ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray declares for the draft

Keep hearing about NIL money. Did Keegan get any this year? If he did it wasn’t talked about much. My guess is whatever NIL money he gets would be very insignificant to him coming back. As level headed as the family all seems I think they’ll make the right decision for them.

Reactions: topherchris20
I think Kris is smart to get the NBA evaluation. While I am no expert, I would like to see Kris come back to Iowa for one more year. He is still refining his game and it wouldn't hurt for him to get physically stronger. Whichever way it turns out, I'm certain Kris will do well.

Keep hearing about NIL money. Did Keegan get any this year? If he did it wasn’t talked about much. My guess is whatever NIL money he gets would be very insignificant to him coming back. As level headed as the family all seems I think they’ll make the right decision for them.
Do you think Keegan and Kris signed autographs/sold T-shirts at Scheels last weekend for free? I have no idea how much of a cut they get on each shirt they sell, but Keegan in particular has sold a lot. See people wearing them at games frequently.

You may be right in that it's a drop in the bucket compared to elsewhere, but they're definitely making NIL money.

I think that someone would take a flyer on Kris in the second round. If the NBA draft is about traits, Kris has the same physical traits as Keegan, and flashed that potential in a number of games. But if I am Kris, if I can put up 18 and 8 at Iowa next year, while Keegan wins the rookie of the year (neither of which seems far-fetched), I put myself in the top 10 of the NBA draft next year. That is significantly superior to the outcome of being drafted in the second round. The NBA never has a comp as close as Kris will have next year.

I understand the age thing, but in the NBA draft age pertains mostly to ceiling. A raw young player with elite traits has a higher ceiling. With Kris, if Keegan has the type of success that I believe he will have as a rookie, nobody is going to be raising questions about Kris's age in 12 months because they will have a really good example of to look at in terms of his ceiling.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Workout for NBA teams, get great feedback (work on your right hand, show you can consistently beat guys off the bounce, quicker release, don't let your coach play you at the 5!), come back to Iowa, watch your twin do well and be a great comp thereby increasing your draft stock, Iead Iowa to the holy grail Sweet 16, become a lottery pick. Sound like a plan Kris?

Reactions: perryhawk
Doubt Kris could be good enough for the NBA. Was not good enough to start at Iowa last season and played the same amount of minutes as Connor and Joe T.
I think my detector picked up on the sarcasm but Joe T played the only position on the floor that Kris wasn't a good fit for.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
It does not always seem logical to me, but given the way the NBA draft has played out in recent years, Kris' age would work against him if he waited until the 2023 draft.
I just don’t get this age thing. He’s 22 for God’s sake. 40 years until he is social security eligible. He will be the man if he returns. If he goes I wish him success but he isn’t the player Keegan is just yet. Very good player but not NBA ready just yet.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
And just, FTR, I don't think he just leaves and signs a G-League contract.

I could absolutely see something similar to Joe W and Garza, get drafted late 2nd round and sign a 2 way deal then spend most/all of a season in G-League.

I do think it will depend on what he's told by evaluator types. Either way, I hope he does what's best for him and his future.
This is what I’m thinking as well. If I’m Kris and I get a chance to be in the NBA I would jump ship. I believe playing in the G league and being around nba players and former nba players will make Kris a better overall player in the end. Everyone seems to be penciling him in on having a Keegan like season and that is just unfair to Kris. With how the NBA is trending I wouldn’t blame him for leaving. 45% of the nba played in the g league at some point, this is the way to go imo

a9yoy2yewqdqdhygdjto.gif

Do you think Keegan and Kris signed autographs/sold T-shirts at Scheels last weekend for free? I have no idea how much of a cut they get on each shirt they sell, but Keegan in particular has sold a lot. See people wearing them at games frequently.

You may be right in that it's a drop in the bucket compared to elsewhere, but they're definitely making NIL money.
I said it was insignificant.

Uh, yeah. I thought that they did that for free, The are great young men.
No doubt they are great, they even donated some of their earnings to Special Olympics. I guess I don't know 100% if they were paid to do that, but usually these signings come with an appearance fee--Scheels probably sold a lot of merch while they were there and they generated a lot of business. Them making money for spending a few hours on their weekend signing and selling a ton of merch also does not make them any less of "great young men". It's great that so many Iowa athletes donate time and money, and we also shouldn't think less of athletes that also pocket some well earned cash as well.

Really? Then why were NBA scouts at most of Keegan's games last season?

And the result of Keegan's college production? Some analysts have Keegan going as high as 4th in the NBA draft.
to scout his skills just like I said. Its why the draft is dominated by one and dones and guys that play in other pro leagues for a year. They dont care what you have done in college. If they did you would see more upper classmen at the top of the draft. Keegan was projected as a 1st rounder before this year.

Coming back to Iowa is not going to improve Kris draft value. Just like it didnt improve Joes.

to scout his skills just like I said. Its why the draft is dominated by one and dones and guys that play in other pro leagues for a year. They dont care what you have done in college. If they did you would see more upper classmen at the top of the draft. Keegan was projected as a 1st rounder before this year.

Coming back to Iowa is not going to improve Kris draft value. Just like it didnt improve Joes.
Not sure thats a good argument. I highly doubt Joe gets drafted at all after year one or two. Year three he was an all conference level player and improved his scoring, and rebounding. Just being evaluated put his name out there for the scouts to keep an eye on his progress.

It obviously improved Keegan's.

It does not always seem logical to me, but given the way the NBA draft has played out in recent years, Kris' age would work against him if he waited until the 2023 draft.
Not exactly.

Being young works in a players favor because there's greater potential for improvement and teams are more willing to overlook flaws. But no one gets downgraded for being in their early 20s by itself.

At that age you don't get the benefit of the imagination in the evaluation.

You actually have to be able to play.

If you can play, it doesn't matter what age you are.

Teams would rather draft starter quality players in their early 20s because they essentially get those guys at a discount.

Those type of late bloomers are rare though.

Keegan is that type of late bloomer.

Kris probably will be too.

Ironically Kris might actually still get drafted in the 1st round on potential this draft.

I hope he stays and plays himself into being a sure fire high first round pick. But I could see him getting a really good evaluation. He seems like a better prospect (not necessarily a better basketball player) at this point than either Weiskamp or Garza were at the end of last year. If I am an NBA team Kris would be my first pick of the 3. And I do love all of these great Hawkeyes, so none of opinion is meant to be a shot at anyone.
Not even a question.

Reactions: longliveCS40
He should do exactly what he is doing. Get evaluated. Go if you are going to get drafted, or come back and work on the areas identified. More than likely he is gone if he thinks he can develop more as a G League player than as a college player, because he's not ready for the NBA, yet.
He'd be stupid to leave for the G League or even second round.

He has the potential to go much higher than that, this year, let alone next.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
The release couldn’t make it more abundantly clear that he’ll be back. It’s a great process to go through and I’m surprised Pat didn’t partake this year. Hell even TP has displayed enough of a skill-set and motor to do the same thing. We should want all of our guys to do this. If he does go pro, it’ll mean he landed in the first round, which would be awesome. I’ll always put fandom aside to root for these kids getting the money they’ve worked so hard for.

im not really sure you really improve your stock to scouts at the college level. They see skill and potential. Not sure college production means anything (if little) to them.
Sure, theres cases where skill and potential don't match up to production, like Kris, and alot of cases where college produtiond means not much like Luka.

But there's definitely overlap too.

Nba want to see you hit shots, especially 3s.

The thing people are missing is, obviously Kris could go to the G League this year but thats not necessarily to his benefit.

If that's all the better he gets evaluated it would silly not to come back and try to become a high 1st rounder like his brother. The money would more than make up for a g League year of pay.

Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone is willing to take him in the 1st round this year as a value pick based on where they project him after next year.

Reactions: Fan In Black
One of the pieces of feedback could very well be "We see you getting picked at ___, but next year because of your age you would likely fall 10 spots"

Age could definitely play a part in his evaluation.
Thats not a thing.

Most of us know what the wink means.

But, as you can see, @nu2u gets completely outraged over some sarcasm & shows us what an idiot he is.

Armando Bacot for North Carolina has announced he is coming back to school. He is projected to be a second round pick right now. I would expect he may have some NIL money coming his way. He is 22 and is about six months older than Kris.

didn't you hear? 22 is too old for the NBA ;)

Holy cow what an idiotic statement.

...and no one is saying he is too old for the draft. He will be older than most though

cc: @littlez

• Haha
Reactions: littlez and nu2u
I think that someone would take a flyer on Kris in the second round. If the NBA draft is about traits, Kris has the same physical traits as Keegan, and flashed that potential in a number of games. But if I am Kris, if I can put up 18 and 8 at Iowa next year, while Keegan wins the rookie of the year (neither of which seems far-fetched), I put myself in the top 10 of the NBA draft next year. That is significantly superior to the outcome of being drafted in the second round. The NBA never has a comp as close as Kris will have next year.

I understand the age thing, but in the NBA draft age pertains mostly to ceiling. A raw young player with elite traits has a higher ceiling. With Kris, if Keegan has the type of success that I believe he will have as a rookie, nobody is going to be raising questions about Kris's age in 12 months because they will have a really good example of to look at in terms of his ceiling.
Correct.

The average nba age is 27.

You don't get downgraded for being 22, that makes no sense.

Draft age also pertains to lack of supply.

Those super high ceiling talent guys gets drafted so early because there aren't very many of them so teams are willing to jump early rather than be late and miss out.

No one in their right mind is going to downgrade a 22 year old that they see as a potential roster player.

But at that age the player has to be a much better player than an 18 year old.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
If he is told he’s a first round pick, I argue he has zero decision to make it’s already made.

but what if he is told, as an example, that he is somewhere between 28-32?

the top 30 picks get guaranteed contracts. Picks 31, 32, and after, do not. Do you stay in the draft and hope you are Top 30 or do you return to Iowa and improve your draft status?

Let’s give Fran some credit for limiting Kris’ minutes this year. That genius strategic move ensured Kris’s return to become the lead dog 😉
Or he'll go down as the most underutilized player in Iowa history.

I hope you're right.

As an Iowa fan it would suck if he leaves.

Sure, theres cases where skill and potential don't match up to production, like Kris, and alot of cases where college produtiond means not much like Luka.

The thing people are missing is, obviously Kris could go to the G League this year but thats not necessarily to his benefit.

If that's all the better he gets evaluated it would silly not to come back and try to become a high 1st rounder like his brother. The money would more than make up for a g League year of pay.

Thing is, I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone is willing to take him in the 1st round this year as a value pick based on where they project him after next year.
I agree other than the part about going to the G League being not worth it. That assumes his biggest motivation is the money.

If he thinks he'll get to a roster quicker by playing in the G League, that might be the incentive he's looking for.

I have no idea. Love his game and his attitude. Hope to see him back next season at Iowa.

Or he'll go down as the most underutilized player in Iowa history.

I hope you're right.

As an Iowa fan it would suck if he leaves.
Yeah, I thought Kris should have been starting in place of Patrick McCaffery primarily because he is a better rebounder.

Not exactly.

Being young works in a players favor because there's greater potential for improvement and teams are more willing to overlook flaws. But no one gets downgraded for being in their early 20s by itself.

At that age you don't get the benefit of the imagination in the evaluation.

You actually have to be able to play.

If you can play, it doesn't matter what age you are.

Teams would rather draft starter quality players in their early 20s because they essentially get those guys at a discount.

Those type of late bloomers are rare though.

Keegan is that type of late bloomer.

Kris probably will be too.

Ironically Kris might actually still get drafted in the 1st round on potential this draft.

you say it better than me. This.

Reactions: RocknRollface

The scouts don't care what Keegan and Kris have done in college? I disagree. That's why the scouts are there at the games! To see how/if they have improved and to see how they perform against B1G competition. And, boy, did Keegan ever show off in some of the games IN COLLEGE.

And coming back to Iowa is not going to improve Kris's draft value? Again, I disagree. He will get more minutes, more touches, and more opportunities to impress the NBA scouts (the exact thing that happened to Keegan).

So since 90% of the people on here admit they only watch mostly Iowa basketball, go over to SI.com and check out their latest mock draft. Keegan going number 5 by the way. You’d be surprised at the number of comments about a guy being 22 as old. But whatever. And the majority or close to 90% of the picks are Freshmen or early departures. So yes, it does mean something.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT