ADVERTISEMENT

Let's talk BBQ sauce...

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
I tried the Blues Hog Champions' Blend sauce the other night.

blues-hog-champions-blend.png

Damn... that's some fine BBQ sauce right there.

Do you have a favorite BBQ sauce?

Last edited:
I usually make my own sauces. I relatively frequently make clones of Fat Boys BBQ (Florida’s not so sweet ketchup and mustard sauce), Sweatman’s (South Carolina’s mustard and carmelized onion), Big Bob Gibson (Alabama traditional white sauce), Moonlite (Kentucky black sauce made from soy and Worcestershire), Lexington (thin vinegary ketchup sauce from western North Carolina), Braddah Hutts (Hawaiian with guava paste, honey and tamari) and Arthur Bryant (Kansas City traditional with ketchup and molasses). I also make my own sauce with Whataburger spicy ketchup, Grey Poupon mustard, white miso paste, Geo Watkins mushroom ketchup, Taiwanese black vinegar (I use Kong Fen), Jammy Chai superior soy sauce, Golden Boy Fish sauce, Everglades seasoning, onion powder, regular garlic powder, black garlic powder, freshly crushed dried tangerine peel, fenugreek powder, freshly crushed dried apricot, freshly crushed grains of paradise, freshly crushed long pepper, grated sumac, Korean black sugar (alternatively you can use dark brown American sugar but it’s not as deep of a flavor) and Cavender’s Greek seasoning.

As far as commercial sauces, the only one I can easily find at Publix that is tolerable is Blue Front BBQ sauce. Which is similar to a Fat Boys clone but a little milder, less assertive in flavor. It is not overly sweet or overly vinegary so it’s a nice generic bbq flavor that works well with pork and chicken, even burgers and brisket.

Last edited:
I bought a bottle of Arby’s q sauce for $1.50 this week. Gonna use on a 2.5 lb pork loin tomorrow. Curious to see ho the family reacts. I don’t think it will be our favorite, but I bet it works out pretty good.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tradition
Depends on what I’m feeling. I like sweet baby rays, I like cookies, I try the small places stuff when I visit and will buy a bottle. I used to make a sauce at home but now I’m lazy.

Last edited:
As far as commercial sauces, usually famous Dave's devil's spit. May add some apple cider vinegar and brown mustard to it. Usually I'll just doctor up whatever boring sauce is in the fridge. Never a consistent recipe, but that's part of the fun.

You mentioned earlier that you jazz yours up, just offset the sweetness. Try some vinegar or even spice so it’s a sweet taste with a burn.
It's fine. It's what I grew up on (although my folks usually mixed some ketchup and brown sugar in). Just prefer to start from a far less sweet base sauce.

It's fine. It's what I grew up on (although my folks usually mixed some ketchup and brown sugar in). Just prefer to start from a far less sweet base sauce.

We grew up on it too, my dad used it for his ribs and would add mustard and hot sauce. He switched over the past decade to Sweet Baby Rays for his base.

I’m a fan of Devils Spit from Famous Dave’s myself

As far as mass marketed ones, the Heinz series of regional sauces is pretty good. Before you laugh look at the ingredients. What you won't find is HFCS. What you will find is pure sugar cane and molasses. The Kansas City and Memphis styles are pretty good.

Reactions: The Tradition
As far as mass marketed ones, the Heinz series of regional sauces is pretty good. Before you laugh look at the ingredients. What you won't find is HFCS. What you will find is pure sugar cane and molasses. The Kansas City and Memphis styles are pretty good.

No corn syrup?

Iowans, are you going to stand for this????

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I tried the Blues Hog Champions' Blend sauce the other night.

blues-hog-champions-blend.png

Damn... that's some fine BBQ sauce right there.

Do you have a favorite BBQ sauce?
I thought that was the product of local outfit Hawgeye’s but guess not. It is great and they sell it by the $20 jug at my local BBQ equipment place.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT