ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is talking about CJ again

Correct still ****ing brutal being a men hoops fan. I love them to my own peril. ****

I really don't think it's that bad. If he comes back, great, but if he leaves, I'm ok with it. I feel the same way about Connor too. I'd be ok if he decided to play baseball. It probably going to be a rough year but I'd like to see what can happen with the young guys.

Maybe the kid wants to play on a team that can make noise in March, realizing Fran coached teams have no history of doing that.

Honestly I don't blame CJ. It's a better fit for him at Kentucky than Iowa. He can do what he's best at, shoot 3's. Without Garza, JW, and JBo, CJ just won't be that open.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
I really don't think it's that bad. If he comes back, great, but if he leaves, I'm ok with it. I feel the same way about Connor too. I'd be ok if he decided to play baseball. It probably going to be a rough year but I'd like to see what can happen with the young guys.
It's a bad look if it happens. Fran his only major offer and families long time friends and he isn't in the portal.

CJ must be pissed at Fran to leave Iowa hanging out to dry like this, assuming the rumors are true. I hope that Fran is able to convince somebody in the portal to come in and start at SG with an opportunity for heavy minutes. There’s nobody to be loyal to since the oldest guards (aside from Connor I guess) are true sophomores who need a lot of development from what we’ve seen

Otherwise, next year will be about watching the new-look Hawkeyes (also assuming that Weezy goes), finding bright moments from individual players, and developing for the future, while taking quite a few lumps along the way. Tough to envision making the tournament or more than about seven conference wins with the current squad, though I genuinely believe that they have the athleticism and length to give teams fits and steal some games that they aren’t favored in

Not gonna lie, his reasons for transferring are his own. It’s his career/life/etc. so he needs to consider what’s best. There are a number of reasons why transferring to UK could be smart.

But I’m not going to lie. Allowed himself to get recruited midseason while the team was going for school history. That is 100% pure grade A snake behavior. That is shameful.

At the end of the day, he is an extremely underrated player because of his injury history. He could’ve been a 1st/2nd team all B1G player for sure. Could honestly see him being one of the best players on UK next year. Will be able to parlay that into a nice pro career.

But I dare you to look Luka in the eye when you next meet. Snake.

If true, I don't blame CJ for transferring. The way he's handled it, sure. But, the ability to play for a blue blood like Kentucky, hard to fault the kid.

Now, we just need Weezy to come back and JBo to decide to play next year and it won't hurt so bad.

CJF is a great player and HUGELY needed next season despite what anyone in this thread is saying. Bright future barring injuries.

We'll miss his 7 points per game and constant injuries
Iowa was pretty night and day last year with CJ playing versus him being out, and our worst stretch of the season coincided with his injury. I think that this is a huge loss, especially in the face of losing three other starters and arguably our best bench player in Nunge (for sure top 2 along with Keegan)

No breaking of the rules here. How can they even talk if he’s not in the portal?
They can’t if CJ isn’t in the transfer portal.
There’s a link to some sort of FAQ surrounding the transfer portal. Specifically check out questions 9, 10, and 11. The way it reads, if there is an investigation (and I’d have to imagine that there will be), CJ could end up being ineligible to suit up for Kentucky

edit: it says recruiting by both the institution itself and its representatives of athletic interests. That’s a pretty vague term, but my interpretation would be anybody recruiting on behalf of Kentucky, which would include high school/AAU coaches mentioned by Bucky above

This is all the more reason Fran needs to take the transfer portal very seriously. Guys are going to leave. If you don't utilize the portal to keep your team above water your program is going to sink. Many on here think we need to ride with the guys we have and be loyal to them. College basketball is a changing world Fran needs to adapt to it. If he is not careful he could have a bottom 5 team in the B1G next year. With the NCAA ruling on transfers he could start seeing 1-2 guys leave every year. Better be ready to replace them with experienced guys.

Last edited:
Iowa was pretty night and day last year with CJ playing versus him being out, and our worst stretch of the season coincided with his injury. I think that this is a huge loss, especially in the face of losing three other starters and arguably our best bench player in Nunge (for sure top 2 along with Keegan)

Iowa's defense was better without cj

Iowa's defense was better without cj
Iowa lost to Indiana twice, Ohio State, and Illinois without Fredrick, and beat MSU by 6 in a game where he was clearly ailing. I realize that statistics aren’t favorable to CJ defensively, but it’s tough to argue that the team wasn’t substantially better when he played

Reactions: slipHawk
Big loss, but it was also hard to depend on him with his injuries. I can’t imagine this bodes well for Wieskamp coming back.

I can't see Wieskamp coming back to a team that will struggle to compete. His stock is probably as high as it will go right now. Plus rumor even before season ended was him and the wife are ready for the next chapter in life even if its international pro ball.

I think this is also what CJ is thinking. He knows more than what we know as fans. He could be thinking Iowa isn't in a great position to compete next year. He wants to play for a team that will compete at a high level but also allow him to play his game at his own comfort level. I'm guessing he knows Wieskamp is leaving and that Iowa likely isn't bringing in any key players via transfer.

Maybe Kentucky was always his dream school and he grew up a fan and for all I know all of his family are fans of Kentucky. But it hurts that he would already have one foot out the door midway through a great season when all of the talk was how tight all the rest of the team was.

And supposedly he and his family were tight with Fran and judging by Patrick’s tweets I can only guess that they had all questioned him about these rumors and he must have been denying them until today.

Well... that stinks but hey, it’s CJ’s career. Iowa’s roster is going to look a heck of a lot different next year... Ugh

I can't see Wieskamp coming back to a team that will struggle to compete. His stock is probably as high as it will go right now. Plus rumor even before season ended was him and the wife are ready for the next chapter in life even if its international pro ball.

I think this is also what CJ is thinking. He knows more than what we know as fans. He could be thinking Iowa isn't in a great position to compete next year. He wants to play for a team that will compete at a high level but also allow him to play his game at his own comfort level. I'm guessing he knows Wieskamp is leaving and that Iowa likely isn't bringing in any key players via transfer.
I agree with your logic and everything you say makes sense and everyone needs to do what’s in their own best interest for their life and career. But man we still need the tiniest bit of loyalty in life. It’s not like he was playing for a mid-major and finally got the chance to play in a major conference. He was a starter on a 2 seed playing for the coach that took a chance on him out of high school. And we would have had a really good chance at a return trip to the tourney if everyone except Weiskamp came back.

Honestly I don't blame CJ. It's a better fit for him at Kentucky than Iowa. He can do what he's best at, shoot 3's. Without Garza, JW, and JBo, CJ just won't be that open.
He was almost never open on that team that had no one to drive the ball.

He'd be open allot more often playing with guys who can get the ball in the lane next year.

He'll be an afterthought at UK.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
CJ must be pissed at Fran to leave Iowa hanging out to dry like this, assuming the rumors are true. I hope that Fran is able to convince somebody in the portal to come in and start at SG with an opportunity for heavy minutes. There’s nobody to be loyal to since the oldest guards (aside from Connor I guess) are true sophomores who need a lot of development from what we’ve seen

Otherwise, next year will be about watching the new-look Hawkeyes (also assuming that Weezy goes), finding bright moments from individual players, and developing for the future, while taking quite a few lumps along the way. Tough to envision making the tournament or more than about seven conference wins with the current squad, though I genuinely believe that they have the athleticism and length to give teams fits and steal some games that they aren’t favored in
CJ is a better shooter than Perkins but other than that I'm not sure there's anything else he's better at.

Head to head Tony would lock CJ up.

If this is true and this was being worked out months ago, I hope there are some sanctions for Kentucky for tampering.

I’m generally an advocate for players. If CJ thinks this is his best move, then I guess so be it. If he can’t stay healthy, he’ll be an afterthought anywhere. I always find it odd when a guy transfers out of a place where he’s lined up for big minutes in a power conference.

If true, I don't blame CJ for transferring. The way he's handled it, sure. But, the ability to play for a blue blood like Kentucky, hard to fault the kid.

Now, we just need Weezy to come back and JBo to decide to play next year and it won't hurt so bad.

CJF is a great player and HUGELY needed next season despite what anyone in this thread is saying. Bright future barring injuries.

Step down for CJ. Didn't want him anyway

I agree with your logic and everything you say makes sense and everyone needs to do what’s in their own best interest for their life and career. But man we still need the tiniest bit of loyalty in life. It’s not like he was playing for a mid-major and finally got the chance to play in a major conference. He was a starter on a 2 seed playing for the coach that took a chance on him out of high school. And we would have had a really good chance at a return trip to the tourney if everyone except Weiskamp came back.

I agree with the loyalty comment. Unfortunately we are seeing a weakening in this country of such traits. I've noticed it in the business world you see it in kids these days and especially in the next generation of workers under the age of 30. Loyalty, duty, honor, integrity, service to others are starting to be things of the past sadly. Its all about me now to a lot of people.

In basketball expect to see a lot of transfers now for teams. Especially now that you can transfer once without having to sit out. There will be teams every year that rebuild off of veteran transfer players. Guarentee you will see these teams next year in the Final 4 that have 1-2 transfers starting for them. Teams like Duke and Kentucky will be able to pull in 5 star players every year along with an impact veteran transfer or 2 or 3 to help balance their teams out.

The one thing that could make me less optimistic about next season would be Bohannon coming back.

If Wieskamp comes back great but I want to see Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, Patrick, Keegan and Kris.

Thats a team that could play exceptional man to man defense, like nothing resembling any previous Fran team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT