ADVERTISEMENT

Joe W

you don't tell a kid that posted back to back 175+ assists the last 2 seasons that he has to dribble less,

especially when he was the ONLY PG in the last 25 years to do that. getting ASSISTS is the main job of the PG.

Wrong. The main job of the PG is to help the team score points on offense, and help the team prevent points from being scored on defense- just like every other position on the floor.

Reactions: LudwigOreilly
This I absolutely agree with.

His value on the court is highly dependent on hitting from deep. Opposing teams can take this away from him more easily if he is the primary ballhandler than if he could make his defender chase him without the ball and rub off a couple of screens.

Disagree but just slightly. One of the reason's Bohannon is struggling a bit more this year is that he has the ball in his hands less. When Connor McC is in the game, it means Bohannon is either on the bench or playing off the ball. And so far, the theory of freeing up Bohannon for more shots if he's off the ball hasn't come to fruition. And it likely won't, because he's not very big and not super fast.

His first two years, most of his 3's have come from transition (where he pulls up before the defense matches with him), if the defender plays a ball screen improperly, or kicked out to him off an offensive rebound/drive. Iowa has had very little success freeing him up for shots running him off a bunch of screens without the ball.

The Iowa offense has still been very effective this year, due to the improvement of Cook, progression of Garza, and the additions of McCaffery and Wieskamp. But for Iowa to reach maximum potential, they do need to get Bohannon going. I'm not sure what the answer is. Teams are really focusing in on him, trying to not let him get any open/easy looks.

Reactions: jasonrann
Disagree but just slightly. One of the reason's Bohannon is struggling a bit more this year is that he has the ball in his hands less. When Connor McC is in the game, it means Bohannon is either on the bench or playing off the ball. And so far, the theory of freeing up Bohannon for more shots if he's off the ball hasn't come to fruition. And it likely won't, because he's not very big and not super fast.

His first two years, most of his 3's have come from transition (where he pulls up before the defense matches with him), if the defender plays a ball screen improperly, or kicked out to him off an offensive rebound/drive. Iowa has had very little success freeing him up for shots running him off a bunch of screens without the ball.

The Iowa offense has still been very effective this year, due to the improvement of Cook, progression of Garza, and the additions of McCaffery and Wieskamp. But for Iowa to reach maximum potential, they do need to get Bohannon going. I'm not sure what the answer is. Teams are really focusing in on him, trying to not let him get any open/easy looks.

Very good analysis.

I don't think the idea was to run him off allot of screens. Frans never done that much besides the 1 year with Gattens and occasionally with Jok.

The focal point of the offense with Frans giant roster has been the post up game and then to kick out from there.

The idea with moving JBO off the ball was more to get the ball out of his hands because he struggled to bring it up against pressure and get any kind of offense initiated. He was ok off misses and shooting in transition but after makes against pressure he had a really hard time just bringing it up against 1 defender. Teams figured out what he wanted to do, which was run to the 3 line, and have it defended now.

Connors not great against pressure either but hes better.

JBO is still getting looks from 3 , he just needs to start making them.

The PG's job is to break down the defense and drive or kick it. Bohannon can't do that with his back to the basket 25 feet away. The kid is giving maximum effort but when you can't square up and drive north-south for fear of getting ripped by cupcake opponent guards there is a problem. The team is much more dynamic with Connor at PG and the ball moves more crisply. Not sure what the answer is but Fran may have to make the tough decision to sit Bohannon and play Connor, Baer, Weiskamp, Cook and Garza during crunch time as I believe that is the best under 5 minute roster we have. 3 guys who have the ability to drive it on the floor would be nice.

I agree for the most part though I prefer Bohannon in for Garza with Baer at 4 and Cook at 5 when Iowa is preserving a 4-8 point lead under 5 minutes because of Bohannon’s ability to hit Free Throws and for an extra ball handler. Now if it’s an even game and lead is changing, I like the line-up you suggest but also depending on match-ups.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Please stop saying Jordan was a 4 star recruit. His offer list, which was very light says he was a high 2 star/3 star recruit. 4 star recruits have offer lists that are stacked with Power 5 offers.

I'm glad we have Jordan, but he is what he is. he has plenty of deficiencies. Does some nice things but my no means elite. A lot of his stats the first two years are the by product of playing 32 minutes a game with the ball in his hands. Those numbers are now going down and may continue to go down.

With the addition of another point guard and continued progress of Connor, Jordan's minutes may drop to 20/game next year. For the team that might be a good thing as players improve.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Please stop saying Jordan was a 4 star recruit. His offer list, which was very light says he was a high 2 star/3 star recruit. 4 star recruits have offer lists that are stacked with Power 5 offers.

I'm glad we have Jordan, but he is what he is. he has plenty of deficiencies. Does some nice things but my no means elite. A lot of his stats the first two years are the by product of playing 32 minutes a game with the ball in his hands. Those numbers are now going down and may continue to go down.

With the addition of another point guard and continued progress of Connor, Jordan's minutes may drop to 20/game next year. For the team that might be a good thing as players improve.

The largest and most well known recruiting service in the country begs to differ.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207416/jordan-bohannon

I also didn't cherry pick the good bio; I only cite to ESPN because it has the largest network of scouts; maintains a stable grading scale and usually underrates Iowa recruits and commits so its kind of a reluctant witness.

Unless I'm mistaken Jordan is the #25 PG nationally; #20 player regionally and the #1 player in the state with four actual stars next to his name.

Last edited:
Offer list: Iowa, Drake, Lehigh, UNI, DePaul, SDSU. That’s not a 4* list even if found a crappy site that said so.

Wrong. The main job of the PG is to help the team score points on offense, and help the team prevent points from being scored on defense- just like every other position on the floor.

Well, the two Bohannon teams have been the 2nd and 3rd highest scoring teams of the McC era so Jordan is obviously meeting your first criteria.

Jordan's defense has improved this year so he's improving on your second criteria. This actually sent me down memory lane. Other than Andre Woolridge none of the Hawk better point guards were really great defenders. Oddly, little remembered guys like Mon'ter Glasper and Val Barnes were pretty good defenders. Horner was kind a big physical defender on smaller guards but not an overall great defender. Dean O had some size problems although he could stay in front of his guy. Mike G was the best defender Iowa's had at point guard since Kenny Arnold & Ronnie Lester but Mike G lost a lot of games for Iowa at the line.

You rarely get the complete package at Iowa.

Offer list: Iowa, Drake, Lehigh, UNI, DePaul, SDSU. That’s not a 4* list even if found a crappy site that said so.

Two problems for your position. First, no one seriously offered because the entire country knew he was going to Iowa. Second, dismissing ESPN as a "crappy site" seems like a pretty weak straw at which to grasp.

I will concede ESPN has biases but even that defect doesn't help your argument. One of ESPN's biases is against Iowa recruits so its not like citing an Iowa water carrier.

Two problems for your position. First, no one seriously offered because the entire country knew he was going to Iowa. Second, dismissing ESPN as a "crappy site" seems like a pretty weak straw at which to grasp.

I will concede ESPN has biases but even that defect doesn't help your argument. One of ESPN's biases is against Iowa recruits so its not like citing an Iowa water carrier.

So UNI and Drake thought they could compete with Iowa but no teams above that level? That's ridiculous. Nobody is scared of competing with Iowa. Wisconsin didn't even offer.

JBO last year had a higher percentage of ballhadling responsibility than any past Iowa guard maybe other than Andrea Woolridge his senior year. That will inflate stats, period.

Ask yourself this. Would Connor McCaffery ever be taking pg time away from BJ, Woolridge, or Dean Oliver?

Of course not.

Jordan is a great shooter and that is his primary asset at this level. Hes not above average at creating shot opportunities for others, there was just no other player that could even dribble the ball for more than 5 seconds last year.

The year prior Peter Jok was the initiator of the offense far more than Bohannon, especially twoards the end of games.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
So UNI and Drake thought they could compete with Iowa but no teams above that level? That's ridiculous. Nobody is scared of competing with Iowa. Wisconsin didn't even offer.

JBO last year had a higher percentage of ballhadling responsibility than any past Iowa guard maybe other than Andrea Woolridge his senior year. That will inflate stats, period.

Ask yourself this. Would Connor McCaffery ever be taking pg time away from BJ, Woolridge, or Dean Oliver?

Of course not.

Jordan is a great shooter and that is his primary asset at this level. Hes not above average at creating shot opportunities for others, there was just no other player that could even dribble the ball for more than 5 seconds last year.

The year prior Peter Jok was the initiator of the offense far more than Bohannon, especially twoards the end of games.
He's a good kid and a true Hawk but a very average big ten player. And if he's throwing up stones he's not helping us at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT