ADVERTISEMENT

Lester's Salary

They were going to give Chryst more too, he just turned the job down for other reasons. I don't think Iowa was going to pay an OC $2 million a year but they would have been more than fine getting up into the $1.5-1.7 million range.

Also $1.25 isn't even a low OC salary they certainly could have gotten Johns for similar to what Lester is making.
Yep.

I think that I read that Deacon Hill was signing a deal with Golden Corral as his official training table partner, so the savings from Lester’s deal can be used specifically for snacks and dessert.
Deacon and John Pinnete going through the buffet line. Wouldn’t that be a sight to behold? You go now, you both be here four howa.

All Big Ten LT now. Stacked at RB. Stacked at TE.
Yes, you are correct but the hawks still need a much , much improved passing game to spread defenses out. Then the running game will be better. the last two years the running game has been a fair number of negative or zero yard carries and avging about 3.2 to 3.5 yards per carry. Need to make defenses get down to 6 in the box and maybe even 2 Lbkrs.

The old hawk offenses that could throw the ball well avgd close to 5 yards per carry, at least 4.5, with very few negative yardage runs. If they can get to that then there are big plays, long chain moving drives, TDs rather than FGs.

After playing Ill St we will know a lot because the hawks have been struggling to score against these lesser teams but if they score 35+ that will be a good sign

Yes, you are correct but the hawks still need a much , much improved passing game to spread defenses out. Then the running game will be better. the last two years the running game has been a fair number of negative or zero yard carries and avging about 3.2 to 3.5 yards per carry. Need to make defenses get down to 6 in the box and maybe even 2 Lbkrs.

The old hawk offenses that could throw the ball well avgd close to 5 yards per carry, at least 4.5, with very few negative yardage runs. If they can get to that then there are big plays, long chain moving drives, TDs rather than FGs.

After playing Ill St we will know a lot because the hawks have been struggling to score against these lesser teams but if they score 35+ that will be a good sign
I hope Proctor can elevate the play of the others on the O Line. I am sure Proctor learned what it takes at Bama and probably a lot of loud verbal reminders from Saban et al.

Reactions: uihawk82
Deacon and John Pinnete going through the buffet line. Wouldn’t that be a sight to behold? You go now, you both be here four howa.
You’d probably get funny looks at Golden Corral if you didn’t spend four hours there.
I liked Pinette’s bit about taking NyQuil in the kitchen as well.

LMFAO, remember when Iowa reached out to the likes of Grubb and Ludwig...I suppose they were low ball offers? Your source was qualified as wrong when Phil got a 1.9 million dollar contract, and an assistant coach got 1 mil.
My source was an All American at Iowa , He only quoted the OC position budget as of 3 weeks ago which is post Chryst and any others who were pipe dreams I posted the same Day I emailed with Him , I did not ask about any other Staff salaries like Phil or any other positions and I never quoted other staffs numbers He told Me they wanted to not exceed 1.25M as of what He had heard recently , He also last Year was correct on the big recruiting Weekend on the exact number of Guys committed before it leaked which I shared, He is better source than 99% of the People on this board have including half of the so called media , You are really an insufferable bunch seriously , People try to get good info and get sharpshooters coming out of the woodwork . I will keep what I hear to Myself going forward. Lastly did You geniuses ever put 2 and 2 together and surmise maybe the dollars that they offered higher profile OCs went into Phil and Seth raises which lowered the amount allocated for the OC ? But that is conjecture on My part .

Last edited:
It was also reported that the AD didn’t see direction in the program with Lester at the helm
Wonderful….so thumbs down from WMU AD, but thumbs up from The Captain…💩 He actually sounds like he would have been a solid QB coach at a lower salary , oh well. If he can work some magic with a healthy Cade and having a better OL…I guess there is hope.

My source was an All American at Iowa , He only quoted the OC position budget as of 3 weeks ago which is post Chryst and any others who were pipe dreams I posted the same Day I emailed with Him , I did not ask about any other Staff salaries like Phil or any other positions and I never quoted other staffs numbers He told Me they wanted to not exceed 1.25M as of what He had heard recently , He also last Year was correct on the big recruiting Weekend on the exact number of Guys committed before it leaked which I shared, He is better source than 99% of the People on this board have including half of the so called media , You are really an insufferable bunch seriously , People try to get good info and get sharpshooters coming out of the woodwork . I will keep what I hear to Myself going forward. Lastly did You geniuses ever put 2 and 2 together and surmise maybe the dollars that they offered higher profile OCs went into Phil and Seth raises which lowered the amount allocated for the OC ? But that is conjecture on My part .
I can see your point about the salary load shifting to the defensive coaches. Plus, Iowa doesnt have to pay top money for an OC if they dont want to. There are a lot of qualified OC's making less than $500K who would love to coach at Iowa for $1 Mill. And Iowa can live with incremental gains on offense for the first couple of years. If the new OC is great then pay him more.

Reactions: ichawk24
Wonderful….so thumbs down from WMU AD, but thumbs up from The Captain…💩 He actually sounds like he would have been a solid QB coach at a lower salary , oh well. If he can work some magic with a healthy Cade and having a better OL…I guess there is hope.
Maybe WMU AD isn’t the smart one?

Reactions: doughuddl2
Maybe WMU AD isn’t the smart one?
Well, there is at least some evidence to this being the case. Having his record in front me, it does seem ridiculous he was fired. That is probably better than Matt Campbell’s record at ISU?

Under Lester

6-6
7-6
7-6
4-2
8-5
5-7
(Lester fired)
4-8

Edit:

It is indeed better than Matt Campbell’s record at ISU. Lester won 54% of his games at WMU(4th best in program history,) and Campbell has won 52% of his games at ISU. Admittedly, it’s probably tougher to win at ISU than it is at WMU.

Last edited:
Well, there is at least some evidence to this being the case. Having his record in front me, it does seem ridiculous he was fired. That is probably better than Matt Campbell’s record at ISU?

Under Lester

6-6
7-6
7-6
4-2
8-5
5-7
(Lester fired)
4-8

Edit:

It is indeed better than Matt Campbell’s record at ISU. Lester won 54% of his games at WMU(4th best in program history,) and Campbell has won 52% of his games at ISU. Admittedly, it’s probably tougher to win at ISU than it is at WMU.
and Campbell's last 3 years (18-20) are worse than the last 3 Lester had before being fired. (17-14)

If someone like Brian can earn 700-800K, then someone with actual OC/HC experience and was actually a QB deserves at least 300K more. Just glad they didn't match Phil's salary, hardly anyone BUT him deserves that much as a Coordinator.

There is no way 1.1 million is on the low end of pay. I didn't look it up but there is no way that it isn't in the top 30, or maybe at worst, top 40 for all of college football. Absolutely no way.

Reactions: Ad-Hawk
There is no way 1.1 million is on the low end of pay. I didn't look it up but there is no way that it isn't in the top 30, or maybe at worst, top 40 for all of college football. Absolutely no way.
If you’re referring to my post. I was suggesting it’s on the low end of what most thought Iowa would be paying for the new OC. Not that it’s on the low end of OC pay.

Considering there are, at least in a financial sense, two major conferences now, if he’s 30-40, it would be on the low end of peer athletics departments.

Phil at 1.9 million is obviously, and deservedly on the high end, no matter how you slice it.

If you’re referring to my post. I was suggesting it’s on the low end of what most thought Iowa would be paying for the new OC. Not that it’s on the low end of OC pay.

Considering there are, at least in a financial sense, two major conferences now, if he’s 30-40, it would be on the low end of peer athletics departments.

Phil at 1.9 million is obviously, and deservedly on the high end, no matter how you slice it.
Okay, this makes sense with the added context. I agree with this

Reactions: Birky

I prefer to compare conference records, as you are comparing teams competing against other teams on their level and resources.

Lester went 26-20 (.565) in the MAC
Campbell has gone 38-34 (.528) in the B12

For comparison, Kirk has gone 122-85 (.589) in the B1G.

I prefer to compare conference records, as you are comparing teams competing against other teams on their level and resources.

Lester went 26-20 (.565) in the MAC
Campbell has gone 38-34 (.528) in the B12

For comparison, Kirk has gone 122-85 (.589) in the B1G.
Now that Campbell is back in a G7 conference, those numbers should start ticking up for him again.

In all seriousness, it was weird that Lester was fired. Western Michigan isn’t exactly a blue blood. I realize it was a new AD, but man…

Now that Campbell is back in a G7 conference, those numbers should start ticking up for him again.

In all seriousness, it was weird that Lester was fired. Western Michigan isn’t exactly a blue blood. I realize it was a new AD, but man…

He came in right after Fleck with the program at a historic high point so I don't think they were particularly thrilled with just hovering around .500 for six years either. When the bottom fell out at the end that was enough. I do not get the sense the fanbase was unhappy with the decision and the extension got a decent bit of criticism

And look at Western Mich's record this year (2023). Mr. AD better hope things look a little better this season.

Reactions: Birky
First of all, with respect to the genius comment, flattery will get you everywhere.

With respect to your last statement, I'm inclined to agree that these raises most certainly factored into the remaining pool of money available for the OC. I believe Kirk's last contract negotiations with Barta included not only his salary, but the pool of money available for assistants. In short, money spent on existing assistants likely meant less money available for any new hires.

He came in right after Fleck with the program at a historic high point so I don't think they were particularly thrilled with just hovering around .500 for six years either. When the bottom fell out at the end that was enough. I do not get the sense the fanbase was unhappy with the decision and the extension got a decent bit of criticism
You’re not wrong, but I would say with a fair amount of confidence that it had more to do with the fact that they had a new athletics director, than it did with Lester’s performance.

To fire a football coach at Western Michigan because he went 5-7 once seems weird. Of course, we have no idea what other factors may have been involved, but his on field performance was pretty decent.

First of all, with respect to the genius comment, flattery will get you everywhere.

With respect to your last statement, I'm inclined to agree that these raises most certainly factored into the remaining pool of money available for the OC. I believe Kirk's last contract negotiations with Barta included not only his salary, but the pool of money available for assistants. In short, money spent on existing assistants likely meant less money available for any new hires.
If they needed more money for the right person, you can bet they'd go get it.

Yeah, the chances that Iowa football couldn’t scratch together a couple hundred thousand more for the OC they wanted, is not a commonsensical conclusion. It’s not impossible, but I’m not buying that.

Reactions: JLDHAWK
Probably, but there has to be a pool of money that is agreed upon and Kirk has ultimate discretion on how that pool of money is allocated.

Nostradamus is what you shall be referred to as!

Probably, but there has to be a pool of money that is agreed upon and Kirk has ultimate discretion on how that pool of money is allocated.
Yeah but even big corporations seize the right opportunity whatever the budget, whatever the cost..at least within reason a few hundred thousand is within reason

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT