ADVERTISEMENT

Let's stop with calls for Fran's firing!

RoundRock620

All-Conference
Apr 19, 2009
We are all frustrated this year. Fran made mistakes in recruiting and missed on some really good point guards. But, he deserves chance to fix things next season, and he deserves we let him sort it out without all this bitching and crying. I love Fran, and I am frustrated with his stubbornness but I want to give him a chance. I think he needs to replace 2 (older) assistants, find a tough point guard graduate transfer, and things can look better next year. Go Hawks!

We are all frustrated this year. Fran made mistakes in recruiting and missed on some really good point guards. But, he deserves chance to fix things next season, and he deserves we let him sort it out without all this bitching and crying. I love Fran, and I am frustrated with his stubbornness but I want to give him a chance. I think he needs to replace 2 (older) assistants, find a tough point guard graduate transfer, and things can look better next year. Go Hawks!

Even before we knew about the crazy buyout on his contract, Fran was definitely going to be back next year. While I think some of his other teams have been disappointing as well, this is the first year the team has clearly performed significantly under expectations.

My biggest concern is that Fran is not going to make the moves necessary to get things moving forward again. I doubt very much we see any changes in his assistants. I doubt very much we see much happen with a graduate transfer (or any transfers for that matter). I fear that we will see many of the same problems again next year. Adding Wieskamp at the 2 or 3, and getting some good minutes from CM at the point will help, but I still don't see the team being able to guard, and that's going to continue to kill them.

But, he deserves chance to fix things next season, and he deserves we let him sort it out without all this bitching and crying.
giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Even before we knew about the crazy buyout on his contract, Fran was definitely going to be back next year. While I think some of his other teams have been disappointing as well, this is the first year the team has clearly performed significantly under expectations.

My biggest concern is that Fran is not going to make the moves necessary to get things moving forward again. I doubt very much we see any changes in his assistants. I doubt very much we see much happen with a graduate transfer (or any transfers for that matter). I fear that we will see many of the same problems again next year. Adding Wieskamp at the 2 or 3, and getting some good minutes from CM at the point will help, but I still don't see the team being able to guard, and that's going to continue to kill them.

Maybe so, but let's see what happens. Regarding buyout - buyout will not happen as long as people come, but if they average 7,000 midway next season, things will happen in a hurry. Iowa administration cares only about money, especially with current President who is working very hard to turn this university into an Iowa community college, but if people stop coming, things will change. I hope Fran will make changes.

I like all of our assistants. But some younger blood would be nice. I mentioned Dean Oliver in an earlier post. Since he will be without a job next year(most likely). What about DeanO?

I agree I am sick of the bitching. Let it go, as Fran is the going anywhere for at least the next 6 years. And we Will Have some good teams coming up. Next year's team will be the first 'veteran' team in several years. That will make a difference. Plus we get Joe.... The ship will sail to brighter seas. I have no doubt.

If Fran was likely to do the changes you mention, then no one in their right mind would call for his firing. In reality, he appears to be very stubborn with Old man's disease and more likely to dig in his heels and resist change.

Anyway, Fran is going no where because he's got a $10 million buyout. Fire Barta has to be the 1st step in improving Iowa's athletic department..

I have accepted the fact that Fran is here for two more years (minimum). I have now moved my "hot seat" talk to one Mr. Gary Barta. Here is why:

If Iowa Basketball continues to struggle next year paired along with everything that Barta has done wrong (terrible handling of contracts, legal problems etc) he will be gone. In comes the new AD who will evaluate Fran for one year and make his decision.

Which two assistants do you speak of?

Fran has to do something in the offf season. If we come back with the same team as this year we will be a bottom feeder for a 2nd year.

Fran is here for a while and I get that. If he doesn’t make changes or bring in a grad transfer. Mark me as one fan who wont buy tickets or attend anymore games

Reactions: dawgs_04
I have accepted the fact that Fran is here for two more years (minimum). I have now moved my "hot seat" talk to one Mr. Gary Barta. Here is why:

If Iowa Basketball continues to struggle next year paired along with everything that Barta has done wrong (terrible handling of contracts, legal problems etc) he will be gone. In comes the new AD who will evaluate Fran for one year and make his decision.
#firebarta

The buyout thing just killed any hope I had of a direction change with Fran.

Next year should have been his last chance to win or leave but now hes going to keep doing the same schitck for at least 2 more years.

He doesn't learn, he doesn't change or adapt.

Next year will be marginally better with Joe and Connor but it will still be musical chair substitutions and no defense.

We may not agree about a lot of Fran’s qualities but, I don’t think anyone in their right mind thinks Fran isn’t smart.

So, going into next year Fran knows the defense needs to improve in a big way....there has to be a major step forward.

That said, being stubborn has zero effect on how he will make that happen. He may or may not make any changes in the coaching staff or roster make up.

That’s my guess for this reason...as bad as this season sucks, the difference between being this bad and being pretty decent isn’t as big as some assume. If this current team plays average defense (for the B10) takes care of the ball (like they have been trending lately) they probably have around 7 more wins this year already......18-5ish right now.

Next year we only trade Dom and Brady? for Joe W and Connor which helps fill needs on this team.

Would I like us to add a PG, sure. Do I think that would make us better? Sure. Can this team be upper level B10 without that addition, yes I think we can.

One area I probably disagree with many on here about....this team has talent....they have good talent. We play good team defense, share the ball on offense without turning it over this team will be successful.

We may not agree about a lot of Fran’s qualities but, I don’t think anyone in their right mind thinks Fran isn’t smart.

So, going into next year Fran knows the defense needs to improve in a big way....there has to be a major step forward.

That said, being stubborn has zero effect on how he will make that happen. He may or may not make any changes in the coaching staff or roster make up.

That’s my guess for this reason...as bad as this season sucks, the difference between being this bad and being pretty decent isn’t as big as some assume. If this current team plays average defense (for the B10) takes care of the ball (like they have been trending lately) they probably have around 7 more wins this year already......18-5ish right now.

Next year we only trade Dom and Brady? for Joe W and Connor which helps fill needs on this team.

Would I like us to add a PG, sure. Do I think that would make us better? Sure. Can this team be upper level B10 without that addition, yes I think we can.

One area I probably disagree with many on here about....this team has talent....they have good talent. We play good team defense, share the ball on offense without turning it over this team will be successful.

I agree I think the margin is small in college sports. However, right now Iowa has the worst defense of any Power 5 team per KenPom.

https://kenpom.com/index.php?s=RankAdjDE

Yeah, if they just play average Big 10 defense it would go a long way. Getting that much better is tough.

I dont see what it is hes doing that should lead us to believe he is smart.

Hes well spoken and seems intelligent but smart people continue to make adjustments untill a problem is fixed.

Smart people realize defense is necessary to win. Smart people figure out what works and what doesn't.

Smart people dont put together a roster that makes no sense and overrecruit one position while ignoring others.

If he was smart he wouldn't find himself in this position.

Fran seems like a smart guy but the product doesn't seem smart.

Fran seems more like a dreamer to me.

Reactions: JAMAM
Wow, I didn't realize we were the actual worst.
Hard to imagine much worse....just nearly gave up 100 to nebraska in regulation when another poster said their previous high was 78? Ouch.

I think he deserves at least another year but i will agree that people shouldnt bring his firing up if Coach agrees to stop bitching and crying to the refs about missed calls while he keeps quiet about his poorly constructed, low athleticism, historically awful at defense yr 8 basketball squad.

#firebarta

Reactions: RocknRollface
Fran has had 8 years. In my opinion he has done very little. Do we have 1 or 2 ncaa tournament wins ? Not enough.

Reactions: JAMAM
Do you actually think he will make these changes? Or, is it wishful thinking? The man can simply not coach defense.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops

I was with you until this.

Fran has had 8 years. In my opinion he has done very little. Do we have 1 or 2 ncaa tournament wins ? Not enough.
I agree. Eight years and no improvement noted. Why would anyone think he's on the brink of a major turn around?

So you want to give a guy who has failed so miserably at recruiting that the senior and junior classes consist of Uhl and a walk on more time? The same guy who would rather tank the program than get a PG in here so the players he "fights for" don't have have to suffer through a season of blowouts. Broken record alert: There are two choices for Fran. Either is a stubborn egomaniac who thinks so much of his coaching abilities that he really thought he could win with this roster OR he is the the worst evaluator of talent at the P5 level.

So next year, are we still young and inexperienced because of Connor, Weiskamp, and Frederick or does next season count? I am totally fine keeping Fran, but if we do, let's embrace being the new Penn State and have $5.00 tickets. Fran can deliver pizza slices to the student section and Speraw and Dillard can shoot hot dogs into the stands with an air cannon.

Iowa is not competitive. It's not like we are losing games in the last 5 minutes because we are a young team. It's a struggle to get to the 10 minute mark in the first half not being down 15. If they make a run, they expend so much energy they can't maintain it. Other teams simply have better players, which is it looks so easy for them and so hard for Iowa. If Cook or Bohannon have an off night, we run the risk of Purdue repeat.

I too would like to see Fran stay.

Fran is not going anywhere because of Barta's extension, and unless 1 or more of his assistants retire, it's likely everyone comes back next year.
Now in my opinion the defensive posture of this team has to improve by leaps and bounds by next year or it will be ground hog day all over again.
I know that Fran's assistants have been here since day 1, but my god, nothing I've seen on the court would indicate that anyone of them is not replaceable if that should happen.
I'm all for change to this coaching staff, if it would bring in someone who values defense as a integral part of playing this game. Something that our head coach seems to have forgotten since he's been here. Dementia can do that to you. :mad:

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Do you actually think he will make these changes? Or, is it wishful thinking? The man can simply not coach defense.

Its almost like he is dead set on trying to prove you can win at basketball without any real defense.

It actually can be done to a certain extent, Mike Dantoni has done it in the nba now twice, but you need the perfect mix of players around one phenomenal talent and we dont have anything close to that.

It will likely never work in major conference college ball.

Its almost like he is dead set on trying to prove you can win at basketball without any real defense.

It actually can be done to a certain extent, Mike Dantoni has done it in the nba now twice, but you need the perfect mix of players around one phenomenal talent and we dont have anything close to that.

It will likely never work in major conference college ball.
I got a kick out of this because I referred to Fran as Fran Dantoni one of his 1st years here on this board and doubted we would ever have any serious big ten/postseason success with his system, just as Dantoni cannot in postseason NBA play. It seams they do not realize the historically great running teams had smothering defense(UNLV). If you ever listen to the Shark’s interviews, he always refers to how great their defense was.

I understand the spirit of what you're saying, and while Iowa has never been this bad defensively under Fran, it seems pretty clear that the things that have consistently ailed Iowa basketball during Fran's tenure (athleticism and defense) will never be adequately fixed while he is head coach. So, while it seems logical to assume Iowa will be better next season, and I certainly think they will be, bigger picture in mind, though, we've already likely seen this program's ceiling with Fran at the helm. So, while knee-jerk "Fire Fran!" reactions are stupid and pointless, looking for a replacement for Fran down the road is pretty logical at this point.

Furthermore, and not that anyone needed this confirmation, but news of Fran's buyout situation demonstrates just how bad of an AD Gary Barta is.

Step One has to be canning Barta. Has to be.

I dont see what it is hes doing that should lead us to believe he is smart.

Hes well spoken and seems intelligent but smart people continue to make adjustments untill a problem is fixed.

Smart people realize defense is necessary to win. Smart people figure out what works and what doesn't.

Smart people dont put together a roster that makes no sense and overrecruit one position while ignoring others.

If he was smart he wouldn't find himself in this position.

Fran seems like a smart guy but the product doesn't seem smart.

Fran seems more like a dreamer to me.

Smart enough to get himself $10 million guaranteed. Similar to Lickliter, it will have to last him rest of his life. After you are bad enough to get fired by Iowa, no one is calling your agent.

So you want to give a guy who has failed so miserably at recruiting that the senior and junior classes consist of Uhl and a walk on more time? The same guy who would rather tank the program than get a PG in here so the players he "fights for" don't have have to suffer through a season of blowouts. Broken record alert: There are two choices for Fran. Either is a stubborn egomaniac who thinks so much of his coaching abilities that he really thought he could win with this roster OR he is the the worst evaluator of talent at the P5 level.

So next year, are we still young and inexperienced because of Connor, Weiskamp, and Frederick or does next season count? I am totally fine keeping Fran, but if we do, let's embrace being the new Penn State and have $5.00 tickets. Fran can deliver pizza slices to the student section and Speraw and Dillard can shoot hot dogs into the stands with an air cannon.

Iowa is not competitive. It's not like we are losing games in the last 5 minutes because we are a young team. It's a struggle to get to the 10 minute mark in the first half not being down 15. If they make a run, they expend so much energy they can't maintain it. Other teams simply have better players, which is it looks so easy for them and so hard for Iowa. If Cook or Bohannon have an off night, we run the risk of Purdue repeat.

Ihawkhoops I understand how you feel....it's very clear. I don't post this to argue with you, but to have a discussion.

I am completely in the dumps about this year. It is horrible and I had very high hopes for how strong this young team would be......but this is clearly the anomaly for Fran's tenure at Iowa. I believe it is most likely an anomaly for Fran's entire coaching career.

The current senior and junior class have not turned out the way it was hoped.......I would agree that, I would agree that those were very poor classes. On the flip side, if we are being objective, Fran has actually recruited pretty well the majority of the time. I think our current roster of Freshman and Sophomores is pretty talented....and if he supplements these classes with the right players we will have a very very talented roster.

I agree completely that the defense under Fran has been a significant weakness of his program...much of the time, but not all of the time.

Statistically we have had some decent defensive teams under Fran. I think we can return to having a reasonably good defense again next year.......if not, then I think Fran is gone regardless of the buy out and the talent that is headed to Iowa City.

We can look at our own football program under Kirk and this same discussion has been had during or after a number of seasons....but it get's turned around. Some where I read about the MSU football coach......two years ago they were really bad....but it was the anomaly.

I understand that you don't think keeping Fran is the right thing to do......that you are adamant about him being removed. You could be right, that this is what we need. You could also be wrong.

As a long time fan I want to return to the end of the Lute Olson era and the beginning of the Tom Davis era where we could compete with anybody on a national basis....where we were a legit B10 title contender at a time when B10 hoops were really strong. That said I don't want to be the Nebraska Football fan base that repeatedly gets coaches fired....

My last point is this....there is no for sure answer. If Fran gets fired (whenever) there is not guarantee that the next hire isn't another TL....then again, maybe it's the next Coach K......Rick Petino senior....etc....etc.

Fran runs a clean program from everything I can see....he is clearly VERY competitive and wants to win badly.

Last but not least....you made the comment about Fran being an either or...stubborn-ego maniac-poor talent evaluator. Evaluating talent is not an issue...A White, Peter Jok even injured, JB, Garza, Cook, etc. etc. etc...

The other option...much like Kirk, I don't believe he is a stubborn ego maniac, so much as he knows a system...he's made it work everywhere he has been. He has seen it succeed and believes that with the right talent it can take him and his program to new heights. I believe that is the goal he is working towards....and I hope he is right and gets it done.

What contracts have proven to be a problem again?

Fair points Perry and I am not here to argue or disparage anyone. My preference would be for Fran to stay and win as much as that may come as a surprise. However, last season and this season have eroded my confidence in his ability to do that. I am not going to rehash my laundry list of frustrations with Fran-you spell most out in your post. Years like this hurt a program; players, fans, and recruits. Fran has not parlayed better years into better recruiting, so I am even more skeptical he a: recognizes the problem or b: can fix it.

Reactions: perryhawk
Fair points Perry and I am not here to argue or disparage anyone. My preference would be for Fran to stay and win as much as that may come as a surprise. However, last season and this season have eroded my confidence in his ability to do that. I am not going to rehash my laundry list of frustrations with Fran-you spell most out in your post. Years like this hurt a program; players, fans, and recruits. Fran has not parlayed better years into better recruiting, so I am even more skeptical he a: recognizes the problem or b: can fix it.

That’s a very reasonable position....I can appreciate that, and agree with a lot of it.

So 8 seasons hasn’t been long enough!? But Year #9 will be THE year for things to change?

So 8 seasons hasn’t been long enough!? But Year #9 will be THE year for things to change?

Matt Painter, in years 8 & 9, had a losing record....I bet they’re glad they didn’t fire him.

We fired Davis for doing much better. Time to stop calling for his firing and stop going to
games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT