ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray declares for the draft

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
I assume this is the same thing Joe W did the first time? Do you have to "declare for the draft" to get evaluated?

I think leaving would be a foolish mistake. He's heading into a year where he is going to be "The Man" - all of his stats will take dramatic jumps. He can build himself into a sure fired draft choice in 2023.

Getting the evaluation, however, makes perfect sense.

I think leaving would be a foolish mistake. He's heading into a year where he is going to be "The Man" - all of his stats will take dramatic jumps. He can build himself into a sure fired draft choice in 2023.

Stats won't mean much if they determine he has NBA skills. If they see the skills they want, he could get drafted.

I'm guessing they give him some things they want to see him improve on, aggressiveness, body control (would help with fouls defensively), handles, etc. Then he comes back and works on things.

It does not always seem logical to me, but given the way the NBA draft has played out in recent years, Kris' age would work against him if he waited until the 2023 draft.

No special info, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he gets a favorable eval….very high ceiling….I think he’s gone.

Note by favorable, I think he can easily get in the G league and develop ala Tyler Cook

Reactions: amahawk
I hope he stays and plays himself into being a sure fire high first round pick. But I could see him getting a really good evaluation. He seems like a better prospect (not necessarily a better basketball player) at this point than either Weiskamp or Garza were at the end of last year. If I am an NBA team Kris would be my first pick of the 3. And I do love all of these great Hawkeyes, so none of opinion is meant to be a shot at anyone.

He should do exactly what he is doing. Get evaluated. Go if you are going to get drafted, or come back and work on the areas identified. More than likely he is gone if he thinks he can develop more as a G League player than as a college player, because he's not ready for the NBA, yet.

I don't know that this is a JoeW situation. Kris is older and his game is further along than Joe's was then. I said a few months ago that it was 50/50 whether he stays or goes. I still think that's where we're at today.
Agreed. Most people on here seemed to be of the opinion there's no way Kris would leave. The stats he put up at the college level are going to be secondary to what he shows them in workouts. If he has a good workout and impresses a team, I could definitely see them drafting him.

Wish him the best in the process. At minimum, they provide him with some things to focus on and that makes him a better player if he returns next season to Iowa.

Why would he go to the G League, if next year he could be a solid draftee?
Because he would get paid to develop his talent and possibly develop more playing against NBA caliber players than college players.

In the end, if he went G League and then got a contract it wouldn't be any different than playing another year of college and then getting drafted.

This is going to allow NBA personnel to get a first hand look where they can have conversations with Kris. Kris is likely going to blow them all away during these conversations. The kid is humble, respectful, but loaded in talent and potential.

Will the NBA folks then tell Kris he's a 1st Round NBA pick this year? Probably not. But they will tell him what he needs to work on and that's what Kris will do. And after next season I don't think there's any doubt Kris will be a 1st Round NBA Draft pick, just like Keegan.

I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves. I think he could easily get a G League contract.

No special info, but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he gets a favorable eval….very high ceiling….I think he’s gone.

Note by favorable, I think he can easily get in the G league and develop ala Tyler Cook

He should do exactly what he is doing. Get evaluated. Go if you are going to get drafted, or come back and work on the areas identified. More than likely he is gone if he thinks he can develop more as a G League player than as a college player, because he's not ready for the NBA, yet.

Why would he settle for getting drafted in the 2nd round and play in the G League when he could wait one more year and get drafted in the 1st round, where the money is guaranteed?

Because he would get paid to develop his talent and possibly develop more playing against NBA caliber players than college players.

In the end, if he went G League and then got a contract it wouldn't be any different than playing another year of college and then getting drafted.

So, you think he should enter the draft and potentially land in the 2nd round, where the money is not guaranteed? He then likely starts off with a 2 way contract with most of the playing time in the G League, like what happened with Luka and Weezy.

However, if Kris plays one more year of college, I could see him being a Top 10 pick in 2023, just like Keegan.

The money for 1st Round picks:

Santi Aldama was the last pick (#30) in the 1st round of last year's NBA Draft. He signed a 4 year, $10,243,371 fully guaranteed contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Ziaire Williams was the #10 pick in last year's NBA Draft. He signed a 4 year, $19,907,925 fully guaranteed contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
im not really sure you really improve your stock to scouts at the college level. They see skill and potential. Not sure college production means anything (if little) to them.
There's lots of ways to improve draft stock--better understanding of defensive sets, better 3 point shooting, improved iso moves, etc. The NBA definitely drafts more on potential than the NFL, but if Kris were an All-American next year and he improved on whatever feedback the NBA scouts/teams give him during their evaluation period Kris could easily be a mid-to-late first rounder next year. Often times the late picks aren't looking as much for potential and more for immediate fit/role anyways.

I think some people think that it's rare to have guys that are 22+ year olds, but there's usually a handful of 22 year olds taken in the first round every year. Last year there was even 3 in the top 15 picks.

Reactions: RocknRollface
im not really sure you really improve your stock to scouts at the college level. They see skill and potential. Not sure college production means anything (if little) to them.

Really? Then why were NBA scouts at most of Keegan's games last season?

And the result of Keegan's college production? Some analysts have Keegan going as high as 4th in the NBA draft.

So, you think he should enter the draft and potentially land in the 2nd round, where the money is not guaranteed? He then likely starts off with a 2 way contract with most of the playing time in the G League, like what happened with Luka and Weezy.

However, if Kris plays one more year of college, I could see him being a Top 10 pick in 2023, just like Keegan.

Santi Aldama was the last pick (#30) in the 1st round of last year's NBA Draft. He signed a 4 year, $10,243,371 fully guaranteed contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

Ziaire Williams was the #10 pick in last year's NBA Draft. He signed a 4 year, $19,907,925 fully guaranteed contract with the Memphis Grizzlies.

One of the pieces of feedback could very well be "We see you getting picked at ___, but next year because of your age you would likely fall 10 spots"

Age could definitely play a part in his evaluation.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r

Potentially. Two ways to get there really. It just depends on whether he thought he could play himself onto the team quickly and excel once he did. There's risk either way. It really comes down to how he thinks he can better impress NBA teams...on their G League squad or in college.

It is a unique situation since NBA teams see his identical twin brother and how good he's gotten given some minutes. An NBA team might take a chance on Kris knowing he has the same potential. Their games are very similar.

And just, FTR, I don't think he just leaves and signs a G-League contract.

I could absolutely see something similar to Joe W and Garza, get drafted late 2nd round and sign a 2 way deal then spend most/all of a season in G-League.

I do think it will depend on what he's told by evaluator types. Either way, I hope he does what's best for him and his future.

I would like to see him return. However, If he gets mostly positive feedback, which i expect, then he should play professional basketball. He will get excellent coaching and skill development and IMO a strong possibility to be called up next year even if he doesn't make the NBA roster right away.

I don't think he should leave unless he can get drafted in Rd 1 - which he won't. But next year he might - guaranteed money.

I absolutely get that he can focus entirely on BB in the G League. But does anyone know how much actual personal skills development they receive?

NBA GM's need stars. They need them to put up "star numbers" in pressure situations. Kris hasn't done that yet - he will be just another guy in the G League. At Iowa he will be the focus.

• Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
Potentially. Two ways to get there really. It just depends on whether he thought he could play himself onto the team quickly and excel once he did. There's risk either way. It really comes down to how he thinks he can better impress NBA teams...on their G League squad or in college.

It is a unique situation since NBA teams see his identical twin brother and how good he's gotten given some minutes. An NBA team might take a chance on Kris knowing he has the same potential. Their games are very similar.

My guess is that if he is not told that he's a 1st round pick he will return for one more season at Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT