ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Wieskamp: The legend that will be

drh1150

HB MVP
Jan 11, 2003
First Big Dance game, biggest stage of his life and he delivers.
6:44 left and he hits a 3 to tie the game.
1:47 left and again another 3 to push the lead to 6 (at which point I started standing, too shaky to sit).
:36 left and he hits both FT's. Game over.

Should he stay all four years, I think he will have become an all-time fan favorite.

He needs to marry Logan cook and give us several boy and girl players in 20 years

Joe Wieskamp can play defense and rebound. He
scores from 3 point land and also drives to the bucket.
He is the complete package that you want in a Big
Ten basketball player.

As a freshman he has 11.1 points per game and
377 total points. It is good to see a Hawkeye freshman
with a double digit scoring average.

I admire Joe's loyalty to Muscatine and Iowa. He could've transferred out of Muscatine to a higher profile school. He could have wavered in his commitment after last year's disasterous season.

None of that was ever a consideration. He is 100% Hawkeye. I believe that kind of loyalty needs to be reciprocated by we the fans.

We added Wieskamp and Dom Uhl graduated. + 10 wins/NCAA's. Garza improved a lot.

Baer had his worst season in an Iowa uniform last season and was injured for part of it. Kriener also improved a ton on both offense and defense.

Adding Wieskamp was a huge part. Getting JBo some rest with a backup PG, a year of experience, and cutting down the rotation. IMO, those were the key differences.

Joey W. Joe Toussaint is Joey T.

The rare freshman that is everything the recruiting profile says he is. His jump shot is gorgeous and I'm guessing the FTs are over 80% next year. Athletic to hoop; already pretty strong.

Since he committed to Iowa when he was six years old the odds favor a four year career. Actually think he'll finish as the top scorer. Think he'll be up around 16 ppg next year.

Joe reminds me of one Raymond Thompson and their frosh seasons are remarkably similar. Both deferred to veteran players and let the game come to them. Both scored about 11-12 ppg as frosh with similar numbers filling out the rest of the stat sheet- quality all around players.

Thompson was pouring in 20 ppg before his highly unfortunate exit mid-way through his soph campaign. I agree that Joe will average around 16 ppg next year as he will have more veteran scorers around him than Ray.

It is no exaggeration to say that Joe has a great chance to be the all time leading scorer and consensus greatest ever player at Iowa.

First Big Dance game, biggest stage of his life and he delivers.
6:44 left and he hits a 3 to tie the game.
1:47 left and again another 3 to push the lead to 6 (at which point I started standing, too shaky to sit).
:36 left and he hits both FT's. Game over.

Should he stay all four years, I think he will have become an all-time fan favorite.
Not to mention several nice defensive plays, turned Cincy over at half court on the press, and blocked their 6'11" centers shot at the rim. Great all around game from "the kid from Muscatine". Seriously, when is the last time that sand bar on the Mississippi has gotten this kind of love?

His attitude separates him. He will go down as my all-time favorite. Ice cold

Reactions: fivec61
Not to mention several nice defensive plays, turned Cincy over at half court on the press, and blocked their 6'11" centers shot at the rim. Great all around game from "the kid from Muscatine". Seriously, when is the last time that sand bar on the Mississippi has gotten this kind of love?
Every fall when the melons are ripe? No
Every year that Rabgrai ends there? Maybe
When the president of China visited a few months before he took office? Probably

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT