ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk was on 670 The Score here in Chicago today

Kirk actually said in the interview yesterday “My job is not to produce NFL players, but it’s a nice perk when it happens” ...I shit you not.

If I were a kid and heard him say that, I’d be more than a bit underwhelmed with my offer from Iowa to say the least. Keep in mind EVERY kid feels he has what it takes to go pro some day.

Wait a tick..... KF said his job is to win football games for the University of Iowa?...... great now we are a win at all cost program.

Was talking about salaries, facilities, length of contract, support, etc. the resources he has at his disposal are in the top 15 or so nationally
What’s his record in his time at Iowa compared to all other schools? How does that rank?

Was talking about salaries, facilities, length of contract, support, etc. the resources he has at his disposal are in the top 15 or so nationally

How is Kirk's contract an advantage at all in how difficult/easy it is to win at Iowa? Just because Barta could have overpaid (agree on the ridiculous buyout), it doesn't move Iowa closer to higher population centers. People can disagree about whether or not KF wins enough. If you are of the opinion that other coaches could do better, that's fine. But it is hard to win big at Iowa, relative to the programs you have to beat out in the Big 10 and nationally to get to where people want the program to be. Paying the coach a lot of money doesn't change those things.

Reactions: cmhawks99
He averages 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses a year without the bowls included. We play 12 "regular season" games more than we play 13 and you cannot round 5.1 down to 4 so 7.5 doesnt round up. He is a "7-5" coach.

Edit: since we do occasionally play 13 regular season games you COULD call him a 7 or 8 win 5 loss coach but you would be stretching it a bit. (The number 9 is in no way accurate)
I did the math and if he truly were a 8-4 (.666) win coach you would be able to take like 27 loses over time and turn those into wins. Imagine the difference in perception of the team if you were able to make that change over the last 19 years.
Believe me, I'll be as thrilled as anyone if our new coach wins more then KF, and represents the University well. Can he? Possibly. Can he win a national title at Iowa? Possibly. Do I think I'll see it happen? No, just from a historical standpoint. The current system is a deck so stacked in favor of the top five or six teams, that anyone else has some large obstacles to jump. They'll start in a few weeks seeding these teams with pre season rankings, and the top teams will get the benifit of every doubt all the way until December. Anyone on here, could probably pick the pre season top 6 to 8 teams. As they get closer to the playoff these teams are given every chance to stay at the top while the Wisconsins and Iowa's are held at arms length as long as possible. OSU should not have been a candidate last year, but they were still in the discussion till the end, because their OSU. In all honesty, why was UCF not in the playoff discussion last year, instead of some of the usual suspects? Just saying it will be pretty tough, but I guess that will amke it that much sweeter.:D

Last edited:
He averages 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses a year without the bowls included. We play 12 "regular season" games more than we play 13 and you cannot round 5.1 down to 4 so 7.5 doesnt round up. He is a "7-5" coach.

Edit: since we do occasionally play 13 regular season games you COULD call him a 7 or 8 win 5 loss coach but you would be stretching it a bit. (The number 9 is in no way accurate)
I did the math and if he truly were a 8-4 (.666) win coach you would be able to take like 27 loses over time and turn those into wins. Imagine the difference in perception of the team if you were able to make that change over the last 19 years.
His average record over the past 19 years is 8-5. You are drunk again. Stay away from the math.

His average record over the past 19 years is 8-5. You are drunk again. Stay away from the math.

I'm not going through this with you again. I have provided you with every data set and numbers. If you average 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses during the regular season and you play an average of 12 games a during a regular season you are a 7-5 coach. Show me the seasons we play 13 regular seasons games. I have said if you wanted to call him a 7or 8 win and 5 loss coach go for it but that "8" is as relevant as the number of times we have played 13 regular season games in the last 19 years. At least you are not going for 8-4 again, which he clearly isnt.

Last edited:
I'm not going through this with you again. I have provided you with every data set and numbers. If you average 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses during the regular season and you play an average of 12 games a during a regular season you are a 7-5 coach. Show me the seasons we play 13 regular seasons games. I have said if you wanted to call him a 7or 8 and 5 win coach go for it but at least your not going for 8-4 again, which he clearly isnt.

Does .596 make you feel that much better?

Coach Ferentz average yearly record over the past 19 years is 8-5. Period. Go back to 5th grade and study mean, mode, median and range. You just isn’t not too smart, is you?

What seasons did we play 13 regular season games? 1. We have played 13 regular season games (Games that are not bowl games) once. But you keep hanging your hat on .596 Rog.

Somebody gets it. Now he is going to explain to you why we should be able to round up the 7.5 and then accuse you of skewing the numbers.

I think it's fair to call Kirk an 8 win coach. Give him a pass on the 99 and 00 season and he is a little over 8 wins per year.....or include 99 and 00 and he's still closer to 8 than 7. And why are we only distinguishing regular season games?

And in the history of KF at Iowa we have played 13 regular season games once. He cannot be a 8-5 regular season coach and if you include his bowl numbers he is closer to a 7-6 coach.

I think it's fair to call Kirk an 8 win coach. Give him a pass on the 99 and 00 season and he is a little over 8 wins per year.....or include 99 and 00 and he's still closer to 8 than 7. And why are we only distinguishing regular season games?

Except he isnt closer to 8 than he is 7.

What seasons did we play 13 regular season games? 1. We have played 13 regular season games (Games that are not bowl games) once. But you keep hanging your hat on .596 Rog.
Susie goes to the market each day. First day she bought she bought 7 apples and 3 oranges. The next day she buys 5 apples and 4 oranges. Next day 3 apples and 2 oranges. How many apples and and how many oranges did Susie buy on average over the 3 day period.
2 numbers will suffice.

The only thing that matters in life and sports is: are we relative?
In basketball you need to make the ncaa's consistently and now and then go on a deep run.
In football you need to finish the season ranked 50% of the time and once in a while make the playoffs.

Roger I'm not doing this again. Your desire to change 7.5 to 8 while accusing people of skewing data is irresponsible at best. I have provided the data you can see the bowl games next to the records. And in your scenario Suzy gets 5 and 4. You dont call half an orange an orange.

Roger I'm not doing this again. Your desire to change 7.5 to 8 while accusing people of skewing data is irresponsible at best. I have provided the data you can see the bowl games next to the records. And in your scenario Suzy gets 5 and 4. You dont call half an orange an orange.
God you are a freaking stooge. Susie bought 9 oranges over 3 days. How many does she average a day? Stay away from math!!!

Kevin Kasper, Tim Dwight, Shonn Greene.
Out of 19 seasons, you could only name one KF recruit, that we got one good year out of no less. Great point.

Sorry, but KF has definite holes in his resume and it doesn't mean you hate the man, the program, or want him fired by pointing out areas we can do better. A few may want him gone but most just want better offensive production and maybe to lose in September a tad less than we have historically considering who we tend to play. It took 19 seasons to get +. 500 vs a bad ISU program afterall...

Belichik says no one is above criticism and I bet KF agrees even though he does come off ass thin-skinned at times. The "what the common fan doesn't understand", "that's football", and "they weren't complaining in 09" lines he was coming up with after '14 comes to mind

Show me how you get to 8 without rounding.
Last time we had this discussion I continually caught you cherry picking data and doing your calculations incorrectly. Rounding is a commonly used mathematical tool. You do it every time you say his average record is 7-5 over the past 19 years. Why can’t I round according to the math rules? 8-5.

And in the history of KF at Iowa we have played 13 regular season games once. He cannot be a 8-5 regular season coach and if you include his bowl numbers he is closer to a 7-6 coach.

statistically he's closer to 7-5 than anything else. .595 equates to 7.15 - 4.85 on a 12 game schedule. 7.73 - 5.27 on a 13 game schedule.

Because rounding is skewing. Here I answered a story question for you here is one in turn. A coach averages 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses for every 12 games played. If that coach plays 12 games how many wins does he have?

Maybe, or possibly the kid might think its refreshing to hear someone actually say the truth, thats NOT his job. Now as a side note, its something this staff does very well, and surely the young men can see the results for themselves. Sometimes, I think we underestimate these young people.
Well, it seems many 2-3 star kids find it refreshing anyway.

Because rounding is skewing. Here I answered a story question for you here is one in turn. A coach averages 7.5 wins and 5.1 losses for every 12 games played. If that coach plays 12 games how many wins does he have?
I will have my neighbors kid draw some pictures for you. She’s only in 6th grade right now but I think she studied how to find an average out of a group of numbers this year.

ADVERTISEMENT