ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray declares for the draft

im not really sure you really improve your stock to scouts at the college level. They see skill and potential. Not sure college production means anything (if little) to them.
This exactly.

Many players have gone to the league in the past decade plus with unremarkable scoring numbers.
NBA talent evaluation is about what skills he has and the fit a guy can be on a team.
I can easily see Kris going 2nd round and getting a two way deal. That might be worth it

In this case there’s a guy like Johnny Juzang (sp). After a kind of disappointing regular season last year, he blew up and carried UCLA to the Final 4. He was then projected late 1st round. Decided to come back and now will probably not get drafted. While I think Kris does come back, ultimately, he is taking a chance if he doesn’t go. As I’ve said, I think the Murray family seems to make very smart decisions. In the end it’s up to them. Unless of course they want to consult with Frandaman. 😏

Reactions: amahawk

Here are the top players under 25 in the nba per this website. Can anyone point out any of them that were 23 going on 24 when drafted? At best Kris might be a late 1st rounder next year with his age.

Reactions: Fan In Black
Why would he settle for getting drafted in the 2nd round and play in the G League when he could wait one more year and get drafted in the 1st round, where the money is guaranteed?
What are the percentages of G leaguers who get to the NBA and stay for a decent time?, Name a few? As you can see I don't follow NBA much

So since 90% of the people on here admit they only watch mostly Iowa basketball, go over to SI.com and check out their latest mock draft. Keegan going number 5 by the way. You’d be surprised at the number of comments about a guy being 22 as old. But whatever. And the majority or close to 90% of the picks are Freshmen or early departures. So yes, it does mean something.
Correlation does not equal causation.

Most guys who have nba potential can be identified in late teens. They're not getting drafted because they are young they are being drafted inspite of being young because of their rare physical abilities.

But thats not always the case.

The Murrays are the exception. Late bloomers who looked nothing like nba players at 18.

Clearly if age was a deterent Keegan wouldn't be a lottery pick.

The team that drafts Keegan is actually going to get a discount by getting more of his best years on his first contract.

Here are the top players under 25 in the nba per this website. Can anyone point out any of them that were 23 going on 24 when drafted? At best Kris might be a late 1st rounder next year with his age.
Thank you.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Correlation does not equal causation.

Most guys who have nba potential can be identified in late teens. They're not getting drafted because they are young they are being drafted inspite of being young because of their rare physical abilities.

But thats not always the case.

The Murrays are the exception. Late bloomers who looked nothing like nba players at 18.

Clearly if age was a deterent Keegan wouldn't be a lottery pick.

The team that drafts Keegan is actually going to get a discount by getting more of his best years on his first contract.
We’re not talking about Keegan.

What are the percentages of G leaguers who get to the NBA and stay for a decent time?, Name a few? As you can see I don't follow NBA much

Yeah, I don't know the exact statistics but if you get drafted in the 2nd round, it's really tough to stick around. Luka and Joe started out with 2 way contracts; those contracts were eventually torn up where they were given standard contracts. Both Joe and Luka played mostly in the G League this season; hopefully after next season their contracts are renewed.

What makes it tough to land AND KEEP a roster spot in the NBA is that players are playing longer and each year every team adds a 1st round pick to their roster. There are only so many jobs available. I still don't get how Jarrod Uthof was never able to find a spot.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Chris Duarte was picked 13th last year and he was 24 at the time and played 4 years in college. Corey Kispert and Davion Mitchell were also top 15 picks last year at 22 years old. Age is a factor, but it's not a deal breaker some in this thread are making it out to be.

Chris Duarte was picked 13th last year and he was 24 at the time and played 4 years in college. Corey Kispert and Davion Mitchell were also top 15 picks last year at 22 years old. Age is a factor, but it's not a deal breaker some in this thread are making it out to be.
No it’s not a deal breaker but it’s the exception. All I’ve said. Keegan has proved it. He also only played 2 years at Iowa.

Here are the top players under 25 in the nba per this website. Can anyone point out any of them that were 23 going on 24 when drafted? At best Kris might be a late 1st rounder next

You don't get drafted higher for being younger.

You get drafted sooner for being more talented.

Its not at all the same thing.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You don't get drafted higher for being younger.

You get drafted sooner for being more talented.

Its not at all the same thing.
If you don’t think these teams don’t take age into the equation when drafting in the lottery then idk what to tell you. It also seems everyone is working on the premise that Kris will be Keegan next year which is unfair to Kris. Keegan is a complete outlier with the season he had.

Its actually not a negative factor at all.

A 24 year has zero disadvantages to an 18 year old of equal talent.

You just don't hardly ever have good nba talent available to be drafted at 24. It's basically a fluke situation if a guy who can play in the league isn't already there by then.

A fluke situation like being a late bloomer and then playing the same position as the coaches sons.

If you don’t think these teams don’t take age into the equation when drafting in the lottery then idk what to tell you. It also seems everyone is working on the premise that Kris will be Keegan next year which is unfair to Kris. Keegan is a complete outlier with the season he had.
Whats the equation then?

Explain it please.

What benefits does an 18 year old have over a 24 year old strictly based on age, not talent.

Its actually not a negative factor at all.

A 24 year has zero disadvantages to an 18 year old of equal talent.

You just don't hardly ever have good nba talent available to be drafted at 24. It's basically a fluke situation if a guy who can play in the league isn't already there by then.

A fluke situation like being a late bloomer and then playing the same position as the coaches sons.
“A 24 year has zero disadvantages to an 18 year old of equal talent.” Lolololol

Except the ceiling of the players potential being much higher and being able to coach him at 18 which is 6 years younger haha. These lottery teams want to develop talent and be able to extend them when they are 23 not draft them. Do you think these teams want to take a chance on a 24 year old draftee or someone that’s been in the league in FA at 24? The NBA is a whole different beast

Reactions: littlez

Except the ceiling of the players potential being much higher and being able to coach him at 18 which is 6 years younger haha. These lottery teams want to develop talent and be able to extend them when they are 23 not draft them. Do you think these teams want to take a chance on a 24 year old draftee or someone that’s been in the league in FA at 24? The NBA is a whole different beast
Equal talent.

Try again.

Thats a fail.

Equal talent.

Try again.

Thats a fail.
Equal talent at 18 compared to 24, who do you think a team would take a chance on? Come on man, every team would take the younger player of equal talent on the perceived notion that you can get more out of that player and he will be better at the age of 24.

Reactions: HawkOn15

Whats funny is you're not smart enough to even grasp what I'm saying.

You're adding in a bunch of variables that aren't specifically related to age.

Why the hell would a team want to extend a player at 23 if they could have the same exact player on a rookie contract at that age.

Equal talent at 18 compared to 24, who do you think a team would take a chance on? Come on man, every team would take the younger player of equal talent on the perceived notion that you can get more out of that player and he will be better at the age of 24.
Um...bullshit.

If you could get a player for their prime years on a rookie contract everyone does that without hesitation.

Whats funny is you're not smart enough to even grasp what I'm saying.

You're adding in a bunch of variables that aren't specifically related to age.

Why the hell would a team want to extend a player at 23 if they could have the same exact player on a rookie contract at that age.
Because you have to add in these variables haha. Idk why it’s hard for you to understand this. Also a team would want to extend a 23 year old after 5 years because he is worth the extension compared to an unknown player from college.

Um...bullshit.

If you could get a player for their prime years on a rookie contract everyone does that without hesitation.
So you are arguing you would rather have Chris Duarte type player at 23 on a rookie deal compared to extending a Luka Doncic or Jayson Tatum? Ok, I think we are done here.

Because you have to add in these variables haha. Idk why it’s hard for you to understand this. Also a team would want to extend a 23 year old after 5 years because he is worth the extension compared to an unknown player from college.
No you don't.

Thats the beauty of a hypothetical argument.

You can isolate one factor.

Last edited:
So you are arguing you would rather have Chris Duarte type player at 23 on a rookie deal compared to extending a Luka Doncic or Jayson Tatum? Ok, I think we are done here.
You're comparing players of totally different abilities and then pretending like age is the factor.

Jw, do you watch the NBA?
Of course.

You said players get downgraded because of age.

All the points you're attributing to age are actually just talent related.

Older players don't get drafted because if they were talented enough they would have already been drafted years ago 99.9 % of the time.

The more talented you are the younger you get drafted. But the age is not the factor its the talent.

You need to clean up your argument skills. Read closely, thats the key.

Don't jump all over the place, stay on point if you want to be taken seriously.

Last edited:
right. its rare to be that old and a high draft pick. you just have to look at the recent drafts.

Its the inverse of drafting 40 years ago where the underclassmen were the exception. In the 80s a JR declaring was the cutoff.

A 23 year old can be drafted 2022 just like as a 19 year old could in 1984. Its just not the norm.

I think Keegan will be a star in the league. But his age is mentioned for a reason right or wrong. Just like Moses Malone, Daryll Dawkins, Shawn Kemp & Kevin Garnett before the norm changed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moral
right. its rare to be that old and a high draft pick. you just have to look at the recent drafts.

Its the inverse of drafting 40 years ago where the underclassmen were the exception. In the 80s a JR declaring was the cutoff.

A 23 year old can be drafted 2022 just like as a 19 year old could in 1984. Its just not the norm.

I think Keegan will be a star in the league. But his age is mentioned for a reason right or wrong. Just like Moses Malone, Daryll Dawkins, Shawn Kemp & Kevin Garnett before the norm changed.
Its not the norm because there's almost never any incentive for a person with nba talent to wait that long.

In the rare instances that there is a player available at that age who can play the nba will not count that age against the player.

That player just rarely exists.

Clearly when those high talent older players become available they get drafted in relation to their talent.

I don't know that this is a JoeW situation. Kris is older and his game is further along than Joe's was then. I said a few months ago that it was 50/50 whether he stays or goes. I still think that's where we're at today.
It's essentially the exact same thing Joe Weiskamp did prior to the year he did actually leave. Look for the same outcome here.

It's essentially the exact same thing Joe Weiskamp did prior to the year he did actually leave. Look for the same outcome here.
I'd say Kris is a better prospect than Joe is the only difference. No knock on Joe. He's proven he's NBA level talent.

As some have said, maybe a team takes a flyer on Kris given his physical attributes and upside.

but what if he is told, as an example, that he is somewhere between 28-32?

the top 30 picks get guaranteed contracts. Picks 31, 32, and after, do not. Do you stay in the draft and hope you are Top 30 or do you return to Iowa and improve your draft status?
You’re moving the bar, now talking about the second round. My comment was simply that if he’s told he’s a first round pick I think his choice is already made.

but what if he is told, as an example, that he is somewhere between 28-32?

the top 30 picks get guaranteed contracts. Picks 31, 32, and after, do not. Do you stay in the draft and hope you are Top 30 or do you return to Iowa and improve your draft status?

It is not accurate to say picks after the 1st round do not get guaranteed contracts.

Reactions: longliveCS40
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT