ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is talking about CJ again

CJ is a better shooter than Perkins but other than that I'm not sure there's anything else he's better at.

Head to head Tony would lock CJ up.
I wasn’t really comparing the two. More so just pointing out that we are going to miss our Honorable Mention all Big Ten, nearly 50% three point shooter, and that the culmination of these departures is going to result in a substantial step down next year

I had wished Nunge and the others leaving well because it made sense for them and they left on good terms from all we've heard.

This CJ thing doesn't make sense considering he figured to be a big part of the team next year. It stinks, not just in the feel bad for ourselves part, but also seems underhanded and potentially tampering.

Unfortunately this seems to be the new reality of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility. The rich get richer.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Hunter is Joe Fredrick's next door neighbor and he was never referring to CJ. This was in reference to UK's incoming recruiting class

Maybe Kentucky was always his dream school and he grew up a fan and for all I know all of his family are fans of Kentucky. But it hurts that he would already have one foot out the door midway through a great season when all of the talk was how tight all the rest of the team was.

And supposedly he and his family were tight with Fran and judging by Patrick’s tweets I can only guess that they had all questioned him about these rumors and he must have been denying them until today.

I wasn’t really comparing the two. More so just pointing out that we are going to miss our Honorable Mention all Big Ten, nearly 50% three point shooter, and that the culmination of these departures is going to result in a substantial step down next year
At least to start the season.

That team that played in the tournament was really not very good.

Don't get me wrong, I think CJ would have played a much bigger role on next years version than this last years but I don't think he's better than Perkins, right now or ever again.

Im allot higher on next years squad than most. I think Keegan might be in the nba after next year.

If this has been done on the side then I hope karma takes it from here.

yeah, I am pretty sure you are not supposed to line up your next school in February or March and then enter the transfer portal in late April, and then, SURPIRSE, CJ announces he is transferring to Kentucky.

Seriously, he is in the transfer portal on April 18. How many days will it take until he signs with Kentucky?

I had wished Nunge and the others leaving well because it made sense for them and they left on good terms from all we've heard.

This CJ thing doesn't make sense considering he figured to be a big part of the team next year. It stinks, not just in the feel bad for ourselves part, but also seems underhanded and potentially tampering.

Unfortunately this seems to be the new reality of the transfer portal and immediate eligibility. The rich get richer.

And, again, during the Wed April 14 press conference (4 days ago!!!), Fran said CJ was chomping at the bit to get back in the gym.

So, unless Fran is a really good actor, then he did not see this coming.

Don't get me wrong, I think CJ would have played a much bigger role on next years version than this last years but I don't think he's better than Perkins, right now or ever again.

Im allot higher on next years squad than most. I think Keegan might be in the nba after next year.
I kind of agree.

In my MM pool we pay out to whoever drafted the “Ultimate Loser” team. That’s the team that, lost to the team, that lost to the team, etc that lost to the winner.

If UCLA had beaten Gonzaga (damn near did) & they would’ve lost to Baylor (no doubt they would have), Grand Canyon State would’ve been this year’s “Ultimate Loser.”

Grand Canyon State lost to Iowa, who lost Oregon, who lost to USC, who lost to Gonzaga, who lost to UCLA, who lost to Baylor. This would’ve been the scenario.

Georgetown ended up being the “Ultimate Loser.”

So basically Iowa beat arguably the worst team in the whole tourney. By 14 or whatever. Not a very impressive tourney showing by Iowa AT ALL.

yeah, I am pretty sure you are not supposed to line up your next school in February or March and then enter the transfer portal in late April, and then, SURPIRSE, CJ announces he is transferring to Kentucky.

Seriously, he is in the transfer portal on April 18. How many days will it take until he signs with Kentucky?
I know for a fact CJ was never recruited by any school during the season and I know for a fact that CJ never considered any other school during the season.

I know for a fact CJ was never recruited by any other school during the season and I know for a fact that CJ never considered any other school during the season

Maybe, not sure we’ve seen enough of Perkins to make that assertion. I like the potential for next year’s team too, but there’s a ton of inexperience and a lack of shooters. Iowa’s team last year wasn’t built for the tournament, but they still had the chemistry, shooting ability, player of the year, and good enough defense to get a 2 seed

If the McCaffery's are anything, they're loyal. Guys like Maishe Dailey, Cordell Pemsl, Christian Williams, Nunge, and others were given nothing but praise, thanks, and well-wishes when they decided to move on.

If they're cutting ties with him, he ****ed up bad.

I don't blame them either. There's a right way to do something like this, and a wrong way, and CJF and his family did it the WRONG way.

F u c k him. I hope he rides the pine.

The one thing that could make me less optimistic about next season would be Bohannon coming back.

If Wieskamp comes back great but I want to see Toussaint, Ulis, Perkins, Patrick, Keegan and Kris.

Thats a team that could play exceptional man to man defense, like nothing resembling any previous Fran team.
I understand your position but the lineup you put forth hasn't shown they can put big points on the board. They might well be able to but having a tenured player like JBo as an offensive weapon would be huge.

I'm talking if JBo were playing 2 guard which is his natural position. He can score but is not a PG. He's a good passer but not quick enough to create. If he was coming off screens and not asked to run the offense, he could be a big scorer.

CJF was going to be our main pure shooting weapon next season so this wouldn't be a good thing despite what I'm seeing in this thread.

Reactions: Hawkeye_Pride06
My God some people are infinitely stupid. If Perkins is better than CJ, then why couldn't he get minutes over a CJ that was playing hurt and a shell of himself?

A healthy CJ is a heck of a ball-player. How does someone go from the best defender on the team as a freshman, to a bad defender as a sophomore? How does someone go from shooting close to 50% 3balls and quite clutch, to afraid to even attempt a shot? His shot at the end of last season had no lift and didn't even look the same as his normal shot. How does someone have a sweet mid-range pull-up completely disappear from his game? It's called, the man was playing HURT. I don't know how that could be any more obvious.

Sure, without knowing personal specifics, I think this is a bullshit move by CJ. But who knows what happened. I know CJ showed a hell of a lot of loyalty signing with Iowa without a scholarship in the first place. So it's unfortunate that something has changed his mind.

But please get real people. CJ was not only better than his replacements (DUH), but his shooting was desperately needed for next season's roster. And no, Iowa's defense was at no point better without him. Please change your mind and stay, CJ. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Next season's squad could be a lot of fun with you a part of it.

To further call out the clueless, Iowa's defense will not be great next season just because there will be better athletes on the court. At no point will Iowa ever have a great defense until the coach teaches it properly. And even more importantly, until the coach values and emphasizes it

Maybe Kentucky was always his dream school and he grew up a fan and for all I know all of his family are fans of Kentucky. But it hurts that he would already have one foot out the door midway through a great season when all of the talk was how tight all the rest of the team was.

And supposedly he and his family were tight with Fran and judging by Patrick’s tweets I can only guess that they had all questioned him about these rumors and he must have been denying them until today.

Wtf, gross

He'll be an afterthought at UK.
This.

Cal can sling that snake oil like nobody else in the college game. The number of excellent players who disappear and wash out there is huge but kids still believe. Parents still believe.

Amazing really.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: CatPhight
My God some people are infinitely stupid. If Perkins is better than CJ, then why couldn't he get minutes over a CJ that was playing hurt and a shell of himself?

A healthy CJ is a heck of a ball-player. How does someone go from the best defender on the team as a freshman, to a bad defender as a sophomore? How does someone go from shooting close to 50% 3balls and quite clutch, to afraid to even attempt a shot? His shot at the end of last season had no lift and didn't even look the same as his normal shot. How does someone have a sweet mid-range pull-up completely disappear from his game? It's called, the man was playing HURT. I don't know how that could be any more obvious.

Sure, without knowing personal specifics, I think this is a bullshit move by CJ. But who knows what happened. I know CJ showed a hell of a lot of loyalty signing with Iowa without a scholarship in the first place. So it's unfortunate that something has changed his mind.

But please get real people. CJ was not only better than his replacements (DUH), but his shooting was desperately needed for next season's roster. And no, Iowa's defense was at no point better without him. Please change your mind and stay, CJ. The grass isn't always greener on the other side. Next season's squad could be a lot of fun with you a part of it.

To further call out the clueless, Iowa's defense will not be great next season just because there will be better athletes on the court. At no point will Iowa ever have a great defense until the coach teaches it properly. And even more importantly, until the coach values and emphasizes it
CJ had a scholie when he signed with Iowa. Fran told him to be patient then Christian Williams decided to transfer so that opened one up for CJ when no other school took that much interest in CJ.

Regarding CJ, great player when healthy on both ends of the court but his injuries have really hurt Iowa down the stretch the last few years. And his leaving the way he is leaving is what is wrong with college sports now with the portal. You should only get to leave and play right away if a coach leaves or some other extenuating circumstance. Otherwise, you sit a year before you can play. The NCAA and Mark Emmert as President are destroying this sport that we all love compared to the NBA.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Parlayed a walk on at Iowa to a scholarship at Kentucky. Well done.
That’s the part I don’t understand. How are you willing to walk on at iowa and then 3 years later transfer out of the program when you have been a starter every year but your redshirt year.

That’s the part I don’t understand. How are you willing to walk on at iowa and then 3 years later transfer out of the program when you have been a starter every year but your redshirt year.
It could have something to do with our defense forcing us to score 100 points per game in the tourney to get anywhere. I don't know that I'd blame anyone for wanting to leave Fran after realizing that cold reality.

Anybody think that CJ may just be realistic. I see a kid that can’t stay healthy doing what he is asked to do. He is a great shooter and could play that role incredibly well. He also has great touch when needed to drive. But he was forced on this team to be more than that and his body broke down.....repeatedly. He may just know his own body and know he can’t do what he would have to do to make Iowa good. Also may want out of what Izzo and company have made BIG basketball, bully ball

I kind of agree.

In my MM pool we pay out to whoever drafted the “Ultimate Loser” team. That’s the team that, lost to the team, that lost to the team, etc that lost to the winner.

If UCLA had beaten Gonzaga (damn near did) & they would’ve lost to Baylor (no doubt they would have), Grand Canyon State would’ve been this year’s “Ultimate Loser.”

Grand Canyon State lost to Iowa, who lost Oregon, who lost to USC, who lost to Gonzaga, who lost to UCLA, who lost to Baylor. This would’ve been the scenario.

Georgetown ended up being the “Ultimate Loser.”

So basically Iowa beat arguably the worst team in the whole tourney. By 14 or whatever. Not a very impressive tourney showing by Iowa AT ALL.

I guess I don’t quite understand this. Maybe I’m missing something, or maybe the Grand Canyon STATE part is throwing me off. I don’t know. But because Iowa beat GCU, and then lost to Oregon, who lost USC, who lost to UCLA, who lost to the national runner up. That makes GCU arguably the worst team in the tournament? That’s some serious stretch I guess.

GCU was a 15 seed, no one is claiming that they were a good team, that’s not the point of this. But arguably the worst? GTFO. There were ALL four 16 seeds all worse, easily. Two other 15s worse and a couple of 14s that were worse than GCU. GCU was arguably better than a 12 and a 13 seed. Again, I’m not claiming GCU was good or Iowa should go around bragging about beating GCU. Not my point. I haven’t heard one person, until now, say GCU was arguably the worst team in the dance.

Anybody think that CJ may just be realistic. I see a kid that can’t stay healthy doing what he is asked to do. He is a great shooter and could play that role incredibly well. He also has great touch when needed to drive. But he was forced on this team to be more than that and his body broke down.....repeatedly. He may just know his own body and know he can’t do what he would have to do to make Iowa good. Also may want out of what Izzo and company have made BIG basketball, bully ball

How you leave something reveals character

• Haha
Reactions: CatPhight
I sure hope I’m wrong but I’ve always felt that the Transfer Portal would result in the Hawkeye basketball program being similar to the Pittsburgh Pirates in MLB free agency. Really good players being snatched up by “big name” programs.

How you leave something reveals character
I admit from initial view and from some reports this doesn’t look good. Nor would I leave the Hawks, but it would have been my dream to play there. But we don’t know the story here. It also is not our business to know. If the story comes out and Fran didn’t know and he hung Iowa out to dry, I don’t like it. I also strongly agree how you leave shows character. I just have to hold judgement until/if I know more. Actually, just I just try not to pass judgement all together.

Hey at least we have Connor...FML
We are going to be bad, like bottom of the big 10 bad for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Bank of Hawk
I am trying to figure out why he’s wanting to transfer. I felt like, if healthy, he’d take all of Bohannon’s minutes. Maybe the rumor of Bohannon coming back is true? If so, I’d take Frederick over Bohannon.

Reactions: AnyOneButYou
Interesting. I mentioned the issues about this as well as what I was told by a family member a few weeks back and was crucified for my thoughts.
Lol.

A lot of Iowa fans bury their heads in the sand.

I, for one, am shocked CJ isn't chomping at the bit for another season of Connor's riveting post feeds to...no one.

I don’t get the move to Kentucky from CJs standpoint I’ll be honest. He’s going to be an 8-9 man on that team at best. Cal knows you don’t win anything of significance starting guards like CJ.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT