with his former Hawkeye teammates on a regular basis, talking to Patrick McCaffery on Tuesday about being at the same tournament site.

Earlier in the week, he shared his scouting report on Auburn with Connor McCaffery, who reciprocated by telling Toussaint about the Maryland team West Virginia will face.

“I’m still tight with all the guys, talk to a lot of them every week," Toussaint said. “Those are my guys. There’s no bad blood between me and Iowa or anybody in that state. I love those guys. They’re still my brothers. Once a Hawkeye, always a Hawkeye."

Connor McCaffery said while they did talk a little shop about their opponents, the conversation did drift a bit.
“Just like usual," he said.

While he still talks to his former teammates regularly and has watched as many Iowa games as he can, Toussaint said his move to West Virginia has been beneficial.

“The change of scenery, it’s been good for me," Toussaint said. "It’s given me a fresh start."
He has started just one of the 33 games West Virginia has played during its 19-14 season, averaging 9.5 points and 21 minutes per game while ranking second on the team with 80 assists.

Toussaint averaged 4.4 points last season with Iowa. When he left the Hawkeyes, he chose West Virginia for the opportunity to learn from coach Bob Huggins.
“He’s a Hall of Fame coach. You can’t turn that down, and it’s only six hours from home," the New York City native said. “My family came to nearly every game."

Joe's a really easy guy to root for.
Obviously hawkeye fans are still fans of Joe T and Nunge. Not so much of CJ though. I loved watching Joe take out the clones at WV. He dominated the clones in the final 2 minutes. Hope he plays well in the tournament.

Reactions: slipHawk
I always really liked Toussaint. I was sad to see him go but am happy that he (1) enjoyed his time at West Virginia and (2) liked his time at Iowa and still has a good relationship with his former teammates.

Texas Tech
There are a lot of players in college that unfortunately are just not that talented offensively and never will become a consistent scorer. Joe is one of them.
He has his niche in the game and that's defense and pushing the ball and has become a very good at shooting free throws.
He's been through the wars, so as a 6 year player he has value but throwing gobs of money at him seems like a stretch. Good luck to him as it may be his last go around playing the game unless it's overseas.

Toussaint made things happen for both teams on both ends.

He got steals and also let a lot of people go right by him reaching for steals.

He created baskets by pushing the ball but also had a significant amount of bad turnovers.

He really wasn't a starter quality player but probably deserved more minutes considering the massive holes in the skill sets of the people playing in front of him his years at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT