ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris VP pick thread

You also have Constitutional Amendment 4 on the ballot which guarantees a right to an abortion based on fetal viability (around 24 weeks) instead of the very strict 6 week ban that DeSantis signed.

We know that similar measures won approval by substantial margins in red states (KS, OH, e.g) after Roe was overturned. This measure will likely drive many more voters to the polls, including pro-abortion supporters newly registered because of this issue.
I’m voting for A-4 and I’m a Republican.

A
I’m voting for A-4 and I’m a Republican.
I believe I know your intentions but the big question is this: how many of your fellow FL Republican Party members voting in favor of A4 (together with similar moderately conservative Independents) cross over to vote for Harris? Do you have a feel for how this amendment affects the presidential contest?

LOL, a gay Secretary of State.

That'll work out well when negotiating with the Muslim world.
Same thing has been said about women and Jews in that role. They can deal with it.

137921f7-227a-45e3-adee-d9a4160a0e07_text.gif

?

How does he undermine her?

He is my top choice.
Just a thought of mine. I like him but once upon a time the Mayor of South Bend was more popular in the party than the DA/SENATOR from LIBERAL VALHALLA CALIFORNIA.

Does she look less popular by having a way way way more popular VP?

• Haha
Reactions: nu2u
Just a thought of mine. I like him but once upon a time the Mayor of South Bend was more popular in the party than the DA/SENATOR from LIBERAL VALHALLA CALIFORNIA.

Does she look less popular by having a way way way more popular VP?
I don’t see it. I don’t see how likability could be a negative.

Pritzker would be good, but the knock on him is his business records can’t be vetted in time. I do t know about that, you’d think the republicans in Illinois would have found anything troubling by now.

Pennsylvania is too important.

Gotta be Shapiro.
I heard some great analysis on NPR a few days ago that a solid VP is only worth about .5 a point in their home state in a presidential election. Where a good VP comes into play is against a weak VP, and in providing balance. With Trump being so old, and in such poor health the issue of Vance being so weird will come into play if contrasted by a solid VP candidate.

Hey superlibs of this board I really like Pete but does he maybe undermine her as VP if he's the pick?

Possibly but not on purpose. There is a line of thinking that is USUALLY followed that you don't want to pick a VP who can upstage you in front of the media. (As in the media and base pays more attention to the VP than the pres). So I think Pete didn't have much of a chance because of that.

Reactions: ButtersHawk
LOL, a gay Secretary of State.

That'll work out well when negotiating with the Muslim world.

Why should we let them decide who we pick as a secretary of state? They also have problems with women and people who eat pork.

There was a time that republicans didn't like to kowtow to these people. Now they want to let them decide who we pick as our secretary of state.

Pritzker would be good, but the knock on him is his business records can’t be vetted in time. I do t know about that, you’d think the republicans in Illinois would have found anything troubling by now.
If she wants to tack to the middle, Pritzker isn't the way to go.

She will probably pick Shapiro but part of me doesn't wonder if she wouldn't be better off with someone who could have a good national appeal like Kelly would. His history before getting into politics would be a huge plus.

Only negative I see is that I don't know how much experience he has sparing on national TV. He seems to have been a senator that has been more buckle down and do his job than someone who makes the national TV rounds.

Going up against someone like JD Vance you want to make sure you have someone who can spar on TV to take advantage.

She is picking Shapiro. They plan to campaign together early next week in Philly.

It could or couldn't be Shapiro. I don't dispute that. But if you think just cause the first one is in Philly it means it's him, it shows low critical thinking. Do you really think Harris is that slow to make it that obvious for a week when it was clear they had yet to move to the final stages?

And bettors have been wrong before. Remember Doug at the top of vp for weeks weeks and weeks?

It could or couldn't be Shapiro. I don't dispute that. But if you think just cause the first one is in Philly it means it's him, it shows low critical thinking. Do you really think Harris is that slow to make it that obvious for a week when it was clear they had yet to move to the final stages?

And bettors have been wrong before. Remember Doug at the top of vp for weeks weeks and weeks?

Josh Shapiro, Potential Harris V.P. Pick, Cancels Weekend Fund-Raisers​

The Pennsylvania governor had been scheduled to headline events in the Hamptons for his own campaign committee. Vice President Kamala Harris is expected to announce her running mate selection by Tuesday.

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, one of the front-runners to be Vice President Kamala Harris’s running mate, has abruptly canceled a three-event fund-raising swing through the Hamptons just days before Ms. Harris is expected to make her selection.

Mr. Shapiro had been expected to headline three different events throughout the wealthy New York island towns, according to invitations seen by the Times. But gradually, throughout Wednesday, hosts were informed that Mr. Shapiro would no longer take part, according to two people briefed on the matter. The Shapiro team had hoped the cancellation would not be made public until later in the week, but the news began to get out on Thursday, the two people said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the change publicly.

“The governor’s trip was planned several weeks ago and included several fund-raisers for his own campaign committee,” said Manuel Bonder, a spokesman for Gov. Shapiro. “His schedule has changed, and he is no longer traveling to the Hamptons this weekend.”
It is not clear that Mr. Shapiro's scheduling change says anything about his standing in the vice-presidential sweepstakes. The Harris campaign has recommended that several of its top vice-presidential contenders limit their events before a decision that is expected early next week. Gov. Andy Beshear of Kentucky has also canceled some events on the advice of the campaign.

Still, it is unclear why precisely the trip was canceled. Michael Kempner, who was supposed to host one of the events for Mr. Shapiro’s campaign committee, said he had been told that Mr. Shapiro needed to be with his family in Pennsylvania. Another event was a “summer soiree” expected to be held for a liberal advocacy organization called the Next 50, where Mr. Shapiro was marketed as a “special guest.”

“Many are speculating that this is a sign he will be the vice president,” Mr. Kempner wrote in a note to his network announcing the cancellation, which was seen by The New York Times. “While this has not been confirmed, I continue to believe he is the best person for the job.”

Whatever the reason, the quieter schedule will prevent Mr. Shapiro from drawing additional media speculation over the weekend about his chances of being Ms. Harris’s pick.

Other vice-presidential hopefuls are going ahead with fund-raising on behalf of the Harris ticket. Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota is scheduled to headline a fund-raiser for the Harris campaign in Minneapolis on Monday evening, and Mr. Beshear is slated to appear at an event in Chicago, according to invitations reviewed by The Times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
She is picking Shapiro. They plan to campaign together early next week in Philly.
It might be Shapiro, or it might not be. Campaigning in a critical Blue Wall state and generating huge free media coverage in a state with a lot of electoral college votes is important. Shapiro will be there even if he isn’t the pick. Rumor has it the campaign will then jet off to Wisconsin, Nevada, Arizona, NC, and Georgia in a multi state blitz. . All states that are in play and part of the calculus.

What is wrong with Pritzker?

Just as an outsider, I wouldn't want him because he looks like a movie mob boss. Could be an awesome guy who wouldn't hurt a fly. But his looks don't shout "trust me". Also being governor of Illinois doesn't shout "trust me" either. Long history of corruption in that office.

Eh optics are everything and having two on the ticket from the most liberal states isn’t the way to go IMO.
He’s fiscally serious, and seems moderate and pragmatic. It isn’t like posters like bOtH sIDeS won’t paint any VP as a wild eyed Lib.
The point is would Pritzker be able to stand next to Vance and look like an experienced executive / administrator who could lead if needed?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT