ADVERTISEMENT

Kakert and Leistekow on OC - 12/13

None of Iowa's coordinators are required to do recruiting trips. They can, if they choose, but not required
I was not aware that it was not a requirement. In this dog eat dog world of college football recruiting, is there an expectation that the coordinators will be on the recruiting trail?

Brad clearly has great access and good information, but you've still got to take what he has to say with a grain of salt. Through his work with the Swarm, Brad has a vested interest in both building hype around the Hawkeye program, and in staying in the good graces of Kirk Ferentz. That's probably true for the Kakert, Leistikow, Dochterman, and the guys on the beat as well, but not nearly to the same degree. I think there's a degree to which Brad is almost acting as a PR agent for the Hawkeye football team. Nothing wrong with that, and I appreciate the things he has to say. But I also appreciate the things being said by some of those guys who have been on the beat for quite a few years.

This doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing, or a this-versus-that situation. I think it's good to listen to all these guys and form your own conclusions.
This.

Here’s a video for people like @Tom Paris who clearly don’t understand Brad Heinrichs’ role in Iowa football.

Some highlights of the 40 minutes I’ve watched so far:

* When players are interested in transferring to Iowa, they reach out to Brad because Brad is the money guy and because he regularly talks with the staff about personnel needs.

* When current Iowa players are thinking about transferring, they consult with Brad before making a decision because Brad knows what kind of money can be offered.

* Beth Goetz regularly asks Brad what SHE can do for him. As an aside, in the past she’s gone out of her way to praise Brad by name for the work he’s done in conjunction with the athletic department. Additionally, when Brad held a press conference a few months ago, Kirk Ferentz, Lisa Bluder and Fran McCaffery attended. That only happens when someone is genuinely integral to the athletic department’s success.

With the central role NIL plays in college sports these days, guys like Brad are at the heart of personnel movement. It’s hilarious to me that someone would think that Kakert knows more than Brad when Kakert gets a whole lot of the information he does know FROM Brad. As others have pointed out, Brad used to post definitive insider information on this very board before moving over to On3.

Lol. You’re kind of a drama queen.

Reactions: peacehawk
These two beat writers have zero inside info. That has been proven over the last 20 years. They don't break anything and only ask for subscribers $. These 3 names have been public from day 1. This post provides zero new info.

if he's the guy, we should be happy with his solid track record as oc with the packers and the time spent as part of the osu offensive brain trust

Let's just make the new OC the Iowa Pope and be done with it. At least we can bank on being blessed by God (maybe).
F_QDhuPWcAANifR.jpg

We all would have climaxed into our pants had we been told before the season that Philbin would be the OC in 2024.
Agreed. Tons of respect. Basically a second head coach on the field. I understand his demeanor is more like a Reese Morgan type so tirades.

Let's just make the new OC the Iowa Pope and be done with it. At least we can bank on being blessed by God (maybe).
F_QDhuPWcAANifR.jpg
I don’t think we ever lost a game when the dude in the Pope costume was there. His seat is up in NW corner.

The funniest part of this is that you think you’re qualified to talk about what Brad Heinrichs does or doesn’t know when you admitted you didn’t know who he was a month ago—despite the fact that Heinrichs has been an integral part of Iowa Hawkeyes sports on the inside for over a year and a half.

The second funniest thing is that you think someone outside an organization who covers them as a journalist knows more about that organization than someone who works closely with the players and coaches on an ongoing basis to better the future of said organization. It’s like saying a journalist who has been covering a tech company for 20 years know more about what’s going on inside the company today than someone who’s been a vice president for only 20 months. It’s laughably naive,

You like the information Tom Kakert provides. That’s great. But to say he knows more about what’s going on than someone who the program relies on for talent acquisition and retention means you haven’t been paying close enough attention for anyone to take your opinions seriously.
@chanecooms--Thanks for the kind words. I think there are reporters and other insiders that are boots on the ground in the Iowa City area that might find out about things before I do, and Tom Kakert is one of those. When it comes to football portal stuff, NIL, and player retention, like it or hate it I'm usually the first to know....not because I'm some hotshot...it's just this crazy position I occupy as head of the Iowa NIL.

Brad clearly has great access and good information, but you've still got to take what he has to say with a grain of salt. Through his work with the Swarm, Brad has a vested interest in both building hype around the Hawkeye program, and in staying in the good graces of Kirk Ferentz. That's probably true for the Kakert, Leistikow, Dochterman, and the guys on the beat as well, but not nearly to the same degree. I think there's a degree to which Brad is almost acting as a PR agent for the Hawkeye football team. Nothing wrong with that, and I appreciate the things he has to say. But I also appreciate the things being said by some of those guys who have been on the beat for quite a few years.

This doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing, or a this-versus-that situation. I think it's good to listen to all these guys and form your own conclusions.
Max--I totally respect your opinion that you think i'm a "hypeman" and full of garbage. There is certainly no requirement for you to give me an ounce of respect or credibility. To each their own.

Go Hawks!

Reactions: Easthawk1062
@chanecooms--Thanks for the kind words. I think there are reporters and other insiders that are boots on the ground in the Iowa City area that might find out about things before I do, and Tom Kakert is one of those. When it comes to football portal stuff, NIL, and player retention, like it or hate it I'm usually the first to know....not because I'm some hotshot...it's just this crazy position I occupy as head of the Iowa NIL.
Thank-you so much for what you do. For those of us that don't have the resources to donate swarm. I appreciate the other ways you have created like the beer and soon water that I can buy to support the Swarm.

Max--I totally respect your opinion that you think i'm a "hypeman" and full of garbage. There is certainly no requirement for you to give me an ounce of respect or credibility. To each their own.

Go Hawks!

There’s nothing wrong with building hype. I personally do it for a living.

I never once said you were full of garbage, in any way, whatsoever. Read my post, for Pete’s sake. I literally said I appreciate the things you have to say. I’ve said the same thing consistently across several threads.

Last edited:
Players taking the extra covid year plus 22 high school players signing LOI. Wait until after the bowl game and see who declares for the NFL draft or enters the 'late phase' portal.
Wouldnt be surprised to see ncaa just let allotted scholarship number jump to 100.

Wouldnt be surprised to see ncaa just let allotted scholarship number jump to 100.
Meh extra Covid year will be done in a couple of years. NCCA probably doesn't want headaches about colleges bitching that they need to fund an additional 15 women schollies to be title 9 compliant.

If the portal is this bad with players leaving I imagine it would be even worse with an extra 15 players sitting on the bench.

Reactions: obfuscating
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT