ADVERTISEMENT

Kids School concerts

If you video your kid for 15 minutes with your cell phone, do you really watch it later?

• I watch it and love it

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t know why I do it

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I don’t video, but sit and watch

Votes: 22 41.5%
  • I look around the entire time looking at hot moms

Votes: 23 43.4%

• Total voters

mtdew_fever

HR Heisman
Jul 14, 2004
Just got done done with a kids concert and saw countless parents videos by the whole thing on their phone.

I can't stand the parents that do this. Mostly soccer moms, but the dads that do this I want to bitchslap

Never did it. Now that my kids are getting older, every time I look through photos and videos, I wish I did.

Reactions: hawkedoff
Kids hated it and so we did also. They were more into sports.

Music and theater is great for kids that gravitate towards if. Awful for those that don’t.

Really shouldn’t be mandatory past about 5th grade.

This is true about everything. Tourists that record every minute of their visit to Disney on cell phone (and before that video camera)...when are you going to ever watch that crap? The answer is never.

Reactions: NI hawk and Chuck C
My kids grew up during the pioneer days - aka, days before cell phone video cams.

We took some videos of all their activities, but more like a few 15 sec clips. Now we have some old home movies to enjoy every once in a while.

Our granddaughters really enjoy old videos of their Dad.

Reactions: gohawks50
Just got done done with a kids concert and saw countless parents videos by the whole thing on their phone.
Invalid poll. Given choice 4, you need to allow multiple voting options. As for me, guilty of taking video of my kids during their elementary school performances, because at they age they were adorable, and I knew they had no musical talent so this was going to be it for them. It's nice to have a keepsake, and could come in handy in a decade or two to embarrass them with significant others.

Reactions: Twoooooooo
A few high quality pics is all you really need. It's fun to go back and look at what they and their friends looked like as kids when they are teenagers or adults. I know I still have some pics my parents took from when I was a kid.

We have a parent that posts all concerts that his kids are involved in on his YouTube channel. Works great as I don't have to worry about it, but can still send the link to grandparents and I can watch again when I want.

We always video a short clip of each kid to send to the grandparents who don't live close. Otherwise I just sit and watch, and I enjoy it. These chances are fleeting, gotta take advantage and enjoy...and not with a phone between me and the action.

Reactions: LuteHawk
Not having any children, I don't know about the importance from a parental aspect of attending/filming these. But I do understand why it's done. My parents never, ever attended anything extra-curricular I did - and that's the sole reason why I stopped doing them. Yet I lament to this day that I have no record whatsoever of anything I did sports or otherwise. No Polaroid, no flyer...nothing.

That sucks.

As a result, I go and watch some of these events involving my school bus kids because they greatly appreciate it. I keep up on the events via the online calendar, and try to make every one I can. They're short, rarely longer than an hour, so no biggie there. It also gives me a chance to chat with their parents and from a practical job standpoint, it also helps grease the wheels with managing them on the bus.

The rehearsal process, the time they've invested - some of these, they've put in months and months of work into them and that wears on them. They just want some affirmation that someone actually does appreciate their efforts, that's all.

Me personally, I get a kick out of going. No, I'm not filming or anything. But the next day on the bus I let them know no matter what they did great and it was fun to attend - just like any parent should.

I got a email with the school recording of the concert today. Glad I didn’t waste my time trying to record it.

If my kid had a solo or something, I would consider recording it. But to just record the entirety of a long boring concert? No effing way.

The thing that gets me, when it comes to actual concerts or sporting events where people spend the whole or large amounts of time recording...it seems absurd to see how many people make a time and money investment on tickets and attending the event, and then spend the whole time staring at the event through a 6 inch screen. There must be thousands of clips of on Youtube of Green Day concerts recorded from the 100th row...you could just watch those whenever you want. Why would you go to a concert live, and then watch it through your phone screen.

Reactions: 1122melrose
I find myself wondering if I really need my phone before going someplace, and I leave it at home 95% of the time.
I was at the symphony last weekend, and a woman a few seats over spent half of the time texting people and sending pictures. wtf? listen to the orchestra, the BSO was literally doing a world premier that night.

Same thing goes for a baseball game. I'm there to watch the game and nothing you are going to text me is so important that it can't wait 3 hours for it to get done.

When I was a kid, the school video'd every band/orchestra/choir performance. If you wanted a copy, you had to go tell the kid in the A/V club to make a copy for you. Seemed to work fine.

Music and theater is great for kids that gravitate towards if. Awful for those that don’t.

The arts are a key part of a well rounded education.

To send a video to grandparents who live out of state
is to be commended. It helps the grandpa and grandma
stay connected with their grandchildren. Grandparents
do not want to be left out of the family circle.

Reactions: Twoooooooo

Your kids had music or theater mandatory past 5th grade? My kids have tried pretty much all the things, but music was only required in elementary school and that didn’t really go past the recorder. All 3 of mine have done band by their choice, but my oldest was way more into sports (baseball) than music. My middle is totally the music/drama kid. My youngest just started trumpet this year in 6th grade (also plays guitar by his choosing), enjoys acting and is also into baseball. We’ll see which direction he goes.

Happiest day of my life was when my last kid had their last concert.

Those things S U C K.

And parents who pretend they don't and act like they like them are lying POS.
Now that the kid's gone off to college, I miss being able to go to things that she's doing. Ours was more science competitions and things like that, but I still wish I had more opportunities to go do things like that with her. No lying...

Reactions: hawkifann
Now that the kid's gone off to college, I miss being able to go to things that she's doing. Ours was more science competitions and things like that, but I still wish I had more opportunities to go do things like that with her. No lying...
I am talking specifically about band/choir concerts. Yes, I liked seeing my kid learn how to play instruments and sing, and - in small doses - enjoyed them. I particularly liked outside-of-school recitals (which typically were shorter).

But if we are being honest, NO ONE wants to hear OTHER people's kids sing, play instruments or act as virtually none of them are particularly talented. We just tolerate it as it is what you are supposed to do from a societal standpoint :)

The worst was always "District Band" night --- when the junior high AND high school musical groups all played. Like, WTF, why should I have to sit through a bunch of out-of-tune crappy 7th graders playing instruments when my high school kid is already done?! So dumb.

Hell, I'm still triggered by it, lol.

Your kids had music or theater mandatory past 5th grade? My kids have tried pretty much all the things, but music was only required in elementary school and that didn’t really go past the recorder. All 3 of mine have done band by their choice, but my oldest was way more into sports (baseball) than music. My middle is totally the music/drama kid. My youngest just started trumpet this year in 6th grade (also plays guitar by his choosing), enjoys acting and is also into baseball. We’ll see which direction he goes.
Many states require some type of HS Fine Arts credit to graduate.

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
Many states require some type of HS Fine Arts credit to graduate.
I guess that makes sense and I haven’t really had to think about it since all my kids have chosen some music and/or drama stuff.

The arts are a key part of a well rounded education.
In your role, have you seen kids in say, 5th grade who are not interested in band, and have a terrible singing voice, who went on to play or sing in high school? I would think it should be like baseball, where kids and families either like it or they don’t, and when it is time to no longer play it is time to no longer play. I can see having art history classes to appreciate and understand art. But, I don’t like making kids do/perform art.

Not many record at concerts here, it’s very frowned upon and they mention not too at the beginning of every concert. We did have a mom live streaming some of our 6th grade girls basketball tournaments though. Some people take that shit very seriously!

In your role, have you seen kids in say, 5th grade who are not interested in band, and have a terrible singing voice, who went on to play or sing in high school? I would think it should be like baseball, where kids and families either like it or they don’t, and when it is time to no longer play it is time to no longer play. I can see having art history classes to appreciate and understand art. But, I don’t like making kids do/perform art.
There is a whole world of the arts outside performing. Just because a 12 year old has no interest or talent doesn't mean they shouldn't learn something about the arts as a HS kid.

I would never advocate forcing a kid to perform, but music and art appreciation or history are fine ways to expand and inform yourself.

Interestingly, what a kid is interested in and has an aptitude for at the age of 11 or 12 changes as they age. The last 2 male leads in the spring musical at our school were multi-sport athletes who had no interest in the arts as 5th graders.

Many of the band kids in our school are competent athletes as well and participate in the elective strength and fitness classes.
The school I taught at was small so the kids participated in everything. It was a great experience for them. I was just pointing out to Easy that some kids feel the same way about PE as he does about fine arts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT