ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk Ferentz as head coach needs to take responsibility

In this post:

Which was in reference to this:

Which was in reference to this (hint, look at the bold):

Are you still following along or should I get my son to diagram it for you? You called that bolded post "reality", even though it's quite possibly one of the more idiotic things posted on the board.

Get rewarded for not playing OSU in 2002? Iowa's average margin of victory in the B10 that season was 21.5 pts. Ohio State's was 12.1. Of the 7 common opponents, Iowa beat 4 of them by more and Ohio State beat three of them by more. Both teams had an overtime game which was won by 7 pts, PSU for Iowa and Illinois for OSU. Who knows what would have happened against Ohio State, but it's sure as hell not certain they would have won. The transitive property doesn't always work but the numbers sure as hell tell a story there.

In 2004, we did lose to Michigan head to head by 13. We also beat Ohio State 33-7 who they lost to by 16. They finished with more losses on the year and were ranked lower than Iowa in the final AP poll. If you don't want to give Iowa a share of that B10 Championship, go for it. You'd be a dumbass, but go for it.

As far as an "asterisk" next to them? I don't see any.
EP-180829827.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

825f7bdc-e7d9-4190-a623-5e35109301f5-large16x9_KirkBigTen.PNG

giphy.gif

Reactions: NorthDSMHawk
Our head coach is perfect. He is perfect for Iowa. He is a athlete builder. Iowa is an athlete builder program. We are not nor ever will be Ohio State. We will have good years and so-so years, typical of a builder program. We will beat our blue bloods sometimes, usually not. Hayden had a few top 5 ranked teams for a few years, Our head coach had Top 8 ranked teams for a few years. Recruits love our head coach, they loved Reece Morgan which is also a main reason for our adjustments, coach Morgan was awesome.... Our current staff is precision recruiting and the talent incoming is wow. We will not be the 'next' Ohio State. Coach Stoops told me that coaches around the nation love Iowa. They are smash mouth, fundamentally sound, solid staffed and University backed. Our coach has provided that. For posters to slam him for 20 years of building teams is absurd, most posters doing that have never played a single down of FB, but they are the experts. Our coach knows perfectly well our issues. He would not hesitate to remove a coach or relocate a coach if he feels it will better this team. Even his own son. With simply reviewing a few bad no calls in the MI game, we win. OM if not PI'd, it was for sure holding, neither were called, that's a game changer. Penn State beat us, give them credit. Come on people, our coach is a winner, he takes no pride in losing.

Last edited:
I did some quick scans through our schedule and records since 2016 ...

Since 2016 we are 29-16

24 of our last 29 wins came against these schools:

ISU (4 wins)
Nebraska (3)
Maryland (1)
Miami OH (2)
Rutgers (2)
Illinois (3)
Minnesota (3)
N Texas (1)
N Ill (1)
UNI (1)
Indiana (1)
Wyoming (1)
Midd Tenn State (1)

14 of our 16 losses came against these schools:

Northwestern (3 losses)
North Dakota State (1)
Wisconsin (3)
PSU (4)
Michigan State (1)
Purdue (2)

I won't argue our record has been decent ... But you also have to factor in we play in the West and the majority of our 29 wins came against programs that are rebuilding or simply aren't that good ... So, yes we are beating the teams we should beat (for the most part) ... But our 24 wins haven't been against the best competition ... I'm not bashing Iowa football or say we need to fire Kirk and Brian, etc. I just decided to look at the past few years and see who we've beat, etc. Each person can draw his/her own conclusion on if that's good enough for Iowa football ... Simply sharing some numbers ...
Looks like you researched this quite a bit. Here are the Sagarin SOS rankings since 2016 for Iowa and a few selected schools each year for comparison:

2019 (so far): 27
Bama - 28
Ohio State - 23
Wisconsin - 49
OU - 51
PSU - 64
Michigan - 76

2018: 44
Ohio State - 38
Wisonsin - 52

2017: 5
Bama - 27
Ohio State - 13
PSU - 38
Wisonsin - 47

2016: 33
Michigan - 49
PSU - 34

We're not much different.

All he says after the loss is about execution but never once as the head coach takes responsibility for lack luster offense which should be 100 percent on coaching. Must be nice to have Iowa media on his side.
He's a great guy and an awesome human being...he's also one of the greatest developers of "non-skill position" talent in football. What he's not, is a head coach at the P5 level...especially on game day. In a nutshell, he's a champion checkers player floundering in a chess league. Instead of surrounding himself will staff that will compensate for his weaknesses, he resorts to cronyism time and time again. Yes, he's has some success with that, but you can't build an entire P5 staff with your family and drinking buddies. He's sold the "8-4 is a great year for us" theme like a maestro and the weaker elements of the fan base gobble that up like hotcakes on a winter morning. He doesn't need to take responsibility for who/what he is when it's been allowed to thrive for 20 years...even encouraged.
This has got to be the most idiotic post I’ve read in the past ten years.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Our head coach is perfect. He is perfect for Iowa. He is a athlete builder. Iowa is an athlete builder program. We are not nor ever will be Ohio State. We will have good years and so-so years, typical of a builder program. We will beat our blue bloods sometimes, usually not. Hayden had a few top 5 ranked teams for a few years, Our head coach had Top 8 ranked teams for a few years. Recruits love our head coach, they loved Reece Morgan which is also a main reason for our adjustments, coach Morgan was awesome.... Our current staff is precision recruiting and the talent incoming is wow. We will not be the 'next' Ohio State. Coach Stoops told me that coaches around the nation love Iowa. They are smash mouth, fundamentally sound, solid staffed and University backed. Our coach has provided that. For posters to slam him for 20 years of building teams is absurd, most posters doing that have never played a single down of FB, but they are the experts. Our coach knows perfectly well our issues. He would not hesitate to remove a coach or relocate a coach if he feels it will better this team. Even his own son. With simply reviewing a few bad no calls in the MI game, we win. OM if not PI'd, it was for sure holding, neither were called, that's a game changer. Penn State beat us, give them credit. Come on people, our coach is a winner, he takes no pride in losing.

I couldn't just "like" this post.
LikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLike
LikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLikeLike

You must be one of IT's favorites.

In this post:

Which was in reference to this:

Which was in reference to this (hint, look at the bold):

Are you still following along or should I get my son to diagram it for you? You called that bolded post "reality", even though it's quite possibly one of the more idiotic things posted on the board.

Get rewarded for not playing OSU in 2002? Iowa's average margin of victory in the B10 that season was 21.5 pts. Ohio State's was 12.1. Of the 7 common opponents, Iowa beat 4 of them by more and Ohio State beat three of them by more. Both teams had an overtime game which was won by 7 pts, PSU for Iowa and Illinois for OSU. Who knows what would have happened against Ohio State, but it's sure as hell not certain they would have won. The transitive property doesn't always work but the numbers sure as hell tell a story there.

In 2004, we did lose to Michigan head to head by 13. We also beat Ohio State 33-7 who they lost to by 16. They finished with more losses on the year and were ranked lower than Iowa in the final AP poll. If you don't want to give Iowa a share of that B10 Championship, go for it. You'd be a dumbass, but go for it.

As far as an "asterisk" next to them? I don't see any.
EP-180829827.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

825f7bdc-e7d9-4190-a623-5e35109301f5-large16x9_KirkBigTen.PNG
Defensive? I understand. If you want to think we are a better program than we are, go ahead. We ridicule Nebraska for bragging about what happened before current players could remember, but I guess it's fine for homers like you. We are Iowa under a KF offense, I have very few expectations other than losing 5+ which is what we do almost every year and maybe every once in awhile the stars will align. The reality is today you have to earn big ten titles. That's one big reason Kirk's last one was 15 years ago (crap offense another). Cling to that if it brings you joy. The current reality is not going to be enjoyable for you. I get Iowa is your team....doesn't mean we are better than we are. Kirk may have 0, 1, or 2 bten championships if we had to to play OSU and Michigan like we would now....neither of us know. That's all I was saying. Grow up

Polar Bear? That would explain a lot

Last edited:
Where did the ASShat H-Pretenders go? Why don’t you comment on the former player’s insight into the program?

“The reality is today you have to earn big ten titles. That's one big reason Kirk's last one was 15 years ago (crap offense another).”

Just to clarify, in the last 15 years only 3 Big Ten teams have won the Big Ten (Ohio St, Michigan St, and Penn St). Not one Bog Ten West team have won it since expansion in 2011. Michigan (who you are comparing Iowa and Ferentz to) have not won one since the last time Iowa did in 2004.

Since Ferentz got the ship righted in his 3rd year in 2001, the 5 teams above (which includes Iowa) are the only teams to win Big Ten titles except for Illinois in 2001 (and we see what they have become since then).

My point? You can be mad that Iowa isn’t Ohio St or Penn St but the reality is there have been 3 teams above the rest of the conference and the are all in the Big Ten East (and Michigan hasn’t been one of them). And for anyone that loves to bag on Ferentz and act like the other programs like Nebraska and Minnesota and Purdue are up there with them, well at least Ferentz has won multiple titles since the last time these schools did anything in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
He also needs to help insert plays so his quarterback is more mobility. o_O
He's the head coach. After 20 years he needs to figure out they need a running QB...All really good teams have a mobile QB in college these days...
Oh, you mean we need to update out system...:eek:

Now you're talking, big guy! Damn shame we can't play Rutgers a couple more times this year and we'd really show'em!!
that made me lol

Maybe Robert Meuller can subpoena his little thigh notepads. WE DEMAND TRANSPARENCY!

Actually...now that Doodle thinks about it, as a state employee, his notepads may very well be accessible via a well crafted FOIA request.

Who's on it?!?
I actually would like to know what he writes down.

Last edited:
Reactions: BackKirkOrBeBanned
Exactly. I bet the players and coaches will love it that he's outing them publicly rather than addressing their mistakes in practice and working with them to correct the issues. It's a genius idea. I don't know why he didn't try it sooner. We'd be defending National Champs if he had.
What is your proposal then? Not hold anyone accountable - I never did say nor would I say to call out players. Coaches, yes - players no. YOu don't even have to call the coaches by name, just say the OL needs some serious oversight. It can be done with tact and in public.

It's been years of the SSDD - and here we are having a very similar discussion.

Iowa will never be NC with Ferentz (either of them) as a coach. If you enjoy mediocrity, then enjoy what has been here for 20+ years.

What is your proposal then? Not hold anyone accountable - I never did say nor would I say to call out players. Coaches, yes - players no. YOu don't even have to call the coaches by name, just say the OL needs some serious oversight. It can be done with tact and in public.

Iowa will never be NC with Ferentz (either of them) as a coach. If you enjoy mediocrity, then enjoy what has been here for 20+ years.

I think it's best for the football team to address the problems with the football team among themselves and not in public.

It might - at least it would put the onus squarely on someone's shoulders.

you seemed open to the idea of calling out players with this response.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

Who will make them National Champs that will take this job and overcome all the obstacles they have from a recruiting standpoint? Give me one viable name? Scott Frost?

I hear these words all the time but never hear a realistic answer. People could pretend and be delusional like Nebraska fans and believe that Frost is gong to take them back to the hallowed days but rational people know better and know times have changed.

Ferentz is basically doing the same as Fry. Why didn’t you just say the last 40 years of mediocrity? And before that it sounds like it was 20 years of Rutgers type football.

He's a great guy and an awesome human being...he's also one of the greatest developers of "non-skill position" talent in football. What he's not, is a head coach at the P5 level...especially on game day. In a nutshell, he's a champion checkers player floundering in a chess league. Instead of surrounding himself will staff that will compensate for his weaknesses, he resorts to cronyism time and time again. Yes, he's has some success with that, but you can't build an entire P5 staff with your family and drinking buddies. He's sold the "8-4 is a great year for us" theme like a maestro and the weaker elements of the fan base gobble that up like hotcakes on a winter morning. He doesn't need to take responsibility for who/what he is when it's been allowed to thrive for 20 years...even encouraged.

Perfect post.

/end thread

I think it's best for the football team to address the problems with the football team among themselves and not in public.

you seemed open to the idea of calling out players with this response.
"hawkbirch said:
And I think Kirk publicly blaming people would totally fix all of those problems."

As I stated in a post just a moment ago - not the players.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT