ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk was on 670 The Score here in Chicago today

Rounds.... you cannot do it without the word "rounds". You are skewing the data. Try again.

Edit: rounds "goes up to" "gets moved to" all the same.

If a coach averages 7.5 wins and 5 losses for every 12 games he coaches. After 12 games, how many has he actually won?
8 one year and 7 the other. Or 9 and 6, 10 and 5 etc. But obviously you both know one of you is talking about 12 games with no rounding and the other is talking about averages over his career where they’ve played anywhere from 11-14 games in a year. Neither of you will win an argument until you agree on which set of data you are using.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Last time Einstein. He has won 143 games in 19 years. Do the math. He has averaged 7.53 wins a year. That rounds to 8 per year no matter what math test you are taking. We have some real dandies on this forum and you take the cake. Hate Ferentz all you want, but go buy a calculator and have your daughter show you how to calculate an average.

So if a guy bats .351 in the majors...he's a .400 hitter?

images

Not a good question. Different sport. Baseball has always rounded to thousandths. Do you understand the difference between whole numbers and decimals?

I was unaware that career winning percentages in football were automatically rounded up to whole numbers. Who made that pronouncement? Answer: someone trying to artificially inflate the winning percentage of a coach to support their argument.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I googled a bunch of well-known college football coaches and I'll be damned... the career records of all of them are given as Won-Lost totals and then a career win percentage- .xxx Not one, "he won 8 games a year or he won 7 games a year when you round it up."

Clearly something is wrong.

I considered it before you called me a dbag. Now I want a legendary thread to exist so all who visit this site can see your lack of intelligence.
Right on dbag. Let’s say Ferentz coaches for 23 years and he averages just under 13 games a year. Still with me dbag? We calculate the average wins and losses per year. He has 7.98 wins over year and 4.95 losses per year. You are telling me that you would say that his average yearly record is 7-4? Think before you open your mouth. If you say 7-4 accurately depicts his average yearly record, then I truly feel sorry for you.

Reactions: David1979
Right on dbag. Let’s say Ferentz coaches for 23 years and he averages just under 13 games a year. Still with me dbag? We calculate the average wins and losses per year. He has 7.98 wins over year and 4.95 losses per year. You are telling me that you would say that his average yearly record is 7-4? Think before you open your mouth. If you say 7-4 accurately depicts his average yearly record, then I truly feel sorry for you.

You're truly not that dumb.......... there is no way you're this dumb.

I googled a bunch of well-known college football coaches and I'll be damned... the career records of all of them are given as Won-Lost totals and then a career win percentage- .xxx Not one, "he won 8 games a year or he won 7 games a year when you round it up."

Clearly something is wrong.
This whole thing got started with me defending Ferentz and the program when the haters keep putting 7-5 next to his name and next to Iowa. I think that it is just as easy or even more accurate to use 8-5 as the yearly average numbers. Problem is, I am talking to a couple 5 year olds who do not understand how numbers work. Sorry douche bag. I really am!

Let's get this.

A coach plays 13 games a year for 10 years. He averages 7.99 wins a year and 5.01 losses per year

(So that his totals actually reach the number games played.....)

How many wins a year does he average?

This whole thing got started with me defending Ferentz and the program when the haters keep putting 7-5 next to his name and next to Iowa. I think that it is just as easy or even more accurate to use 8-5 as the yearly average numbers. Problem is, I am talking to a couple 5 year olds who do not understand how numbers work. Sorry douche bag. I really am!

At least this 5 year old understands you dont round up a winning percentage.

A little tip Rog. Your point comes off much more credible without the "5 year olds" and "haters" lingo. It's revealing.

As for your numbers, I get what you're reaching for. But the facts don't back you up, KFz is closer to 7-5 than he is 8-5. That's not my opinion or yours... those are the numbers.

You're not sorry, you're just stubborn.

A little tip Rog. Your point comes off much more credible without the "5 year olds" and "haters" lingo. It's revealing.

As for your numbers, I get what you're reaching for. But the facts don't back you up, KFz is closer to 7-5 than he is 8-5. That's not my opinion or yours... those are the numbers.

You're not sorry, you're just stubborn.
If you you can show me how 7.53 is closer to 7 than it is to 8, then you are right.
A little tip. Maybe join discussions where you understand the topic. That major league reference was a complete joke.

If you you can show me how 7.53 is closer to 7 than it is to 8, then you are right.
A little tip. Maybe join discussions where you understand the topic. That major league reference was a complete joke.

It's not a matter of it being closer it is a matter of being factually dishonest to round up a number. As I have said, as the articles clearly say, when discussing statistics a number is a number until it is the next number. They dont play 12.5 games a year.

So if you want to say "closer" draw a 7 on a piece of paper and an 8 on a piece of paper and put your finger on the "7" of 7.5 until that number is "8" it is a 7. What number is your finger "closer" to?

Hope you dont fall off that high horse, at your age you might break a hip. You serious Clark? Passive aggressive age bait is passive aggressive.
Very serious Eddy! You’ll understand someday! Btw I’m not even forty yet, and still in very good shape! I can’t keep track though, you do like Ferentz? You seem to be contradicting yourself!

It's not a matter of it being closer it is a matter of being factually dishonest to round up a number. As I have said, as the articles clearly say, when discussing statistics a number is a number until it is the next number. They dont play 12.5 games a year.
Then 7-5 should not be used either when talking about Iowa’s average record under Ferentz. I am not opening any of your links. I used to work as a data analyst and I know how rounding numbers can skew data. We honestly learn that in middle school.

Then 7-5 should not be used either when talking about Iowa’s average record under Ferentz. I am not opening any of your links. I used to work as a data analyst and I know how rounding numbers can skew data. We honestly learn that in middle school.

You were a data analyst and are attempting to round numbers? /throws head in hands.

You were a data analyst and are attempting to round numbers? /throws head in hands.
In my last position we had to be accurate to 6 decimal places. Our system rounded to 6 places. Data analysts round numbers all day long. What about an irrational number that keeps going? You cannot be serious about this?

In my last position we had to be accurate to 6 decimal places. Our system rounded to 6 places. Data analysts round numbers all day long. What about an irrational number that keeps going? You cannot be serious about this?

Rounding decimal places is incredibly common, rounding the total is horribly inaccurate and scientifically dishonest. Those are two drastically different things. Do you realize by adding that much error in yourself your destroying your data set?

False gerrymandered question designed to support your number.

A: 8-5 = 61.53 winning percentage
B: 7-5 = 59.33 winning percentage

KFz's career winning percentage at IOWA is 59.58

Which is closer to 59.58? A or B? The answer would indicate which is a more accurate (and honest) representation of his record.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Mishami38
Rounding decimal places is incredibly common, rounding the total is horribly inaccurate and scientifically dishonest. Those are two drastically different things. Do you realize by adding that much error in yourself your destroying your data set?

What you are talking about would be the equivalent of calling coach a .59 coach instead of a .591 that isnt going to change your outcome much (and wouldnt change anything .00000x.) By labeling him a "8-5" coach he could have up to a .691 winning percentage. See what I'm saying by dishonest? That's too much error.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT