ADVERTISEMENT

Kakert and Leistekow on OC - 12/13

They released a pod today. According to them this is the status:

Likeliest candidate is Paul Chryst.

Second likeliest is Joe Philbin

Then third is Andy Ludwig.

Said could be other wild cards.

Portal not an issue because they have no schollies to give right now anyway.

Timing likely after bowl game for announcement.

Expect all 2024 commitments to sign.
I' be thrilled with any of the three. Maybe just for the sake of change, but probably more so knowing that these are HIGHLY accomplished offensive coaches.

Let's not lose the forest for the trees. BF was a major stretch for the OC role in terms of experience and overall competency. And it proved out.

BF is a good position football coach, but was in an untenable situation that he certainly was a part of - but also KF and GB.

When you have to start explaining everything ad nauseum, year after year, there is something inherently wrong and the situation is destined to fail.

BF simply didn't have the high football IQ he hoped to have developed, and ultimately failed as a leader.

It happens. And so BF has to take a step back and move on.

The three men listed above are proven leaders and very well respected in football circles.

Each of the three are MORE than competent and capable to lead the Iowa offense in a proficient fashion.

Chryst is currently at Texas. Philbin is at Ohio State. Ludwig is at Utah.

Iowa will be better for this.

JMO

Can you go please tell Alabama and Nebraska and Ohio State and Michigan and Clemson the same thing??? They need to all stop immediately!
Ohio State has had a lot of departures. What are all their schollie numbers??? Maybe they fire kids and make them leave.

I' be thrilled with any of the three. Maybe just for the sake of change, but probably more so knowing that these are HIGHLY accomplished offensive coaches.

Let's not lose the forest for the trees. BF was a major stretch for the OC role in terms of experience and overall competency. And it proved out.

BF is a good position football coach, but was in an untenable situation that he certainly was a part of - but also KF and GB.

When you have to start explaining everything ad nauseum, year after year, there is something inherently wrong and the situation is destined to fail.

BF simply didn't have the high football IQ he hoped to have developed, and ultimately failed as a leader.

It happens. And so BF has to take a step back and move on.

The three men listed above are proven leaders and very well respected in football circles.

Each of the three are MORE than competent and capable to lead the Iowa offense in a proficient fashion.

Chryst is currently at Texas. Philbin is at Ohio State. Ludwig is at Utah.

Iowa will be better for this.

JMO
Agree completely. We'll said 👏

Reactions: Stoopsbrother

So, we have 5 guys in the portal, but have no scholarships to offer. How is that possible. Does Iowa allow people to come back to the team? If not, there should be a few scholarships available. That statement alone would make me believe these guys have no idea of which they speak even though it's their job to know otherwise.

Why would anybody listen to Kakert? I learned here yesterday that he couldn't possibly know anything about Iowa Football.

I don't think OSU would shell out the most money they ever spent for an analyst on a washed up coach.
I'm not saying he is washed up, but there is a personal relationship with Brian Hartline as he coached him with the Dolphins. It wasn't a blind hire. Networking is key in the coaching world, as it is in the real world.

As it is at Iowa. Nobody here would be talking about Phil Parker if not for his time at Iowa. For example, nobody is talking about Scott Linehan..an offense analyst for Missouri. he is a former NFL head coach and college OC with a better resume than Phil.

So, we have 5 guys in the portal, but have no scholarships to offer. How is that possible. Does Iowa allow people to come back to the team? If not, there should be a few scholarships available. That statement alone would make me believe these guys have no idea of which they speak even though it's their job to know otherwise.
Huh? We also already have 2024 commits that will occupy spots that potentially were for Seniors that may decide to come back.

Meet the new boss.

Same as the old boss.

aint they hot george harrison GIF

Reactions: TDJ7
I sure as hell hope they’re looking at QBs. If not the OC talk doesn’t mean crap IMO.
We have Glass Joe and Tweedledee and some other kid that won’t play because his side burns are too long or something equally stupid and out of touch. That’s our QB room.
Until Kirk stops the high school favoritism/‘doin it the right way’ bullshit, nothing is changing… barring some huge talent upgrade at QB. And WR and OL
No QB until OC arrives.

He might be bringing one with him. Also might be bringing other coaches along with him as part of the deal.

But everyone just spaz out because they know better. 😆 🤣 😂 😹

No QB until OC arrives.

He might be bringing one with him. Also might be bringing other coaches along with him as part of the deal.

But everyone just spaz out because they know better. 😆 🤣 😂 😹
They did say there is a chance any new OC may want to bring someone else along in terms of coaches, or they could also do a little shuffle internally once new OC is in. Both felt they definitely need a dedicated QB coach. I think most on here would concur with that.

Why would anybody listen to Kakert? I learned here yesterday that he couldn't possibly know anything about Iowa Football.
Honestly…why would you want to revisit this topic when it was so clearly proven that you don’t have the slightest idea what you’re talking about?

Reactions: doughuddl2
I’d be very very surprised if we got Ludwig. Why would he make a lateral move? Is there some weird Iowa connection that would move the needle? I’d guess it’s Chryst at this point since his son(?) is on the staff

I’d be very very surprised if we got Ludwig. Why would he make a lateral move? Is there some weird Iowa connection that would move the needle? I’d guess it’s Chryst at this point since his son(?) is on the staff
Assistant Head Coach wouldn't be a lateral move.

Ludwig’s son played at Iowa under Ferentz.

Assistant Head Coach wouldn't be a lateral move.
The one thing I can think that would pull Ludwig over is being part of the B1G rather than the Big XII.

B1G and SEC are going to dominate college football and CFP for years to come. Big XII will be an also-ran.

Andy has left Utah and Whittingham before, following Utah's undefeated '08 season (13-0), and promptly went to Cal (09-10). Then San Diego State (11-12). Then Wisconsin (13-14). Then Vanderbilt (15-18). Went back to Utah in 2019.

It's not like he's never had a wandering eye, which could actually be a reason for KF to have second thoughts.

Last edited:
Was it? You guys are truly unbelievable. Honestly.
A recap: you swore up and down that Brad Heinrichs couldn’t possibly know more about what was going on with Iowa football than Kakert. Then you were told Kakert uses Heinrichs as a source because Heinrichs knows so much more about Iowa football and you suddenly didn’t have anything to say.

A recap: you swore up and down that Brad Heinrichs couldn’t possibly know more about what was going on with Iowa football than Kakert. Then you were told Kakert uses Heinrichs as a source because Heinrichs knows so much more about Iowa football and you suddenly didn’t have anything to say.
A recap...you're making things up. Your first sentence is kind of dramatic. Your second sentence? What?? Who said that? I just went back and looked from my last post and Gus is Dead posted something stupid like he generally does - which I didn't see until now. Who posted that Kakert said that Brad knows more than him?

If you guys actually think that Kirk tells Brad about his offense, and you want me to disbelieve what has been discussed on these boards for 20+ by Tom and Blair, not to mention what WE KNOW about Kirk's offense, I can't help you.

Again, your logic tells you that some new on the scene NIL guy is being told significant information by KIRK FERENTZ about the ins and out of his program? And you believe all this? Suddenly every thing that people who have been around the football team, covering them for decades is nonsense because of what Brad says?

This is what you're going with? I am quite POSITIVE reporters talk to Brad about his insights. I'm talking over 2 decades compared to a year. Use. Logic. I don't remember your dozens of posts over the years you have been on here discrediting Tom and Blair.

Some of you seem to revere this guy like many did Gasser.

First two don’t do much for me … those seem like the “safe” hires…

Kirk needs to shake it up beyond these two older gents … I know either is a step up from BF … however, I could exceed BF’s efforts

If you want an OC that is young and can recruit then a call to Ryan Grubb should be in the cards then add head coach in waiting to the title/Associate Head Coach/OC.
I will LOL at the thought of this happening for the umpteenth time. No way KF hires a young, sought-after OC as head coach in waiting to overshadow him for the last year or two of his career.

• Sad
Reactions: coorsoriginal02
A recap...you're making things up. Your first sentence is kind of dramatic. Your second sentence? What?? Who said that? I just went back and looked from my last post and Gus is Dead posted something stupid like he generally does - which I didn't see until now. Who posted that Kakert said that Brad knows more than him?

If you guys actually think that Kirk tells Brad about his offense, and you want me to disbelieve what has been discussed on these boards for 20+ by Tom and Blair, not to mention what WE KNOW about Kirk's offense, I can't help you.

Again, your logic tells you that some new on the scene NIL guy is being told significant information by KIRK FERENTZ about the ins and out of his program? And you believe all this? Suddenly every thing that people who have been around the football team, covering them for decades is nonsense because of what Brad says?

This is what you're going with? I am quite POSITIVE reporters talk to Brad about his insights. I'm talking over 2 decades compared to a year. Use. Logic. I don't remember your dozens of posts over the years you have been on here discrediting Tom and Blair.

Some of you seem to revere this guy like many did Gasser.
The funniest part of this is that you think you’re qualified to talk about what Brad Heinrichs does or doesn’t know when you admitted you didn’t know who he was a month ago—despite the fact that Heinrichs has been an integral part of Iowa Hawkeyes sports on the inside for over a year and a half.

The second funniest thing is that you think someone outside an organization who covers them as a journalist knows more about that organization than someone who works closely with the players and coaches on an ongoing basis to better the future of said organization. It’s like saying a journalist who has been covering a tech company for 20 years know more about what’s going on inside the company today than someone who’s been a vice president for only 20 months. It’s laughably naive,

You like the information Tom Kakert provides. That’s great. But to say he knows more about what’s going on than someone who the program relies on for talent acquisition and retention means you haven’t been paying close enough attention for anyone to take your opinions seriously.

I'd be happy with either Ludwig or Chryst but I'd also like to know what other NFL analysts have been/are in the mix

The funniest part of this is that you think you’re qualified to talk about what Brad Heinrichs does or doesn’t know when you admitted you didn’t know who he was a month ago—despite the fact that Heinrichs has been an integral part of Iowa Hawkeyes sports on the inside for over a year and a half.

The second funniest thing is that you think someone outside an organization who covers them as a journalist knows more about that organization than someone who works closely with the players and coaches on an ongoing basis to better the future of said organization. It’s like saying a journalist who has been covering a tech company for 20 years know more about what’s going on inside the company today than someone who’s been a vice president for only 20 months. It’s laughably naive,

You like the information Tom Kakert provides. That’s great. But to say he knows more about what’s going on than someone who the program relies on for talent acquisition and retention means you haven’t been paying close enough attention for anyone to take your opinions seriously.
Brad clearly has great access and good information, but you've still got to take what he has to say with a grain of salt. Through his work with the Swarm, Brad has a vested interest in both building hype around the Hawkeye program, and in staying in the good graces of Kirk Ferentz. That's probably true for the Kakert, Leistikow, Dochterman, and the guys on the beat as well, but not nearly to the same degree. I think there's a degree to which Brad is almost acting as a PR agent for the Hawkeye football team. Nothing wrong with that, and I appreciate the things he has to say. But I also appreciate the things being said by some of those guys who have been on the beat for quite a few years.

This doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing, or a this-versus-that situation. I think it's good to listen to all these guys and form your own conclusions.

Here’s a video for people like @Tom Paris who clearly don’t understand Brad Heinrichs’ role in Iowa football.

Some highlights of the 40 minutes I’ve watched so far:

* When players are interested in transferring to Iowa, they reach out to Brad because Brad is the money guy and because he regularly talks with the staff about personnel needs.

* When current Iowa players are thinking about transferring, they consult with Brad before making a decision because Brad knows what kind of money can be offered.

* Beth Goetz regularly asks Brad what SHE can do for him. As an aside, in the past she’s gone out of her way to praise Brad by name for the work he’s done in conjunction with the athletic department. Additionally, when Brad held a press conference a few months ago, Kirk Ferentz, Lisa Bluder and Fran McCaffery attended. That only happens when someone is genuinely integral to the athletic department’s success.

With the central role NIL plays in college sports these days, guys like Brad are at the heart of personnel movement. It’s hilarious to me that someone would think that Kakert knows more than Brad when Kakert gets a whole lot of the information he does know FROM Brad. As others have pointed out, Brad used to post definitive insider information on this very board before moving over to On3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT