ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Dix

I wouldn't compare to either Hansen or Haluska

But if we're looking for white guards that played college ball in Iowa ( and apparently have last names starting with an H ) I'd go more with Jeff Hornacek or Jeff Horner. He's got very good handles and is crafty with the ball in his hands.....good vision and passer as well. Shooting Guard/Point Guard combo.

But if we're looking for white guards that played college ball in Iowa ( and apparently have last names starting with an H ) I'd go more with Jeff Hornacek or Jeff Horner. He's got very good handles and is crafty with the ball in his hands.....good vision and passer as well. Shooting Guard/Point Guard combo.
Not at all like Jeff Horner.

He actually shoots it and handles it like Haluska, only his outside shot is more consistent. He is also 6'5", just like Haluska. There are a lot of similarities besides his skin color (which doesn't really matter but since you brought it up), what are the differences you see? Where he was born? Who his favorite singer is? Is he dating a Wig and Pen server? ;)

Reactions: HIWILLE and jthawk
Not at all like Jeff Horner.

He actually shoots it and handles it like Haluska, only his outside shot is more consistent. He is also 6'5", just like Haluska. There are a lot of similarities besides his skin color (which doesn't really matter but since you brought it up), what are the differences you see? Where he was born? Who his favorite singer is? Is he dating a Wig and Pen server? ;)
BBHawk, Adam Haluska was a tremendous athlete. Is Josh Dix a tremendous athlete? This is a real question because I don't know.

Might be selling Bobby Hansen a little short, but Dix is a little more athletic and better with the ball.

Might be selling Bobby Hansen a little short, but Dix is a little more athletic and better with the ball.
The game has changed a lot too.... but yes Dix seems to play very well with the ball and is better creator than Adam or Hansen showed. Could be that's more of what we'll see from Dix at the next level too but just on what I've seem at the HS and AAU level Dix is a combo guard. I really like his game.

BBHawk, Adam Haluska was a tremendous athlete. Is Josh Dix a tremendous athlete? This is a real question because I don't know.
Sure seems like it. And size-wise, they are dead on.

They were both listed at 6'5 coming out of high school; Adam weighed 205; Josh is listed at 190.

When compared to Josh, Adam was a standout in 3 sports, won 8 State track titles and was a much higher ranked basketball player.

Adam's national ranking:

ESPN.com, No. 43
ESPN.com, No. 13 shooting guard
Rivals.com, No. 10 shooting guard

Rivals, in comparison, has yet to rank Josh.

Adam was a 3 time, first team Des Moines Register Class 3 A all state selection in basketball.

Adam was named Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year as the state’s top prep hoopster.

Adam lettered in baseball, football and track and field. He won 8 individual prep state track titles: long jump (three), 100 meters (two), 200 meters (two) and 400 meters (one) . . . named the Most Outstanding Performer at the 2001 and 2002 Iowa State Track and Field Championships . . . as a senior, recorded one of the most prolific performances in Iowa State Track & Field Championship history, becoming only the fourth athlete in the 97 year history of the state meet to win four individual events, claiming victories in the 100 meters (10.91), 200 meters (21.56), 400 meters (48.48) and long jump (22 5 1/4) . . . broke the Class 3A 100 meter state record with a 10.79 clocking in the preliminaries . . . also broke the 200 meter state mark with his time in the finals . . . Class 3A state champion in the 100 meters (10.84), 200 meters (21.67) and long jump (23 3 1/4) as a junior . . . won the Class 3A long jump title as a sophomore.

IOWA Career Scoring List:

When you add in the points Adam scored at Clown U, he scored a total of 1,862 in 4 years. 1,862 would be good enough for 3rd on the all time scoring list.

1 Luka Garza...2,306 (4 yrs: 2018-2021, 127 GP, .546 FG%, 18.2 ppg; 120 three pt goals)

2 Roy Marble...2,116 (4 yrs: 1986-1989, 134 GP, .539 FG%, 15.8 ppg; 26 three pt goals)

3 Aaron White...1,859 (4 yrs: 2012-2015, 140 GP, .517 FG%, 13.3 ppg; 61 three pt goals)

12 Adam Haluska...1,578 (3 yrs: 2005-2007; 98 GP, .430 FG%, 16.1 ppg; 212 three pt goals); NOTE: 284 pts @ ISU = 1,862 in four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 so far
They were both listed at 6'5 coming out of high school; Adam weighed 205; Josh is listed at 190.

When compared to Josh, Adam was a standout in 3 sports, won 8 State track titles and was a much higher ranked basketball player.

Adam's national ranking:

ESPN.com, No. 43
ESPN.com, No. 13 shooting guard
Rivals.com, No. 10 shooting guard

Rivals, in comparison, has yet to rank Josh.

Adam was a 3 time, first team Des Moines Register Class 3 A all state selection in basketball.

Adam was named Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year as the state’s top prep hoopster.

Adam lettered in baseball, football and track and field. He won 8 individual prep state track titles: long jump (three), 100 meters (two), 200 meters (two) and 400 meters (one) . . . named the Most Outstanding Performer at the 2001 and 2002 Iowa State Track and Field Championships . . . as a senior, recorded one of the most prolific performances in Iowa State Track & Field Championship history, becoming only the fourth athlete in the 97 year history of the state meet to win four individual events, claiming victories in the 100 meters (10.91), 200 meters (21.56), 400 meters (48.48) and long jump (22 5 1/4) . . . broke the Class 3A 100 meter state record with a 10.79 clocking in the preliminaries . . . also broke the 200 meter state mark with his time in the finals . . . Class 3A state champion in the 100 meters (10.84), 200 meters (21.67) and long jump (23 3 1/4) as a junior . . . won the Class 3A long jump title as a sophomore.

IOWA Career Scoring List:

When you add in the points Adam scored at Clown U, he scored a total of 1,862 in 4 years. 1,862 would be good enough for 3rd on the all time scoring list.

1 Luka Garza...2,306 (4 yrs: 2018-2021, 127 GP, .546 FG%, 18.2 ppg; 120 three pt goals)

2 Roy Marble...2,116 (4 yrs: 1986-1989, 134 GP, .539 FG%, 15.8 ppg; 26 three pt goals)

3 Aaron White...1,859 (4 yrs: 2012-2015, 140 GP, .517 FG%, 13.3 ppg; 61 three pt goals)

12 Adam Haluska...1,578 (3 yrs: 2005-2007; 98 GP, .430 FG%, 16.1 ppg; 212 three pt goals); NOTE: 284 pts @ ISU = 1,862 in four years.

Yup, size-wise (both 6'5") they are dead on.

Yup, size-wise (both 6'5") they are dead on.

Yes. But you left out the important question.

@Suterman asked you if Josh Dix was a tremendous athlete like Adam Haluska. You replied, Sure seems like it.

Josh is a nice basketball player but I would not call him a tremendous athlete at Adam's level. Josh doesn't have close to the same high school accomplishments in many sports that Adam had.

* Adam was a top 13 in the nation shooting guard, per Rivals and ESPN. Josh is not even ranked.

* Adam lettered in baseball, football and track & field

* Adam won 8 individual prep state track titles: long jump (three), 100 meters (two), 200 meters (two) and 400 meters (one)

* As a senior, Adam became only the 4th athlete in the 97 year history of the state meet to win four individual events, claiming victories in the 100 meters (10.91), 200 meters (21.56), 400 meters (48.48) and long jump (22 5 1/4).

* As a four year starter as a prep, Adam averaged over 17 ppg since his freshman year in high school. He capped his senior year with a third consecutive first team Des Moines Register Class 3 A all state selection, averaging 30.1 ppg and 9.9 rpg

* Adam finished his prep career with 2,209 points, 8th best total in Iowa prep history and the top scoring output for an Iowa large school (Class 3 A/4 A) player in state history

Reactions: natchrlman
Yes. But you left out the important question.

@Suterman asked you if Josh Dix was a tremendous athlete like Adam Haluska. You replied, Sure seems like it.

Josh is a nice basketball player but I would not call him a tremendous athlete at Adam's level. Josh doesn't have close to the same high school accomplishments in many sports that Adam had.

* Adam was a top 13 in the nation shooting guard, per Rivals and ESPN. Josh is not even ranked.

* Adam lettered in baseball, football and track & field

* Adam won 8 individual prep state track titles: long jump (three), 100 meters (two), 200 meters (two) and 400 meters (one)

* As a senior, Adam became only the 4th athlete in the 97 year history of the state meet to win four individual events, claiming victories in the 100 meters (10.91), 200 meters (21.56), 400 meters (48.48) and long jump (22 5 1/4).

* As a four year starter as a prep, Adam averaged over 17 ppg since his freshman year in high school. He capped his senior year with a third consecutive first team Des Moines Register Class 3 A all state selection, averaging 30.1 ppg and 9.9 rpg

* Adam finished his prep career with 2,209 points, 8th best total in Iowa prep history and the top scoring output for an Iowa large school (Class 3 A/4 A) player in state history
Okay.

Reactions: just_somebody
Never could really love the kid cuz of the wasted year in Clown Town but he may have been one of the best athletes to play basketball at Iowa. The speed, an elite football player. Josh is a good ball player no doubt, but he isn't going the length of the floor in Haluska time.

Never could really love the kid cuz of the wasted year in Clown Town but he may have been one of the best athletes to play basketball at Iowa. The speed, an elite football player. Josh is a good ball player no doubt, but he isn't going the length of the floor in Haluska time.

I seem to recall that Haluska wanted to come to IA as a freshman but the only two rides we had available went to Horner and Brunner.

That’s my recollection anyway, wouldn’t swear to it. You’d think Alford could have found a way to free up a ride for a player the caliber of Haluska if true.

No we had the spots. Adam was under a ton of local and family pressure to sing with the Clowns and welcomed the coach's termination as a chance to got where he originally wanted.

Reactions: skydog0784
Haluska would most likely beat Dix handily in a track competition, but with regards to moving around the court and elevating I think they are much closer. I remember Alford talking about having to coach Haluska that basketball was about CHANGE of direction and CHANGE of speed, not just raw speed, as Haluska would just try to blow by people early on. He developed pretty well over the years.

What's interesting about Dix is how effortless he looks in his videos, so it makes you wonder what his top end really is. He definitely moves as fast as he needs to get where he wants to go. He lacks Wieskamp's max vert perhaps but I would say his straight line speed and agility could be close to Joe's and he still hasn't hit his ceiling yet on Vert. Good mix of skill and athleticism and I'd say as an athlete he's much higher than the Oglesby / CJF range that we've had many of the last 10 years.

Haluska would most likely beat Dix handily in a track competition, but with regards to moving around the court and elevating I think they are much closer. I remember Alford talking about having to coach Haluska that basketball was about CHANGE of direction and CHANGE of speed, not just raw speed, as Haluska would just try to blow by people early on. He developed pretty well over the years.

What's interesting about Dix is how effortless he looks in his videos, so it makes you wonder what his top end really is. He definitely moves as fast as he needs to get where he wants to go. He lacks Wieskamp's max vert perhaps but I would say his straight line speed and agility could be close to Joe's and he still hasn't hit his ceiling yet on Vert. Good mix of skill and athleticism and I'd say as an athlete he's much higher than the Oglesby / CJF range that we've had many of the last 10 years.

Not setting the bar on the highest run but I'd agree Dix is more than sufficiently athletic for the position he will be asked to play.

Reactions: Jonnymungo

I will add this.....it also appears to me that Josh D is stronger in traffic and at the rim than Adam was in HS....Adam was a better leaper, but JD seems to impose his will when he makes that move to the hoop. I started out thinking the two guards from Illinois, Schutt (Duke) and Cam? (Xavier) were the higher level more talented guards....but after watching the highlight videos and reading the scouting reports I think Josh has the more complete skills set and is stronger than the other two. Schutt and Cam? might be slightly better 3 point shooters...slightly, but Dix is stronger in every other area...in my limited view and layman's opinion....Cannot believe that Rivals doesn't have him rated.

Last edited:
Dix can attack the rim and score mid level too.

Huluska was primarily a catch and shoot guy who was not a good ballhandler.

Height doesn't matter that much, what matters is wether or not players do similar things in similar areas of the court with similar results.

Dix can attack the rim and score mid level too.

Huluska was primarily a catch and shoot guy who was not a good ballhandler.

Height doesn't matter that much, what matters is wether or not players do similar things in similar areas of the court with similar results.
Well said. Its what I have been saying about turning over the "shooting guard" job to Tony Perkins without seeing what he has done in the off season. If Tony showing a good shot and improved ball handling all is well but otherwise he's going to be a defensive stopper that plays about 10 minutes a game. Adam had a hard time getting his own shot until senior season.

Looks like Wieskamp without one inch, the reach, and not quite the hops. But slightly stronger than Joe, with maybe slightly better defense. Just my opinion.

Handles the rock very well. Seems to play with in himself. Would like to see a bit higher release on his shot. Just quick impressions on the video. Would be a good get.

Reactions: perryhawk
A little more athletic Bobby Hansen for the old times.
Bobby Hanson was a tremendous athlete. For those around long enough to remember, Lute put him, as a freshman, on Darrell Griffith when nobody else on the Hawks could come close to stopping Dr. Dunkenstein. Regretfully, Bobby didn't do a whole lot better than everyone else, if memory is correct.

Bobby Hanson was a tremendous athlete. For those around long enough to remember, Lute put him, as a freshman, on Darrell Griffith when nobody else on the Hawks could come close to stopping Dr. Dunkenstein. Regretfully, Bobby didn't do a whole lot better than everyone else, if memory is correct.
I remember Bobby Hansen’s comment about Darrell Griffith. He said “I’ve seen guys that could jump high before, but they all came down “.

Hanson was a really good positional defender. Not that quick for a guard, but smart, strong, and used his size very well. I wasn't suggesting that Dix will be a better player (I hope he can be as good), but I thought his game reminded me of Hanson with maybe a little more hop and handles, at least coming out of HS. I think I defended Hanson in a later post, after someone seemed to downplay his ability.

Hanson was a really good positional defender. Not that quick for a guard, but smart, strong, and used his size very well. I wasn't suggesting that Dix will be a better player (I hope he can be as good), but I thought his game reminded me of Hanson with maybe a little more hop and handles, at least coming out of HS. I think I defended Hanson in a later post, after someone seemed to downplay his ability.
I wasn't being critical of your comments, simply adding my thoughts.

Reactions: HoustonREDHawk

If the Basketball court was 100 meters in length, then I think Adam's topline speed would have shown through. He didn't have elite 1st step quickness/shiftiness and that is why he didn't make it at NBA level. Gatens and Weiskamp were similar in success in B-ball. Weezy actually might be the better basketball athlete from Combine results.

I think Josh Dix is comparable to Josh Dix.

Why do people always have to find a comparison when in all reality it rarely matches up?
images

It is what Major League scouts or football scouts do when describing a prospect that they have drafted. Granted people on here may not be as astute as major league or football scouts but people that comment on here may have watched a lot of Iowa basketball and they give other people a point of reference on a player that Iowa may be trying to recruit.

I also thought of Bobby Hansen when watching the videos of Josh Dix although I certainly don't have the expertise required to make that judgement.

If the Basketball court was 100 meters in length, then I think Adam's topline speed would have shown through. He didn't have elite 1st step quickness/shiftiness and that is why he didn't make it at NBA level. Gatens and Weiskamp were similar in success in B-ball. Weezy actually might be the better basketball athlete from Combine results.
I think you're right on this one. Dubya is a very underrated athlete.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a Seinfeld reference, nttawwt

I think Josh Dix is comparable to Josh Dix.

Why do people always have to find a comparison when in all reality it rarely matches up?
This! We know the staff wants Josh so let's get him committed to Iowa. Which former player Josh most resembles is not important.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT