ADVERTISEMENT

Levi Haines

Any Hawkeye fan that doesn’t recognize or acknowledge that Haines is an incredible talent and very much a NCAA champ threat, right now, is either a moran or purposely obtuse. Kid is a freaking dynamo.
The kid was a top 10 P4P recruit in the country and a cadet world team member. There is no denying his talent, and I like the fact that he seems to open it up and score points.

With that said, any PSU fan that doesn’t recognize or acknowledge that Peyton was robbed :))) of a TD that significantly changed the last two periods of the match is either a moran or purposely obtuse.

Give me the field in two weeks.

Last edited:
I would say some positions warrant more reaction time than others. If that happened in bounds with the same amount of time left, there is no way in hell that wasn’t a takedown. You can move the goalpost however you wish. To be clear, if that was a Saldate instead of Haines, I would say the exact same thing. Now, would I be happy it wasn’t called a takedown? Sure. Would I admit I thought it was? Absolutely.
I 100% agree with you. If it happened in the center of the mat with 1 second left it's 2 every time. The edge introduced another variable that was pretty clearly taken into consideration.

The kid was a top 10 P4P recruit in the country and a cadet world team member. There is no denying his talent, and I like the fact that he seems to open it up and score points.

With that said, any PSU fan that doesn’t recognize or acknowledge that Peyton wasn't robbed :))) of a TD that significantly changed the last two periods of the match is either a moran or purposely obtuse.

Give me the field in two weeks.
Fair enough. Didn’t even see the match in question. Forgot to quote the post I was responding to. I’ll take him for a cool $50 to the HWC or WFL, just for shits and giggles.

Any Hawkeye fan that doesn’t recognize or acknowledge that Haines is an incredible talent and very much a NCAA champ threat, right now, is either a moran or purposely obtuse. Kid is a freaking dynamo.
I think he's definitely a top 5 talent but don't think he will win it this year. But after another year in the room at PSU nothing would surprise me. Very very freaking good!!

1. No control before he went out of bounds.
2. (The real reason) Refs don't overturn their own calls unless the mistake is SO OBVIOUS they can't hide it....
No control? He had his arms around him and planted Haines on the mat. If that happened in the center of the mat that's 2 all day, they ruled Robb was OoB. Ego got involved in the early challenges and those refs weren't reversing anything on review last night, plain and simple.

Woods getting hosed out of back points(again) was just about as bad as the No takedown call. The inconsistent stall calls were pathetic as well. Consi semi’s for Cass compared to how they called Woods for stalling was pathetic. That being said Haines is a legit contender right now. Pretty sure he is not beating AOC but anybody else better watch out he has confidence now.

Woods getting hosed out of back points(again) was just about as bad as the No takedown call. The inconsistent stall calls were pathetic as well. Consi semi’s for Cass compared to how they called Woods for stalling was pathetic. That being said Haines is a legit contender right now. Pretty sure he is not beating AOC but anybody else better watch out he has confidence now.
Haines is legit and will finish top 4 this year, but I don't think he wins 157 this year. Next year he will be a big problem at 157. If he goes 165 he isn't winning 165 next year either though.

Haines is legit and will finish top 4 this year, but I don't think he wins 157 this year. Next year he will be a big problem at 157. If he goes 165 he isn't winning 165 next year either though.
He has the Starocci formula going. Very tough to score on, tough on top, never gives up in a position and incredibly strong. Someone will have to beat him because he won't be giving anything away.

Reactions: IAChief32 and tack8
Keep in mind, Iowa was handed 8 "free" points due to MFF and Injury defaults. Also, PSU had 5 more wrestlers with #1 and #2 seeds which meant 5 less PSU guys that were given a chance to get bonus points in a round 1 matchup. You don't think guys like Brooks, RBY, Starocci, etc would have racked up some nice bonus points had they gone up against the #14 seeds in round 1?
Keep in mind If Haines doesn’t work out you’re looking at second place. Remind me, what happened to Robbie Howard p4p #1 overall recruit of 2020?

Last edited:
Keep in mind If Haines doesn’t work out you’re looking at second place. Remind me, what happened to Robbie Howard p4p #1 overall recruit of 2020?
Lol no he wasn’t. Maybe early in his HS career but not after he took some losses and the shoulder issues started later in his career.

So injuries might affect team outcomes? That’s a new one. Just like if Howard was never hurt, psu’s margin would have been higher.
Or does that not figure in any equation? I don’t really think you’re making any point.

I wonder where some of these p4p rankings are coming from. Someone posted RBY was top 10. I don’t think so. And while Levi ended up #7, he was outside the top 10 when he committed as a junior. He moved up as he worked with David Taylor & Co his senior year. Starocci was another late climber, only making the top 10 in the final rankings.

Instead of a comparison of where these recruits ended up on the Big Board after their senior year seasons were complete, it would be interesting to see where they ranked when committing.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GlenHawk
I would say some positions warrant more reaction time than others. If that happened in bounds with the same amount of time left, there is no way in hell that wasn’t a takedown. You can move the goalpost however you wish. To be clear, if that was a Saldate instead of Haines, I would say the exact same thing. Now, would I be happy it wasn’t called a takedown? Sure. Would I admit I thought it was? Absolutely.
I agree. If this was more of a scramble continuing out of bounds then I could see an argument for reaction time. I would argue that the elements of control in this position start while they are both on their feet. As soon as he touches the ground it's a TD.

Why do these seemingly good discussions often take the wrong turn? And can we quit with the Sandusky shit already. I love the Hawks and our fan base, but every time someone from Iowa brings up his name we look like freaking idiots, like we can't fight back with wrestling comments so we have to bring up a very sad time in PSU history. That shit could have just as easily happened at Iowa or in your hometown, so can we quit with it already...please!

Why do these seemingly good discussions often take the wrong turn? And can we quit with the Sandusky shit already. I love the Hawks and our fan base, but every time someone from Iowa brings up his name we look like freaking idiots, like we can't fight back with wrestling comments so we have to bring up a very sad time in PSU history. That shit could have just as easily happened at Iowa or in your hometown, so can we quit with it already...please!
It's a very look for a fan base. My wife was a victim of CSA, a friend was molested by a priest, and I almost was a victim so I take the issue very seriously. I have stated my opinions on PSU multiple times in many venues and most PSU fans don't like my take.
I appreciate your thoughts, somehow I think people would not toss out those comments if it happened to their friend or maybe a relative.

I agree. If this was more of a scramble continuing out of bounds then I could see an argument for reaction time. I would argue that the elements of control in this position start while they are both on their feet. As soon as he touches the ground it's a TD.
I'm not big with the rules on this and I've seen some back and forth about it but you can't do much after the referees review the tape. The only thing I refereed was powerlifting and that was pretty easy but even with that some things were close. The difference with that is it's good or not good on a lift, not yes or no for a point on a one on one situation.

BTW , I knew a guy on the case, that is why my take is different. He told me every single time he worked a CSA case where there was some corporate structure they at least tried to cover it up. School, charity, business or church, the initial action was always to cover it up. He might have worked a hundred or more of these cases too, so it wasn't a small sample size.

• Sad
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Reel in your P$U fan boys, they keep showing up for beat downs only money can buy.
And after page 1 it’s cesspool law, a wrong turn must be taken.

No control? He had his arms around him and planted Haines on the mat. If that happened in the center of the mat that's 2 all day, they ruled Robb was OoB. Ego got involved in the early challenges and those refs weren't reversing anything on review last night, plain and simple.
Except for backs with Real - then all bets were off.

Reactions: Spoons and Gobblin
Problem is at nationals for Iowa 133,157,174,and 184 won't score many points at nationals and 149,165, and 197 will fight for AA . Where penn st should at worst have 3 champs 133, 174 ,184 and 3 more AA 157,197 and hwt with a good shot at 149 and 141. .

A very simple insult to novice PSU fans who like to come over and troll. You at least generally add content to a good conversation.
It's pretty simple minded of an insult and as I've said, it's struck close to home for me. I prefer to talk wrestling and enjoy some back and forth.

I wonder where some of these p4p rankings are coming from. Someone posted RBY was top 10. I don’t think so. And while Levi ended up #7, he was outside the top 10 when he committed as a junior. He moved up as he worked with David Taylor & Co his senior year. Starocci was another late climber, only making the top 10 in the final rankings.

Instead of a comparison of where these recruits ended up on the Big Board after their senior year seasons were complete, it would be interesting to see where they ranked when committing.
You're right. RBY was all the way down at #12 on Flo's 2018 big board, right behind Michael Beard at #11. Also, are you really trying to position an argument around PSU making these kids better from the time they committed to the end of their senior HS season? LOL

Screen-Shot-2023-03-07-at-8-23-59-AM.png

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT