ADVERTISEMENT

Last night, Feb 26, Jack McCaffery made it clear he won't be attending Iowa

I'm not so sure about that. But either way it's irrelevant.

The team pulled together, made winning plays in key moments (including the offense), and played better ball that lead to 4 straight crucial wins
Every time the offense didn’t turn the ball over, it was like scoring a touchdown those last three games of the season!

And there you have it keyboard warriors. Your insatiable negativity does have an effect and can in fact hurt the team you supposedly support.

Iowa is missing out on a good player. Hope you all are proud of yourselves
Hate to break it to you - every fanbase in America has keyboard warriors. This is our world - social media - anyone can say anything. You think this is specific to Iowa? There are fan bases way more toxic than Iowa fans. In fact - Iowa in general - from the school to the fans are more patient than many fan bases. At many other schools Fran would have been ousted a few years ago… We’re all Iowa fans. We all support Iowa. If a kid doesn’t come to a particular school because of negative social media posts - well then that kid is not playing college sports - anywhere.

Negative fan discourse is an issue with any passionate fan base. The sons should be smart enough to not let it get to you. Their lives revolved around a game, and they show know the most obnoxious voices don’t count for the collective opinion of a fan base.

Plenty of sensible fans appreciated Connor. But sometimes the negativity surrounding Patrick’s minutes came with some truth. He can be great in some stretches but his weaknesses on defense and renbounding seem to make him better suited for providing scoring off bench.

I totally understand reasoning to do his own thing, not potential have his playing time questioned by any conflict of interest. Just leave the negativity from some fans out of it, it doesn’t deserve anyones time. Everyone show know that working for a dad, or playing under your dad is going to require thicker skin.

The potential interest in Ohio State is interesting.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Hate to break it to you - every fanbase in America has keyboard warriors. This is our world - social media - anyone can say anything. You think this is specific to Iowa? There are fan bases way more toxic than Iowa fans. In fact - Iowa in general - from the school to the fans are more patient than many fan bases. At many other schools Fran would have been ousted a few years ago… We’re all Iowa fans. We all support Iowa. If a kid doesn’t come to a particular school because of negative social media posts - well then that kid is not playing college sports - anywhere.
He just doesn't understand this. He says he does....but he really doesn't. I'm not going to interact with him anymore. I don't care for the whining, complaining, and negativity he is constantly throwing at the Iowa fan base. Add in the fact that he publicly stated he is "better" than other fans....well, that's the clincher.

Be prepared for a long winded rebuttal. If you're lucky, he might even call you an idiot for having a different opinion!

Last edited:
He just doesn't understand this. He says he does....but he really doesn't.

Be prepared for a long winded rebuttal. If you're lucky, he might even call you an idiot for having a different opinion!
of course, and there’s also fans in every fan base that will cross the line and make personal attacks.

imo, that happened with Connor and Patrick at times.

Good talk dad...

National Lampoons Vacation Clark Griswold GIF

Reactions: Rustys Dad
Negative fan discourse is an issue with any passionate fan base. The sons should be smart enough to not let it get to you. Their lives revolved around a game, and they show know the most obnoxious voices don’t count for the collective opinion of a fan base.

Plenty of sensible fans appreciated Connor. But sometimes the negativity surrounding Patrick’s minutes came with some truth. He can be great in some stretches but his weaknesses on defense and renbounding seem to make him better suited for providing scoring off bench.

I totally understand reasoning to do his own thing, not potential have his playing time questioned by any conflict of interest. Just leave the negativity from some fans out of it, it doesn’t deserve anyones time. Everyone show know that working for a dad, or playing under your dad is going to require thicker skin.

The potential interest in Ohio State is interesting.
Good post.

When you are the coach's son, you are going to come under more scrutiny than the other players (if you are getting significant playing time-not so much if you barely play). Maybe that's not fair, but that's just the way it is, and it's not unique to Iowa.

Jack (in my opinion), doesn't want to face the added scrutiny. He is not being "run off" by a toxic, negative fanbase.....he wants to make his own way. I applaud him for that. Everything he earns will be based on his accomplishments, and not because his dad is the coach.

of course, and there’s also fans in every fan base that will cross the line and make personal attacks.

imo, that happened with Connor and Patrick at times.
If there were personal attacks, I don't think there were that many....every fan base has a few knuckleheads. I don't consider criticism of play to be a personal attic, like some on this board do (not you).

If he goes elsewhere, good luck

If it's in the B1G, we're coming for blood. That's just the way the ball bounces.

If there were personal attacks, I don't think there were that many....every fan base has a few knuckleheads. I don't consider criticism of play to be a personal attic, like some on this board do (not you).
Evidently there were enough that It bothered Jack, social media in general can be a dark place at times, and I don’t follow any players specifically so idk what got said in their feeds.

have seen it hear at times, and from fans at games on occasion as well.

Haha yourself. He got it down there.
So he threw a pass that ended up in a jump ball where guys collided and knocked each other out of the play and it deflected to Joe W in the corner. Hell I think the last touch was either Bear or a Rutger’s guy. Carry on!

I wonder if the baggage of mom and dad is keeping schools from going after him. No coach is going to want to deal with those two when their son isn't getting the playing time they think he deserves.

Reactions: LukaDuka
I wonder if the baggage of mom and dad is keeping schools from going after him. No coach is going to want to deal with those two when their son isn't getting the playing time they think he deserves.

I think all coaches deal with the parents. Maybe they farm it off more to assistants at D1 level, but they hear from mommy & daddy if junior isn't playing enough... not like high school, but I'd bet it happens.

I think all coaches deal with the parents. Maybe they farm it off more to assistants at D1 level, but they hear from mommy & daddy if junior isn't playing enough... not like high school, but I'd bet it happens.

But these two are not your normal mommy and daddy. Especially if coaches already have a relationship with the McC's. Other than Ohio St, wouldn't you think other B10 teams would be somewhat interested, maybe someone like Northwestern.

But these two are not your normal mommy and daddy. Especially if coaches already have a relationship with the McC's. Other than Ohio St, wouldn't you think other B10 teams would be somewhat interested, maybe someone like Northwestern.
you're correct. I think Creighton would be a good landing spot for Jack.

you're correct. I think Creighton would be a good landing spot for Jack.
He’s not just going to be handed playing time because of his last name there. It’ll be a different dynamic for the family. And you think G McDermott wants to deal with all the extra stuff that comes along with it?

He’s not just going to be handed playing time because of his last name there. It’ll be a different dynamic for the family. And you think G McDermott wants to deal with all the extra stuff that comes along with it?
If I was a coach, I'd either need to be comfortable telling the McC's to back off or Jack would need to be that important to the success of the team.

Dude Iowa fans are actually tame compared to say Bama or TO$U football fans & Kentucky or Kansas basketball fans. Ferentz and McCaffery would have been fired within the first 5 years at those schools with their expectations. Most people I know that have any kind of success in life do not tolerate moral victories. Losing should not be ok at the college level, it's going to happen but nobody should be ok with it.
Such a bad take, and coming from a guy who can’t stand Brian. Fran took over possibly the worst Power 5 program in the country and a year later had a winning record. You can argue he’s not done well in the tournament, but to say he would it should have been fired early is insane. Same with Kirk. Had us in the Orange Bowl in year 5 or so? We could keep chasing coaches like Minnesota or Indiana in all sports. How’s that gone for them the last 15-20 years? Be realistic.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo
Such a bad take, and coming from a guy who can’t stand Brian. Fran took over possibly the worst Power 5 program in the country and a year later had a winning record. You can argue he’s not done well in the tournament, but to say he would it should have been fired early is insane. Same with Kirk. Had us in the Orange Bowl in year 5 or so? We could keep chasing coaches like Minnesota or Indiana in all sports. How’s that gone for them the last 15-20 years? Be realistic.
I was getting at we give our coaches time. whereas, them schools don't.

Reactions: littlez
I’d guess that most schools assumed he would follow in his brother’s footsteps. Now that he’s publicly said that’s not the case this Summer would be big for him. He seems highly skilled but not very twitchy or super athletic. Kind of a tweener between a mid and high major.

Well his son played for him, so he does understand the dynamic. Not that it matters & yes he will have to earn his time wherever he ends up.

Well his son played for him, so he does understand the dynamic. Not that it matters & yes he will have to earn his time wherever he ends up.
His son also was the best basketball player in the history of the school and transformed the athletic future of the school by being one of the main reasons they got into the Big East.

Playing wise, both Brian and James were all-big 10 players.

coaching career worked differently for Brian obviously, but as players it’s hard to be negative for those two.
I think being linemen helped immensely for them. Could you imagine if KF had a son who played for him and was a QB?... that thought is terrifying!

• Sad
Reactions: sober_teacher
I think the position plays a huge factor in football as to fan scrutiny. A QB is much more visible on the field than a lineman. In basketball a player can touch the ball on every possession and play awful D, more eyeballs are on them.

We have seen how KF has handled QB's, can you imagine the loyalty to the player if it was son.

Reactions: littlez
I think the position plays a huge factor in football as to fan scrutiny. A QB is much more visible on the field than a lineman. In basketball a player can touch the ball on every possession and play awful D, more eyeballs are on them.

We have seen how KF has handled QB's, can you imagine the loyalty to the player if it was son.
KF played his 2 sons that were talented enough and did not play his son who was not talented enough. I think he would have handled it fine if he had a talented enough QB as a son.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Jack says he's not going to attend Iowa....Well, let's just wait and see. If his Dad is still coaching and Margaret is still heavily involved with the program, he might still change his mind. I would hope the McCaffery's raised a tough minded son. I thought Connor handled it appropriately. Patrick might just have let it affect him too much given everything else he went through, but we don't even know that for a fact. Anyway as the saying goes, "There's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT