ADVERTISEMENT

I must admit.....

83Hawk

HR Legend
Sep 17, 2002
I have mentioned several times how apathetic I've become towards the men's basketball team. Call it Fran Fatigue, whatever.

But I sure enjoyed the game last night. For the first time all season I was emotionally involved...cheering the good and lamenting over the bad. It was a fun game to watch. Kudos to Fran and the Boys!

sometimes they win in spite of Fran and what little coaching he does
Geez! I know Fran isn't perfect. He's not Coach K or the Wizard of Westwood. But he's taken 4 different programs to The Dance, 3 of them from one bid leagues. He has the most wins in program history. According to last night's announcers, Iowa has led the conference in scoring 6 straight years. Sure, his coaching of defense could be improved. But the guy can coach, and does coach.

One constant all year is that our boys play hard and don't give up. That is something to cheer for.
First off, they played well, beat a good team, the team deservea some praise for not folding it up.

Yes, I think the effort was there for 90% of the squad. I can think of one guy that wants to try hard, but is scared of physical contact, so it is more of a mental issue + bad parenting.

After losing to Illini and losing to OSU in BTT--- even if by a some miracle we had made the NCAA tourney, we were primed for a 1 and done in NCAA tourney. So now we are on a roll with 1 NIT win ---thanks to Sandfort/Krikke going off and friendly home game crowd.

The real fireworks will be in the Portal this spring---we have a lot to lose and Fran has not shown much ability to provide a meaningful gain. Return everybody and we should be better next year. I'd be crushed if that Dix to Creighton rumor had any basis.

I have mentioned several times how apathetic I've become towards the men's basketball team. Call it Fran Fatigue, whatever.

But I sure enjoyed the game last night. For the first time all season I was emotionally involved...cheering the good and lamenting over the bad. It was a fun game to watch. Kudos to Fran and the Boys!

So, what you are saying is, Fran is da man? ;)

Geez! I know Fran isn't perfect. He's not Coach K or the Wizard of Westwood. But he's taken 4 different programs to The Dance, 3 of them from one bid leagues. He has the most wins in program history. According to last night's announcers, Iowa has led the conference in scoring 6 straight years. Sure, his coaching of defense could be improved. But the guy can coach, and does coach.

With 28 years as head coach he obviously can coach---just not at a level that will get you much more than 0.500 in B1G or do very well in BTT or do very well in NCAA tournament, You dont have to take it as a personal attack that some fans don't think Fran is the answer to their individual Hawkeye dreams. You like Fran--great.

He's not a bad coach by any stretch, but even Alford had a Sweet16 on his first few years and Lickliter also had a sweet16..both are coinsidered garbage coaches by some of the same fans that are happy with Fran....

With Fran going 0-28 years in Sweet16 appearances with different 4 teams it appears to some of us that it is kind of a trend that says maybe Fran's style of coaching is not likely to result in an NCAA run, ever.

Yes when Fran is gone, I know we could get licklitered again...ot TJ Otzelberg'ed. I'll take my chances.

With 28 years as head coach he obviously can coach---just not at a level that will get you much more than 0.500 in B1G or do very well in BTT or do very well in NCAA tournament, You dont have to take it as a personal attack that some fans don't think Fran is the answer to their individual Hawkeye dreams. You like Fran--great.

He's not a bad coach by any stretch, but even Alford had a Sweet16 on his first few years and Lickliter also had a sweet16..both are coinsidered garbage coaches by some of the same fans that are happy with Fran....

With Fran going 0-28 years in Sweet16 appearances with different 4 teams it appears to some of us that it is kind of a trend that says maybe Fran's style of coaching is not likely to result in an NCAA run, ever.

Yes when Fran is gone, I know we could get licklitered again...ot TJ Otzelberg'ed. I'll take my chances.
What bothered me most about your post was the phrase, "...what little coaching he does." People who have greater access than I do have commented on how hard he works. Try cutting back on the hyperbole.

What bothered me most about your post was the phrase, "...what little coaching he does." People who have greater access than I do have commented on how hard he works. Try cutting back on the hyperbole.
They certainly don't comment on how far he has taken his programs in the NCAA

Reactions: ICHerky

Yes, I don’t care much for many of our fans. And quite frankly I’m not Fran’s biggest fan, but honestly…some of these guys ought to be grateful they don’t have someone wishing them fired all the time, because they may deserve it🤷‍♂️

Frans biggest problem is his stubbornness, his substitution patterns can be head shaking. He doesn't call timeouts when a team goes on huge runs. I believe beyond all the temper tantrums, he is a good guy and has more integrity than his peers. His teams play hard. I think we can attribute some of the losses of the years to him being outcoached or outcoaching himself.

It was a fun game. Payton looked great—and that 2nd half by Krikke. Yeah, baby! Did anyone mention when was the last time Iowa led wire to wire?

Reactions: Willin and 83Hawk

How was your record as a coach

• Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Posts like this are why people don't take you seriously...

We’ve been through this before. You don’t take me seriously, some others, that align with you also may not, but they take me seriously enough that they try to run me up the flagpole because they are irritated by me… Like you here….

And second of all he used to coach softball just so you know…

So in review, plenty of people take me seriously, just not you and if you did, I’d know I was doing something wrong…. Anything else Ronnie?

That K-State team, just for the record, beat THREE top ten teams this season, including Kansas and Iowa State. So the team Iowa defeated last night wasn't chopped liver.

And did you see what that "NCAA team" Virginia did last night? You think Iowa couldn't have done better? LOL
And K State came to play...they weren't mailing it in. A quality win by the Hawks fer sure.

Hawks did play well but something I noticed all year is when we get up 11 or 13 we start taking bad shots. Last night, up 13 and Peyton throws up a 25 footer, why? They come down and score. Next time down Tony forced up a shot inside, got fouled but no call and no basket. They come down and score. Next time down Freeman puts it on the floor with three guys open outside and it gets stolen. If we made them work and moved the ball, maybe insead of them getting back to 6 we stay in double digits. Overall though, they played tough

But just make sure you watch us the first weekend, because we ain’t making it to the second one! 😊

I did too, that Kstate team was pretty salty from what I saw - lots of individual talent, but obviously never put all the pieces together. Small crowd and they were into the game - but at times I have to admit that CHA sounded like a tennis match on TV. 😎

Yeah, Hawks shot the ball very well but man…

…I thought K state was awful. Oddly terrible. How they got to 19 wins I have no clue.

Hawks did play well but something I noticed all year is when we get up 11 or 13 we start taking bad shots. Last night, up 13 and Peyton throws up a 25 footer, why? They come down and score. Next time down Tony forced up a shot inside, got fouled but no call and no basket. They come down and score. Next time down Freeman puts it on the floor with three guys open outside and it gets stolen. If we made them work and moved the ball, maybe insead of them getting back to 6 we stay in double digits. Overall though, they played tough
IMO Peyton can shoot any damn time he crosses the half court line. He made some ridiculous shots last night. I had no issue with that heat check last night.

I’m not happy with Fran’s tourney record at Iowa. But it’s very disingenuous to bring up the other 3 schools when talking about S16 appearances. Guess how many S16 games Lehigh, Siena, and UNCG have appeared in with or without Fran?

…I thought K state was awful. Oddly terrible. How they got to 19 wins I have no clue.
They got discombobulated around Christmas and turned into a turnover machine. As someone mentioned they have solid talent but it never seemed to play together very often.

Sweet 16*, baby!

*indicates numerical representation vs. spelling out "sixteen" to distinguish between the NCAA and NIT versions

Reactions: 83Hawk

I don't disagree on a lot of your points, but making the Sweet Sixteen does not come with a trophy. It is not the defining point of great coaching.

I can’t stand Tang. But they had Max Abmas committed to them who then got flipped to UT at the last minute. Then they had to roll with Perry at PG which he is not equipped to play.

I must admit...

I semi-interested to see what an Iowa team can do without Fran playing his kids way too much. How many years has it been? 6 or 7 since we've seen that?

This is true but the Hawks fought off the run by K State. Also, there are many other teams that also do this. For some reason when we are hooked on the Hawkeyes we tend to think we are the only team that ever does this.

I don’t mind Fran and I do love watching the Hawks play. The defense is frustrating but they can score. I love watching Kirk’s teams too. The offense can be frustrating but the defense is elite. I love watching Lisa’s teams play. Sometimes their defense and rebounding is less than stellar but the offense is terrific. Why do I feel this way? Because I’m a Hawk fan and am going to support them every year. BTW, the men won 6-7 more games than I thought they would. From the beginning of the year I saw big improvement!

I'd kinda like to see them play in Hinkle Fieldhouse.

LDWufw.gif

Reactions: 83Hawk
The guy can coach offense. That's it. We ridicule USC and teams that score but can't defend.

Fran is a bargain bin Lincoln Riley

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT