ADVERTISEMENT

John Deere strikers are nuts

I think you are missing the overall point. The 50k retirement bonus is a gift basically. I have yet to work at a company that gives a retirement bonus.

Plus, JD has offered a 6% match to their 401k. That is among the best I have heard for a manufacturer.

I get that. However, say a worker leaves Deere. The retraining costs and lost efficiency to get a new hire up to speed is probably worth that much so 50K is a cheap investment to keep someone around. Also with inflation, that 50K will be worth a lot less.

Last edited:
I get that. However, say a worker leaves Deere. The retraining costs and lost efficiency to get a new hire up to speed is probably worth that much.
Right but again that bonus is something almost no other manufacturer offers these days.

I do understand the value of comparisons, but they must be apt comparisons. There is no metaphorical bolt the CEO handles that compares, on any level, to a line worker's literal bolt.

Now, how (and why) on gods green earth did you introduce trump into the convo? Its nonsensical - I can't imagine being so obsessed with someone that I randomly shoe-horn in a name that has zero bearing on the discussion. Furthermore, id love to hear more about "folks like me"...what do you think you know about me?
I don’t think you understand comparison nor metaphor.

Funny, if our healthcare system is so bad, please explain why King Hussein of Jordon came here for his cancer treatments when he could have gone anywhere in the world. Please explain why citizens of Canada come to the U.S. and are willing to pay out of their own pockets for treatment here because the line they have to wait in Canada is months or years long. If our system is so bad, please explain why many of the most advanced medical treatments and practices are invented here? Or why places like England have medical care for the people and then special hospitals and doctors for the very rich?

Lastly, there is a new book "A Shot to Save the World: The Inside Story of the Life-or-Death Race for a COVID-19 Vaccine" that quotes the founders of Moderna who said they couldn't have developed and gotten financing for the vaccine outside of the U.S. they tried but no one believed in them. The founder said this was only possible because of the U.S. free market system.

I'll wait for your well educated response.
It's great if you have a lot of money. That's not the big picture issue though.

Reactions: Rudolph
Right but again that bonus is something almost no other manufacturer offers these days.
The only reason they are getting that signing bonus is because they will miss their profit sharing they earned throughout the year. This will just even out what they already earned

The only reason they are getting that signing bonus is because they will miss their profit sharing they earned throughout the year. This will just even out what they already earned
Wait...wut? Deere workers get profit sharing now?

Ummm...I don't think in all that has been said about this fracas that I have seen that ditty. I am now more curious about the details that they are arguing about...but sharing the profits, at some level, seems to be at the heart of the dispute.

What gives? Is there anyone in the know here?

Keep up. We are talking about the retirement bonus

I can't speak for other locations, but the vast majority of the blue collar guys and gals here in the quads are big time Trumpers.

True story -- a photog friend of mine was shooting pics at one of the strike locations and one of Bernie Sanders' field operatives stopped by with about a half-dozen hot pizzas for them. They were marginally polite to him and thanked him, but after he left - in front of my photog friend and a reporter - they started mocking him for being a "commie" and a "fag". The reporter then asked if anyone affiliated with Trump's Iowa org had offered any solidarity or help and they got super pissed and SWORE they KNEW Trump was working behind the scenes to help them :rolleyes:

American politics is beyond broken and people are idiots.
What a perfect example of just how unbelievably dumb we’ve become. Like, completely irrationally ridiculously dumb.

It's great if you have a lot of money. That's not the big picture issue though.
It’s crazy that he even made such an argument. Makes you wonder where he heard it, like who’s selling that as a good argument, and who’s buying it. Americans, of course. Americans.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I can't speak for other locations, but the vast majority of the blue collar guys and gals here in the quads are big time Trumpers.

True story -- a photog friend of mine was shooting pics at one of the strike locations and one of Bernie Sanders' field operatives stopped by with about a half-dozen hot pizzas for them. They were marginally polite to him and thanked him, but after he left - in front of my photog friend and a reporter - they started mocking him for being a "commie" and a "fag". The reporter then asked if anyone affiliated with Trump's Iowa org had offered any solidarity or help and they got super pissed and SWORE they KNEW Trump was working behind the scenes to help them :rolleyes:

American politics is beyond broken and people are idiots.
Shit like this is honestly why I have trouble having sympathy for them. Plus, JD is actually a quality employer compared to most manufacturers.

If they want to keep voting against their own self interests, why should I care?

Think what you want, but you've shown without doubt you do not nor do you have any sense of CEO job duties.
Sure, bud. Look, I’m sorry we basically speak two different intellectual languages. The difference is that I don’t have self-esteem issues so I don’t presume you have zero understanding of general duties of your average CEO. I just don’t think you’re grasping my metaphor, and that’s fine. I think you don’t want to agree with me on any level, because to do so harms your sense of identity. I’m not to be agreed with. So the metaphor is rejected and that’s that. And to rationalize this, I’m also to be positioned as not having any idea what a CEO does—which is weird because it’s not like some Wizard of Oz mystery.

It’s a really odd thing to base your idea that you’re right and I’m wrong, the idea that knowing what a CEO does is some special knowledge.

But, there is this pesky psychological crap. Gotta self-affirm. Just gotta.

Sure, bud. Look, I’m sorry we basically speak two different intellectual languages. The difference is that I don’t have self-esteem issues so I don’t presume you have zero understanding of general duties of your average CEO. I just don’t think you’re grasping my metaphor, and that’s fine. I think you don’t want to agree with me on any level, because to do so harms your sense of identity. I’m not to be agreed with. So the metaphor is rejected and that’s that. And to rationalize this, I’m also to be positioned as not having any idea what a CEO does—which is weird because it’s not like some Wizard of Oz mystery.

It’s a really odd thing to base your idea that you’re right and I’m wrong, the idea that knowing what a CEO does is some special knowledge.

But, there is this pesky psychological crap. Gotta self-affirm. Just gotta.
Dont over think it, I glean no identity from the positions of others - but that doesn't mean im not going to point out faulty logic when I see it.

It’s crazy that he even made such an argument. Makes you wonder where he heard it, like who’s selling that as a good argument, and who’s buying it. Americans, of course. Americans.
Please explain what about my statement was false?

Please explain what about my statement was false?
Aspects of a system can be “good” while the system writ large be not so good. Iowa football has a record of producing good tight ends. This doesn’t necessarily mean that Iowa football produces good offense.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97 and srams21
Dont over think it, I glean no identity from the positions of others - but that doesn't mean im not going to point out faulty logic when I see it.
Except it’s not faulty. You just misinterpreted things outta the gate and now you can’t bear to allow space for mutual understanding. That’s why you need to assert that I have no idea what a CEO does. Which is a really weird idea, given, you know, that it’s not some great mystery.

No it is the best for everyone it just isn't cheap because modern heathcare isn't cheap. Like everything else you get what you pay for. You want cheap move to Venezuela.
So in your world, the person who needs very expensive cancer treatments that they can't afford should either die or "move to Venezuela"? Another demonstration that you are deplorable.

Except it’s not faulty. You just misinterpreted things outta the gate and now you can’t bear to allow space for mutual understanding. That’s why you need to assert that I have no idea what a CEO does. Which is a really weird idea, given, you know, that it’s not some great mystery.
Its not faulty *to you*. Obviously thats not the case for all.

Its not faulty *to you*. Obviously thats not the case for all.
Ah, so now you’re recognizing your own subjectivity in your response.

Please tell me the big mystery that is CEO job duties. Because, essentially, your argument hinges on this weird idea that I have no idea what a CEO does.

There seems to be an overreach by the workers of JD. The offer seemed more then fair to me.

There seems to be an overreach by the workers of JD. The offer seemed more then fair to me.
I know somebody that is salary and now working in the plant during the strike. Rumor is the union will vote on same proposal again. But even my source said that is just a rumor.

I’ve never understood why republicans aren’t pro union. Instead of the government telling the corporation how to compensate their employees, the market is. These employees are saying “you don’t pay us enough”…if that isn’t true, JD will replace them at a lower cost. That seems pretty in-line with the Republican “free market” arguments I hear.

Buuut, then I realize it’s not really about the “free market” it’s about propping up corporations and wealthy individuals (who bankroll the party….both parties, actually) while convincing the masses that it will benefit them if their employer makes more money.

Reactions: gohawks50
I’ve never understood why republicans aren’t pro union. Instead of the government telling the corporation how to compensate their employees, the market is. These employees are saying “you don’t pay us enough”…if that isn’t true, JD will replace them at a lower cost. That seems pretty in-line with the Republican “free market” arguments I hear.

Buuut, then I realize it’s not really about the “free market” it’s about propping up corporations and wealthy individuals (who bankroll the party….both parties, actually) while convincing the masses that it will benefit them if their employer makes more money.
JD is by far offering the best package of any manufacturer in these cites. For that matter many college educated workers would love an $8,500 bonus. Healthcare with zero premiums and zero deductibles, a 10% raise, more bonuses and raises in future and $25,000 or $50,000 when they retire. Oh yes and a 6% 401(k) match.

maybe a few months on strike will give these workers a chance to look around and find out they had it better than almost everybody.

I thought it was smart to go on strike the first time. But holly shit what do they want?

Ah, so now you’re recognizing your own subjectivity in your response.

Please tell me the big mystery that is CEO job duties. Because, essentially, your argument hinges on this weird idea that I have no idea what a CEO does.
Of course it's subjective - were you of the belief I'm speaking absolutely for everyone?

My statement is there is zero comparison b/w a line workers stable workload (the literal bolt) and the CEOs volatile workload (the metaphorical bolt) and in my view, anyone drawing any sort comparison or congruency b/w them, doesn't understand the duties of one or the other. I agree, I wouldn't think it'd be a mystery, but here we are with someone trying to draw comparisons or parallels.

JD is by far offering the best package of any manufacturer in these cites. For that matter many college educated workers would love an $8,500 bonus. Healthcare with zero premiums and zero deductibles, a 10% raise, more bonuses and raises in future and $25,000 or $50,000 when they retire. Oh yes and a 6% 401(k) match.

maybe a few months on strike will give these workers a chance to look around and find out they had it better than almost everybody.

I thought it was smart to go on strike the first time. But holly shit what do they want?
I think they had a lot of support when they went on strike. Now that has dwindled drastically. I supported them initially but not now.

I agree it seems that way. And if it is, Deere will replace them or they’ll fold and agree to the terms offered.

Fascinating thread. Bunch of people who are not Deere CEOs or majority shareholders are bashing Deere workers for trying to get the most for the labor.
These are the same people that will tell you that corporate greed is good.
Why in the world wouldn't you support the workers in trying to get everything they can for their labor? What vested interest do you have in the corporation turning higher profits by compensating the labor force less?
So long as the business can remain in the black I don't see any reason not to cheer for the workers.

I think they had a lot of support when they went on strike. Now that has dwindled drastically. I supported them initially but not now.

Not surprising,.. most people I know generally view Deere workers as spoiled brats...

Reactions: ThisHawks4u

The traditional conservative aversion to unions, from my understanding, isn't against the free market determining wages - quite the opposite. The idea of the union is viewed as an unnatural mechanism that covers for the lowest denominator while holding back the top talent. Removing the meritocracy aspect in a sense.

Of course it's subjective - were you of the belief I'm speaking absolutely for everyone?

My statement is there is zero comparison b/w a line workers stable workload (the literal bolt) and the CEOs volatile workload (the metaphorical bolt) and in my view, anyone drawing any sort comparison or congruency b/w them, doesn't understand the duties of one or the other. I agree, I wouldn't think it'd be a mystery, but here we are with someone trying to draw comparisons or parallels.
There is a comparison. That’s how you did the “quantifying” you just did right there. There’s no, say it with me, equivalence. You’re making it abundantly clear that you, indeed, struggle with what a comparison actually is, why it is useful, and you also struggle with what a metaphor is, and why it can be useful.

Want to try this all over again? Because we’re back to square one. If you’re actually interested in accurately understanding my point, willing to make the effort, I’ll make the effort, too.

Fascinating thread. Bunch of people who are not Deere CEOs or majority shareholders are bashing Deere workers for trying to get the most for the labor.
Why in the world wouldn't you support the workers in trying to get everything they can for their labor? What vested interest do you have in the corporation turning higher profits by compensating the labor force less?
So long as the business can remain in the black I don't see any reason not to cheer for the workers.
What vested interest would anyone not working there have in the labor getting more money?

Also, anyone who buys JD would have a vested interest in them keeping costs down. Shareholders aren't going to let them just eat that profit erosion.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
It really is weird.

There is a comparison. That’s how you did the “quantifying” you just did right there. There’s no, say it with me, equivalence. You’re making it abundantly clear that you, indeed, struggle with what a comparison actually is, why it is useful, and you also struggle with what a metaphor is, and why it can be useful.

Want to try this all over again? Because we’re back to square one. If you’re actually interested in accurately understanding my point, willing to make the effort, I’ll make the effort, too.
Have at it, start at square one, but understand, im in no way trying to say (or say you said) there's equivilence as that would be more asinine than a comparison.

What vested interest would anyone not working there have in the labor getting more money?

Also, anyone who buys JD would have a vested interest in them keeping costs down. Shareholders aren't going to let them just eat that profit erosion.
A high tide raises all ships to your first question.

Last edited:
Reactions: BelemNole

1. Tell me you're a republican without telling me you're a republican. My interest is that wages going up helps those 10k people and their families.
2. Only if the company insists on protecting shareholder profits. That's not an actual requirement.
3. Here we admit that the whole point is to protect the rich getting richer and the company is just a vehicle for that. What they make is immaterial. Except to all the people that actually work there.

Reactions: Rudolph
Have at it, start at square one, but understand, im in no way trying to say (or say you said) there's equivilence as that would be more asinine than a comparison.
Dude, there is nothing asinine, inherently, about ANY comparison. That is, as long as you don’t conflate comparison with some notion of implied equivalence. Which is what I think you’re, like many these days, doing.

Okay, here goes. Bolt turner shows up and turns bolts. Maybe the bolt changes a little over time because a bolt designer designs a better bolt. Or the tool evolves. Or both. But, for the most part, the job remains basically the same, even as tech may evolve things.

CEO shows up day after day and has his own “bolts” to “turn”. In my original post on this, the one to which you took exception, I put bolts in quotes to signal metaphor. Shoulda put turn in quotes, too. The CEO’s bolts, and their turning, are of course more complex and require many more layers of information and things to consider—both known and projected. But the CEO also has tools to make these decisions (decisions are the CEO’s “bolts”) that remain fairly consistent. A CFO, a CMO, and so on. His senior execs are his tools. Every corp has similar “tools” and similar types of decisions to be made, thus my commenting that the CEO of Deere could become the CEO of a hotel group and be able to figure it out. Because the job isn’t a mystery. It also has its “bolts” that need “turning”. And while the pace and complexity may be different now than say 50 years ago, the job of CEO hasn’t changed all that much.

And this is why this exploding CEO compensation is something worth questioning. It’s not sustainable and is clearly not healthy for our economy.

But people defend it, why? And then we have people cheering AGAINST workers trying to get more of a share of things. Why? It’s just weird to me.

Weirder, though, is this idea that only truly similar things can be “aptly” compared. I can compare a toothbrush to a Subaru if it helps create a better understanding of either/both or some other thing being discussed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT