ADVERTISEMENT

Kakert and Leistekow on OC - 12/13

Yeah, my take was not that they were saying these were the three top candidates, but more that these are 3 guys that might be under consideration. They did say Chryst would probably have the best odds, if odds were set for stuff like this, but they didn’t act like this was anywhere close to a done deal and that other names could emerge. They acknowledged Ludwig is a long shot.

Perhaps the more notable thing was that this podcast, which was recorded today, made no mention of the other names that started floating around the internet last night.
Who's those other names?

They released a pod today. According to them this is the status:

Likeliest candidate is Paul Chryst.

Second likeliest is Joe Philbin

Then third is Andy Ludwig.

Said could be other wild cards.

Portal not an issue because they have no schollies to give right now anyway.

Timing likely after bowl game for announcement.

Expect all 2024 commitments to sign.
So is that just their take...or is there something to support it? Talks? Calls?

Andy Ludwig-
In the four seasons since Ludwig's return, the Utah offense has eclipsed 450 yards of total offense in a game 24 times in 47 games, also scoring 30-or-more points in 34.

• Ludwig is a proponent of a balanced offensive attack and has coached a 1,000-yard rusher 17 times in his FBS coaching career, including Utah’s Quinton Ganther (1,120 in 2005), Darrell Mack (1,204 in 2007) Zack Moss (1,416 in 2019) and Tavion Thomas (1,108 in 2021).
  • In his four seasons back with the Utes, Utah has finished in the top-three in the Pac-12 in passing efficiency twice (2019, 2021), including ranking eighth nationally and atop the league in 2019.
  • In addition to a strong passing attack, Utah has ranked in the top-three in the Pac-12 in rushing offense in three of the last four seasons, including leading the league in 2019 and 2021.
  • In the last two seasons (2021, 2022), the Utes have produced two of the highest rushing yard totals in school history with Utah’s 3,047 yards in 2022 ranked second and its 3,035 yards in 2021 ranking third all-time.
  • The Utes also broke the school record for rushing touchdowns in a season in 2022, punching in 38 after setting the record at 37 in 2021.

If it is Chryst Maalik Murphy just entered the Portal as well RS Fr QB who would be a rather nice addition to the QB room .

If it is Chryst Maalik Murphy just entered the Portal as well RS Fr QB who would be a rather nice addition to the QB room .
That would be the best case scanio. Or Ludwig bringing one of utahs QB who entered the portal. I know we aren’t looking for QBs but a new OC might get the option of picking their players a bit

Earth shattering news from our insiders.

Just because some of us don’t need to agree with everything your Captain Kirk and Iowa does to validate your self worth, doesn’t make us miserable. I’ll walk out on the beach tomorrow and feel just fine.😊
However, you’ll get skin cancer in all that sun. 😉

I think they need someone that can sale. Recruiting is still a huge part of this game even with NIL. Will Cryst or Philben have the energy to put forth good recruiting efforts? I’m unsure about that. Ludwig seems to be the wildcard here and Utah is a program that in a lot ways is Iowa but better Offense.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I think they need someone that can sale. Recruiting is still a huge part of this game even with NIL. Will Cryst or Philben have the energy to put forth good recruiting efforts? I’m unsure about that. Ludwig seems to be the wildcard here and Utah is a program that in a lot ways is Iowa but better Offense.
Philbin left college because he didn't like recruiting.

If you want an OC that is young and can recruit then a call to Ryan Grubb should be in the cards then add head coach in waiting to the title/Associate Head Coach/OC.

Andy Ludwig-
In the four seasons since Ludwig's return, the Utah offense has eclipsed 450 yards of total offense in a game 24 times in 47 games, also scoring 30-or-more points in 34.

• Ludwig is a proponent of a balanced offensive attack and has coached a 1,000-yard rusher 17 times in his FBS coaching career, including Utah’s Quinton Ganther (1,120 in 2005), Darrell Mack (1,204 in 2007) Zack Moss (1,416 in 2019) and Tavion Thomas (1,108 in 2021).
  • In his four seasons back with the Utes, Utah has finished in the top-three in the Pac-12 in passing efficiency twice (2019, 2021), including ranking eighth nationally and atop the league in 2019.
  • In addition to a strong passing attack, Utah has ranked in the top-three in the Pac-12 in rushing offense in three of the last four seasons, including leading the league in 2019 and 2021.
  • In the last two seasons (2021, 2022), the Utes have produced two of the highest rushing yard totals in school history with Utah’s 3,047 yards in 2022 ranked second and its 3,035 yards in 2021 ranking third all-time.
  • The Utes also broke the school record for rushing touchdowns in a season in 2022, punching in 38 after setting the record at 37 in 2021.
All you’re telling me is he’s not qualified to run Iowa’s style of offense. Too many points. Too many yards.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
How can you root for Alabama? The sec needs to suck as they are the conference that didn't belong in the CFP.
Not Listening Excuse Me GIF by Travis

Great post pistachio! Hopefully Al of this happens and we get back these super seniors - I still think we need one more qb in the portal

What about Dabo Sweeney? What about the most successful coach in the big ten since they forfeited to Iowa in Jim Harbaugh? What about Ryan Day? It’s how the big boys do it. Like it or not. 🤷‍♂️ Don’t hate the messenger.
Ohio State has plenty of openings this year!

Far from miserable. Pointing out how the elite programs operate. Iowa doesn’t exactly have the “moral” high ground after these past four or five seasons, like a lot of us seem to think.
Iowas not an elite program, there’s maybe 5 of them. We can’t operate like something we’re not and don’t have the $$ to do. Get a clue.

If you want an OC that is young and can recruit then a call to Ryan Grubb should be in the cards then add head coach in waiting to the title/Associate Head Coach/OC.
How long would Grubb wait though? Remember we have that patented Barta extension still in place.

All you’re telling me is he’s not qualified to run Iowa’s style of offense. Too many points. Too many yards.
In my defense, those stats were only through the 22 season. I have a feeling that the 2023 stats aren't quite as impressive.

They also stated on the pod that Kirk does not require either coordinator to go on road recruiting. It’s their choice if they want to go visit a kid.

Reactions: doughuddl2
My personal favorite candidate on that list is Philbin. Kind of like a failed romance, you never really get over the fact he left iowa after those legendary offensive lines of 2002 to 2004 or whateve years it was. Imagine what could have been.

just hope if it is Philbin, that he is not "washed up" or too old or not too much of a yes-man to you-know who. I do not want Greg Davis, Version 2.0.
I don't think OSU would shell out the most money they ever spent for an analyst on a washed up coach.

That would be the best case scanio. Or Ludwig bringing one of utahs QB who entered the portal. I know we aren’t looking for QBs but a new OC might get the option of picking their players a bit
I sure as hell hope they’re looking at QBs. If not the OC talk doesn’t mean crap IMO.
We have Glass Joe and Tweedledee and some other kid that won’t play because his side burns are too long or something equally stupid and out of touch. That’s our QB room.
Until Kirk stops the high school favoritism/‘doin it the right way’ bullshit, nothing is changing… barring some huge talent upgrade at QB. And WR and OL

Reactions: vonviener
Dmb
I sure as hell hope they’re looking at QBs. If not the OC talk doesn’t mean crap IMO.
We have Glass Joe and Tweedledee and some other kid that won’t play because his side burns are too long or something equally stupid and out of touch. That’s our QB room.
Until Kirk stops the high school favoritism/‘doin it the right way’ bullshit, nothing is changing… barring some huge talent upgrade at QB. And WR and OL
Dmb comment

Reactions: RLMHAWK and INXS83
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT