ADVERTISEMENT

Kris Murray declares for the draft

When you read Kenyan’s posts on the topic, and I’m hoping he chimes in, I doubt the decision comes down to money. If the dream is too play in the NBA and he gets feedback that tells him he can play in the league then he could be gone regardless where they project him to be drafted.

Having said this all signs seem to point to him returning to Iowa and that he’s going through this process to help himself improve and get himself into position to be an NBA player down the road.

It is not accurate to say picks after the 1st round do not get guaranteed contracts.

I never said they don't, eventually.

If you are a first round, top 30 pick, you get a guaranteed contract. All 30 of them.

However, if you are pick #31 or later, you hope that you eventually get a contract. Not everyone does.

Reactions: amahawk
Typical G-league contract is $35,000. Why would you forego free room and board for that?
That is misleading. Kris is brother of a Top5 draft pick with shared DNA and put up really good stats at Iowa even though he didn't start. Kris could be a select levlel player and get $125K. Also if during course of
season he gets called up, then the pay level explodes.

The issue is playing in G-league you play the NBA type game under NBA type coaches vs in college
where you play different styles/coaching. PLayig next year in G-league might elevate his game
a lot more than sticking around Iowa. Seems to have worked for Cook.

The other side of coin is that maybe Kris gets unleashed next year and can have a hear somewhat similar
to Keegan and get himself a guaranteed Big money 1st round contract.

How come PMAC is not testing NBA? Afterall, he was better player than kris accourding to Fran and many on this board?

When you read Kenyan’s posts on the topic, and I’m hoping he chimes in, I doubt the decision comes down to money. If the dream is too play in the NBA and he gets feedback that tells him he can play in the league then he could be gone regardless where they project him to be drafted.

Having said this all signs seem to point to him returning to Iowa and that he’s going through this process to help himself improve and get himself into position to be an NBA player down the road.
Unless somebody does some backroom deal that says we're picking you in the 1st round, this is a no-brainer you return and make them want to draft you in the first round, IMO.

If it doesn't work out, there are plenty of tall people out there doing other things for a good living.

Reactions: DewHawk
So since 90% of the people on here admit they only watch mostly Iowa basketball, go over to SI.com and check out their latest mock draft. Keegan going number 5 by the way. You’d be surprised at the number of comments about a guy being 22 as old. But whatever. And the majority or close to 90% of the picks are Freshmen or early departures. So yes, it does mean something.
Was there a poll I missed or are you just making this stuff up?

Reactions: BBHawk
Whats the equation then?

Explain it please.

What benefits does an 18 year old have over a 24 year old strictly based on age, not talent.

Uh, maybe it has something to do with the fact that he is playing for his father and wants to do so for as long as he can.
That's not the point. Go get evaluated and actually listen to the scouts and front office people and hear what they say about your strengths, weaknesses, etc. It's actually pretty surprising he's at least not going and then of course announcing he's coming back.

That is misleading. Kris is brother of a Top5 draft pick with shared DNA and put up really good stats at Iowa even though he didn't start. Kris could be a select levlel player and get $125K. Also if during course of

The issue is playing in G-league you play the NBA type game under NBA type coaches vs in college
where you play different styles/coaching. PLayig next year in G-league might elevate his game

The other side of coin is that maybe Kris gets unleashed next year and can have a hear somewhat similar

How come PMAC is not testing NBA? Afterall, he was better player than kris accourding to Fran and many on this board?
Do you treat all cancer survivors and their family as dickishly as you treat PMac and his family.

Was there a poll I missed or are you just making this stuff up?
Very few people on here seem to like the NBA. Every time a thread gets brought up we hear all about how they hate the NBA. Yes, you must have missed the poll.

I think Pat needs one really GOOD year to consider moving on. He's showed flashes this season and was in better shape then last year, and obviously the previous one. Its been a long process for his body from the cancer in middle school to high school, and AAU ball and now D1 college. He is certainly progressing. This offseason and next season will say a lot if he can get his body to play at a high level for longer stretches and with more stamina and strength.

After his brother signs his T10 deal he will personally underwrite Kris’s return to college for another year ….F- the G League.

Seriously, some of you people.

Just curious: Is this somehow a different kind of declaration than Keegan made? Somehow reversible where Keegan’s is not?

Just curious: Is this somehow a different kind of declaration than Keegan made? Somehow reversible where Keegan’s is not?

I think Keegan has already hired an agent. Although I still think it's reversible, it just makes it less likely he will return. I think

This is what I’m thinking as well. If I’m Kris and I get a chance to be in the NBA I would jump ship. I believe playing in the G league and being around nba players and former nba players will make Kris a better overall player in the end. Everyone seems to be penciling him in on having a Keegan like season and that is just unfair to Kris. With how the NBA is trending I wouldn’t blame him for leaving. 45% of the nba played in the g league at some point, this is the way to go imo
So the majority of NBA players did NOT play in the G League. Another fun fact: 84.5% of NBA players were on college basketball teams.

I think it’s good for him to get feedback, but to assume that he’ll turn into Keegan in another year is a big leap of faith. When he becomes the focus of other teams D and starts to see some double teams we might not even see a huge increase in production next season.

Also I remember when Cook got feedback and returned initially focusing on trying to do the things he was weak at rather than play to his strengths. It’s not always a plus to be given an evaluation.from the teams point of view.

It could be a long season even if Kris does return. Fans need to get over this idea Kris is going to have the same impact his brother did. They are two completely different people and two completely different players.
I agree with this and would add that while they are identical twins, they have distinct personalities. Kris may not end up being as good as his brother, but he could just as well end up being better. The good thing is that we know he is talented and will help the team next year if he comes back, which I assume will be the case. His position is not an issue on this team. Getting good guards and a center would help more. With Dasonte and Josh already on board, the guard court looks pretty good for next year. Iowa really could use a big, though!

It could be a long season even if Kris does return. Fans need to get over this idea Kris is going to have the same impact his brother did. They are two completely different people and two completely different players.
For anyone to assume that Kris is going to have a season like Keegan just had is completely unrealistic IMO. It was that good. At the same time, it's not unrealistic at all to assume that he would be the most impactful player on the team next year and that his loss would be a blow to their hopes of a successful season.

Very few people on here seem to like the NBA. Every time a thread gets brought up we hear all about how they hate the NBA. Yes, you must have missed the poll.
Just because people on here don't care for the NBA, that doesn't have anything to do with what you stated. You said 90% of people on here only watch Iowa games. I think you just made that up. I believe most people on here watch a lot more college basketball than you are claiming and some watch both college and pro ball.

Last edited:
For anyone to assume that Kris is going to have a season like Keegan just had is completely unrealistic IMO. It was that good. At the same time, it's not unrealistic at all to assume that he would be the most impactful player on the team next year and that his loss would be a blow to their hopes of a successful season.
Of course, but my point still stands.

So Kris has his DNA going for him with the scouts?

Of all the Iowa players who didn’t pan out in the NBA, Jarrod was the most surprising because of his length and shooting ability.
Maybe because my 2 y/o grandson is tougher and stronger.

I always got the impression that he was a weird guy. Not dumb but a real strange personality. Rarely showed any kind of emotion watching the game, just a blank stare into space. His interviews were so terse reporters had to almost electric shock him into responses. Could be shyness, or it could be something worse, but it weird. This not to say he was a bad kid from a citizenship perspective.

He obviously had a ton of skill but I'm guessing the physicality of the NBA was so great that it altered his game, never saw him play pro games.

Thinking of a shared DNA example, Horace and Harvey Grant come to mind as a comparison. The Murray brothers have a ways to go to get there, but I can see some similarities given the positions they play. Admittedly, Ho Grant was more of traditional PF and the Murrays are tweeners.

I don't think anyone is expecting Kris to put up Keegan like numbers next year. But I do think its reasonable to think he will take that next step. And the ball will be in his hands a lot more with Keegan and JBo gone, where he's going to have many more scoring opportunities.

Based on what I have seen/read, It would be a shock if Kris were not back next season.

I agree with this and would add that while they are identical twins, they have distinct personalities. Kris may not end up being as good as his brother, but he could just as well end up being better. The good thing is that we know he is talented and will help the team next year if he comes back, which I assume will be the case. His position is not an issue on this team. Getting good guards and a center would help more. With Dasonte and Josh already on board, the guard court looks pretty good for next year. Iowa really could use a big, though!
waynes-world-and-monkeys-might-fly-out-my-butt.gif

JK. I couldn't resist. ;)

It would be amazing if Kris could be as good as Keegan. Astonishing if he is better!

So Andy more or less agrees with me. With Kris on board this is a top half team. I think it goes without saying that Andy's assuming Fran lands a decent B1G too. 😁

note that he says Iowa is either top 5 or 6 right now based on the 10 they have on scholarship

if they add a HS freshman big, I think that prediction remains the same

if they add Aimaq, a veteran center? i would hope we could be top 4, like last season

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT