ADVERTISEMENT

Josh Gattis new OC??

Every OC Iowa has had the Iowa fans have said the same thing. Every one. As I said, time for BF to go and I am not advocating for him as a good OC ... but to not acknowledge other factors (players, execution, style of play that KF wants, etc) is why some Iowa fans complain about every OC that Iowa has had.

The whole style of play that KF wants will not generate high total yardage numbers almost any year. It just won't - people need to stop using that as a gauge for what Iowa does because it is not going to take into account their style. He wants a powerful defense that holds teams to FG's, not TD's and creates TO's by keeping the play in front of them with the idea that eventually the other Offense will make mistakes, a great ST that is good in all areas and controls field position and a great K that will be automatic on FG's from 30 - 50 yds when drives stall out, and a ball control Offense that will eat clock and not turn it over. They aren't looking to win shootouts.
The vast majority of fans understand this and it's why BF is often compared to his predecessors. He's been far worse than both KOK and Davis were, and that is saying a lot.

I understand we want change but why bring in a guy who hasn't been successful in his previous position?

Miami scored 14 points in a 4 overtime game vs mighty Virginia this year.
Right?

This is almost becoming like a woman who is constantly in bad relationships dating one asshole after another, but she can't help it because they all say the right things at the bars......................

I want no part of Gattis.

I want to see what Jon Budmayr is about. Hopefully he can get co-OC/Passing Game Coordinator or whatever title...but have major influence on passing plays and design at a minimum.

Reactions: BDJHawk
Their success hinges on whether their boss is willing to give them an opportunity to run the offense. If we get a new OC and the offense remains as stale as it has, who is to blame? I think we know that answer!

Reactions: cleotishaywood
Well...lots of wishful thinking going on here and that's cool but...

REALITY: it won't matter who the OC is or who is at WR or at QB if we can't get more talent on the line. It's not just that these guys haven't developed it's that they can't develop because they don't have the physical ability to play at the level needed. The recruiting misses and injury losses have left the cupboard completely bare. 3 or 4 new faces needed immediately on the oline and then maybe things look a little better with some of the other new toys. Portal or JC help needed now.

Every OC Iowa has had the Iowa fans have said the same thing. Every one. As I said, time for BF to go and I am not advocating for him as a good OC ... but to not acknowledge other factors (players, execution, style of play that KF wants, etc) is why some Iowa fans complain about every OC that Iowa has had.

The whole style of play that KF wants will not generate high total yardage numbers almost any year. It just won't - people need to stop using that as a gauge for what Iowa does because it is not going to take into account their style. He wants a powerful defense that holds teams to FG's, not TD's and creates TO's by keeping the play in front of them with the idea that eventually the other Offense will make mistakes, a great ST that is good in all areas and controls field position and a great K that will be automatic on FG's from 30 - 50 yds when drives stall out, and a ball control Offense that will eat clock and not turn it over. They aren't looking to win shootouts.
You can spin it however you like, the facts don't lie. The Iowa O has had 3 good years and they were under KOK. The were 2002, 2005 and 2006 and ranked 13, 22 and 27 respectfully. The balance of the years are an average O rating of 90th in the nation. Under BF, his O rating has an average of 104 with 88th being the best.

He has failed and an OC and frankly KF has failed to field an average offense during his entire tenure. If he had placed a bit more emphasis on offensive creativity and production, lord knows where this team could have gone given some the Parker defenses that have hit the field.

As I've posted before, I don't like the culture of the offensive side of the ball. We can debate play calls as winter long, but an OC is much more than a playcaller. I've never been a fan of Brian's recruiting, player development or culture.

I really don't think Phil is super innovative on the defensive side of the ball, but that side plays with a fire that the offense just doesn't.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
As I've posted before, I don't like the culture of the offensive side of the ball. We can debate play calls as winter long, but an OC is much more than a playcaller. I've never been a fan of Brian's recruiting, player development or culture.

I really don't think Phil is super innovative on the defensive side of the ball, but that side plays with a fire that the offense just doesn't.
Well most Michigan posts and stories comment on how McNamara is a leader and sets the tone for the culture.

And my GAWD man an Iowa fan in Ames. How do you live??????????????????????????

• Haha
Reactions: BirdistheWord
Well i took a little grief today from another poster so I'm keeping what i know to myself for a bit. It's just nice to help other fans get excited for the next 2 years possibilities.
Kf needs to hire a good OC and stay out of the way. If they are to succeed
Staying out of the way and letting them operate the way they need to.

Well most Michigan posts and stories comment on how McNamara is a leader and sets the tone for the culture.

And my GAWD man an Iowa fan in Ames. How do you live??????????????????????????
I only lived there for 4 years while my wife was in Vet School. And Iowa lost to ISU in FB all four years. I am in Omaha now and this week hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I think Husker fans know they got lucky this year.

I only lived there for 4 years while my wife was in Vet School. And Iowa lost to ISU in FB all four years. I am in Omaha now and this week hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be. I think Husker fans know they got lucky this year.
They would be crowing about the W if they had a winning record.

Their success hinges on whether their boss is willing to give them an opportunity to run the offense. If we get a new OC and the offense remains as stale as it has, who is to blame? I think we know that answer!
This is bullshit. The offensive Coordinator calls the ****ing plays not Kirk Ferentz. I think Kirk gives more responsibility to his coordinators than what people think

This is bullshit. The offensive Coordinator calls the ****ing plays not Kirk Ferentz. I think Kirk gives more responsibility to his coordinators than what people think
Then he is horrible at hiring OC's.
I disagree, the offense looks the same no matter the OC.
That points to one person.

I understand we want change but why bring in a guy who hasn't been successful in his previous position?

Miami scored 14 points in a 4 overtime game vs mighty Virginia this year.
To be fair it was his first year in a way different environment. I’m not gonna read too much into that especially given the fact he doesn’t want to be there. Saban liked him it appears. He can recruit at least. BF can’t call an offense or recruit.

• Love
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
So why have the offenses of KOK, Davis, and BF been so much alike in overall scheme and approach?
Player personnel. They were all a balanced offense 50/50 run/pass. Do you think they have enough time on the sidelines to run a play through KF before the play clock runs out?

Player personnel. They were all a balanced offense 50/50 run/pass. Do you think they have enough time on the sidelines to run a play through KF before the play clock runs out?
I don't think they're running plays by KF prior to the call. But I think KF does maintain a good bit of control over what options they have to draw from.

I do think there are only so many that KF approves. Or the style of play the qb has driven into his head

Wrong Bill Snyder was the best O C Iowa ever had. His offenses were fun to watch.

Please don’t do that. I understand why you would but that guy is 1% of posters while the other 99% really enjoy insider info.
Thanks for what you have shared so far!
His info is not insider. He will disappear from the board and assume a new screen name when it is shown that he is full of it.

That, and I am a very happy person!

Reactions: iamahawki
Haven't been a BF hater and always wanted him to be successful. His body language on the sidelines is terrible though and sends a wrong message to players. His dad is much more encouraging.

Be honest, were you laughing when you typed this?
He doesn't tell Pil Parker what run, and he doesn't tell the offensive coordinator what to run. I think you'd be surprised. I'm sure they all go over game planning together in meetings. But Kirk is not the one calling the plays. I'm sure it's the style of offense Kirk want's but he doesn't call the plays. Think of the many end arounds on 3rd and one and 4th and short that lost yardage. Do you think Kirk called those plays?

So many fans convinced that KF controls the offense because it sucks, and not the defense because it's good. This is just plain apathy or hate toward KF.

KF is bad at hiring OC's. I believe KF values Trust over almost everything else, which is why he sticks with coaches and sticks with QB's.

Letting BF off the hook because KF "handcuffs" him is nonsense. There is absolutely nothing about KF's system that means you can do any better than 88th in the country.

Reactions: hawk224
He doesn't tell Pil Parker what run, and he doesn't tell the offensive coordinator what to run. I think you'd be surprised. I'm sure they all go over game planning together in meetings. But Kirk is not the one calling the plays. I'm sure it's the style of offense Kirk want's but he doesn't call the plays. Think of the many end arounds on 3rd and one and 4th and short that lost yardage. Do you think Kirk called those plays?
I misread your original post. You are correct I don’t think KF calls the plays. I think he controls the philosophy as most HC’s do.
What is interesting is he wants an offense that does what his defense works hard to make the opposing offense do.

He was at Penn State before Michigan and Miami. Not the worst and yet nothing special. If anything he has recruiting abilities in the south (Florida).

Haven't been a BF hater and always wanted him to be successful. His body language on the sidelines is terrible though and sends a wrong message to players. His dad is much more encouraging.
How do you think Phil Parker’s body language is on the sideline??? Lol!

Reactions: ObeseMuffins
So many fans convinced that KF controls the offense because it sucks, and not the defense because it's good. This is just plain apathy or hate toward KF.

KF is bad at hiring OC's. I believe KF values Trust over almost everything else, which is why he sticks with coaches and sticks with QB's.

Letting BF off the hook because KF "handcuffs" him is nonsense. There is absolutely nothing about KF's system that means you can do any better than 88th in the country.
Bend but don’t break defense is all Kirk too. If a team is gonna score it won’t because they give up a big play. It will be because the opposing offense executed flawlessly for 12 plays or so down a long field. Wonder where that stat exists. Of our opposing offense TDs how many plays did it take them on average to score the TD. Assume Iowa makes teams work for them more so than most any other team.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
KF is the common denominator. It seems to me KoK had more freedom than the rest
+Brad Banks / Drew Tate
+Mo Brown / CJ Jones / Dallas Clark / Clinton Solomon
+Stacked O Lines

You watch a team like Michigan, their O is not THAT innovative. Bring in 3 TE's and run left? So much is about execution (and some creativity for sure) and talent/development. Michigan's #2 RB is elite and made one guy miss....to the house.

Our talent and execution on Offense used to be good to even very good. I challenge folks to even go back to Nate Stanley years (which is not that long ago) and the guy could sling it. Plenty of play action passes ISM. Lots of medium balls to Hock, etc. O Line was pretty good.

The combination of Petras + Poor O Line = disaster. Any mobility at all could have squeezed out a few more wins. Add on that we did not have Big Catch Radius or Lightning Fast WR's and its no wonder the years we have had recently.

Because Kirk is an offensive guy

His info is not insider. He will disappear from the board and assume a new screen name when it is shown that he is full of it.

I have been a member since the 90's but lost my password and everything else when my phone was hacked. Im not going anywhere.

And I'm not an insider. I just know someone who is. I also no someone in the uni sports program. I only gave some info so fans like me can have a little hope for next year and a lot for the year after

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT