ADVERTISEMENT

Labas or May?

Who do you want to see as starting QB for the bowl game?

• Joey Labas

Votes: 96 78.0%
  • Carson May

Votes: 27 22.0%

• Total voters
Whoever can get the job done. We haven't seen either one in game action (or any collegiate action), so does it really matter?

Reactions: amahawk
Why not split the series? Neither have any game action. Now's the time to get it in a low stakes event. Let them show something and have more than just practice to look at when considering their future options.
The franchise has already bought next year's qb through the free agent market.

I have no idea how anyone can effectively weigh in on this. No significant measurable information on either. Flip a coin!

I do find it interesting that all of the sudden it this situation of "May or Labas". I mean....wasn't "Joey" considered the #3 all of this year and last year? Now we have a QB controversy? Makes me a little more confident in what I was thinking all along....Labas is NOT the guy and never was going to be the guy. Clearly there are some significant deficiencies there.

I'll play along though....I wanna see May get the start. Let's see what the kid can do.

"Iowa can use a guy like Joe."
d5fdcff7-d66f-47a5-8f97-4d3fbe538f79_thumb.jpg

A lot of cop-outs in this thread. The question is who do you want to see start. With the oline, odds are we'll see both anyway.

I think it speaks to the boredom most have waiting for the next game/recruit. 🙂
Maybe we ought to be debating who will be the emergency third-string QB. I imagine most fans will be calling for Cooper DeJean. But I wonder if someone like walk-on RB Max White, who I believe played QB in high school, might be more likely.

But again, hilarious to even be debating it.

Reactions: BBHawk
May. Firmly believe he will have Cade to model after. The bowl game will tell a bunch about calmness and not letting nerves get you. Whoever shows poise gets the nod as backup.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I want Labas to start with May getting meaningful snaps too (not just late Q4 handoffs).
I'd have to think that even KF would be smart enough to give both of them meaningful snaps. If one of these guys isn't given a fair chance to prove himself in this game, then he'll likely be in the portal before spring practice, and I wouldn't blame him. Each should have an equal chance to get a jump-start on being the #2.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Maybe we ought to be debating who will be the emergency third-string QB. I imagine most fans will be calling for Cooper DeJean. But I wonder if someone like walk-on RB Max White, who I believe played QB in high school, might be more likely.

But again, hilarious to even be debating it.
Should either get any practice time at QB?

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Both will play. It's an exhibition game. Like the Pro Bowl. Stoops and Kirk should be on the same sideline and Kirk can tell him what defense to throw at his newbies to see how they react to it.

If we get our two guys injured you think Stoops would send Deuce on over to our sideline to help out since he still might know a few of the plays?

Why not split the series? Neither have any game action. Now's the time to get it in a low stakes event. Let them show something and have more than just practice to look at when considering their future options.
The franchise has already bought next year's qb through the free agent market.
I'm not sure that's a good idea. I remember we had a game in 1987 against Tennessee and we had 3 QBs vying for #1: Chuck Hartlieb, Tom Poholsky and Dan McGuire. Hayden played all 3 against Tennessee. It did not go well.. it felt like an exhibition game for us and we lost. Tennessee played the game like it was for the NC (as they should have) and won the game. The interesting thing was that the guy that made the most egregious mistake (pitching the ball to a Tennessee defender for a TD) won the job (Hartlieb). McGuire left and Poholsky got 1 start in 89 before being replaced by Matt Rogers.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. I remember we had a game in 1987 against Tennessee and we had 3 QBs vying for #1: Chuck Hartlieb, Tom Poholsky and Dan McGuire. Hayden played all 3 against Tennessee. It did not go well.. it felt like an exhibition game for us and we lost. Tennessee played the game like it was for the NC (as they should have) and won the game. The interesting thing was that the guy that made the most egregious mistake (pitching the ball to a Tennessee defender for a TD) won the job (Hartlieb). McGuire left and Poholsky got 1 start in 89 before being replaced by Matt Rogers.
Hey, you spelled 2 out of 4 former Iowa QB's names right. 50% ain't bad.

I think KF should do the 1971 Cowboys Morton/Staubach thing and alternate the 2 QB's with each play.

I really want to see Labas to get some confirmation that Iowa's QB recruiting and development isn't a disaster. If Labas was #3 this season hopefully it means he's a halfway decent player. If he's outplayed by a true freshman, that's a problem, and there's some reason to question whether this staff fundamentally knows what they are doing in terms of QB development.

Given that I care very little about the game outcome I have no problem with treating this like an exhibition.
I'm more interested in seeing new players, different plays, scheme changes as tryouts for next season.

Tom also started games in 1986 when Vlasic was injured. Rest in Peace TP

Did May enroll early and go through spring practice?

This article says no:

"May will not be early enrolling at Iowa in January of 2022. When he enrolls in June of 2022, May will join an Iowa quarterback room that consists of scholarship quarterbacks Spencer Petras, Alex Padilla, Deuce Hogan, and Labas. "

Based on all my interactions with the team and all the analysis I have done for these two on the field and and the film room, I can comfortably say that I have no f%#*ing clue who should be or who I want to start.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT