ADVERTISEMENT

Kamala Harris VP pick thread

I heard some great analysis on NPR a few days ago that a solid VP is only worth about .5 a point in their home state in a presidential election. Where a good VP comes into play is against a weak VP, and in providing balance. With Trump being so old, and in such poor health the issue of Vance being so weird will come into play if contrasted by a solid VP candidate.
Yes. Vance is very weird. They are all very weird. 😉

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
A
Really? I think he's much more likely to push PA and the rust belt into Harris' corner. If so it's game over.
obviously a huge boost to PA.

Like Harris, Shapiro is a pro-choice activist which, in conjunction with Constitutional Amendment 4 on the ballot gives a big boost to campaign for Dem/Independent turnout. A4 is widely popular; turnout is key.

Shapiro is also strongly pro-Israel which could help with Florida’s 700k Jewish residents who want a balance to Harris (even though her views vis-a-vis Israel are largely compatible).

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
A

obviously a huge boost to PA.

Like Harris, Shapiro is a pro-choice activist which, in conjunction with Amendment 4, gives a big boost to campaign for Dem/Independent turnout. A4 is widely popular; turnout is key.

Shapiro is also strongly pro-Israel which could help with Florida’s 700k Jewish residents who want a balance to Harris (even though her views vis-a-vis Israel are largely compatible).
I don’t think Florida matters. It's a red state that won't factor into the election.

Reactions: artradley
She needs a democrat that isn't a threat to her own cult of personality. The VP can't be more likeable than her.

That's why Trump picked whitebread Pence and Obama picked Joe. Capable career politicians, but no threat on the charisma scale.

You don't want your VP to be more popular than you.

A boring VP is insurance against assassination.

For Kamala, I can't think of anyone who fits that bill.
WTF

Reactions: nu2u
And the announcement is being made in Philly next week.

Seems like a damn good choice.

Vance is gonna get his ass beat badly in any debate.
I don't think the location has anything to do with the choice but still my bet is on Shapiro as well. PA is very important and Shapiro is adored there.

Reactions: MitchLL
I think he’s got Secretary of State or chief of staff written all over him. He’s top of my list but it’s not this cycle.
Pete is very smart but I don't think his expertise lends itself to Secretary of State just yet. Chief of Staff, might be a good fit. I could see him trying out Sec of Education or Sec of the Treasury as well.

Are ALL politicians scum? It appears so. Stabbed 20 times; some of those in the back and some occurring post mortem. Clearly a suicide. :oops:

Seth Williams was Philadelphia’s district attorney when Ellen was found stabbed inside her Manayunk apartment on Jan. 26, 2011. The Greenberg family, whipsawed by changed rulings on Ellen’s manner of her death, eventually sought an attorney of their own to dig into what had happened.

That lawyer was Larry Krasner. He’d go from looking into the case from the outside for Joshua and Sandee Greenberg to being elected Philadelphia’s DA in November 2017.

Because of the conflict of interest created by his private work for the Greenbergs, the new DA handed Ellen’s case and all the government files that Philadelphia police, prosecutors and medical examiner officials had generated on it over to the state attorney general’s office.

Heading that office at the time was Josh Shapiro, who’d become governor five years later.

The Greenbergs have little good to say about Shapiro’s four-plus years of handling their daughter’s case. They accuse him and his lieutenants of “sitting on” the case the entire time.

A statement released by the attorney general’s office in 2022 defended their work. It says the office under Shapiro conducted what it called an “exhaustive review,” including “new forensic analysis,” over “four years of work.”

Despite this, the office said it “regretted” those efforts could not bring more closure. Then, citing the “appearance of a conflict of interest,” the AG’s office washed its hands of the matter and returned the case to Philadelphia.

He is Pro-Israel which many of the young voters do not like. So, he would be a bad pick if you want to encourage young voters to vote.
Pro fracking, pro vouchers, pro genocide.

Is he in the right party?

Then again, think of all the AIPAC money coming in. Unless, of course they are going for Netanyhu's choice: Trump.

Reactions: WDSMHAWK
So, who is your pick out of those 3? Either two but Shapiro for me. Walz first.

Sarcastic Not Funny GIF

Reactions: ParkerHawk
Harris isn't running on Shapiro's policies.
Sure, but it's still a statement of what she and the party find acceptable.

Last week some were saying that Kamala replacing Biden might pacify the anti-genocide and Muslim wings of the party. But Shapiro's positions may erode those gains.

Kamala herself has flip-flopped on fracking. It's a bad look to have 2 frackers on the ticket.

Last week some were saying that Kamala replacing Biden might pacify the anti-genocide and Muslim wings of the party. But Shapiro's positions may erode those gains.

Kamala herself has flip-flopped on fracking. It's a bad look to have 2 frackers on the ticket.
And 2 flip floppers on the ticket. The moment Kamala is elected she will flip and flop back to against fracking.

Cult of personality = it’s our weakest point, so let’s charge Democrats with the same thing. Plausibility is no longer a requirement when conservatives make these kinds of statements. They just say shit that makes them feel good.

Reactions: lucas80
Shapiro might be trending down. The paper he wrote in college about the Palestinians is 20+ years old, but there isn’t time to massage it into a more palatable form to make the progressives happy. Unless AOC and Sanders come out for him immediately.
I like Walz, but he’d have to be introduced. Kelly seems like a solid pick.

Regardless of political position of the choices this election is entirely about getting Trump out of politics permanently.

You go with the moderate candidate that will attract more independents. You don’t worry about the ultra small Hamas loving wing of the Democratic Party. They are a nit, and a ridiculous one at that.

Any of these candidates will be great. Fight for a progressive, if that’s your thing, in 2028.

Josh Shapiro, Potential Harris V.P. Pick, Cancels Weekend Fund-Raisers​

The Pennsylvania governor had been scheduled to headline events in the Hamptons for his own campaign committee. Vice President Kamala Harris is expected to announce her running mate selection by Tuesday.

Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro, one of the front-runners to be Vice President Kamala Harris’s running mate, has abruptly canceled a three-event fund-raising swing through the Hamptons just days before Ms. Harris is expected to make her selection.

Mr. Shapiro had been expected to headline three different events throughout the wealthy New York island towns, according to invitations seen by the Times. But gradually, throughout Wednesday, hosts were informed that Mr. Shapiro would no longer take part, according to two people briefed on the matter. The Shapiro team had hoped the cancellation would not be made public until later in the week, but the news began to get out on Thursday, the two people said, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the change publicly.

“The governor’s trip was planned several weeks ago and included several fund-raisers for his own campaign committee,” said Manuel Bonder, a spokesman for Gov. Shapiro. “His schedule has changed, and he is no longer traveling to the Hamptons this weekend.”
It is not clear that Mr. Shapiro's scheduling change says anything about his standing in the vice-presidential sweepstakes. The Harris campaign has recommended that several of its top vice-presidential contenders limit their events before a decision that is expected early next week. Gov. Andy Beshear of Kentucky has also canceled some events on the advice of the campaign.

Still, it is unclear why precisely the trip was canceled. Michael Kempner, who was supposed to host one of the events for Mr. Shapiro’s campaign committee, said he had been told that Mr. Shapiro needed to be with his family in Pennsylvania. Another event was a “summer soiree” expected to be held for a liberal advocacy organization called the Next 50, where Mr. Shapiro was marketed as a “special guest.”

“Many are speculating that this is a sign he will be the vice president,” Mr. Kempner wrote in a note to his network announcing the cancellation, which was seen by The New York Times. “While this has not been confirmed, I continue to believe he is the best person for the job.”

Whatever the reason, the quieter schedule will prevent Mr. Shapiro from drawing additional media speculation over the weekend about his chances of being Ms. Harris’s pick.

Other vice-presidential hopefuls are going ahead with fund-raising on behalf of the Harris ticket. Gov. Tim Walz of Minnesota is scheduled to headline a fund-raiser for the Harris campaign in Minneapolis on Monday evening, and Mr. Beshear is slated to appear at an event in Chicago, according to invitations reviewed by The Times.

So you want to apologize to me now or later?

So you want to apologize to me now or later?

No need to apologize. Harris decided that Shapiro wasn't radical enough.

You should have followed my advice and bet big. Apparently, you didn't have enough conviction.

Walz is a bad pick IMO. Needed a more moderate candidate to balance out the ticket, and Republicans are going to crush Harris and Walz for their response to the George Floyd riots.

Reactions: Sullivan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT