ADVERTISEMENT

Last weekends recruits

I was saying the worst type of sports fan is the fan who only posts negativity and criticisms, and never posts comments of praise or recognition of any of the positive news (the signings/commitments of Lee, Warner, Cassioppi, Lugo, etc, etc.).

I agree with your general criticism that PSU is so far winning the 2018 recruiting class war. Just disagree with your sole focus of negativity on this forum.
im as happy as anyone about Lee and warner. Cass looks to have upside and Lugo could improve in a better room.

Stop and think though....are we any closer to beating PSU, tOSU, Okie st, Cornell(2 top 5s coming in like us) ASU is very top heavy, mizzou fields good teams, but will probably drop off ect.

From where I'm sitting we're still stuck in the pack hoping for things to go right to get a trophy.

im as happy as anyone about Lee and warner. Cass looks to have upside and Lugo could improve in a better room.

Stop and think though....are we any closer to beating PSU, tOSU, Okie st, Cornell(2 top 5s coming in like us) ASU is very top heavy, mizzou fields good teams, but will probably drop off ect.

From where I'm sitting we're still stuck in the pack hoping for things to go right to get a trophy.

Next season will be rough with some very significant holes in the lineup. It's looking like the 2018-2019 lineup will be filled with talent and a lot of title contenders (although many will be young). I think from that season onward Iowa becomes a real team title threat again.

? I was responding to Mike. Reread the quote chain before you go off.

Yeah, I can see that, and I stand behind my comments. You've been calling people out for "not loving" our recruits. You always say Lee, Warner, Cass, Kem, Marinelli etc. but the issue is with etc. There needs to be names there and you can't fill in that blank. That's the issue. There isn't a single Hawkeye fan alive that's not over the moon about those guys and anyone else that rolls around in CHA training like madmen, so to call people out for that is ridiculous. I just know first hand that there have been some instances in the past where we have completely dropped the ball and it is happening (so far) with another recruit.

At the end of the day, I have zero beef with you. We are both diehard Hawk fans and contributing to the same goal. However, like Mike said, Iowa is not synonymous with mediocrity.

Reactions: Mattski
Your the reason we are where we are. Brands wasn't held accountable because your all too blind to see that he wasn't prepared to recruit against the others.....and spoiler alert we're falling further behind

I would argue Brands was held accountable and changes have been made and he's started to land more blue chip recruits that people were calling for. Go reread the forum posts from 2 years ago. It was filled with Brands/recruiting criticism. Brands even publicly commented on his recruiting failures and the changes that were being made and more concerted effort on the staff's part.

I definitely don't think we're falling further behind. I think we're closing the gap.

We all know PSU has an incredible program right now. There program isn't going anywhere. There going to continue to get elite recruits year after year. Iowa is starting to get elite blue chip recruits of our own and on paper, I can see us knocking them off within the next few seasons if we can continue to land the types of recruits we have coming in.

No one saw Cassioppi coming. It's still very, very early in the 2018 recruiting season. I expect a few more big recruits to surprise us. I really hope we land Hidlay.

You always say Lee, Warner, Cass, Kem, Marinelli etc. but the issue is with etc. There needs to be names there and you can't fill in that blank. That's the issue.

Well the etc. would be guys like Meija, Lugo, Murin

Two seasons from now (2018-2019):

125 Spencer Lee
133 Justin Meija
141 Max Murin
149 Pat Lugo
157 Michael Kemerer
165 Alex Marinelli
174 Kaleb Young
184 Please Hidlay
197 Jacob Warner
Hwt Sam Stoll/Anthony Cassioppi

I see this as a title contending team. They'll be young, but that is a damn good lineup. That's a potential 10 AA lineup with multiple champs.

Ideally we land a few more big recruits in the 2018 class.

The positive and negative angles on this subject are both valid. On the whole, I'm very positive, however. The ride back to the top isn't going to be without its bumps. Other programs will land top recruits, as well, etc. But we're headed squarely in the right direction.

Many positive things have happened in recent months, with the HWC and with the Iowa program. I'd say there's a level of enthusiasm within and around the program well beyond the days of our 3-championship run around 2010. Big things are ahead.

The HWC is currently undergoing a complete overhaul. Perry's hire was fantastic, but it was just the first piece of the puzzle. Once the new, well-oiled HWC "machine" is in place, it will be capable of much more. We'll have more senior-level phenoms in the room, the Hawks will have even stronger workout partners, and recruiting will surge all the more.

Within a few years (hopefully just a couple), we'll have the top wrestling facility in the nation. This will make every day that much better for the folks in the HWC and for the current Hawks, but it will also help attract even more elite recruits.

We were just barely missing on some of the very best recruits in the nation before any of this positive stuff started to happen. Once we're firing on all cylinders, I expect us to land a much higher percentage.

I want all of this stuff to happen this week, but as we all know, you can't build a great mullet in a day. It will take some time, but believe me -- folks are working hard to make it happen as quickly as possible. And I have every confidence that it will.

As a rival fan, it's both scary and exciting to see what Iowa is doing! ITVIH beat me to it with his posted lineup, but that's kind of what I was thinking to post in response to the "who else?" question...

If you're focused on Lee, Kem, Marinelli, Warner, and Cass and a cast of Murin, Lugo, Young, and possibly Mejia aren't enough in your mind to look like a title contending team, then you're crazy! Last year, PSU got a total of 4.5 points (I'm pretty sure on that - 125, 133, 141) from 3 weight classes and still ran away with it! If You can get 4-5 finalists and 3-4 AA's, you're more than capable of taking it all and that lineup looks like a threat to make that happen.

Add that to the amazing fundraising efforts going on, the addition of Perry (who brought in Delgado already and likely Imar is sure to follow after graduation), and the success of Gilman...all things are looking great in Hawkland! Like I said to open the post - scary, but exciting! To imagine having 3 (or more if Okie St, Cornell, or someone else keeps up) lineups that are capable of putting up astronomical points at NCAAs in tOSU, Iowa, and PSU sounds like it oughtta make for some really epic tourneys!

125 Spencer Lee
133 Justin Meija
141 Max Murin
149 Pat Lugo
157 Michael Kemerer
165 Alex Marinelli
174 Kaleb Young
184 Please Hidlay
197 Jacob Warner

I see this as a title contending team. They'll be young, but that is a damn good lineup. That's a potential 10 AA lineup with multiple champs.

That's an impressive line up. That line up most certainly puts us in the conversation. I see 4 potential finalists....and potentially 6 more AA I think your right spot on.

I think you need to 2 more hammers as I see others being able to put out deep lineups as well

Most of us are confident that's why we bring the Boom $$$$$$$$. We gotta keep bringin the dough so it's happening sooner.
Talk of Worlds coming to Iowa City right? That to me says a lot about our culture and the direction we are headed.
*Super Plus* It has only been three months since we started this crowdfunding via Randy Man.
A lot has happened to say the least.

I didn't say it's the best situation, but if you think Hidlay will come in and take Wilcke's spot at 84 as a TF or even a RSFR then your dreaming. Kollin Moore wa #81 in his class behind Wilcke and Holloway and look what he has done the last two years.
I dont think you appreciate the talent and potential of Hidlay and you are certainly putting way too much stock in Wilcke if you think Hidlay won't be the better wrestler by his rsfr year much less what he will likely accomplish by the time he's done.

it's this kind of crap that makes brands consider bringing in pd3,you have to have a good foundation before you build the house.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
it's this kind of crap that makes brands consider bringing in pd3,you have to have a good foundation before you build the house.
It's not crap. It's playing devils advocate. The minute everyone thinks things are perfect ppl become complacent. Hence what got us in a hole.

I think TNT are the best room coaches in the country. They seem to have picked up recruiting(enough...we will c?).

One thing I'm really excited about is Perry teaching them to score from the top position or in some cases a defensive position. Bonus points will help us "close the gap".

Reactions: Bkcntry-Hawk
Seems like the same conversation on multiple threads. From people speculating on how high a guys ceiling without any real data other then high school rankings, to others trying to talk reason to the unreasonable. We are not all going to agree. None of us like anything other then 10 national champs and 1st place. Yes F#n U, killed it in recruiting. Who really knows how, maybe some for free and others paid elsewhere, they are located in wrestling central out east...nobody on here knows the definite truth.

All I know is that were are near the top with moderate recruiting, now we have upped our recruiting and I am excited to see what is going to happen with these guys in our room as I have watched the results with moderate guys. 2018 is far from in the books...

If someone can tell me why Cael can get 5 top pfp in 2018 but we can't get one that'd be great.
Is it he's just that much better at recruiting? Does he get out and work harder? Or is it something else?

That is a question many have wondered about. It isn't just Iowa's problem. Every university is way behind Cael's PSU in terms of top 10 p4p recruits.

Possible theories include:

Fertile recruiting grounds (PA)
Creative finances
Successful propaganda (PSU is f***, Iowa has robots who push - a
theme pushed ad nauseum on themat and elsewhere).
Success breeds success - Cael joins PSU with Ruth, Q, and Molinaro,
already there and brings in Taylor, Cyler, Brown, with a great early
recruit class.

May be a combination of all of the above or something else?

I would argue Brands was held accountable and changes have been made and he's started to land more blue chip recruits that people were calling for. Go reread the forum posts from 2 years ago. It was filled with Brands/recruiting criticism. Brands even publicly commented on his recruiting failures and the changes that were being made and more concerted effort on the staff's part.

I definitely don't think we're falling further behind. I think we're closing the gap.

We all know PSU has an incredible program right now. There program isn't going anywhere. There going to continue to get elite recruits year after year. Iowa is starting to get elite blue chip recruits of our own and on paper, I can see us knocking them off within the next few seasons if we can continue to land the types of recruits we have coming in.

No one saw Cassioppi coming. It's still very, very early in the 2018 recruiting season. I expect a few more big recruits to surprise us. I really hope we land Hidlay.
Those posts 2 years ago (and longer) were mostly getting met with the same responses these are now. I was among the first to post about the need for blue chips and got blasted for it as did others. Mike is right, Lee, Warner, Marinelli, Kem, Cassio are all great starts, but the teams we're chasing aren't slowing down.

Seems like the same conversation on multiple threads. From people speculating on how high a guys ceiling without any real data other then high school rankings, to others trying to talk reason to the unreasonable. We are not all going to agree. None of us like anything other then 10 national champs and 1st place. Yes F#n U, killed it in recruiting. Who really knows how, maybe some for free and others paid elsewhere, they are located in wrestling central out east...nobody on here knows the definite truth.

All I know is that were are near the top with moderate recruiting, now we have upped our recruiting and I am excited to see what is going to happen with these guys in our room as I have watched the results with moderate guys. 2018 is far from in the books...
Yes, others have made great strides in wrestling ... and absolutely, we want and expect national championships ... Agree we have upped our game ... and one thing no other program can touch ... the passion of Iowa fans when it comes to wrestling ... We'll always be a top 5 program. Right now a few others are having their moment but Iowa is in mighty good hands and I think exciting times are ahead.

Those posts 2 years ago (and longer) were mostly getting met with the same responses these are now. I was among the first to post about the need for blue chips and got blasted for it as did others. Mike is right, Lee, Warner, Marinelli, Kem, Cassio are all great starts, but the teams we're chasing aren't slowing down.
62634598.jpg
Maybe a little much but it's a message board and by definition a place for discussion. Seems if you aren't completely positive your full of shat

Mike. I get what you are saying, at least to some extent. If PSU keeps getting the recruits that they are, they will always be tough to beat. Very tough to beat. But unbeatable?, hell no. At least not to the extent that we were in the 80's and 90's. But then again, I dont think anyone will ever approach that again.

I dont think anyone on this board wants to be mediocre and I AM SURE no one in the Iowa room wants to be mediocre. But then again, we aren't. We have been a very good team the past 6 or so years beaten each year by a better team(s). Now to Iowa fans that may make us mediocre compared to our past. Perceptions of course are relative to our history. I know you understand this and I dont need to say more.

With that said, with the past two recruiting classes, do I think we are closer to catching up with PSU? Hell yeah I do. Especially when you consider the fact that Kemerer and S Lee could have both ended up in the PSU rather than ours. Are we there yet? 2017 no. 2018-2020? Time well tell.

BTW. 20 years ago, if someone would have told me I would be saying "iowa catching up" to anyone, I would have thrown up in my mouth. But the fact is that everyone is playing catch up with PSU right now, not just us. It isn't easy to hear that or think it, but its the situation right now. I do however think that if we keep recruiting to the level of the last two classes, that Iowa and PSU can make it a two dog fight each year, where fOSU and OSU etc are the teams playing catch up.

I appreciate and love your passion and I would much rather have a fan that wants more rather than a complacent fan being satisfied. I do however think we have the kids in the fold now to knock PSU off in a year or two, but permanently?, that is a tough request.

GO HAWKS!!

I think Tarp has it right. We are trailing, but gaining momentum and need to keep pushing. Things look a lot better than they did 4 months ago. I like the way our lineup is coming together, we just need to get a couple of studs at 133 and 184. PSU is doing the right thing by grabbing top guys and then hoping it sorts out. It has in the past for them. But even if doesn't, it blocks recruits from committing or transferring to Iowa or fOSU.
Still, they can only wrestle 10 guys and will have questions about the lineup...

Does Suriano stay?
The best college weight for Suriano, Teasdale and RBY might be 133, so how do they fit from 125-141? (could there be another Gulibon pushed up to 141?)
Wittlake looks good, but is his best college weight really 184 (he wrestled 170 last year)?
Beard looks good, but is his best college weight really 197 (he wrestled 182 last year)?
Can Berge make 149 on 1-2 hour weigh-ins? If yes, where does Verkleeren fit? If no, where does Joe Lee fit?
Where does Manville fit? Busiello?

This year is a transition year for us, next year we are a title threat again (PSU will be favored though) and things get really interesting in the 2019-2020 season.

Ok, finally, got it. A whiteboard war 3 years out just for f*n.
Iowa wins 125, Lee over Suriano, Iowa 3-0
PSU wins 133, Teasdale over Meija, 3-3 (need a top 133, but Meija is coached up here)
PSU wins 141, N Lee over Murin/Turk/Happel, PSU 6-3
Iowa wins 149, Lugo over Berge, 6-6
Iowa wins 157, Kemdog over J Lee, Iowa 10-6
Iowa wins 165, Bull over Joseph, Iowa 13-6
PSU wins 174, Hall over Young, Iowa 13-10 (need Hidlay here or at 184)
PSU wins 184, Wittlake over Wilcke/Wlson, 13-13 (need Hidlay here or at 174)
Iowa wins 197, Warner over Beard, Iowa 16-13
PSU wins 285, Nevills over Cassioppi, 16-16

Last edited:
I think the point is we NEED to keep up with "those guys" and continue to get the top 10 talent. Hidlay and Teasdale fit the mold even if we have Wicke there - WHO might need up at 97 anyways. Get the talent in the room and let the guys wrestle for the spot BUT to keep pace we need elite recruits.

Why would we need Wilcke up at 197? We have Warner...

Good Christ, you just listed both ASU and Mizzou in this rant.

For someone "as happy as anyone," neither your posting history nor your posts in this thread demonstrate any of it.

Like someone else posted, you are about a month and a half too early for this shtick.

I think Tarp has it right. We are trailing, but gaining momentum and need to keep pushing. Things look a lot better than they did 4 months ago. I like the way our lineup is coming together, we just need to get a couple of studs at 133 and 184. PSU is doing the right thing by grabbing top guys and then hoping it sorts out. It has in the past for them. But even if doesn't, it blocks recruits from committing or transferring to Iowa or fOSU.
Still, they can only wrestle 10 guys and will have questions about the lineup...

Does Suriano stay?
The best college weight for Suriano, Teasdale and RBY might be 133, so how do they fit from 125-141? (could there be another Gulibon pushed up to 141?)
Wittlake looks good, but is his best college weight really 184 (he wrestled 170 last year)?
Beard looks good, but is his best college weight really 197 (he wrestled 182 last year)?
Can Berge make 149 on 1-2 hour weigh-ins? If yes, where does Verkleeren fit? If no, where does Joe Lee fit?
Where does Manville fit? Busiello?

This year is a transition year for us, next year we are a title threat again (PSU will be favored though) and things get really interesting in the 2019-2020 season.

Ok, finally, got it. A whiteboard war 3 years out just for f*n.
Iowa wins 125, Lee over Suriano, Iowa 3-0
PSU wins 133, Teasdale over Meija, 3-3 (need a top 133, but Meija is coached up here)
PSU wins 141, N Lee over Murin/Turk/Happel, PSU 6-3
Iowa wins 149, Lugo over Berge, 6-6
Iowa wins 157, Kemdog over J Lee, Iowa 10-6
Iowa wins 165, Bull over Joseph, Iowa 13-6
PSU wins 174, Hall over Young, Iowa 13-10 (need Hidlay here or at 184)
PSU wins 184, Wittlake over Wilcke/Wlson, 13-13 (need Hidlay here or at 174)
Iowa wins 197, Warner over Beard, Iowa 16-13
PSU wins 285, Nevills over Cassioppi, 16-16

But where in that lineup is Hoffman, Roman Bravo Young, Manville, Verkleeren, Busiello, and the soon to commit kids?

But where in that lineup is Hoffman, Roman Bravo Young, Manville, Verkleeren, Busiello, and the soon to commit kids?

Hoffman is going to tOSU. Redshirts will help some of the logjam. As for the rest, 1st world problems.

Rider posted an epic looking dual meet. Should be f$#.

Reactions: rider976
Good Christ, you just listed both ASU and Mizzou in this rant.

For someone "as happy as anyone," neither your posting history nor your posts in this thread demonstrate any of it.

Like someone else posted, you are about a month and a half too early for this

ASU potentially has a very good lineup with some heavy hitters that could score points.

Sorry praise Iowa. Go hawks. All is well

ASU potentially has a very good lineup with some heavy hitters that could score points.

Sorry praise Iowa. Go hawks. All is well

This is precisely the point, you had to go out of your way, below where your complaints even were to claim this, all while complaining about Iowa.

125 Spencer Lee
133 Justin Meija
141 Max Murin
149 Pat Lugo
157 Michael Kemerer
165 Alex Marinelli
174 Kaleb Young
184 Please Hidlay
197 Jacob Warner

Multiple champs? Lee will be a RS freshman and most likely the only threat. As that lineup matures there may be enough fire power to finish right behind PSU instead of several spots behind, but not in 2018-19.

2018-19
Nolf, Joesph, Hall, Nickal and Nevills are still competing. Suriano, also - probably.

Multiple champs? Lee will be a RS freshman and most likely the only threat. As that lineup matures there may be enough fire power to finish right behind PSU instead of several spots behind, but not in 2018-19.

2018-19
Nolf, Joesph, Hall, Nickal and Nevills are still competing. Suriano, also - probably.

You're beginning to sound worried. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT