ADVERTISEMENT

Las Vegas A’s coming soon!

I did. I think this ownership group has burned too many bridges in Oakland and they don’t have the leverage they think they have.
I was talking about from the Vegas perspective. It's not that Vegas doesn't want the A's, they are just smart enough to see this for what it is. They're being used as leverage so the A's get what they really want.

I was talking about from the Vegas perspective. It's not that Vegas doesn't want the A's, they are just smart enough to see this for what it is. They're being used as leverage so the A's get what they really want.
Yep. I think Vegas would do much, much better with either an expansion team or a relocation that actually has some realistic and productive infrastructure. If Tampa or Miami moved to Vegas, you’d have a pipeline of young talent to splash and use to build. An expansion team would have fresh, presumably motivated ownership looking to make a splash and fans the excitement of something brand new.

The A’s would just be a turd the city would try to polish a bit.

Interesting comments from the mayor of Las Vegas. Not exactly a warm embrace for the owner.

You need to listen to her entire statement on this, she makes perfect sense. The A's are leveraging Vegas to get what they want in Oakland, or at least trying to.
Oakland has put forth several stadium deals and Fisher has tanked all of them. He’s now trying to put a domed stadium on a lot that is too small for one. There is no parking, so he’s counting on tourists to fill the stadium.
He’s a moron. A rich moron.

A’s should shop around.

Montreal or Nashville might be better
MLB should step in and force a sale, or negotiate on the stadium. Oakland and Vegas have given him good deals. As it is the lease expires for the current stadium in Oakland after this season and the A’s do not have a place lined up to play.

There is plenty of parking in Las Vegas, you just don't see it from the strip
I’ve read several articles that have said this is an issue. Just a guess that much of the parking near the proposed stadium is private, or not easily walkable to the stadium. It looks like you have MGM and the ice arena across the street. So, maybe some public and some private. Walkways across 1-2 major streets would need to be built, and what if the Knights and A’s are both at home?
The overriding theme is the owner has not put in the effort to satisfy the city. Either city.

Interesting developments about the move. The A's are back negotiating with Oakland about extending their lease for whatever that stadium is called, and apparently Oakland is playing hardball. Good for them, even demanding the name and colors when the team is moved.
The owner is a moron. He's got no stadium set up in Las Vegas, he alienated. Oakland, and he's begging to play in Oakland or face playing in a minor league stadium, which would cost him dearly money wise.
https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/oakland-athletics-fans-team-playing-coliseum/

The Athletics Baseball Club, commonly known as the Oakland Athletics or simply the A's, boasts a rich and storied history dating back to its founding in 1901. Originally based in Philadelphia, the team has since established itself as one of the most iconic franchises in Major League Baseball (MLB). In this essay, we will explore the six key phases of the Athletics Baseball Club's illustrious history.

**Founding and Early Years (1901-1954):** The Athletics Baseball Club was founded in 1901 as one of the eight charter members of the American League. Under the ownership of Connie Mack, the team quickly rose to prominence, winning multiple championships in its early years. Led by legendary players such as Eddie Collins, Jimmie Foxx, and Lefty Grove, the Athletics became known for their dominance on the field and their innovative strategies.

**The Philadelphia Dynasty (1910s-1930s):** The 1910s and 1930s marked a golden era for the Athletics, as the team captured multiple World Series titles and established itself as a powerhouse in MLB. During this time, the Athletics boasted one of the most talented rosters in baseball history, with Hall of Fame players like Al Simmons, Mickey Cochrane, and Lefty Grove leading the way. The team's success on the field and its larger-than-life personalities made it a beloved institution in Philadelphia.

**Relocation to Kansas City (1955-1967):** In 1955, financial difficulties forced the Athletics to relocate to Kansas City, Missouri. Despite initial excitement surrounding the move, the team struggled both on and off the field during its tenure in Kansas City. Despite this, the Athletics continued to produce standout players like Roger Maris and Bert Campaneris, laying the groundwork for future success.

**Return to Prominence in Oakland (Late 1960s-1970s):** In 1968, the Athletics moved to Oakland, California, where they experienced a resurgence under the ownership of Charles O. Finley. With a talented roster that included Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter, and Rollie Fingers, the Athletics became a dominant force in MLB once again, winning three consecutive World Series titles from 1972 to 1974. The team's success on the field and its colorful uniforms and personalities made it a fan favorite in Oakland and beyond.

**Rebuilding and Revival (1980s-1990s):** Following their championship run in the 1970s, the Athletics experienced a period of rebuilding and transition in the 1980s and 1990s. Despite this, the team continued to produce standout players like Rickey Henderson and Mark McGwire, and it remained competitive in the American League West division. The Athletics' commitment to player development and innovative strategies laid the foundation for future success.

**Modern Era and Continued Success (2000s-Present):** In the 2000s and beyond, the Athletics have continued to be a competitive force in MLB, despite operating with one of the lowest payrolls in the league. Under the leadership of general manager Billy Beane, the Athletics have embraced a data-driven approach to player evaluation and team-building, known as "Moneyball." This approach has allowed the team to consistently compete against larger-market franchises and remain relevant in the postseason conversation.

In conclusion, the Athletics Baseball Club has left an indelible mark on the history of Major League Baseball, from its early dominance in Philadelphia to its modern-day success in Oakland. With a legacy of championships, Hall of Fame players, and innovative strategies, the Athletics Baseball Club continues to be a source of pride for fans and a symbol of excellence in the world of professional sports.

I'd say the chance of the A's ever playing a game in Las Vegas are about 10% right now. That numbnuts owner needs to sell the team, and then the new regime can arrange a stadium deal in Oakland or Sacramento.

I have doubts about long-term support of the Raiders and Golden Knights in Vegas, much less a baseball team playing 81 home games a year.

I'd say the chance of the A's ever playing a game in Las Vegas are about 10% right now. That numbnuts owner needs to sell the team, and then the new regime can arrange a stadium deal in Oakland or Sacramento.

I have doubts about long-term support of the Raiders and Golden Knights in Vegas, much less a baseball team playing 81 home games a year.
I was going to say 50/50. My guess is they go to Sacramento and squat there until they hat a stadium. He can’t sell the team with this much dysfunction on the stadium front.

There is plenty of parking in Las Vegas, you just don't see it from the strip
Just popped into this thread, and I agree, they'll be plenty of parking.
Imagine that nearly half of all people attending games are probably going to be tourists.
So they're using Uber/Lyft/taxi to and from and don't have cars.
Plus...the old Hooters is a dump and probably gets torn down.

Manfred is demonstrating that he shouldn't be the Commissioner between this debacle, the Royals getting embarrassed in their pursuit of a stadium subsidy, whatever failure he's allowing the White Sox to attempt with its stadium, and the debacle with the tv contracts.

I guess congrats on the collective bargaining deal that resulted in Bellinger and Snell getting shorter deals while Ohtani and Yamamoto took in a billion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT