ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas A’s coming soon!

I used to travel to Atlanta a couple or three times when Turner Field was there. An easy cruise up I-75 two hotels and a decent bar across the street. But now if I want to see the Braves I have to go Gwinnet county. No thank you.
I much prefer Truist to Turner. To each their own I guess.

Interesting that the stadium capacity is only 30-35k. Guess they can drive up the ticket price and try and make it a desirable event.

With the retractable roof...it's going to be a great spot.
perfect size for baseball

It’s funny that the A’s have the largest MLB stadium today and will probably have the smallest in Vegas. Although still a major upgrade.

Reactions: MitchLL
Just asking but isn't the Oakland coliseum the last of the true multi purpose venues left?
One of the stipulations of the raiders moving back to Oakland from LA was for “Mount Davis” to be built - picture a 3-level grandstand being built in the Wrigley outfield. It blocked the picturesque view of the city from the stadium, and is completely empty for A’s games (even when they filled the rest of the stadium). How the A’s agreed with that situation is inexplicable. The city/lease must have had them by the balls. They’ve been trying for a new stadium for years, but Oakland has not complied. Like others have said, the city of Oakland (much like San Diego) got what they deserved.

Life long A's fan here. Not news i wanted, but not unexpected. Only teams that have won more World Series are Yankees and Cards.
Iowa Oaks were Triple A affiliate of A's at the beginning of A's 5 Year division title run and 3 consecutive World Series titles. Sad what is happening right now. It was great being a A's fan in early 70's.

Hopefully Nevada/ Las Vegas doesn't give in with public money. The A's need Vegas more than Vegas needs the A's

Hopefully Nevada/ Las Vegas doesn't give in with public money. The A's need Vegas more than Vegas needs the A's
$380 million approved today.
Does MLB have to approve the stadium plan? I’ve heard as small as 30,000.

Last edited:
So I see ESPN has posted an article that Philadelphia Phillies' OF Bryce Harper is bemoaning the move as unfair to A's fans given the deep history.

I guess he means like 5 WS championships and 9 AL championships. Oh, sorry, that was the Philadelphia A's, who were moved to Oakland after 50+ years and won more than the Oakland iteration of the franchise.

Irony, thy name is Bryce.

• Haha
Reactions: lucas80
MLB owners are assembling for their annual meetings, and a vote on relocating the A's should come tomorrow. It seems notable that they are projected to play in a 30,000 seat stadium.
https://apnews.com/article/oakland-as-relocation-las-vegas-530bb1475a95e9c435947d5b44033225
35000 and under will be the future. They understand the demand isn’t there anymore to support 40 thousand plus. They can generate th same gate revenue with fewer fans and just charge them more.

35000 and under will be the future. They understand the demand isn’t there anymore to support 40 thousand plus. They can generate th same gate revenue with fewer fans and just charge them more.
Oh, depending on the market the demand is there. It's just a matter of building a stadium with a second deck that has lower priced seats, or designing and building a new stadium featuring tons of suites and box seats and a small pen of bleacher seats that can be shown on TV as a fun place to hang out.

I used to travel to Atlanta a couple or three times when Turner Field was there. An easy cruise up I-75 two hotels and a decent bar across the street. But now if I want to see the Braves I have to go Gwinnet county. No thank you.

Cobb County, but I understand the point. The added distance straight up 75 makes for a much longer trek if traveling from south of the city.

So I see ESPN has posted an article that Philadelphia Phillies' OF Bryce Harper is bemoaning the move as unfair to A's fans given the deep history.

I guess he means like 5 WS championships and 9 AL championships. Oh, sorry, that was the Philadelphia A's, who were moved to Oakland after 50+ years and won more than the Oakland iteration of the franchise.

Irony, thy name is Bryce.
Philadelphia A’s moved to Kansas City in 1954…from there, they moved to Oakland in about 1968 or so…..in KC they were used primarily as a Yankee farm club but when they moved to Oakland, they had the base of their championship team in place. The first MLB game I ever watched in my life was there in 1955……In 1956 I attended a game there at old Municipal Stadium, watched #9 hit one over the right field fence and became a Red Sox fan from that day forward.

Spent six years of my childhood in Sonoma County just north of the Bay Area. Went to tons of A’s and Giants games. Lived there from ‘89-‘95 so saw a lot of good baseball. Sad to see the A’s leave.

What a mess. The San Fran Giants had a big hand in it too. Now they get the entire Bay Area market to themselves.

That’s a lot of money for a small stadium. $1.5B/35k seats/81 games/10 years puts the average tix price at ~$53.

Obviously this assumes 10 years of straight sellouts*, assumes average tix price of $53, just 81 games (excludes playoffs) and that’s just to recoup the $1.5B, not the interest or other expenses paid with the tix income.

*real sellouts, not the make believe Nebraska sellouts where they sell tix for $0

Do the LV A’s some way, somehow fall into the Iowa TV market so the MLB can blackout another team for Iowan’s? Would that be 7 teams? Twins, Brewers, Cubs, White Sox, Cardinals, Royals?

Oakland loses the Warriors in 2019, the Raiders (for the second time) in 2020 and now the A's in a few years.

I wonder what it must be like for folks who have lived there forever and have been a big fan of all those teams their entire lives. Just sad. I wonder how many mayors have come and gone over that time.

That’s a lot of money for a small stadium. $1.5B/35k seats/81 games/10 years puts the average tix price at ~$53.

Obviously this assumes 10 years of straight sellouts*, assumes average tix price of $53, just 81 games (excludes playoffs) and that’s just to recoup the $1.5B, not the interest or other expenses paid with the tix income.

*real sellouts, not the make believe Nebraska sellouts where they sell tix for $0
Gameday concession and souvenir receipts are massive. Need to take that into account too. I think for every MLB game I go to I spend more on beer and food than I do on the actual tickets.

This whole thing is an utter disaster. The only productive way out of this mess is for the A’s to be sold to knew ownership that might be something approaching vaguely competent. Either find a way to stay in Oakland or come in with a much, much better relocation plan. A’s fans are alienated. Other owners don’t seem energized about the move. Vegas seems pretty “meh” on the whole thing. As-is, it’s going to fail.

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
Nah this will work, A’s fans don’t matter here. What matters is the 25k fans that’ll come down for 3 days a year from each fanbase to fill hotel rooms and pretend that they care enough about baseball to buy tickets to games. They’ll get a local tv contract because it’s the hometown team and all of LA’s population that got priced out will pretend they’re A’s fans until the dodgers come to town, just like they do in Phoenix.

This whole thing is an utter disaster. The only productive way out of this mess is for the A’s to be sold to knew ownership that might be something approaching vaguely competent. Either find a way to stay in Oakland or come in with a much, much better relocation plan. A’s fans are alienated. Other owners don’t seem energized about the move. Vegas seems pretty “meh” on the whole thing. As-is, it’s going to fail.
You need to listen to her entire statement on this, she makes perfect sense. The A's are leveraging Vegas to get what they want in Oakland, or at least trying to.

You need to listen to her entire statement on this, she makes perfect sense. The A's are leveraging Vegas to get what they want in Oakland, or at least trying to.
I did. I think this ownership group has burned too many bridges in Oakland and they don’t have the leverage they think they have.

Reactions: lucas80
Nah this will work, A’s fans don’t matter here. What matters is the 25k fans that’ll come down for 3 days a year from each fanbase to fill hotel rooms and pretend that they care enough about baseball to buy tickets to games. They’ll get a local tv contract because it’s the hometown team and all of LA’s population that got priced out will pretend they’re A’s fans until the dodgers come to town, just like they do in Phoenix.
Of course the A’s fans don’t matter. The TV deal wouldn’t be an elite one. This *could* absolutely work in either Oakland or Vegas, but does anyone really think this ownership group is suddenly going to spend if they move to Vegas or get a stadium in Oakland? If they’re not going to spend, they’re just going to go from being a crappy, low-budget product in Oakland to maybe a mediocre product in Vegas where there are a million other things to do than go to baseball games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT