ADVERTISEMENT

Last night, Feb 26, Jack McCaffery made it clear he won't be attending Iowa

Like it or not a man died because Jack hit him with his car. His father's job almost certainly played a part in how little that incident ended up affecting Jack in terms of legal considerations locally as well as how little it was in the news. Yes Connor and Patrick have had their turns being criticized unfairly by fans and the media bur they also both spent more time starting for Big Teams where their performance didn't match the trust and minutes they received. That meant other players didn't get those shots or the time on the floor to develop. Jack seems like a great kid and he most certainly didn't intend to kill someone bur he did. A man died. Many others have been convicted of manslaughter in similar situations and that wasn't even a consideration because of his last name. Their dad's job is why any of them have had the latitude they have had on and off the court. Not to.msntion of course Margaret whose.temper is well.known. curious how many people have a spouse whose temper is known at their job and were able to keep their job?

Is that expressed better?

The kid got a free pass for killing a guy because he was in a hurry/not careful/inexperienced driver---he should get out of town and try to put that behind him and do something positive with his life. A mistake doesn't define a person's life but how he reacts to it does,. Hopefully he and the family have more contrition than their public statement that the accident was "unavoidable."

Reactions: ClarindaA's
LMAO….Really…..Connor was the best passer on the team. Extremely low turn over to assist. Kept the floor balanced, ran the offense, played four different positions as needed, and willed the team late in games on numerous occasions. You miss so much of what actually transpires in the game when you just watch the ball…..ding ding ding.
You can lmao all you want, if Connor was any good he'd still be playing b-ball somewhere,not going straight into coaching. There were a bunch of the Fans that used to post about how Connor was a MLB prospect and going to be great PG at Iowa....he couldn't hit the ball very well in Baseball so that didn't work out, and in B-ball he was too slow to play PG so he was point forward at Iowa.

Sixth year CMAC was okay because he shot 33% from 3, so teams didn't leave him unguarded. The 5th year version was so-so, but FRan had a rule that there had to at least always be one of his boys on court, sometimes, two, never zero. The 4th year version of him that only shot 22% from 3 and started over Keegan Murray and averaged 3.3 pts only started because his Dad was coach and could get away with it at Iowa.

The legend of CMAC.. most celebrated 4.5 ppg scorer in history of Iowa B-ball. The "hate" isn't hate, CMAC good kid----just shouldn't have played so many minutes with so little talent. Somehow he's made into a martyr for those that rail against anyone that complains about obvious nepotism/favortism by Fran.

Another of my favorites, I laughed my butt off when this happened live.
HLZwuO.gif
Watching that clip reminds me of watching the South African Springboks Rugby Team step towards the New Zealand team at the '95 Rugby World Cup as the All Blacks performed the traditional Haka. Message: "Bring it. We Aren't intimidated." Oh, and the Springboks won the match!

You do realize there are negative fans of EVERY team, don't you? And this has been the case as long as there has been organized sports.

Congratulations on your holier-than-thou attitude. Good for you. Now.....go to message boards for every other team and lecture their fans about how they should act. That negativity bothers you and it needs to stop.

No, I don't like it when some people are over the top negative. Yes, I have been negative at times when I felt there was a reason. I also give praise.

You seem to think fans should just keep their mouths shut and accept things as they are. I have a clue for you: it has never been that way and never will be. Coaches are paid millions of dollars....players are now getting paid...fans are gonna express their opinions.

Hurt the team? Iowa isn't affected any more than any other team. Does a McCaffrey kid get more criticism than other players? Of course they do. That comes with the territory when you play for your dad. IT HAPPENS EVERYWHERE. Remember Lickliter's son? He sure was the target of a lot of negativity (and still is, on occasion).

No, excessive negativity is not good. But it is never going away. If it bothers you that much, I suggest staying away from social media or sports altogether. Perhaps find another team that has no negative fans. Good luck with that. Guess what: you can support your team and still complain about some things.

And yes....I know what your "point" is. Don't act like you are better than everyone else. You're not.
I don't care what happens at other schools. Although I am a proponent of peace on earth, the negativity in itself is not what bothers me. As a matter of fact, in the competitive world of sports, I would prefer that the athletic communities of Iowa's opponents are as toxic as possible.

What I don't appreciate is excessive and unnecessary negativity directed at the team I root for, for the simple reason that it could potentially affect their performance and cause them to be less successful. Will the negativity have an effect? Most likely not. But it's possible; and the effect won't be a positive one.

I assume everyone wants the Hawks to be the most successful as possible; partially due to the selfish reason of being more fulfilled as a fan. Habitually negative fans and fans that contribute an already present toxicity are essentially engaging in self- sabotage. It makes no sense at all

• Sad
Reactions: ddeanHawk
I don't care what happens at other schools. Although I am a proponent of peace on earth, the negativity in itself is not what bothers me. As a matter of fact, in the competitive world of sports, I would prefer that the athletic communities of Iowa's opponents are as toxic as possible.

What I don't appreciate is excessive and unnecessary negativity directed at the team I root for, for the simple reason that it could potentially affect their performance and cause them to be less successful. Will the negativity have an effect? Most likely not. But it's possible; and the effect won't be a positive one.

I assume everyone wants the Hawks to be the most successful as possible; partially due to the selfish reason of being more fulfilled as a fan. Habitually negative fans and fans that contribute an already present toxicity are essentially engaging in self- sabotage. It makes no sense at all
Actually no. Didn’t you hear about the players rallying around Brian Ferentz after he was canned?!? In reality, nothing changed. The offense was still one of the worst in big ten history and we couldn’t score against ranked teams. But at least there was a rallying cry against such unwarranted negative criticism towards Brian!

Reactions: 83Hawk

Fans of Iowa are no different and no more negative than fans of other schools/teams.

I guess I'm not sure what you think you are expecting to accomplish by constantly complaining, or how/why you expect Hawk fans to be different than other fanbases.

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Good for him. As you will see/read, he's very mature & has thought it through. I hope he kicks ass wherever he ends up.

The story from the Cedar Rapids Gazette:

Jack McCaffery’s future does not include Iowa

Iowa City West forward is considered the top junior in the state, but he does not want to play college ball for his dad at the University of Iowa

Jeff Johnson

Jeff Johnson
Cedar Rapids Gazette
Feb. 26, 2024 7:27 pm, Updated: Feb. 26, 2024 7:48 pm

West’s Jack McCaffery (22) shoots during a substate semifinal game between Iowa City West and Davenport North at West High School in Iowa City, Iowa on Friday, Feb. 23, 2024. (Nick Rohlman/The Gazette)

IOWA CITY — Jack McCaffery was asked Friday night after his Iowa City West team had won its Class 4A substate semifinal game if he still wasn’t planning on playing college basketball for the University of Iowa.

“Oh, no, no, no,” he said.

The 6-foot-8 forward is widely considered the top player in the state in the junior class, a top 100 recruit nationally. He’s the youngest son of Hawkeyes men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery.

But he created a bit of a stir around these parts last summer when he told a recruiting reporter he didn’t want to stay in Iowa City for college and play for his dad. He didn’t want to follow his brothers Connor and Patrick to Iowa.

He was asked Friday night why he felt that way.

“It was really hard for my brothers, and it was really hard for my mom (Margaret),” Jack said. “The fans, they were especially tough on Connor, because a lot of people don’t understand how he affects a basketball game. So that was part of it. He’s a coach on the floor, the all-time wins leader. I don’t know ...

“I saw that, and I didn’t like that. I just wanted to try something different.”

So instead of dealing with negative keyboard warriors and such, he will — as Fleetwood Mac sang — go his own way.

“Blaze my own path, do something different than my brothers did,” Jack said. “I just wanted to see what it’s like. I really like the (recruiting) process that’s happening right now, the coaches that are recruiting me. I think it’s the right decision for me. I think doing something different will really help me.”

McCaffery goes into West’s substate final game Tuesday night against Bettendorf at the Alliant Energy PowerHouse averaging 15.9 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 1.8 blocked shots per game. All those numbers lead the Trojans.

He has a long body that has added weight and strength the past year, has a nice fadeaway jump shot. He feels he’s definitely a better player who still has room to grow physically and in his game.

“I’m up to 218 (pounds), so the weight is a big difference,” McCaffery said. “Last season, teams were just way too physical (for me), and I couldn’t do anything. So I feel definitely like that’s the biggest thing. I feel like I’m jumping better, a lot better. I’ve really worked on my athleticism. I got a summer of lifting (weights) three times a week, and during the season I’ve been lifting two times a week.

“I feel that’s been a big help for my game. Then it’s really working on my ball-handling. I feel like I can create my shot a lot better than a year ago. So I just feel like all those things put together are going to help me be a lot better player.”

So what schools have piqued McCaffery’s interests the most to this point? He mentioned Butler, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech.

A decision will not be coming soon. He’ll let things play out this spring and summer, likely take some official visits in the fall.

“I really love Butler. I’ve visited it twice,” he said. “I was there last Saturday, and Hinkel (Fieldhouse) was rocking. I love Coach (Thad) Matta, he’s one of my favorite people. (Assistant) Coach (Alex) Barlow and Coach (Maurice) Joseph have really been recruiting me well. Coach (Jon) Diebler. So I feel like that’s a good place right now.

“Ohio State was on me hard until that whole thing (Coach Chris Holtmann was fired) just happened. I really like Wake Forest. Coach (Steve) Forbes was here, then his assistant came, so that was good. Those are probably the main three.”

Seventh-ranked West (18-3) shoots for its first state tournament trip since 2020 on Tuesday night when it plays Bettendorf (16-6). Bettendorf’s Caden Wilkins is one of the top seniors in the state.

Comments: jeff.johnson@thegazette.com

Well, OK.

The Connor/Bohannon days as guards were a rocky road to watch for 5 years. Both had big holes in their games and were fortunate to play with some players that could carry a team. They don't compare to this year's guard court. IMO

You can lmao all you want, if Connor was any good he'd still be playing b-ball somewhere,not going straight into coaching. There were a bunch of the Fans that used to post about how Connor was a MLB prospect and going to be great PG at Iowa....he couldn't hit the ball very well in Baseball so that didn't work out, and in B-ball he was too slow to play PG so he was point forward at Iowa.

Sixth year CMAC was okay because he shot 33% from 3, so teams didn't leave him unguarded. The 5th year version was so-so, but FRan had a rule that there had to at least always be one of his boys on court, sometimes, two, never zero. The 4th year version of him that only shot 22% from 3 and started over Keegan Murray and averaged 3.3 pts only started because his Dad was coach and could get away with it at Iowa.

The legend of CMAC.. most celebrated 4.5 ppg scorer in history of Iowa B-ball. The "hate" isn't hate, CMAC good kid----just shouldn't have played so many minutes with so little talent. Somehow he's made into a martyr for those that rail against anyone that complains about obvious nepotism/favortism by Fran.

Baseball didn’t work out because he’d dealt with hip and leg injuries that sapped his mobility as much as anything.

He’s also become the poster child for people that want to bash Fran. Keegan’s freshmen year idk that he got robbed of minutes by all that much; soph year obviously that wasn’t an issue.

You can argue some years at least he played more minutes than he

Imagine thinking Twitter comments or message board opinions (lol) has any bearing on the program.. wait excuse me, the "temperature of the community". Lol.. give me a break.
Imagine believing that the quality of an environment doesn't have an effect on the life within it.

Iowa is losing out on a top 100 player that from his own mouth said is because of his experience with the fan base.

Iowa lost a hall-of-fame coach in Lute Olson because he didn't enjoy the fishbowl community that is Iowa athletics. There wasn't necessarily excessive negativity. But nonetheless, the quality of the environment wasn't for him. And his point that Iowa athletics is a fishbowl community is correct. So guess what can happen with negativity in a fishbowl community?

It's reasonable to assume that the number of dropped passes last football season was in part due to pressure. Sure a player experiences a standard amount of internal pressure to succeed. And a standard amount of pressure comes along with playing football and trying to win. I do think at a point though an extra level of pressure kicked in just to try to jumpstart a bad offense. And it was also my impression that at times the players seemed to be under even an extra level of pressure than that. Guess where that came from.

Collective thought has always been how the world changes. Really, this is all common sense. How many of you are rushing to move to Gary, Indiana? But some fans will never be accountable because for some reason they think it's their duty and God given right to tear down the team that they supposedly support

• Haha
Baseball didn’t work out because he’d dealt with hip and leg injuries that sapped his mobility as much as anything.

He’s also become the poster child for people that want to bash Fran. Keegan’s freshmen year idk that he got robbed of minutes by all that much; soph year obviously that wasn’t an issue.

You can argue some years at least he played more minutes than he
Fran has enough images of himself out there to be the poster child of Fran

You really don't want the fan base to be so complacent that ugliness like what happened at PSU and MSU prevails locally.

Nepotism is a serious situation and like it or not there have been other concerns raised.

"It was really hard for my mom"........

Shocking.
I can see Marge now, a stay at home mom who played high level D1 basketball & a knows it all attitude with nothing but time on her hands.... spending countless hours reading message boards about her boys. Mama sits down to dinner fuming mad about all the negative comments about her little boys and rants and raves in front of the kids about how bad the fans are.... lmao.

Angry Fan GIF

woman middle finger GIF by Cheezburger

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Actually no. Didn’t you hear about the players rallying around Brian Ferentz after he was canned?!? In reality, nothing changed. The offense was still one of the worst in big ten history and we couldn’t score against ranked teams. But at least there was a rallying cry against such unwarranted negative criticism towards Brian!
The team rallying around Brian did indeed help them play better.

And they rallied around him because he was getting let go; not because of fan negativity. And fan negativity had very little at all to do with BF getting let go

• Haha
Fans of Iowa are no different and no more negative than fans of other schools/teams.

I guess I'm not sure what you think you are expecting to accomplish by constantly complaining, or how/why you expect Hawk fans to be different than other fanbases.
How many times do I have to say I don't care what goes on at other schools?

What matters to me is the chance that a toxic environment can hurt Iowa, the team that I root for.

Just because it happens everywhere doesn't make it right. Iowa fans have the choice to behave differently

Imagine believing that the quality of an environment doesn't have an effect on the life within it.

Iowa is losing out on a top 100 player that from his own mouth said is because of his experience with the fan base.

Iowa lost a hall-of-fame coach in Lute Olson because he didn't enjoy the fishbowl community that is Iowa athletics. There wasn't necessarily excessive negativity. But nonetheless, the quality of the environment wasn't for him. And his point that Iowa athletics is a fishbowl community is correct. So guess what can happen with negativity in a fishbowl community?

It's reasonable to assume that the number of dropped passes last football season was in part due to pressure. Sure a player experiences a standard amount of internal pressure to succeed. And a standard amount of pressure comes along with playing football and trying to win. I do think at a point though an extra level of pressure kicked in just to try to jumpstart a bad offense. And it was also my impression that at times the players seemed to be under even an extra level of pressure than that. Guess where that came from.

Collective thought has always been how the world changes. Really, this is all common sense. How many of you are rushing to move to Gary, Indiana? But some fans will never be accountable because for some reason they think it's their duty and God given right to tear down the team that they supposedly support
What in the actual **** are you talking about? Disgareeing with Fran's complete overusage of connor, or thinking they have thin-skin when it comes to ONLINE COMMENTS does not equal "tearing down the program you supposedly support". That's such a douchebag thing to say. That's the problem with holier than thou insufferable people like you... if you don't blindly support something 100% of the time, then you're some sort of hater traitor.

And again we're talking about online comments from an incredibly small sector of nameless people.., not the "iowa city fishbowl" and certainly not at a fanbase or program level.. that's laughable. We're talking about ONLINE COMMENTS that could easily be ignored. A large majority of people i meet in the REAL WORLD always loved Connor and Patrick. I guarantee 99.9% of all the things they consider hate towards them are online related. You think he's getting hated on in public? He's dating caitlin clark for christ sakes!

This is all so stupid. Now write your 14 page response so you can sleep tonight.

What in the actual **** are you talking about? Disgareeing with Fran's complete overusage of connor, or thinking they have thin-skin when it comes to ONLINE COMMENTS does not equal "tearing down the program you supposedly support". That's such a douchebag thing to say. That's the problem with holier than thou insufferable people like you... if you don't blindly support something 100% of the time, then you're some sort of hater traitor.

And again we're talking about online comments from an incredibly small sector of nameless people.., not the "iowa city fishbowl" and certainly not at a fanbase or program level.. that's laughable. We're talking about ONLINE COMMENTS that could easily be ignored. A large majority of people i meet in the REAL WORLD always loved Connor and Patrick. I guarantee 99.9% of all the things they consider hate towards them are online related. You think he's getting hated on in public? He's dating caitlin clark for christ sakes!

This is all so stupid. Now write your 14 page response so you can sleep tonight.
calm down, take it easy...

Calm Down Love And Hip Hop GIF by VH1

• Haha
Reactions: Bro D

What is it that you're talking about? Clearly nothing related to what I was talking about

Lute left because he like to rebuild things. Tuscon a lesser fishbowl...at the time maybe, but how did it go for him eventually?

Dropped passes from the Hill?

How old are you anyway? You mention Lute, but maybe you heard about the accident? Even with no fault, who in their right mind would stay with that. The other issue is the family I am sure was impacted by the Barnstormer fiasco. Those probably have more validity. Not every kid wants to stay around where idiot basketball parent make idiots of themselves.

I watched Jack at a game this year. What impressed me the most was his passing and court leadership. He was constantly calling out info to his team while on the court. His shot looks good, but it didn't appear he is an elite shooter. As far as shooting, I believe his fade away shot is is best.

In the only game I saw, he did lose his composure and was given a T. This only happened after Fran and Margaret were complaining. IMO, Fran was at Francon 5-6. West was in the lead and him swearing at the ref was not called for, the game was essentially decided.

Frans swearing at high school refs? Lolololo

I’m ok with him not coming to Iowa. I’d be ok with his dad moving on, too. Zero Sweet 16s in his 15 or whatever seasons it’s been, with the talent he’s had in some of those seasons? Time for a change… and I like Fran.

Reactions: coorsoriginal02
We lost that game vs Richmond because we shot 20% from 3. oregon was a bad matchup for us across the board.

im not, nor have I ever said that Connor was a great play, just that he was effective at running the offense.

Connor was never a prolific scorer.
No, it was a phenomenal matchup for Garza. He scored at will in that game. That was probably the easiest matchup of his life.

Iowa still scored 80 points and only lost by 15 while getting zeros from the starting guards.

If iowas guards could have managed to only get outscored 0- 47 instead of a nearly unbelievable 0-63 iowa would have won.

All Fran had to do was sacrifce some offensive efficiency for defense that year, (more Toussaint/Perkins/Keegan/Kris) and that could have been an all time great team.

No, it was a phenomenal matchup for Garza. He scored at will in that game. That was probably the easiest matchup of his life.

Iowa still scored 80 points and only lost by 15 while getting zeros from the starting guards.

If iowas guards could have managed to only get outscored 0- 47 instead of a nearly unbelievable 0-63 iowa would have won.

All Fran had to do was sacrifce some offensive efficiency for defense that year, (more Toussaint/Perkins/Keegan/Kris) and that could have been an all time great team.
Garza is the only position you could say had a great matchup. With how Oregon wanted to run and gun, that got negated to an extent.

And yeah - you could say that about offense/defense on several occasions for Fran.

How many times do I have to say I don't care what goes on at other schools?

What matters to me is the chance that a toxic environment can hurt Iowa, the team that I root for.

Just because it happens everywhere doesn't make it right. Iowa fans have the choice to behave differently
I think you just want to pass yourself off as being "better" than everyone else. HINT: You're not.

As for you crying about how toxic and mean Iowa fans are.....perhaps social media isn't for you. Or maybe Iowa isn't the team for you. Perhaps you should seek a team that has fans that never complain or criticize. Good luck in your search!

I think you just want to pass yourself off as being "better" than everyone else. HINT: You're not.

As for you crying about how toxic and mean Iowa fans are.....perhaps social media isn't for you. Or maybe Iowa isn't the team for you. Perhaps you should seek a team that has fans that never complain or criticize. Good luck in your search!
eyesofhawk is Maggie McCaffery.... maybe?? lol

Karen GIF by moodman

Perhaps it isn't just social media and message boards.

Again, Hawkeye sports is part of the daily conversation in my workplace and it's not at all uncommon for me to hear people repeat something that's been posted on this board almost verbatim.

Two seasons ago in football (the 8-5 season) I recall a three week span in which (other than my own) I did not hear one positive comment about the football team. I'm talking in the community; not online. That's absolutely terrible.

This site probably makes up the largest section of the Hawkeye community other than the student body.

What I'm saying is very easy to understand. When the level of negativity in a community has become toxic it cannot possibly help a team. Why contribute to it? You guys just refuse to admit when you are wrong

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ycusi
Garza is the only position you could say had a great matchup. With how Oregon wanted to run and gun, that got negated to an extent.

And yeah - you could say that about offense/defense on several occasions for Fran.
Oregon was not this unbeatable team. They ran into an iowa team that couldn’t defend and Oregon got crushed in the sweet sixteen by USC.

Reactions: RocknRollface
And there you have it keyboard warriors. Your insatiable negativity does have an effect and can in fact hurt the team you supposedly support.

Iowa is missing out on a good player. Hope you all are proud of yourselves
I know he doesn't have "the best" awareness... I mean I was never a high school sports phenom but I could navigate a cross walk or residential intersection with the average of them. The city will be a safer place when he is gone.

• Wow
Reactions: LukaDuka
The team rallying around Brian did indeed help them play better.

And they rallied around him because he was getting let go; not because of fan negativity. And fan negativity had very little at all to do with BF getting let go
They averaged 10 pts a game after the Minnesota game......

Reactions: Roncuba55
I actually disagree with this. That team needed to play slower being so efficient on offense. Should have played like the Wisconsin team with Kaminsky that was extremely efficient on offense which made them really hard to beat. But of course Fran can only coach one way. Agree with your comment if it's referring to the team that lost to Richmond. Play Kris and Toussaint over Connor and Bohannon and that team doesn't lose to Richmond.

LMAO….Really…..Connor was the best passer on the team. Extremely low turn over to assist. Kept the floor balanced, ran the offense, played four different positions as needed, and willed the team late in games on numerous occasions. You miss so much of what actually transpires in the game when you just watch the ball…..ding ding ding.
This.

Connor did all the "little" things and was a leader on the floor.

I was never a critic of Connor...Patrick is another matter entirely.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
Oregon was not this unbeatable team. They ran into an iowa team that couldn’t defend and Oregon got crushed in the sweet sixteen by USC.
Where did I say they were unbeatable? Just that they were a bad matchup for Iowa with their speed on the frontcourt and our guards largely couldn’t keep up with them.

It also wasn’t helpful that they were the only team that advanced via forfeit and had that added adrenaline rush of their first tourney game.

I think we all want to be dominant in all the sports. When people point out negative features, the Pollyanna people push back hard, somehow, with their heads seemingly in the sand, Then the realists are like, the negative guys are correct, but we still love Iowa. But that’s not good enough for the Pollyanna group, who feels if your a fan, never a negative word or keystroke should leave your body. It just creates more negativity

Reactions: 83Hawk and Bro D
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT