ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas A’s coming soon!

A few of us are going to Vegas in a few weeks and I think we are catching at Aviators game. This excites me for future trips.

Reactions: SIXERS24
The A's hope to break ground for their new stadium in 2024
and open their first season there in 2027. With a retractable
roof they can avoid the extreme heat in Las Vegas. Hopefully
the A's will also spend some money on MLB players for their
team.

Bottom Line: The A's average home attendance in Oakland
in 2022 was 8,283 fans. They needed to move to Vegas.

Last edited:
The A's suck. The organization has made the decision to suck on purpose in order to help drive a narrative to move to another city where sap taxpayers will subsidize a stadium for them.

How much of that $1.5 billion is Vegas supposed to kick in? I assume they gave something for the Raiders stadium. Incredible the cost of stadiums these days. I lived in Minneapolis when the Twins stadium was built a decade ago and I feel like it was 1/3 of that cost, which still seemed insanely high at the time.

It wont work, they should just fold the A's.

The only reason it does in football is because of opposing fanbases.

Bottom Line: The A's average home attendance in Oakland
in 2022 was 8,283 fans. They needed to move to Vegas.
Their attendance is so bad because a) the team has been in perpetual tank mode for decades, and b) they refused to do anything to their stadium that might make it a pleasant place to watch (or play in) a baseball game.

Sad day for me. But inevitable. Spent six years (‘89-‘95) of my childhood living about an hour north of the Bay Area so went to TONS of A’s games (and Giants). Great period to be an A’s fan and been a fan ever since. But their constant sucking and lack of effort to even try and field a competitive team has become tiresome. As some have said, there are reasons their attendance is awful.

Their attendance is so bad because a) the team has been in perpetual tank mode for decades, and b) they refused to do anything to their stadium that might make it a pleasant place to watch (or play in) a baseball game.
I last attended an A's game in person over 20 years ago and it wasn't a terribly accessible place then...unless you were getting there via the BART system and the clientele in, and around, the BART system was something that I think would cause many fans/families to avoid. I don't see where Oakland had any real possibility to improve that scene. A move is probably for the best IMO. I would go see them in LV.

Guess I need to make a trip out west. I know it’s a dump, but I need to cross the park off my list.

Reactions: blhawk
I like the athletics in Oakland but they have to make money.
I love the history of the A's but anywhere but Oakland. Las Vegas would surely be an improvement.
Just like I love my Tampa Bay Rays, but anywhere other than the abomination that is Tropicana field. There cannot be even an intentionally a worse venue for baseball. St Petersburgh is an awesome town but nobody who lives in that area is willing to take that drive for 50-60 times a year. Bite the bullet and get Publix to help build an open air stadium somewhere east of the bay preferably Manatee county.

I just want to point out that it was the Chicago Cubs who heavily influenced this decision.

After a 3-game sweep where they outscored the A’s, 26-3, Dave Kaval made the call that the team simply can’t show its face in Oakland anymore.

I’m sure Kaval scrambled to put this deal together in mere hours after the last out vs the Cubs was recorded.

The A's suck. The organization has made the decision to suck on purpose in order to help drive a narrative to move to another city where sap taxpayers will subsidize a stadium for them.
They should make it into a movie. Maybe a comedy. The storyline writes itself.

I love the history of the A's but anywhere but Oakland. Las Vegas would surely be an improvement.
Just like I love my Tampa Bay Rays, but anywhere other than the abomination that is Tropicana field. There cannot be even an intentionally a worse venue for baseball. St Petersburgh is an awesome town but nobody who lives in that area is willing to take that drive for 50-60 times a year. Bite the bullet and get Publix to help build an open air stadium somewhere east of the bay preferably Manatee county.
Tough proposition when the support hasn’t been there. I would think Montreal is licking their chops. When the Rays see what Vegas does they are going to get aggressive.

Oakland is down now but they have been very good over last 35 years
There was a lot of talk about this during the 3 game series the Cubs just swept in Oakland.
The A's rolled out a bad AAA roster for this series. The other owners should demand an ownership change in Oakland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay... Get owners in who want to win instead of riding on the strength of the other teams.

Vegas is such a pile of garbage too. The lack of water will stop it in its tracks at some point.

No we are not building a pipeline to Lake Michigan so we can keep sprawling.
Developers don't care, and MLB owners don't care. That's a somebody else (The govimint), problem.

There was a lot of talk about this during the 3 game series the Cubs just swept in Oakland.
The A's rolled out a bad AAA roster for this series. The other owners should demand an ownership change in Oakland, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay... Get owners in who want to win instead of riding on the strength of the other teams.

A sports team is a very lucrative investment. I would imagine some of them just try to hold on as long as possible to max their return.

Tough proposition when the support hasn’t been there. I would think Montreal is licking their chops. When the Rays see what Vegas does they are going to get aggressive.
Sternberg has had his sights elsewhere for a long time. Some of it was a bluff to get a stadium approved, some of it was real. Charlotte, Vegas, San Antonio, Montreal, plus others have all been considered since 2007 or so. The Trop lease slowed down a lot of these plans for a number of years, thankfully that concern is pretty much gone now. But the concern re: if you build it, will they come(?), is very real, as Miami has shown.

Personally I don't think a baseball team in the Tampa area will ever consistently draw great crowds, at least not until multiple generations have experienced the highs and lows of fandom. Seems like the majority of the Tampa-area residents are from some city that has had a baseball team for 100 years (NYC/Boston/Chicago/etc.), so they don't support the Rays.

That said, they may not have to, with the big money in tv, and the Rays having decent tv ratings, maybe that's enough to keep them in the area. In any case, the answer to the Rays conundrum is coming very soon. Fascinating stuff.

Reactions: lucas80
As a person who visits Vegas two or three times a year one thing about this bugs me. The arrival of major sports teams in Vegas has really started driving up room costs and the comp offers are becoming more restrictive.
Throw in baseball and costs are only going to get worse, especially with how many games make up the MLB season.
It won't keep me out of Vegas but it changes when I can visit.

Sternberg has had his sights elsewhere for a long time. Some of it was a bluff to get a stadium approved, some of it was real. Charlotte, Vegas, San Antonio, Montreal, plus others have all been considered since 2007 or so. The Trop lease slowed down a lot of these plans for a number of years, thankfully that concern is pretty much gone now. But the concern re: if you build it, will they come(?), is very real, as Miami has shown.

Personally I don't think a baseball team in the Tampa area will ever consistently draw great crowds, at least not until multiple generations have experienced the highs and lows of fandom. Seems like the majority of the Tampa-area residents are from some city that has had a baseball team for 100 years (NYC/Boston/Chicago/etc.), so they don't support the Rays.

That said, they may not have to, with the big money in tv, and the Rays having decent tv ratings, maybe that's enough to keep them in the area. In any case, the answer to the Rays conundrum is coming very soon. Fascinating stuff.
I agree on most if not all of your points. But a stadium on the eastern side of Tampa bay would certainly make it easier to build a fanbase in the region. Hell it takes nearly the same time to drive from Brooksville to Brandon as it does From Brandon to the Trop.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill
Interesting that the stadium capacity is only 30-35k. Guess they can drive up the ticket price and try and make it a desirable event.

With the retractable roof...it's going to be a great spot.

Um, you sure you want to include Tampa Bay in that group? That's probably the best run organization in all of professional sports. Just have a crappy stadium and fan base (which makes it that much more impressive).

Um, you sure you want to include Tampa Bay in that group? That's probably the best run organization in all of professional sports. Just have a crappy stadium and fan base (which makes it that much more impressive).
Yes. The organization is amazingly well run, and has survived having multiple execs and scouts being poached by other organizations. The ownership is running a scam.

I used to travel to Atlanta a couple or three times when Turner Field was there. An easy cruise up I-75 two hotels and a decent bar across the street. But now if I want to see the Braves I have to go Gwinnet county. No thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT